Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will succeed Johnny Sexton

Options
12346»

Comments

Except the French have been working on their defense this week, so we can't be sure what we'll see from them in that regard.

I think we'll see a much improved France to be honest. I'm not trying to be negative, but there is a good bit of talent in that team and it's not uncommon for France not to really show up against Italy and do just enough to beat them (albeit barely this time).

I think France will be hard out of the blocks and right in our faces after the short turnaround we've had. Anyone expecting a "soft defence" and for us to run through them I think is going to be disappointed.

That said, Guy Noves from what I've heard seems to almost be the opposite of Joe Schmidt and I think our pack, especially back row can get the upper hand here.

Should be a very interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Akrasia wrote: »
    Madigan's utility status is helping him earn caps at the moment, he's able to cover more positions than Jackson so he earns a place on the bench,

There's reason there but I can't help but wonder if JS is too obsessed with it?

Last week (starting)we had 4 full-backs, two of them playing centre, and another one that regularly does. Also a winger who was converted from the centre. On the bench you had an out-half that plays centre and full-back and a winger that can play full-back.

That's 2 options for OH, 4 for centre, 4+ for winger and 6 for full-back.

Would you really lose much versatility by putting Jackson on the bench (who has occasionally played center/FB himself, though much, much less than Madigan).

I also wonder if js just doesn't like out-and-out wingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

NiallBoo wrote: »
    There's reason there but I can't help but wonder if JS is too obsessed with it?

Last week (starting)we had 4 full-backs, two of them playing centre, and another one that regularly does. Also a winger who was converted from the centre. On the bench you had an out-half that plays centre and full-back and a winger that can play full-back.

That's 2 options for OH, 4 for centre, 4+ for winger and 6 for full-back.

Would you really lose much versatility by putting Jackson on the bench (who has occasionally played center/FB himself, though much, much less than Madigan).

I also wonder if js just doesn't like out-and-out wingers
    The issue isn't what's on the pitch, it's what's on the bench. It's simply a case of making sure you have minimum disruption on the pitch if there's an injury.

In an ideal world there are no injuries and substitutions are made for impact purposes to close out a game. but if there is, you want to minimise the effect and still have an impact from the bench.

The multi-positional attributes of players on the pitch are only helpful in a 'break glass in case of emergency' basis. They are not picked for these attributes primarily but are clearly an advantage if disaster strikes a la 6N 2013.

multi-positional attributes of players on the pitch are only helpful in a 'break glass in case of emergency
    we should place all our multi-positional players in multi-positional positions. then we wouldnt even need 15 players. love this idea. just pick our best five multi-positional players and they will cover every option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The issue isn't what's on the pitch, it's what's on the bench. It's simply a case of making sure you have minimum disruption on the pitch if there's an injury

This is it in a nutshell. The last thing you want to be doing is reshuffling around a couple of lads on the field to accommodate your sub coming on (e.g. Jackson is your only sub left and Trimble goes down injured, you gotta shift RK out to the wing, Henshaw or Payne into FB and Sexton into Centre for Jackson to play out-half).

Until they change the rules and increase the number of subs then lads like Jackson, Marshall and McCloskey who all play in one position will more then likely only get a game against weaker opposition or friendlies until they get to the level to be considered test starters.

Hopefully when the 6 Nations is over they use the summer test games against South Africa and the Autumn internationals to blood players in, give the older lads a rest. The time to build towards Japan '19 is now or even Ireland '23 if we get the nod to host, put a plan in place to be realistically aiming to win the 2023 World Cup.

This is it in a nutshell. The last thing you want to be doing is reshuffling around a couple of lads on the field to accommodate your sub coming on (e.g. Jackson is your only sub left and Trimble goes down injured, you gotta shift RK out to the wing, Henshaw or Payne into FB and Sexton into Centre for Jackson to play out-half).

Until they change the rules and increase the number of subs then lads like Jackson, Marshall and McCloskey who all play in one position will more then likely only get a game against weaker opposition or friendlies until they get to the level to be considered test starters.

Hopefully when the 6 Nations is over they use the summer test games against South Africa and the Autumn internationals to blood players in, give the older lads a rest. The time to build towards Japan '19 is now or even Ireland '23 if we get the nod to host, put a plan in place to be realistically aiming to win the 2023 World Cup.

which totally backs up my point. every player should be exposed to play in every position just in case

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

we should place all our multi-positional players . just pick our best five multi-positional players and they will cover every option.

But we need fifteen starters and eight subs?

Are you suggesting mini sevens?

Stheno wrote: »
    But we need fifteen starters and eight subs?

Are you suggesting mini sevens?

fair point. so while everybody can play in every position it is unlikely that they can be in all positions at the same time. so as you point out we probably need 23 players no matter what. :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Who is the only one that steps up when all other 10's are out?

Isa.

Played a stormer tonight. Yeah he missed one but so does JS an IM the odd time.

(sorry if this thread is IRL not LEIN)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Isa.

Steve wrote: »

Isa.

my point made ten times over.
    even if its against zebre.

rob kearney to flanker

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

my point made ten times over.
    even if its against zebre.

rob kearney to flanker

No. More a Steve being pissed post

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So we just need to annex Fiji?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

So we just need to annex Fiji?

Well...he was born in Ireland as much as he was in Fiji...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Neither a hurling stronghold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It has to be Paddy Jackson who's most likely to succeed. He has the advantage of having played at a high level from a very young age and training with Sexton for the last few years in Ireland camps.

He has definitely improved and that's an encouraging sign. Some players can only go so far and then plateau and that's all you're going to get from them. Paddy may well be different. The only thing he seems to lack is that hard edge that Sexton has, the almost single minded drive for perfection and anger at anything less than the best from himself.

In that respect, Sexton reminds me of POC. That uncompromising drive and ability to bring players with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It has to be Paddy Jackson who's most likely to succeed. He has the advantage of having played at a high level from a very young age and training with Sexton for the last few years in Ireland camps.

He has definitely improved and that's an encouraging sign. Some players can only go so far and then plateau and that's all you're going to get from them. Paddy may well be different. The only thing he seems to lack is that hard edge that Sexton has, the almost single minded drive for perfection and anger at anything less than the best from himself.

In that respect, Sexton reminds me of POC. That uncompromising drive and ability to bring players with them.

ROG was quite the grumpy little **** at times too. A trait Irish 10s seem to use well. PJ's just too cuddly to be that kind of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Neither a hurling stronghold

The O'hailpins would beg to differ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

which totally backs up my point. every player should be exposed to play in every position just in case

I agree with you to a certain extent that it comes in handy for lads to be able to play in a number of positions and it's probably the reason why lads like Earls, Fitzgerald, McFadden and Madigan have the number of caps that they have because they are utility players but would much prefer the number of subs increased so the likes of Jackson or McCloskey who have been the form players leading up the 6 Nations being picked ahead of lads who could do a job for you as they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement