Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Sorry my mistake - have edited the post. Actually what it lacks is adaptable storage which is a good thing as this article from Android Headlines explains especially if you use a dodgy SD card. As I prefer LCD screens I think this might be my next phone. I'd probably prefer a 5.5 inch screen (using an opo at the moment) but I guess it's only 0.2 smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

digitaldr wrote:
    Sorry my mistake - have edited the post. Actually what it lacks is adaptable storage which is a good thing as this

But as part of android 5.0 if you format the micro SD card its basically treated as phone storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

digitaldr wrote:
    from Android Headlines explains especially if you use a dodgy SD card. As I prefer LCD screens I think this might be my next phone. I'd probably prefer a 5.5 inch screen (using an opo at the moment) but I guess it's only 0.2 smaller.

But if you don't count the on-screen buttons, the screen of the lg g3 will be same maybe a tiny bit smaller than the galaxy s7s 5.1 inch screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

I'm very meh on the whole thing tbh.

- Battery is a let down (Smaller screen and 820 might give 4-5 screen on tho? )

- They could have done with upping the MP of the main camera to 20 given Sony can do it (then again it looks to still be better than all the competition)

- No black option :( Not sure I'm digging the colours looking at that front colour stripe might get annoying

• Advertisement

My only problem with the Edge is the actual edge haha I don't like it.

So I suppose it would be the normal S7 or the LG G5.

I don't suppose the edge phones can have it turned off and get a case that covers the edge no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Well that's me definitely not getting this phone anyway, design in fugly, and it's to gimmicky in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Not a fan of the gimmicks and the battery will make me wait another year, the battery on the LG G4 is shocking once you play games....

Not sure if it is worse since I updated to Marshmallow...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Any idea on price? I read €650

If that's true my G4 will be the last LG

• Advertisement

I really did love the G4, def my fav flagship phone to date and I had the Z3 , Galaxy 6 etc.

Don't tell me it's true that the laser autofocus has been dropped? I read it on android authority.

Deal breaker 100% for me if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I really did love the G4, def my fav flagship phone to date and I had the Z3 , Galaxy 6 etc.

Would you still recommend it as a cheap new buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads is it true that the battery is only 2800 mah? Shocking if that's true, the G2 which came out in 2013 had a bigger battery.

Battery size has proven to be one of the biggest concerns for consumers when buying new phones, why these large multi national companies cannot understand that is beyond me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Any word if they kept the IR blaster? I work in a few bars and it's really cool having the ability to turn off all the TVs at night with my phone rather than hunting for every fecking remote.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Lads is it true that the battery is only 2800 mah? Shocking if that's true, the G2 which came out in 2013 had a bigger battery.

Battery size has proven to be one of the biggest concerns for consumers when buying new phones, why these large multi national companies cannot understand that is beyond me.

Totally agree. For such a fundamental aspect, LG have ruined an otherwise very interesting phone.

I don't give a damn about magic slot add ons if the phone itself isn't up to scratch.

The G5 was top of my list.
    Now with this miserly battery it's struck off.

How I wish some LG executive was reading this!

Maybe if they get bad feedback on Twitter they might revisit?

Worth a tweet if you agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

You just know the battery was reduced as the 820 CPU would be that little bit more efficient being a 14nm possess so on paper at least, so the 2800 would be the same as 3000

But they had the chance to acknowledge the fact that people want bigger and bigger batteries regardless of power requirement of the device... and they blew it.

Bugs me the audio will still suck as they won't use a decent DAC now that B&O are involved. Also getting a case to support those extras will be impossible.

For me they just had to use an 820 CPU, 4 GB RAM and 16mp/f1.6 and 3500+ battery and I would have got it no question. Now, I just don't know. Will probably wait till the winter price drop.

I reckon 4/5 months after release will see the first price drop... that's from looking at the G4 on camel camel camel.

• Advertisement

biebiebie wrote: »
    Would you still recommend it as a cheap new buy?
    Oh most def, I still use mine now, love it.

After taking some time I think I'm still going to go for it. Battery should be the same as G4 with the 820 and smaller screen, plus will be getting a spare battery and cradle anyway.

The design is starting to grow on me and the camera bump will be hidden in a case.

Those specs and those cameras are drawing me. Really wanna change to android as I'm bored off iOS now.

I don't like the Samsungs and there's no other android out there that I like as much as this.

Mourinho wrote: »
    After taking some time I think I'm still going to go for it. Battery should be the same as G4 with the 820 and smaller screen, plus will be getting a spare battery and cradle anyway.

The design is starting to grow on me and the camera bump will be hidden in a case.

Those specs and those cameras are drawing me. Really wanna change to android as I'm bored off iOS now.

I don't like the Samsungs and there's no other android out there that I like as much as this.

Ah I remember when you made the choice to move to ios, was thinking 'Yea he'll be back'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

The G4 is unfortunately a far better looking phone.. Lets hope the performance makes it something you can live with looking at everyday..

god's toy wrote: »
    Ah I remember when you made the choice to move to ios, was thinking 'Yea he'll be back'

Yeah I've had a mixed bag between iOS and android last few years :)

Went from an S2 - iPhone 4s then tried the OnePlus One and will never touch that company again. Nexus 6 was lovely but the camera was terrible so sent it back with the 2 week grace period. Then had the iPhone 5s and went to the LG G4 but the lack of fingerprint sensor and rear speaker which got muffled easily annoyed me and have a 6s Plus at the moment.

I swore after the G4 if it's niggles that got me were sorted it would be my fav phone ever so I'm hoping there no major problems. I reckon I'll buy from Amazon UK anyway cause they are great for any issues in warranty. Providing the reviews don't spot any serious problems of course.

I think iOS is great but I love the customisation of android plus it's far easier make a range of devices work together, iOS can be a pain at times tbh. Even small things like being able to drop and drag, photos, videos, etc compared to having to convert and sync with iTunes.

Then tbh the specs for price got with android is usually better than Apple. Ok the iPhone 6 processor beats the LG G4 but the camera from the G4 whooped even the 6s Plus I have and it can be got for €450.

At least the G5 seems flat, thankfully a tempered glass protector will actually work this time, the curve of the G4 meant they kept peeling off!

Mourinho wrote: »
    At least the G5 seems flat, thankfully a tempered glass protector will actually work this time, the curve of the G4 meant they kept peeling off!

Probably my imagination but the top of the G5 looks like it has a slight curve to it :eek:

• Advertisement

Advertisement