Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not stepping up??? Were you at the last game? Kehoe had an outstanding game, Darcy was fantastic and so was Caddell. Jake who was excellent against Limerick bagged himself at least two points. What more can they do in winter???

Yeah we've had some good performances but I think the younger lads still have plenty to do if they want to start on May 10th. I expected a few more of them would have got an opportunity. Its clear that opportunities won't arrive unless they're doing it in training.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah we've had some good performances but I think the younger lads still have plenty to do if they want to start on May 10th. I expected a few more of them would have got an opportunity. Its clear that opportunities won't arrive unless they're doing it in training.

Its winter and its never been as tough a panel to break into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I spent all of Saturday in galway and outside at that. At a few rugby games and a soccer match. They were right to wait until Sunday morning to call it.
    It's still only 2.5 to 3 hours drive and for a 2pm theow in. Wouldnt have to be overnight at all.

It's a tough 5 hour round trip in total in particularly bad driving conditions.

Anyway - be interesting to see when they reschedule it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tbf it is quite hard at this time of year due to college hurling ongoing as well for younger players. Now that its finished may give the lads time to focus more with the county teams.

From our opening two games the things that stick out to me that we need improving in are:

1. Lock down first choice No.3 and No.4. Need to get cohesion in the back, arguably the reason we lost our last two games was poor goals conceded by Tipp mistakes, particularly vs Limerick.

2. We need better puck out strategies. This isn't helped by our half forward line being very static for puck outs. Need lads moving forward to attack the ball or running to the sides to create space. Standing up trying to catch 1 on 1 with a defender has a poor return rate.

3. Stop hitting the ball in high to the full forward line. You really notice Noel McGraths absence on the team as this is our default option.

We haven't been playing particularly badly and I'm happy to get game time into the younger players, but you would like to see mamagememt try something new with these issues before the league is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Good result for the footballers today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ompala wrote: »
    Tbf it is quite hard at this time of year due to college hurling ongoing as well for younger players. Now that its finished may give the lads time to focus more with the county teams.

From our opening two games the things that stick out to me that we need improving in are:

1. Lock down first choice No.3 and No.4. Need to get cohesion in the back, arguably the reason we lost our last two games was poor goals conceded by Tipp mistakes, particularly vs Limerick.

2. We need better puck out strategies. This isn't helped by our half forward line being very static for puck outs. Need lads moving forward to attack the ball or running to the sides to create space. Standing up trying to catch 1 on 1 with a defender has a poor return rate.

3. Stop hitting the ball in high to the full forward line. You really notice Noel McGraths absence on the team as this is our default option.

We haven't been playing particularly badly and I'm happy to get game time into the younger players, but you would like to see mamagememt try something new with these issues before the league is out.

No. 3 looks fairly locked down at the moment to Ronan Maher. Not ideal IMO, such a class hurler, would love to be able to have him on the half back line.

Good result for the footballers today

The women are improving all the time at Senior. Put the All ireland champs to the pin of their collar a few weeks ago. A far different proposition to what they were in 2018. Far more balanced and experienced at Senior level now. A team that is going places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

robbiezero wrote: »
    No. 3 looks fairly locked down at the moment to Ronan Maher. Not ideal IMO, such a class hurler, would love to be able to have him on the half back line.

Don't know if its that locked down but i wont be too distraught if it is as Ronan has all the qualities to my mind to be an excellent full back. But i agree it would be preferable to have him farther out, there's a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul about it. He's the best distributor of a ball we have* and ideally no.6 should be his position.

*that should really read "after noel..."

Id say Barry Heffernan and Ronan will alternate at full back depending on who they are tasked to mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

The women are improving all the time at Senior. Put the All ireland champs to the pin of their collar a few weeks ago. A far different proposition to what they were in 2018. Far more balanced and experienced at Senior level now. A team that is going places.

Thanks I left ladies out of my post. As you say the experience gained two years ago is standing to them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Its winter and its never been as tough a panel to break into.

Ha? who ....where ...!!

the tipperay panel your talking about , if so i wouldn't give much hope to pat fox or conal bonnar at the moment nicky would even be touch and go :cool:

edit i taught you said the panel wasnt tough to break into sorry :pac:

Ha? who ....where ...!!

the tipperay panel your talking about , if so i wouldn't give much hope to pat fox or conal bonnar at the moment nicky would even be touch and go :cool:

I honestly dont think we've had as competitive a panel or at least not in my living memory. Westside is normally a sharp observer on the hurling scene but he made an unfair comparison a while back where he suggested the minor class of 2016 and 2012 werent as good as those of 06/07 due to the fact they didnt break onto the team immediately.

This is as much to do with the crop from 06/07 being exceptionally good, but also not having existing players of the same standard to oust all due respect to them. The panel is a far different animal to get onto today although having said that, hurling is at its most all time competitiveness.

I honestly dont think we've had as competitive a panel or at least not in my living memory. Westside is normally a sharp observer on the hurling scene but he made an unfair comparison a while back where he suggested the minor class of 2016 and 2012 werent as good as those of 06/07 due to the fact they didnt break onto the team immediately.

This is as much to do with the crop from 06/07 being exceptionally good, but also not having existing players of the same standard to oust all due respect to them. The panel is a far different animal to get onto today although having said that, hurling is at its most all time competitiveness.

to be fair the class of minor and u21 in the last 7 years has been pretty strong , its probably the best tipperary panel i have seen the only difference is the other teams are stronger then say mid 2000s or early 90s , and not to mention limerick and the best manager in the country in john kiely

Don't know if its that locked down but i wont be too distraught if it is as Ronan has all the qualities to my mind to be an excellent full back. But i agree it would be preferable to have him farther out, there's a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul about it. He's the best distributor of a ball we have* and ideally no.6 should be his position.

*that should really read "after noel..."

Noels vision and just pure skill to pick out a pass is unrivalled. His vision and pass to Bubbles for the goal v Cork, the ball to Callinan for the goal v Laois and tonnes more etc.
    But in terms of delivering 80 yard diagonal ball, Ronan is just different gravy, he can flick the wrists on his left or right and deliver a just above head high diagonal ball perfectly into the forwards, not to mention his long range scoring ability and sidelines.
    It makes him an ideal candidate for receiving short puck outs from the keeper, but I expect teams to close that down during the championship. He is the last fellow of the 6 backs you want delivering ball to the forwards.

Ranking the best minor teams

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/ranking-the-5-minor-hurling-teams-whove-produced-the-most-all-ireland-winners-308218

4 of the finest hurlers to ever wear the Tipp jersey in Padraig and Brendan Maher, Callinan and Noel McGrath.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/ranking-the-5-minor-hurling-teams-whove-produced-the-most-all-ireland-winners-308218

4 of the finest hurlers to ever wear the Tipp jersey in Padraig and Brendan Maher, Callinan and Noel McGrath.

to be fair , clare limerick and galway all went on to win all irelands since 2012 along with runners up waterford in 2016 after wining the 2013 minor ,

great team much more competitive environment now

Noels vision and just pure skill to pick out a pass is unrivalled. His vision and pass to Bubbles for the goal v Cork, the ball to Callinan for the goal v Laois and tonnes more etc.
    But in terms of delivering 80 yard diagonal ball, Ronan is just different gravy, he can flick the wrists on his left or right and deliver a just above head high diagonal ball perfectly into the forwards, not to mention his long range scoring ability and sidelines.
    It makes him an ideal candidate for receiving short puck outs from the keeper, but I expect teams to close that down during the championship. He is the last fellow of the 6 backs you want delivering ball to the forwards.

My favourite from last year, v Clare i think, was picking ball up on edge of his own square and picking out ronan (i think) in middle of field and ball over the bar. Phenomenonal touch and vision.

Couldn't agree more on ronan. Can imagine as a forward you're just buzzing when he has the ball, anticipating where to make your run. Two all irelands and still just 23 i think. Actually scaring myself a bit thinking how good he might become.

One good thing is i think we are far better placed this year in terms of squad development than 2017. Apart from Jason we didnt really get any new blood and whole thing felt a bit flat. Niall omeara too i suppose, not sure was that his first year, but likes of Sean Curran, Tomas Hamill were just a small bit off the required standard. On paper at least there will be a lot more competition, no room whatsoever for complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

The league is a nothing competition at the end of the day.
    For many Season Ticket holders from South Tipp like myself, Galway is an overnight stay.

These two statements dont compute, which is it?

We have used 25 players in 2 games, what on earth were you hoping for??

One good thing is i think we are far better placed this year in terms of squad development than 2017. Apart from Jason we didnt really get any new blood and whole thing felt a bit flat. Niall omeara too i suppose, not sure was that his first year, but likes of Sean Curran, Tomas Hamill were just a small bit off the required standard. On paper at least there will be a lot more competition, no room whatsoever for complacency.

Jason Forde played in the 2016 final and was on the panel since 2013.

And it's easy say now that it was flat, the reality is that we were beaten by a single wonder score by the AI champions.

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Jason Forde played in the 2016 final and was on the panel since 2013.

And it's easy say now that it was flat, the reality is that we were beaten by a single wonder score by the AI champions.

Right, the point still stands. There was very little new blood added in 2017, for whatever reasons, and we were flat all summer, never came near the standard or fluency of the previous year, regardless of what happened in sf. So I'm just saying on paper tipp are better placed now for a title defence than 3 years ago. On paper! Other side of coin it's without question a more competitive field so we simply have to be.

These two statements dont compute, which is it?

Simple really. I go to all the league games because i have a season ticket. I like going to all Tipp games regardless of importance but I dont get too put out if we lose a league game. The bigger prize is the Liam McCarthy it goes without saying.

Simple really. I go to all the league games because i have a season ticket. I like going to all Tipp games regardless of importance but I dont get too put out if we lose a league game. The bigger prize is the Liam McCarthy it goes without saying.

I fully agree that the actual results are secondary but I think it's a little bit OTT to decree the entire competition as meaningless. The final defeats in 2017/18 certainly didnt help Tipp and left their mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Paddico

Xenophile wrote: »
    Ahead of their Munster U20 Football Championship Quarter-Final next Wednesday, February 19th, against Limerick in the LIT Gaelic Grounds, manager Tom McGlinchey has announced his championship panel which is as follows

1. Adam McGrath (Galtee Rovers)
    2. AJ Willis (Portroe)
    3. Billy Murphy (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    4. Billy O’Connor (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    5. Brian McKeown (Moyle Rovers)
    6. Christy English (Ballyporeen)
    7. Ciaran O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    8. Conal Moran (Shannon Rovers)
    9. Conor Anderson (Clonmel Óg)
    10. Conor Ryan (Loughmore-Castleiney)
    11. Conor Shanahan (Inane Rovers)
    12. Darragh O’Leary (Ardfinnan)
    13. Diarmuid Mulcahy (Moyle Rovers)
    14. Eanna McBride (JK Brackens)
    15. Eoghan Power (Ballina)
    16. Fabian Kerton (Clonmel Óg)
    17. Jamie Holloway (Carrick Swan)
    18. Kevin Grogan (Cahir)
    19. Kuba Beben (JK Brackens)
    20. Kyle Shelly (Moycarkey-Borris)
    21. Lorcan Roche (JK Brackens)
    22. Mark O’Meara (Grangemockler-Ballyneale)
    23. Mark Stokes (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    24. Martin Kehoe (Mullinahone)
    25. Noel Oblior (Carrick Swan)
    26. Paddy Creedon (Thurles Sarsfields)
    27. Paul Devlin (Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill)
    28. Rian Quigley (Moyle Rovers)
    29. Rhys Shelly (Moycarkey-Borris)
    30. Sean O’Connor (Clonmel Commercials)
    31. Shane Lowe (Moyne-Templetuohy)
    32. Shane O’Connor (Clonmel Óg)
    33. Stephen Grogan (Cahir)

MANAGEMENT
    Tom McGlinchey, Newport (Bainisteoir)
    Niall Fitzgerald, Moyle Rovers (Coach/Selector)
    Liam England, Inane Rovers (Coach/Selector)
    Vivienne Glynn (Physiotherapist)
    Paddy Lowry, Upperchurch-Drombane (S&C Coach)
    Adrian Condon, Ardfinnan (Logistics)
    Sean McKeown, Moyle Rovers (Statistics)
    Tommy Toomey, Arravale Rovers (Video Analysis)
    Hugh Coughlan, Moyne-Templetuohy (Team Secretary)

50% of panel come from the South.

Are Tipp FM covering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Paddico wrote: »
    Are Tipp FM covering it?

They will have a reporter there, but the game will not be covered live.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Their was 10 of the kilkenny 2002 team to go on and win multiple all Ireland
    He missed pj Delaney, w o dwyer,Steve maher eoin reid plus the 6 named

I fully agree that the actual results are secondary but I think it's a little bit OTT to decree the entire competition as meaningless. The final defeats in 2017/18 certainly didnt help Tipp and left their mark.

I think the effort we put into both leagues combined with our training programme is what fecked Tipp in 17 and 18. Sheedy got the balance spot on last year. Come summer we were hopping off the sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Their was 10 of the kilkenny 2002 team to go on and win multiple all Ireland
    He missed pj Delaney, w o dwyer,Steve maher eoin reid plus the 6 named

Donagh Maher missing off the list for Tipp, this article was published in 2015 and he came on in 2016 final.

If we're counting lads who were on the panel but didn't play in an All Ireland then Tipp would also have John O'Keeffe and Mikey Heffernan off the 06 team.

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Donagh Maher missing off the list for Tipp, this article was published in 2015 and he came on in 2016 final.

If we're counting lads who were on the panel but didn't play in an All Ireland then Tipp would also have John O'Keeffe and Mikey Heffernan off the 06 team.

John O'Keefe started in 2011?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

John O'Keefe started in 2011?

I meant starting/playing in a winning All Ireland final. Of the extra KK lads named above only Willie O'Dwyer ever played in a final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement