Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will succeed Johnny Sexton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

case885 wrote: »
    Would he have started two european games? Highly unlikely id say.

He hasn't started two European games. He's started one. And one other game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

errlloyd wrote:

Hes starting against racing tomorrow, now I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure thats 2 European games hes been named to start in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

errlloyd wrote: »

He's been named in the team to visit Racing this weekend.

I don't think it means he's displaced Myler as first-choice but it's good exposure for him nonetheless.

Racing are throwing some new bloke in at 10 for his debut so they're obviously not taking it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    There is no rule in place. It's just that most Irish players don't go abroad, but when they so (Sexton, Bowe) they are picked

While there is definitely no hard and fast rule, there does appear to be a bias towards home based players and the union are keen to keep that perception alive.

Basically if you are Johnny sexton or Tommy Bowe a bias against selecting you doesn't mean anything (because you are clearly going to make the team), on the other hand players like Mile Ross / Bob Casey / Jeremy Staunton arguably were playing abroad at a level where they should have been included in squads (but not necessarily the first xv) and were completely overlooked.

People can (and do) argue over specific players etc but at the very least it suits to union to have the perception maintained that moving abroad hurts your Irish chances. It gives the 20-25 players at any one time who have realistic Irish ambitions but not guaranteed positions on the team a more difficult decision to make when an offer comes in from abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I will tell you who wont suceed Jonny Sexton: Keatley, Jackson or Madigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

WarZ wrote: »
    I will tell you who wont suceed Jonny Sexton: Keatley, Jackson or Madigan.

Yeah, they're too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Would he have started two european games? Highly unlikely id say.

I don't see why not if he was up to it. Highly unlikely that any coach would cut off their nose to spite their face. As ROG said in his article in examiner yesterday - its a pity JJ didn't stay to fight for his place.

jm08 wrote:
    I don't see why not if he was up to it. Highly unlikely that any coach would cut off their nose to spite their face. As ROG said in his article in examiner yesterday - its a pity JJ didn't stay to fight for his place.

Well there's the issue of keatleys brittle confidence, he'd never recover from being dropped for a young pup like JJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

Well there's the issue of keatleys brittle confidence, he'd never recover from being dropped for a young pup like JJ.

Surely that's no reason to keep playing him. I don't think Foley would ever start JJ over Keatley not matter what their respective form was like and I'm assuming JJ felt the same way

Back to the question at hand, "Who will succeed Johnny Sexton"

Answer: No One.

We don't have anyone that is at or near the calibre of JS at his Heineken Cup winning best. I include current Johnny Sexton in that.

The reality is that we've never had anyone at that level before and we may need to wait for a while before we have it again. We may produce an O'Gara or a Humphries but players with the vision and ability of JS just don't come along all that often.

None of the current crop of players are at that level, so unless some of the early 20's guys develop into something special I'd say the only hope of us seeing that level of play again in these shores are if JS finds his form again soon. Otherwise it's going to be a wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Stuart Olding.

(Since every suggestion doesnt seem to work anyway may as well have someone else in the mix)

Murray to place kick.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

We don't have anyone that is at or near the calibre of JS at his Heineken Cup winning best. I include current Johnny Sexton in that.

The reality is that we've never had anyone at that level before and we may need to wait for a while before we have it again. We may produce an O'Gara or a Humphries but players with the vision and ability of JS just don't come along all that often.

None of the current crop of players are at that level, so unless some of the early 20's guys develop into something special I'd say the only hope of us seeing that level of play again in these shores are if JS finds his form again soon. Otherwise it's going to be a wait.

Does Sexton have a son? How young is too young go blood a player?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,240 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus, an O'Gara or Humphries knocking around right now would be more than acceptable!

I think it will be very interesting to see how JJ gets on this season he may have a shot at the summer tour to south Africa, good bench option covering 12 and 15 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

@ ??

Dan Biggar ...... Lions 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

@ ??

Dan Biggar ...... Lions 2017.

Almost certainly. As long as his current form continues of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dan Biggar will make an excellent replacement for Owen Farrell on the next Lions tour.

Dan Biggar will make an excellent replacement for Owen Farrell on the next Lions tour.

Finn Russell will sneak up on the inside and usurp them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

JJ is back on the bench for Northampton's home game against Racing tomorrow so he remains firmly second choice there anyway.

JJ is back on the bench for Northampton's home game against Racing tomorrow so he remains firmly second choice there anyway.

I think everyone agrees hes second choice there, hes still being exposed to a lot of top level rugby.

• Advertisement

I think everyone agrees hes second choice there, hes still being exposed to a lot of top level rugby.

And not being booed!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

It's also not a surprising change after the last result. I'm not saying it was his fault or anything but they need to try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Thought I'd resurect this. Could Olding be a darkhorse. He has the skills to play 10 and I'd argue that his build is more suited to Outhalf as oppossed to centre in the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Thought I'd resurect this. Could Olding be a darkhorse. He has the skills to play 10 and I'd argue that his build is more suited to Outhalf as oppossed to centre in the modern game.

Maybe, but unlikely as his kicking would take a few seasons to get to international standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Maybe, but unlikely as his kicking would take a few seasons to get to international standard.

Surely its Ian Keatley's gig now?

Utah_Saint wrote: »

Comes back to having to rely on the 10 for your kicking. Everyone should have to learn to kick, regardless of position! Even the props.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Surely its Ian Keatley's gig now?

Is Bleyendaal a project player? :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These threads are always good fun cause you'll come back in about 5 years time and discover two things:

1. The young academy guys that everyone raves about as the next big thing haven't actually made it as a professional, or never lived up to the hype
    2. The guys that everyone writes off or declares "will never be as good as x" actually turn out to be really good.

I am sure if you dug up posts about Sexton when he was in his early 20s plenty of people would have written him off as nothing special. These things are very difficult to predict.

awec wrote: »
    These threads are always good fun cause you'll come back in about 5 years time and discover two things:

1. The young academy guys that everyone raves about as the next big thing haven't actually made it as a professional, or never lived up to the hype
    2. The guys that everyone writes off or declares "will never be as good as x" actually turn out to be really good.

I am sure if you dug up posts about Sexton when he was in his early 20s plenty of people would have written him off as nothing special. These things are very difficult to predict.

Just pull up the match thread for the 2009 semi final. All the groans when Contemponi went off will tell you everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Just pull up the match thread for the 2009 semi final. All the groans when Contemponi went off will tell you everything!

I was at the match and I groaned!

Was a big fan of Sexton, was saying that we looked our best when he replaced Felipe at the end of matches, but I was convinced he couldn't kick (particularly after the 2008 Churchiil Cup) and I thought the occasion would get to him!

Advertisement