Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The full back line is probably our starting team.
    Very interested in O'Meara at half back, McGrath has the pedigree but i think O'Meara could lockdown a starting role in this team, his distribution is excellent.
    The forwards could struggle to put up a big score, only Jason and Jake would be natural scorers inside so we need to get them consistent good ball.

I would have liked to see us starting at least one of Flynn/Kehoe/Quirke, we need to get these lads experience against the top teams from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not sure what to expect. How well have they been able to prepare? Just good to have it back. Maybe we'll see a few more introductions as the games wear on? Would definitely like to see Quigley get a run at some stage.

Looking forward to Bonner v Hayes. Potentially fascinating clash in so many ways if they line out as listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

They're making a big deal of the water break but i thought we were getting to grips with it before that. Great blocking and work rate, hopefully be able to maintain that to the end. What a score that was seamie to Jason and over the shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BobbyBolivia

Should be further ahead here.

Was fearing the worst before but we have been very competitive and really out it up to them.

Regardless of what happens from here we have shown enough to be happy with for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Decent performance overall but faded near the end fairly dramatically. The full back line was solid enough. Shamus Flanagan was good but over all the backs were solid. The forwards were poor enough...I was disappointed in Morris. No score from play from the 23rd minute. Flynn was outstanding I thought.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BobbyBolivia

Decent performance overall but faded near the end fairly dramatically. The full back line was solid enough. Shamus Flanagan was good but over all the backs were solid. The forwards were poor enough...I was disappointed in Morris. No score from play from the 23rd minute. Flynn was outstanding I thought.

Wouldn't concern me - should be looking to build with a view to peaking come Championship. No point peaking for League.

Plenty of time to get the fitness up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see where scores come from in the team.

Hopefully Brian McGrath can prove to be a solid addition

Good point. We struggled for scores, but we found out a bit. We found out that if we can't score from play for long periods, not to worry, we can hang in there.
    Limerick are happy to foul and give away frees rather than let the other team play. It's hard to watch.
    If you told me that we would'nt score from play for so long I'd say we were going getting hammered. Strange game. Lots of shadow boxing going on.

One really disappointing element was the standard of ball going into our forwards. When you've got a player like Forde! We should have the players to put in it low to him in space. He didn't get enough of good ball like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

good game and tipp played well

limerick are a young powerful very physical very skillful team.
    they are clear favourites for this year
    Tipp will be happy with tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

good game and tipp played well

limerick are a young powerful very physical very skillful team.
    they are clear favourites for this year
    Tipp will be happy with tonight

Saw last 17 minutes, in that time, no Tipp forward managed to win control of the ball . Not really the sign of a team playing well . No score from play since the 23 minute.

• Advertisement

1373 wrote: »
    Saw last 17 minutes, in that time, no Tipp forward managed to win control of the ball . Not really the sign of a team playing well . No score from play since the 23 minute.

limerick kept fouling tipp players when the tipp player had any little advantage
    thats not tipps fault

limerick kept fouling tipp players when the tipp player had any little advantage
    thats not tipps fault

Our forwards need to support each other better and provide the option of an offload more often.

I really struggle to understand how the balling winning ability, strength, and directness of Billy Seymour (Jerry Kelly and Dan O’Meara are not even on the panel) are not utilized by this management. It baffles me.

formerlyET wrote: »
    I really struggle to understand how the balling winning ability, strength, and directness of Billy Seymour (Jerry Kelly and Dan O’Meara are not even on the panel) are not utilized by this management. It baffles me.

Agreed, at least 2 out of those 3 should be on the panel. I think that there's an element of hurling snobbery in it. The coaches are real stick men ,love the skillfull player and thats fine but with 15 mins to go in a match against Limerick that goes out the window and you need a Billy Seymour

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

i came across liam sheedy professionally while he worked at bank of ireland.
    liam sheedy will use whatever he can to win - whether thats lovely hurlers or beasts, players he knows very well or liam cahills U20 players , sheedy wont care
    last year losing by a whisker to galway who themselves lost to limerick by a whisker is no embarrassment,

what killed us last year in my opinion was john mcgrath and bubbles not showing up. i love how both hurl and when they bring it together on match day Tipp cannot be stopped
    For me Tipps four most important players are barrett john mcgrath bubbles and callinan
    if sheedy can get all 4 humming this year we will win the all ireland.

i came across liam sheedy professionally while he worked at bank of ireland.
    liam sheedy will use whatever he can to win - whether thats lovely hurlers or beasts, players he knows very well or liam cahills U20 players , sheedy wont care
    last year losing by a whisker to galway who themselves lost to limerick by a whisker is no embarrassment,

what killed us last year in my opinion was john mcgrath and bubbles not showing up. i love how both hurl and when they bring it together on match day Tipp cannot be stopped
    For me Tipps four most important players are barrett john mcgrath bubbles and callinan
    if sheedy can get all 4 humming this year we will win the all ireland.

Thats a big if. Barretts best days are behind him and he relies on winning frees. He's still an excellent man marker but his powers are wanning. John McGrath and Bubbles...you couldn't rely on them performing. And when they arent then they don't contribute at all. Bubbles is well past it in my view. John McGrath is a great goal scorer allright and there's lots of hurling left in him but again..he doesn't show up all through a game. Callinan is class..carrying a back injury though. I think if Tipp can get them 'humming ' then yeah they ll go close. But that's a big if. Id rather see young fellas stepping up and keeping John McGrath and Dwyer as subs to finish out a game.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has there been any sign of Bubbles?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thats a big if. Barretts best days are behind him and he relies on winning frees. He's still an excellent man marker but his powers are wanning. John McGrath and Bubbles...you couldn't rely on them performing. And when they arent then they don't contribute at all. Bubbles is well past it in my view. John McGrath is a great goal scorer allright and there's lots of hurling left in him but again..he doesn't show up all through a game. Callinan is class..carrying a back injury though. I think if Tipp can get them 'humming ' then yeah they ll go close. But that's a big if. Id rather see young fellas stepping up and keeping John McGrath and Dwyer as subs to finish out a game.

personally i think barrett bubbles and john mcgrath have plenty left in them if they so wish.
      regardless we will go close this year and the future is bright.
      sheedy knows he has to adapt how we play - i liked the withdrawing everyone to the middle when limerick pucked out.

1. Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

personally i think barrett bubbles and john mcgrath have plenty left in them if they so wish.
        regardless we will go close this year and the future is bright.
        sheedy knows he has to adapt how we play - i liked the withdrawing everyone to the middle when limerick pucked out.

Withdrawing everyone to the middle backfired when 1 or 2 Limerick big guns came on. Limerick were able to get control in midfield again

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Agreed, at least 2 out of those 3 should be on the panel. I think that there's an element of hurling snobbery in it. The coaches are real stick men ,love the skillfull player and thats fine but with 15 mins to go in a match against Limerick that goes out the window and you need a Billy Seymour

You'd think a coach would be excited to improve the skills of someone rawer. It can be done. They really need to be on the squad - looking at the likes of trigger there, we already have enough of that type of forward -more grunt would be a good option. And these coaches can earn their corn improving the skills of the less silky. But I guess it's not that type of year. You can't develop a player in such strange circumstances. But i do wonder why Jerry Kelly and Dan O'Meara are not on the scene. Maybe, it's the peroxide mullet is that putting Sheedy off! But Darragh Egan is watching him a long time too.

2. Advertisement
      3. Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Barry Hogan looks to have the potential to be a big plus. He doesn't dither on the puck outs and has good trajectory. I'd put money on him being number one come championship - pity he doesn't have a lot of time to really gel with the team.

4. Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Vinnie222 wrote: »
        Withdrawing everyone to the middle backfired when 1 or 2 Limerick big guns came on. Limerick were able to get control in midfield again

it didnt backfire limerick are just a good team who adapted
        its something different that keeps limerick guessing come championship

5. Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bringing players back out the field is grand if runners prepared to run the ball from half back/midfield but we don't really have that especially in the second half after the changes and players tired, that's why we looked like a Derek McGrath team in the second half.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd say from a Limerick point of view that we have a far superior 15 to Tipp but thats on the basis that Tipp are rebuilding.

The likes of Maher x4, Mcgrath x2, Callinan are certainly a match for anyone but there can't be much more left in that generation of players.

Sheedys worked a masterstroke in 2019 getting an All Ireland from an aging team but it must be daunting for him whether or not to go with the tried and trusted or have faith in youth.

7. Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

J mcgrath is a great young enough player. You’re writing him off after one bad year. Last year he hurled and kicked for 4 months solid week in/week out , top class performance in most games and then asked to start off with Tipp . As for Barrett he’s a great defender, I don’t think Tipp have any one better to take his place

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

What kind of injury does Brendan Maher have?

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Darren Gleeson continues to do well in Antrim.

10. Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

shockframe wrote: »
        I'd say from a Limerick point of view that we have a far superior 15 to Tipp but thats on the basis that Tipp are rebuilding.

The likes of Maher x4, Mcgrath x2, Callinan are certainly a match for anyone but there can't be much more left in that generation of players.

Sheedys worked a masterstroke in 2019 getting an All Ireland from an aging team but it must be daunting for him whether or not to go with the tried and trusted or have faith in youth.

Never seen you post on the Limerick site. Are you trying to wind up the Tipperary guys? If you are id say its working because I'm from Limerick and you've wound me up already with your nonsense. 'Far superior'.?! Tipp v Limerick will be 50/50. We've no one to get a goal..theyve about 3 if they get them in the right spot

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

11. Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

Never seen you post on the Limerick site. Are you trying to wind up the Tipperary guys? If you are id say its working because I'm from Limerick and you've wound me up already with your nonsense. 'Far superior'.?! Tipp v Limerick will be 50/50. We've no one to get a goal..theyve about 3 if they get them in the right spot

Superior in regards to players in their Mid 20s.

FWIW its worth the players with the 3 All Irelands (the mahers, Noel Mcgrath,Callanan) are better than what we have but the pace of the game is bound to take its toll on them if they play Limerick in the All Ireland stages.

There looks to be a big transiton phase coming in Tipp.

12. Advertisement
      13. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

formerlyET wrote: »
        Darren Gleeson continues to do well in Antrim.

Great win for him. His stock is rising.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement