Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G5

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

sentient_6 wrote: »
    So I went and got this with the argos bundle deal, ill realistically never use the modules but it was a good price for the phone. I'm a day with it now and I have to say I love it.

My S7 was driving me crazy with the lag so I'm enjoying the smooth sharp performance.

The coldness of the screen is a little jarring initially after the S7 but its not a problem.

Anyone with on here got the nougat update?!

I have the update via OTA, it did give a different life to it, the nougat update is pretty good on it.

Camera i do prefer much more the pictures from the LG G5, theres only one point the S7 beats the lg and thats the focus time for quick snap the lg will get the shot but it can miss the first shot and take it at the second shot where the S7 is almost hit at first shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm not seeing the update via ota and im having weird problems with lg bridge, phone connects to the laptop fine and the program says G5 in the bottom left corner but when I run the software update I get an error along the lines of cannot read current software version or something. Might try on a different laptop.

beardo81 wrote: »
    Be interested to hear how you get on with the 'friends' when you try them!

After I posted I realised I do mean to fully try out the dac and headphones!
    Patww79 wrote: »
    How does the camera fare for normal shots compared to the S7? To be hobest, despite all the great reviews, I've always found the S7 camera to be disappointing for regular shots coming from an LG G4.

At the moment I would say they are comparable, but the lg definitely isn't any better. Not to say it's worse either.

Nougat update finally came through ota last night. Its brilliant! Im not one to care to much about battery because I can charge regularly but the battery today is transformed. It seemed before like the battery never stopped dropping no matter what, but I pulled the phone off charge in the middle of the night and it was still at 100% when I woke 4 hrs later.

Still at 75% 13 hrs later, very light use though, but doze is obviously doing its thing.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I've grappling with whether to go with the G5 or v10 now that they can be bought at a cheaper price since launch. Primarily for the camera quality which I believe is the same or somewhat better than my former G4 (rip), which I loved.

The problem with the V10 for me is that it's too big which is something I struggled with with the G4. Also I found the volume buttons on the back difficult to locate when the phones in my pocket when using earphones. On the G5 they are on the side.

I much prefer the look of the G5. I can't understand why so may youtubers don't like it. Does it look really that bad in real life ?
    Also does a 5.2" screen make the phone much more manageable in the hand than a 5.5" screen. That would swing it for me. Otherwise I'd prefer a bigger screen.

I really like the ruggedness of the v10 but the G5 looks a bit on the brittle side. Is the G5 slippery or is it a bit more hardy looking than the pics suggest? I've seen that a replacement screen with digitizer cost's only 55 euro on alliexpress for the G5 so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned about that.

By the way, I watched a disassembly video of the v10 today and it looks almost the same as the insides of the G4. So the model numbers of these to phones are the wrong way around as the G5 is nothing like the G4 structurally !

Any owner comments appreciated. I will order one or the other in a week or so.

Screen is 5.3" on the G5.

Also keep in mind the V10 is missing some 4G bands that are used here.

I think V10 is a class looking rugged phone but I went for the G5 myself because it is that little bit newer spec and software wise. Design is nothing special but I put a spigen case over it anyway.

Im not sure the V10 is on nougat? The G5 is very nice running it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Screen is 5.3" on the G5.

Also keep in mind the V10 is missing some 4G bands that are used here.

I think V10 is a class looking rugged phone but I went for the G5 myself because it is that little bit newer spec and software wise. Design is nothing special but I put a spigen case over it anyway.

Im not sure the V10 is on nougat? The G5 is very nice running it.

H960a has all bands on 3 and Vodaphone Meteor and Tesco
    H901 has all bands on 3 and Vodaphone. Missing one on Meteor.
    Used this for that info. http://willmyphonework.net/ . Hope it's reliable.

I believe it's possible to enable missing bands on some of the models.
    I heard nougat in in the pipeline but not currently available.

Edit: Is G5 nougat currently rootable ?
    The V10 has been reported to boot loop the same as the G4 and Nexus 5X did too, so just watch those serial numbers.

That's why I mentioned the v10 looks very much like the G4 internally. :eek:

Leaning more towards the G5. Apparently battery life ain't great so nougat on the G5 would be a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 seamus009

has anybody got a LG g5 dual sim,and is their any issue with OTA,just bought one

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GReeves82

seamus009 wrote: »
    has anybody got a LG g5 dual sim,and is their any issue with OTA,just bought one
    saw some people having a hard time updating the software of their G5's using the bridge of LG through OTA. Unfortunately, I haven't found an answer yet. Would suggest you get in touch with LG's customer support or through their Facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Looking to pick up the Cam Plus 'friend' for the G5, can anyone comment if they have found it useful?
    Can't see any for sale on Adverts or in Ireland for a good price, might have to look on eBay 😬

Look on Cex. I sold them one recently, never used it to be honest.

Look on Cex. I sold them one recently, never used it to be honest.

Cheers lads. Do Cex post? I won't be near any of those stores. 35 ain't a bad price.

On a side note, has anyone else's battery life gone to sh*ite lately? I am getting feck all screen on time.

beardo81 wrote: »
    On a side note, has anyone else's battery life gone to sh*ite lately? I am getting feck all screen on time.

What i would do for a start: go to location settings and tap the 3 dots and make sure scanning is turned off. If you use viber go to its settings and find wifi sleep policy and make sure its set to device settings rather than always on. Then clear the recents. Then go to storage in settings and tap on the cached data to clear that too. Then fully turn off the phone for a few minutes.

See how you go after that. Side note don't make a habit of clearing recents etc.

Failing all that there's always the nuclear option and factory reset. Painful process and you'd obviously want to have all your back ups in order and a few hours of spare time to set everything up again.

What i would do for a start: go to location settings and tap the 3 dots and make sure scanning is turned off. If you use viber go to its settings and find wifi sleep policy and make sure its set to device settings rather than always on. Then clear the recents. Then go to storage in settings and tap on the cached data to clear that too. Then fully turn off the phone for a few minutes.

See how you go after that. Side note don't make a habit of clearing recents etc.

Failing all that there's always the nuclear option and factory reset. Painful process and you'd obviously want to have all your back ups in order and a few hours of spare time to set everything up again.

Cheers, I'll give those points a try. I don't mind a factory reset but it's a pain in the posterior!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Anyone know where it the best place to get a replacement screen for the G5?

Edit: got one on ebay uk , only 40 euro with frame, not bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ok so picked up a G5 on ebay with a cracked screen which wasn't that bad and replaced the screen myself. Came with the hi-fi module. Must have paid 150 euro on it in total.

I have to say the criticisms of this phone are complete nonsense. I wasn't a fan of a fingerprint scanner from my experience of owning a Samsung Galaxy S6 which was rubbish to the point of unsuable, but the G5 fingerprint scanner works flawlessly as far as I can see. Ditto there was complaints that there was a bit of wobble on the back facing on/off switch which I have found totally untrue and I know I have a 1.0 hardware version of the device.

I didn't realise before I bought the device that it has the same processor as the Galaxy S7. I must admit that because of the LG slant on the raw android software it doesn't feel as fast as the S7 but at the same time it's super fast so I've no issues with it in terms of performance.

As far as the hi-fi module is concerened it doesn't add much unless you playing hi-resolution files, the inbuild DAC is totally fine and somewhat better than my previous LG G4.

I think this phone can be picked up now at about 300 so if you ask me it's a far better option that looking at some mid-range phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement