Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism against white people?

Options
  • 21-12-2015 4:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Just seen on Sky News that they have a sporting awards ceremony for black people or non white people. Imagine if we had the White Sports Person awards!
    We always hear how they want equality, then have non white sports awards?

http://bedsa.co.uk/about-bedsa/

Anyone else have a problem with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

ComfortKid wrote: »

White, black, brown, yellow, doesn't matter to me. I hate all the brits equally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

There seems to be a thread on here every week now moaning about how black people moan about racsism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"Racism against white people" - The only form of racism some people care about. Tellingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

There seems to be a thread on here every week now moaning about how black people moan about racsism.

They have to move on eventually, Darky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

At least when I don't win at black award ceremonies I don't feel as aggrieved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

This isn't moaning about racism. It's an award ceremony for Non white sports people.

How can they get away with this and cry for equality at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes its complete hypocrisy but it happens in all walks of life where there has been a previous injustice, whether real or perceived, whether its race or gender.

There are plenty of black only awards (Or any other ethnicity).
    There are plenty of women only awards.
    Actually there are plenty of Women only events full stop.

But basically it shouldn't bother you because it doesn't effect you.

But basically it shouldn't bother you because it doesn't effect you.

It does affect me. I am being discriminated, I can not win this award because of my skin colour

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It does affect me. I am being discriminated, I can not win this award because of my skin colour

Seriously? do you really care that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

And I can't win the paralympics because of these 2 damn legs I was born with.

Oh well.

• Advertisement

Didn't you recently call for all Muslims to be exterminated? I'm not sure that people like you should be taken seriously when they talk about discrimination, tbh.

Stheno wrote:
    Seriously? do you really care that much?

It wouldn't bother me as much if we are allowed be racist aswell. Can you imagine a whites only event..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It wouldn't bother me as much if we are allowed be racist aswell. Can you imagine a whites only event..

Grow up ffs.

eviltwin wrote:
    Grow up ffs.

Right so when the blacks are being discriminated against, we'll just tell them to grow up, that'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's racism. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Do you honestly care or feel offended by the fact that theres an awards ceremony that celebrates the unrecognised talents of ethnic minorities ? The answer is you don't and that answers the question of whether racism against white exists, which it does not

Racism causes marginalisation and discrimination. This awards show doesn't place you in a more degraded position in our society, it allows minorities to be recognised for their talents and efforts without affecting your rights or recognition of your talents, that is it. It is only a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Virgil°

El Guapo! wrote: »
    And I can't win the paralympics because of these 2 damn legs I was born with.

Oh well.

There we have it lads, being any colour except white is a disability. Mod says so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Right so when the blacks are being discriminated against, we'll just tell them to grow up, that'll work.

So you think this event is comparable to the racism that some people have to deal with on a regular basis? Really??

Do you resent not being "allowed" to be racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This isn't moaning about racism. It's an award ceremony for Non white sports people.

How can they get away with this and cry for equality at the same time.
    This from the guy calling for ethnic cleansing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So you think that having an awards ceremony for black people is comparable to the same discrimination that they have faced over the last centuries, and continue to face today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I like my men like I take my coffee..... Hot and Black. . Big shoutout to airplane for that one.

c_man wrote: »
    White, black, brown, yellow, doesn't matter to me. I hate all the brits equally.

Nice knowing you. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It is racism, but there's a difference. We don't take it to heart like some other races would. I'm not saying they don't have a reason to be, racism is still alive and well, and the "white people" don't usually have centuries of slavery and oppression to fall back to. But i really think that in this day and age there should be no such thing as racism. Let people call other people what they want, it's the overly sensitive that get upset over it. Again, i've no problem with those who still face racism on a daily basis, but it's the ones who never face racism but still shout the racism card when something isn't going their way that bothers me.

And, even though it's not recognised as a form of racism, being ginger gets similar reactions. I'm not calling for it to be recognised as a form of racism/whatever it would be called, but ask nearly any ginger how they were treated in school. I got bullied for being ginger, had a fight nearly every day because i had different hair color to most people. Yeah, it upset me greatly. I remember being told that on the first day of secondary school i was going to be put into a bin because i was ginger. It didn't happen, and as time went on i learned to embrace it and turn it back on people. I still get the ginger insults today, but it doesn't affect me anymore, because i know it's just people trying to be funny.

Yeah, it's not the same as the racism some non-white people get, but it ticks the boxes for racism (Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person's social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics). No, i'm not comparing being ginger to the racism received by non-white people, but you have to admit that they share similar characteristics.

But people need to move on, and each incident needs to be treated as such. There should not be black only awards, just like there shouldn't be white only awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

wakka12 wrote: »
    Do you honestly care or feel offended by the fact that theres an awards ceremony that celebrates the unrecognised talents of ethnic minorities ? The answer is you don't and that answers the question of whether racism against white exists, which it does not

Racism causes marginalisation and discrimination. This awards show doesn't place you in a more degraded position in our society, it allows minorities to be recognised for their talents and efforts without affecting your rights or recognition of your talents, that is it. It is only a good thing

Racism against whites doesn't exist? Are you taking the piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can you be nominated if you black face?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I refuse to have guilt placed on me because people of the same skin clour enslaved people in the past. Slavery was common in Europe before African slaves were sold by their own people.

Are there white sports/music/beauty awards in predominantly non white countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Because otherwise you'd definitely be in with a chance of a sports award.

You are being ridiculously simplistic. The existence of one award recognising minority achievement in sports does not amount to discrimination when there are countless others that you can enter. Just like you are not the victimisation of straightphobia because one nightclub out of the hundreds in dublin is gay for instance.

• Advertisement

Instead of calling it a white awards event, which sounds very American, then call it an awards event for Native Britons/Irish/Polish/Swedish/Danish etc. As the other ethnic groups have no quarrel othering themselves and celebrating their own achievements, them I'm sure they would have no issues with the indigenous people celebrating their own achievements too.

Advertisement