Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism against white people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I think Maxim (from the Prodigy) will be very surprised to hear he's a white, Leeroy now, you could argue either way.

Now who's ignoring white people? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

I think Maxim (from the Prodigy) will be very surprised to hear he's a white, Leeroy now, you could argue either way.

Edit: Actually thats complete "whitewashing"!, I personally find it deeply offensive that your erasing the contributions of people of colour (see how easy this sh-t is)
    So Kev is lying through his arse then, no surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nodin wrote: »
    ...yep, ye'd have a hard time doing anything with that massive yoke banging away, though they say its not actually a full size lambeg that's used these days
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Amy_Winehouse#MOBO_Awards

It's almost as if Music Of Black Origin would tend to be dominated by black artists... but not exclusively!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's almost as if Music Of Black Origin would tend to be dominated by black artists... but not exclusively!? :confused:

Yep. Fair enough nobody from "rural ulster" has won one yet that I know of, but sure ye never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

So Kev is lying through his arse then, no surprise.
    No, you said it was a racist awards event that ignores white people.

He pointed out that white musicians, and bands with white members, have won awards, demonstrating that it is in fact you who is lying through your arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

ComfortKid wrote: »
    It wouldn't bother me as much if we are allowed be racist aswell. Can you imagine a whites only event..

Yes, but only because I've been to dinner partys at John Terry's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

osarusan wrote: »
    No, you said it was a racist awards event that ignores white people.

He pointed out that white musicians, and bands with white members, have won awards, demonstrating that it is in fact you who is lying through your arse.

....or his flute, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Kev W wrote: »
    Now who's ignoring white people? :)

Admit it Kev your an internalized racist because you see a band with a white guy in it (Liam + Kieth) you presume its a "white" band, you basically presume that White (males) must be in a superior position

I sentence you to read Tumblr for 2 hours a day of the festive* season until you've recharged your awareness of social justice to come back here and fight the good fight :P

*It will be 4 hours a day if I hear you using any Christonormativity over the holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. Fair enough nobody from "rural ulster" has won one yet that I know of, but sure ye never know.
    Hugo Duncan gave it a bit of a rattle one year, but an unfortunate misspelling of 'Tullawodgean' thwarted his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Anyone else have a problem with this?
    Yeah, kind of, but it's a black problem. Let them sort it out. And they will eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's the way you wanted to hear it.

Tell me how else I could have worded that sentence? My choice of words shouldn't deflect from the point I'm trying to make which is, This is an awards ceremony where you have to be a certain skin colour to be nominated. Where's the equality in that, we would not be allowed to have a white only awards ceremony.

How about, 'isn't it a shame, despite all the advances we have made as a society in terms of equality and parity of esteem, one community, itself comprising many diverse communities, finds it necessary to claim validation in this way'?

Something like that?

Admit it Kev your an internalized racist because you see a band with a white guy in it (Liam + Kieth) you presume its a "white" band, you basically presume that White (males) must be in a superior position

I sentence you to read Tumblr for 2 hours a day of the festive* season until you've recharged your awareness of social justice to come back here and fight the good fight :P

*It will be 4 hours a day if I hear you using any Christonormativity over the holidays

I never said they were a white band. Or any of that other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Billy86 wrote: »
    And what about the Music Of Orange Origin wards? MOOO, for short. The statuette could be a surprised cow? Banging a big auld drum. Moooey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

endacl wrote:
    How about, 'isn't it a shame, despite all the advances we have made as a society in terms of equality and parity of esteem, one community, itself comprising many diverse communities, finds it necessary to claim validation in this way'?

Excellent! If I could have worded it like that I would have.

Excellent! If I could have worded it like that I would have.

Its not too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

If someone assaults a 'white' person because they are white, it's racism.
    If a minority has an awards event to feel better about themselves (or whatever other generic reason for these events), it's not racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well what was their tone/intent of the name?

When we walked by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

endacl wrote: »

Something like that?

Ok serious answer, here to be honest the People of Colour term sort of annoys me (I've used it before as it appears to have entered the language now), like how can you argue that there is even a diverse "community" of PoC , a Korean Guy will have nothing in common with a Nigerian guy and what discrimination they encounter will be very different.
    Or for another group of PoC, those of Hindu background they are very much part of the establishment mainstream that is demonised by some for being discriminatory (they tend to vote Conservative)

In terms of the discrimination thing that whiter than white Goldsmith student union rep is apparently a PoC yet I would hazard she would experience vastly less discrimination that a person of Irish Traveler background in the UK.

Kev W wrote:
    Its not too late!

Well, what's the point in doing it now? Ye all understood what I was trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Ok serious answer, here to be honest the People of Colour term sort of annoys me

I don't find it any more annoying than if people grouped together as not black people or not Chinese people. Same thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

psinno wrote: »
    I don't find it any more annoying than if people grouped together as not black people or not Chinese people. Same thing really.

People don't generally do that though.

Because, y'know, it's pretty ****ty behaviour to exclude one and only one subgroup of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Just like you are not the victimisation of straightphobia because one nightclub out of the hundreds in dublin is gay for instance.

Myself and the Mrs were stopped going into a gay club years ago because and I quote 'it's not yer type of place'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sad to see people supporting and accepting racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Sad to see people supporting and accepting racism.

It's at worst discrimination, not racism.

There's a huge difference.

Valetta wrote:
    It's at worst discrimination, not racism.

Valetta wrote:
    There's a huge difference.

You can not win the award if you are white, which is discriminating people based on they're skin colour which is racism.

It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like or the colour of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like or that they spell words slightly differently - some would say, more correctly.
    I'm a person. Bret's a person. You're a person. That person over there is a person. And each person deserves to be treated like a person.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

You can not win the award if you are white, which is discriminating people based on they're skin colour which is racism.
    Stupid or dishonest?
    You can't win a female beauty contest if you aren't a woman either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Of course you can win the award if you're "white" ; whatever that means.

What colour skin would you say Easah Suliman has?

Your outrage is at best misguided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

In terms of the discrimination thing that whiter than white Goldsmith student union rep is apparently a PoC yet I would hazard she would experience vastly less discrimination that a person of Irish Traveler background in the UK.

the term these socjus types use is "white passing"

so she still has her minority lack of privilege but you have to subtract (or add, i guess) from that her white passing privilege and then you add it to the total oppression intersectional matrix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ignoring the centuries of oppression that ethnic minorities suffered, and pretending like everyone in this world is treated exactly as fairly as you is so so ignorant, but if sticking to your dictionary definition and closing your eyes to the reality of the world around us keeps you happy then so be it

Advertisement