Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism against white people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

ComfortKid wrote: »
    You can not win the award if you are white, which is discriminating people based on they're skin colour which is racism.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Ignoring the centuries of oppression that ethnic minorities suffered, and pretending like everyone in this world is treated exactly as fairly as you is so so ignorant, but if sticking to your dictionary definition and closing your eyes to the reality of the world around us keeps you happy then so be it

Fantastic, both extremes on a spectrum of idiocy within about 5 posts of each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Icepick wrote:
    Stupid or dishonest? You can't win a female beauty if you aren't a woman either.

Obviously. Big difference though, I was under the assumption that we cannot discriminate based on skin colour. I can have a men's football team but I can't have a white only football team.

A woman can't win the worlds strongest man either

Comparing sex's to racism is a poor contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Obviously. Big difference though, I was under the assumption that we cannot discriminate based on skin colour. I can have a men's football team but I can't have a white only football team.

A woman can't win the worlds strongest man either

Comparing sex's to racism is a poor contribution.

Where does it say the awards are based on skin colour?

You just made that bit up .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Valetta wrote: »
    Of course you can win the award if you're "white" ; whatever that means.

What colour skin would you say Easah Suliman has?

Your outrage is at best misguided.
    I agree that defining and classifying people by colour is stupid, but Suliam identifies with the Asian community and is considered asian despite possible being 'white passing' . If he considered himself white he wouldnt be in the competition

I agree that defining and classifying people by colour is stupid, but Suliam identifies with the Asian community and is considered asian despite possible being 'white passing' . If he considered himself white he wouldnt be in the competition

Why not? It's possible to be both an ethnic minority and white you know.

• Advertisement

Which may be true, but irrelevant to the accusation that the competition is racist.

Asian means you come from Asia ; nothing to do with skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why not? It's possible to be both an ethnic minority and white you know.

Yes I know but he doesn't identify as white in this case , and another poster said he was white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

El Guapo! wrote: »
    And I can't win the paralympics because of these 2 damn legs I was born with.

Oh well.

A person with no legs can't physically enter the Olympics, hence the separate category.

Are you suggesting that non-whites are at a similar disadvantage physically? Nonsense. Stupid comparison.

Yes I know but he doesn't identify as white in this case , and another poster said he was white.

If that's referring to me, I never said he was "white", whatever that means.

Can I identify as not white as well? I've always considered myself more of a pasty pink :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

In an ideal world where no racism exists and where everyone has the common sense to recognise that we are all the same no matter our what skin colour is then yes you would ideally have a situation where all award ceremonies are completely inclusive and anyone can enter etc.

To answer your question op no I do not have a problem with it though, sometimes it helps to put yourself in other peoples shoes, black only awards exist because well basically they as in black people were unbelievably marginalised for a very very long time. I guess they provide the group as a whole with an identity , a sense of pride in their skin colour , a sense of pride in who they are.

For mainstream white people this is not an issue because well we have in modern times never been denied basic human and civil rights. I use the term mainstream because if you break down the white race into different groups - LGBT, Travellers, for example these groups have organisations and/or awards or ceremonies that also allow them to gain a sense of pride in who they are, it allows them to say look we are no different than you, why can you not see this?.

The simple reality is that until the day comes when black people are considered by the majority as being equal then you will always see these type of events, its only when the black community as a whole feel equal that such events will become irrelevant. It could be another hundred years before this becomes reality although in recent times I have seen things that give me hope. Take schools - in most primary schools in Ireland , black , white , asian etc mix freely and are friends with each other, if this continues into adult life then in time we will see a much more inclusive tolerant society.

White society has been at the pinnacle for a very long time, white males in particular - its changing, there is a real danger that it goes to far too and the once oppressors become the oppressed but that's a whole other story.

For now I would say to you do not begrudge another ethnic group their ceremonies or groups even though yes they exclude you, rather try and understand the horrific events that occurred to make this come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Starokan wrote: »
    The simple reality is that until the day comes when black people are considered by the majority as being equal then you will always see these type of events, its only when
    Equal in what way exactly? What are you talking about here?

moneymad wrote: »
    Equal in what way exactly? What are you talking about here?

From my own experiences it has become obvious to me that the majority of people I encounter do not consider black people as their equals. I base this on nothing but my own experiences so I do not expect all to agree - you and many others may see this in an entirely different light

From my own experiences it has become obvious to me that the majority of people I encounter do not consider black people as their equals. I base this on nothing but my own experiences so I do not expect all to agree - you and many others may see this in an entirely different light
    If all those people based it on their experiences, what does that say about them?

If all those people based it on their experiences, what does that say about them?

It says that they possess a different viewpoint than me which they are perfectly entitled too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OP never heard of the BET Awards either, I'm guessing?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote:
    OP never heard of the

bnt wrote:
    either, I'm guessing?

Nope I didn't. Ye have all pointed out these black or ethnic awards ceremonys.

Can ye show me awards where only white people can be nominated?

Nope I didn't. Ye have all pointed out these black or ethnic awards ceremonys.

Can ye show me awards where only white people can be nominated?

I'll ask for a third time:

What does "white people" mean, exactly?

Starokan wrote:
    In an ideal world where no racism exists and where everyone has the common sense to recognise that we are all the same no matter our what skin colour is then yes you would ideally have a situation where all award ceremonies are completely inclusive and anyone can enter etc.

Starokan wrote:
    To answer your question op no I do not have a problem with it though, sometimes it helps to put yourself in other peoples shoes, black only awards exist because well basically they as in black people were unbelievably marginalised for a very very long time. I guess they provide the group as a whole with an identity , a sense of pride in their skin colour , a sense of pride in who they are.

Starokan wrote:
    For mainstream white people this is not an issue because well we have in modern times never been denied basic human and civil rights. I use the term mainstream because if you break down the white race into different groups - LGBT, Travellers, for example these groups have organisations and/or awards or ceremonies that also allow them to gain a sense of pride in who they are, it allows them to say look we are no different than you, why can you not see this?.

Starokan wrote:
    The simple reality is that until the day comes when black people are considered by the majority as being equal then you will always see these type of events, its only when the black community as a whole feel equal that such events will become irrelevant. It could be another hundred years before this becomes reality although in recent times I have seen things that give me hope. Take schools - in most primary schools in Ireland , black , white , asian etc mix freely and are friends with each other, if this continues into adult life then in time we will see a much more inclusive tolerant society.

Starokan wrote:

I don't know anyone who thinks they are better than any other people because of skin colour. No one alive today was responsible for enslaving black people. Can't they just get over it?
    Britain did similar in this country but we seem to have gotten over it, we don't hate the Brits anymore because the people responsible are long dead

It says that they possess a different viewpoint than me which they are perfectly entitled too
    I'm not being pedantic here, but you're not entitled to different viewpoints.

• Advertisement

Valetta wrote:

You know what it means, so I won't answer your stupid question

I don't know anyone who thinks they are better than any other people because of skin colour. No one alive today was responsible for enslaving black people. Can't they just get over it?
    Britain did similar in this country but we seem to have gotten over it, we don't hate the Brits anymore because the people responsible are long dead

I actually agree with you to an extent on this, but the awards you're complaining about are for ethnic minorites, which is not a term that excludes white people.

I know there are some extremists around the internet who have a 'whites vs minorites' outlook, but I don't think applying the same mindset to these awards is logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

I think he may mean "Aryan" or however you spell "little Hitler wannabe"....

smokingman wrote:
    I think he may mean "Aryan" or however you spell "little Hitler wannabe"....

Wow. Just wow

are you white? I think he means white people.

You know what it means, so I won't answer your stupid question

And the mask slips.

Your OP is disingenuous in the extreme. You completely ignored my post where I asked how you figured our a white person couldn't win the award.

You also ignored my question about the skin colour of Easah Suliman.

Do you have an agenda you are trying to subtly introduce?

And the mask slips.

Your OP is disingenuous in the extreme. You completely ignored my post where I asked how you figured our a white person couldn't win the award.

Do you have an agenda you are trying to subtly introduce?

Just say the word racist and get it out the way like a good girl.
    And then the grown ups can carry on chatting, sound good?

mod: banned

Just say the word racist and get it out the way like a good girl.
    And then the grown ups can carry on chatting, sound good?

Very sexist post there .

:)

• Advertisement

Valetta wrote:

I also questioned how Jessica Ennis is up for an award as she's neither black or part of an ethnic minority, I've never heard of or seen Easah Suliman.
    You have the agenda here pal.

Advertisement