Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism against white people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ComfortKid wrote: »
    This isn't moaning about racism. It's an award ceremony for Non white sports people.

How can they get away with this and cry for equality at the same time.

I'm sure (I hope) you don't mean thet as it comes across. 'Get away with' and 'cry for equality' are loaded statements, with ugly undertones.

Your point could be expressed differently, and would hold more (some?... possibly...) validity, if you considered your language a little more wisely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

aabarnes1 wrote:
    You are a class 1 prick, thick racist pig

Look up the definition of racist before you go accusing people of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    You are a class 1 prick, thick racist pig

No he's not. You're not very good at boards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

How else could I have worded it, Honestly? I got my point across. You deflect away from the point I made and criticised the way I worded it, and root out a sarcastic joke I posted on another thread. If you've nothing to say on the subject please don't say anything.

"We always hear how they want equality" - implies that you're kind of sick of hearing "them" go on about equality. We're always hearing it... would they ever give it a rest?

RayM wrote:
    "We always hear how they want equality" - implies that you're kind of sick of hearing "them" go on about equality. We're always hearing it... would they ever give it a rest?

That's the way you wanted to hear it.

Tell me how else I could have worded that sentence? My choice of words shouldn't deflect from the point I'm trying to make which is, This is an awards ceremony where you have to be a certain skin colour to be nominated. Where's the equality in that, we would not be allowed to have a white only awards ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭blackwhite

tritium wrote: »
    Its a strange one because sport is one area where in terms of achievement at least people of colour often dominate. Having a special award for them seems a bit silly when there's no shortage of successful and well paid athletes in a huge range of sports - soccer, basketball, athletics, American football, boxing etc. There may well be areas post retirement where they struggle to get into, e.g. football management but as sportspeople they have a pretty fair **** at joining the elites if they have the talent (and before anyone raises it I'm aware of racist incidents at football matches etc but that doesn't invalidate the point)

Its an interesting one too because in many cases certain ethnic groups appear (including whites in some cases) to be massively over represented in the elite levels of some sports. Genetic predisposition towards certain body shapes etc may well play a part but unfortunately any attempt to explore this is on very thin ice given certain agenda groups on both sides of the fence.

Try getting your hand on "The Sports Gene" by David Epstein.
    Fascinating read on the links between genetics and sporting ability - simplifying it down to race is far to broad a generalisation, it's tiny subsets within races.
    For example, middle and long distance running is dominated by descendants of the Kalenjin tribes of East Africa, yet West Africans an basically a non-entity in middle & long distance running - with Nordics (in particular the Finns) having a much better record than West Africans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Saw this news item and immediately thought of this thread... :D

JK Rowling backs black actress to play Hermione

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I remember when I was in Sub Saharan Africa and the locals referred to us as 'milk bottles' because of our pasty white skin. Could be interpreted as racist, but meh, didnt bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

blackwhite wrote: »
    Try getting your hand on "The Sports Gene" by David Epstein.
    Fascinating read on the links between genetics and sporting ability - simplifying it down to race is far to broad a generalisation, it's tiny subsets within races.
    For example, middle and long distance running is dominated by descendants of the Kalenjin tribes of East Africa, yet West Africans an basically a non-entity in middle & long distance running - with Nordics (in particular the Finns) having a much better record than West Africans.

Once you tell them there's a Russian in the race they tend to tear along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think that some people are making assumptions about the perspective of the OP rather than the actual content matter of what they said. They (the OP) might well be coming at this from a disgruntled secretive racist point of view (they're as likely not to be) but it is all the same a valid point. The very notion of having a Black People Sporting Awards or Traveller of the Year Ceremony only breeds further contempt and allows bigots and racists to hide behind a mask of victimhood. Imagine a white people only ceremony of any sort. Wouldn't be on and rightly so. The high horse brigade are out in full on this one though. :cool:

When they're flat out calling for ethnic cleansing there is nothing secretive about the OPs racism, nor any undue assumptions being made by others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Are the IFTAs racist against non-irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I remember when I was in Sub Saharan Africa and the locals referred to us as 'milk bottles' because of our pasty white skin. Could be interpreted as racist, but meh, didnt bother me.

Well what was their tone/intent of the name?

Billy86 wrote:
    When they're flat out calling for ethnic cleansing there is nothing secretive about the OPs racism, nor any undue assumptions being made by others.

Flat out? I sarcastically said we need to exterminate the Muslims because the panic people were getting in over refugees. Find another post from me where I have been racist?

I'd be the first person to admit if I was racist, I don't hide behind political correctness or anything like that. Racism is where you hate people discriminate people based on skin colour. Me saying things like "the blacks" or "them" isn't racist.

I found this picture very funny.. Does that make me racist, or does it make the black people in this picture racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Flat out? I sarcastically said we need to exterminate the Muslims because the panic people were getting in over refugees. Find another post from me where I have been racist?

I'd be the first person to admit if I was racist, I don't hide behind political correctness or anything like that. Racism is where you hate people discriminate people based on skin colour. Me saying things like "the blacks" or "them" isn't racist.

Well, you did say this earlier...
    It wouldn't bother me as much if we are allowed be racist aswell. Can you imagine a whites only event..

Dimithy wrote:
    Well, you did say this earlier...

Yes, pointing out the hypocrisy.. Black people can have a blacks only awards, but if we did it it'd be racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Kev W wrote: »
    Are the IFTAs racist against non-irish?

Nationalist against the non-Irish. Since they are national awards.

To be fair to the Brits. They do like to include Irish people in British awards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

If it was whites only you could hear the outcry from Gdansk all the way here to rural Ulster.

If it was whites only you could hear the outcry from Gdansk all the way here to rural Ulster.

....you wouldn't hear it over the sound of the lambeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

ComfortKid, if you're not racist and don't like people thinking you are, refrain from saying things like "the blacks play the race card whenever something doesn't go their way." (Paraphrased from memory.) It's always going to look racist when you generalise a couple of billion people based on the few of times a year you might read an article about black people claiming racism when there's been none.

As for the OP, it's a weird one Because sports would seem to be an area where black people aren't underrepresented in Britain but they are for all ethnic minorities and maybe when grouped together they participate in sports less than white people. I'm really not understanding your outrage though CK, it's only a charity trying to encourage more sports among ethnic minorities. If your problem with it is truly only that you "can't do that yourself" well, you can. Find an area where white people are doing worse than other groups at participating in certain sectors and there's nothing to stop you starting a charity. There might be accusations of racism but you're accusing BEDSA are also accused of racism so that doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement

I found this picture very funny.. Does that make me racist, or does it make the black people in this picture racist?

It does make you seem a bit racist, yes. And it makes them seem a lot racist!

Nodin wrote: »
    ....you wouldn't hear it over the sound of the lambeg.
    :pac:

People racist against white people is generally allowed and overlooked, the mobo awards being the prime example. A racist show which doesn't acknowledge white people.

I thought this was general knowledge to be honest and white people often turned a blind eye to it incase if they talk out against it they will have all sorts of abuse thrown at them and accusations.

People racist against white people is generally allowed and overlooked, the mobo awards being the prime example. A racist show which doesn't acknowledge white people.

I had no idea Sam Smith wasn't white.

I had no idea Sam Smith wasn't white.
    Who?

Who?

The performer who won most of the MOBO awards last year, joining other winners who according to you are "ignored" such as The Prodigy, Eminem and Adele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Absolutely wholehearted believe it's racist, isolating a minority not right and why do they feel the need to do so.

The performer who won most of the MOBO awards last year, joining other winners who according to you are "ignored" such as The Prodigy, Eminem and Adele.
    Who are they?

Who are they?

Yeah, I'm not playing that game. Next time you accuse an organisation of being racist just try to know anything at all about what you're talking about. It helps, I promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I think Maxim (from the Prodigy) will be very surprised to hear he's a white, Leeroy now, you could argue either way.

Edit: Actually thats complete "whitewashing"!, I personally find it deeply offensive that your erasing the contributions of people of colour (see how easy this sh-t is)

• Advertisement

...yep, ye'd have a hard time doing anything with that massive yoke banging away, though they say its not actually a full size lambeg that's used these days
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Amy_Winehouse#MOBO_Awards

Advertisement