Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will succeed Johnny Sexton

Options
  • 04-12-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

With mounting injuries a current lack of form and the fact that he is 30 it is starting to look like Johnny Sexton will not be a room around come 2019. What that in mind we should be beginning to plan for a sucessor. However there are no obvious candidates it seems the possible sucessors have big issues in their game.

Ian Madigan makes basic errors in his game mangement such as throwing passes that are not on, looking for the break himself which can often slow down attacking moves and his tactical kicking game isn't accurate enough for international level.

Paddy Jackson runs the backline very well and has a good tactical kicking game when on form however his form is inconsistant and he does not get enough gametime as a kicker of the tee to inspire confidence at the top level.

JJ Hanrahan of the three showed the most promise at underage level but this has not been replicated since he stepped up to the professional game and so far he has spent most of his career to date at two clubs, warming the bench.

Apart from the above three is there anyone at underage level or in the academies who is putting their hand up??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    With mounting injuries a current lack of form and the fact that he is 30 it is starting to look like Johnny Sexton will not be a room around come 2019. What that in mind we should be beginning to plan for a sucessor. However there are no obvious candidates it seems the possible sucessors have big issues in their game.

Ian Madigan makes basic errors in his game mangement such as throwing passes that are not on, looking for the break himself which can often slow down attacking moves and his tactical kicking game isn't accurate enough for international level.

Paddy Jackson runs the backline very well and has a good tactical kicking game when on form however his form is inconsistant and he does not get enough gametime as a kicker of the tee to inspire confidence at the top level.

JJ Hanrahan of the three showed the most promise at underage level but this has not been replicated since he stepped up to the professional game and so far he has spent most of his career to date at two clubs, warming the bench.

Apart from the above three is there anyone at underage level or in the academies who is putting their hand up??
    Jack carthy playing well 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭techdiver

"If", Jackson is the best 10 from a game management and tactical kicking point of view, then he should be the guy.

There are plenty of other players that can take over the place kicking duties. We have a serious obsession in Ireland that the 10 has to be the goal kicker. It doesn't matter a flying **** who kicks (1 - 15) as long as they go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Jackson for me. But he needs a good run without injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think Jackson is probably the most likely but he could do with losing his South African security blanket (not something I want to see from an Ulster perspective).

If I were Madigan I would concentrate on 12, I think he could be excellent there.

JJ needs to be starting for Northampton. At least Madigan is losing out to the current Irish 10 and most recent Lions 10. JJ is behind Meyler who is solid but little more.

Ross Byrne looked a great talent at U20 level but think he struggled when he played for Leinster earlier in the season, but there seems to be something to work with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,353 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jackson in the short term you would think, but Ross Byrne is one to watch. He could be Ireland's top fly-half for the 2019 World Cup if he lives up to the promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Jack Carty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I can't see any of the starting 10's in the other provinces succeeding Sexton, nor can I see Madigan succeeding him either. For me it's either JJ Hanrahan or someone currently in the academies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Barring career ending injury then I would bet my house that Sexton will be in the squad come 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

bilston wrote: »
    I think Jackson is probably the most likely but he could do with losing his South African security blanket (not something I want to see from an Ulster perspective).

If I were Madigan I would concentrate on 12, I think he could be excellent there.

JJ needs to be starting for Northampton. At least Madigan is losing out to the current Irish 10 and most recent Lions 10. JJ is behind Meyler who is solid but little more.

Ross Byrne looked a great talent at U20 level but think he struggled when he played for Leinster earlier in the season, but there seems to be something to work with there.

Yeah I agree and I do think Madigan would make a great 12. He reminds of Giteaux in that respect, can do a job at 10 but his skills are much better suited to 12.

Carty is a good call It's too early to tell yet. It is between him Jackson and him atm though. Byrne lke JJ has shown promise but will need to be starting regularlly at the top level to develop his game which could happen if Madigan leaves Leinster. That is providing they don't bring in another NIQ or use Necewa as first choice back up during the International window. Hopefully JJ will get a run at 10 soon because I still think the possibility is there for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Jackson, JJ and then Byrne. I think Byrne is going to be world class.

No pressure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

A project player.

Just to be different and spice the thread up...

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

4 years is a long time. Paddy Jackson is not very consistent as a kicker but his kicking is at times wonderful so there's plenty to work on. Ross Byrne wasn't great earlier in the season but I think Boss tried to take over a little too many duties from him on his start so I wouldn't read too much into that.

They'd be the 2 I'd see with having the possibility of getting to a really top level. Madigan, JJ, Carthy I can't see getting to them levels.

I think with Sexton being such a special player that it may not be a bad idea for him to take time out similar to what carter did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭phog

Isn't Tyler Bleyendaal a project player, he could be in the mix yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Watching the under 20 6 nations this year, I said Ross Byrne is Ireland's next 10....I'm not saying it will happen in the next 18 months or anything but long term I think he has what it takes to perform at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

swiwi_ wrote: »
    A project player.

Might be the best option. Madigan is the current best but not top level, Jackson isn't kicking on, JJ is going backwards and it's way too early to judge Byrne.

A good project might be very tempting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Of the current options, Jackson is the best fly half. He's not kicked on quite like I hoped he would though.

I would imagine there is a reasonable chance the replacement is not obvious at this point. I don't see Sexton going anywhere in the next few years really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

yeah on second though Tyler Bleyendaal seems the most realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

bilston wrote: »

Myler is rated in Ireland in the same way that Alex King was. He's a very straightforward, unflashy outhalf but if he was Irish he'd be starting in a province and in the Irish set up.

English rugby has fallen foul of continuously looking for the next Jonny Wilkinson, insisting on promoting an exciting young player to the jersey (Cipriani, Ford, Farrell, Flood) but in Myler they've a really solid player who is dismissed as a league convert who didn't break into the Saints team until he was 24 at which point the ship has sailed it appears as an outhalf in England.

Hanrahan could learn loads from him. However, to be honest, I don't think Hanrahan has the mental side of the game in a similar fashion to Madigan. I'd back Jackson or Ross Byrne in the long term ahead of either; both offer a more controlling, less erratic influence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

phog wrote: »
    Isn't Tyler Bleyendaal a project player, he could be in the mix yet.

10. Tyler B
    12. Aki
    13. Te'o
    14. GvdH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

S12b wrote: »
    Watching the under 20 6 nations this year, I said Ross Byrne is Ireland's next 10....I'm not saying it will happen in the next 18 months or anything but long term I think he has what it takes to perform at the highest level.

Not a bad shout although he's probably a good few years away yet given who's still ahead of him at Leinster, let alone Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

swiwi_ wrote: »
    A project player.

Stander it is. If his wife is down with the change of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

CatFromHue wrote: »
    10. Tyler B
    12. Aki
    13. Te'o
    14. GvdH

15. Payne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree and I do think Madigan would make a great 12. He reminds of Giteaux in that respect, can do a job at 10 but his skills are much better suited to 12.

Think you're confusing your Gateaux with your Giteau :D

Think you're confusing your Gateaux with your Giteau :D

I indeed. am haha. I did not notice. xD

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭phog

CatFromHue wrote: »
    10. Tyler B
    12. Aki
    13. Te'o
    14. GvdH

Probably going to be missing a few but we could field a selection from Ah You, White, Herbst, Strauss, Herring, Quinn Roux, CJ, Bleyendaal, Aki, Teo, GdvH and Payne.

Some of those might be here under grandparent rule or whatever allowed Boss, Court, Bent etc, play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Surely Jonny has at least 5 years of top level rugby in him yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Darragh Fanning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

phog wrote: »
    Probably going to be missing a few but we could field a selection from Ah You, White, Herbst, Strauss, Herring, Quinn Roux, CJ, Bleyendaal, Aki, Teo, GdvH and Payne.

Some of those might be here under grandparent rule or whatever allowed Boss, Court, Bent etc, play for Ireland.

Louie ludik? Did he play for the boks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Teferi wrote: »
    Barring career ending injury then I would bet my house that Sexton will be in the squad come 2019.

I think that's the point of the thread

Advertisement