Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

tommycahir wrote: »
    From what I have read they would not have the performance power or stability of those common boxes, some of those boxes would also have the ability to add more tuners via slots rather than via the usb tuner route.
    The better the processing power the smoother the interchanges between screens and menus etc will be.
    In short you get what you pay for. the wetek is a great little starter box or one to get familiar with the different options available and I am using it for that to get familiar with enigma2 os configuration etc. before buying a more powerful box for the main sitting room. The wetek will then become the kodi box and my rpi2 will get moved to the bedroom.

Thanks again... From what you know so far, what would you recommend for a dedicated satellite box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

From what I have read they would not have the performance power or stability of those common boxes, some of those boxes would also have the ability to add more tuners via slots rather than via the usb tuner route.
    The better the processing power the smoother the interchanges between screens and menus etc will be.
    In short you get what you pay for. the wetek is a great little starter box or one to get familiar with the different options available and I am using it for that to get familiar with enigma2 os configuration etc. before buying a more powerful box for the main sitting room. The wetek will then become the kodi box and my rpi2 will get moved to the bedroom.

The wetek box has more CPU power,bigger nand flash and more ram then both of the above boxes,the main drawback with the wetek against a dedicated satellite box is that its a hybrid,its designed to run android/kodi and E2,so its hardware has to be tuned/tweaked/modified differently in a way,dedicated sat boxes are setup just for satellite TV viewing at which they would probably be better then the wetek,but that's not why you should buy the wetek ;)

wiz569 wrote: »
    but that's not why you should buy the wetek ;)

Okay why should I buy the Wetek over a dedicated satellite receiver? I already have an Android box running Kodi

Okay why should I buy the Wetek over a dedicated satellite receiver? I already have an Android box running Kodi

If you like gadgets :)

If you already have a kodi box and dont need another one then dont bother,but if you like tinkering and the idea of having one box do both things then do lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Why do you need to get be sold on the box? No body is forcing you to buy one, if you want an openelec/engima2/android box for below 100 euro this is pretty much the only option.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote:
    Why do you need to get be sold on the box? No body is forcing you to buy one, if you want an openelec/engima2/android box for below 100 euro this is pretty much the only option.

RossieMan wrote:

I never said anybody was forcing me to buy anything! I was asking an opinion of someone who has been giving me some advice! There's me thinking boards.ie was a forum for sharing information...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

you wont get any twin tuner near the price
    and the benefit of having the choice of 2 opeating systems setup on the 1 box,

Cheers man. Sure I'll have a buzz around with it when I get it and see if I like it, if not I'm sure I will get rid of easy enough.

edit
    there no talk allowed of that lol

My bad, I should have known..

• Advertisement

Anyone know what version of openelec this box comes with pre installed ?

Looking through forums here and I see lots of different versions of openelec so I'd like to get a head start If I can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Why do you need to get be sold on the box? No body is forcing you to buy one.

:confused:

Anyone know what version of openelec this box comes with pre installed ?

Looking through forums here and I see lots of different versions of openelec so I'd like to get a head start If I can

should come with 6.0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Hi simple question with probably a simple answer
    How do I mark favourites
    It's a simple process on my jail broken atv2 and handy for the kids or herself to find stuff quickly

I thought it would be the star button but doesn't work

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

soundsham wrote: »
    Hi simple question with probably a simple answer
    How do I mark favourites
    It's a simple process on my jail broken atv2 and handy for the kids or herself to find stuff quickly

I thought it would be the star button but doesn't work

Thanks

In what? Kodi/OpenELEC?
    Press menu on remote -> add to favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Hi

Just to help the ~70-80 newbies who will be coming here soon for info on Wetek play box below are some of the most useful sites and forums I have found

I will be scouring the web for a 'dummies guide' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Allyall wrote: »
    In what? Kodi/OpenELEC?
    Press menu on remote -> add to favourites.

Kodi open elec
    Yes
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Don't think it's been posted here yet, there's a new e2 image out for the wetek.

Mnigma

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-play/enigma-2/enigma-2-images/26197-official-mnigma-topic-wetekplay

Seems very smooth, fast channel changes and no picture/sound breakup yet like I had with other images.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Don't think it's been posted here yet, there's a new e2 image out for the wetek.

Mnigma

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-play/enigma-2/enigma-2-images/26197-official-mnigma-topic-wetekplay

Seems very smooth, fast channel changes and no picture/sound breakup yet like I had with other images.

just for anyone, autobouqet maker is not working with this image

GY A1 wrote: »
    just for anyone, autobouqet maker is not working with this image
    Autobouquetse2 is available in the plugins downloads menu and works fine.

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Autobouquetse2 is available in the plugins downloads menu and works fine.

have u tried it and no crash
    is image any better than pbnigma

have u tried it and no crash

Yes, ran it numerous times now and not a single crash. I've always found ABM a little more problematic on various boxes/images so I always use autobouquetse2.

Is there much difference between the Wetek Pay and Wetek Core? and which would be the better?

iPhone. wrote: »
    Is there much difference between the Wetek Pay and Wetek Core? and which would be the better?

Wetek core doesn't have tv tuners
    So depends what u want

Wetek core doesn't have tv tuners
    So depends what u want

Ah grand, thanks.

Core wouldn't be much use to me at the moment then.

I saw in a review of the Play somewhere that it comes with a one year subscription to updates and after that you have to pay for subsequent updates, what's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Waiting on delivery of one of these - but quick one for ye - what do people recommend?

Small Micro SD + USB Hard Drive for recordings

Or

Large Capacity Class 10 Micro SD for all

Any advantage to one or the other? Was just going to pick up a cheap and cheerful 8GB Class 10 Micro SD card and then plug in a external HDD but any advantage in doing the latter?

ya use

Basq wrote: »
    Waiting on delivery of one of these - but quick one for ye - what do people recommend?

Or

Large Capacity Class 10 Micro SD for all

Any advantage to one or the other? Was just going to pick up a cheap and cheerful 8GB Class 10 Micro SD card and then plug in a external HDD but any advantage in doing the latter?

GY A1 wrote:
    ya use Small Micro SD + USB Hard Drive for recordings

Why do you need to use two storage devices? Would the hard drive or SD card alone not be enough?

No reason that i'm aware of why you cannot just use a large SD card,PBnimga image creates a virtual partition /media/uSDetra which can be used for recording,I have only tested with an 8GB card and it gives you just over 5GB to use in the above partition,presumably its more if the card is bigger

• Advertisement

If you go the Ext USB HDD route for recording and leave the Micro SD for booting various OS options is what I imagine might be handiest.

Advertisement