Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

naughto wrote: »
    That's not this storm. I'd say circles will be tasking a holiday from the form soon

Needless to say I won't be contributing video footage from now on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick.

Sustained wind 22km/hr.
    light rain.
    overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Is this a bit of a non event for Cork (City) or is it due to get worse? Honestly I haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary here. Just a bit blustery and wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

ASCAT winds measured at 11:22 today.

370761.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Is this a bit of a non event for Cork (City) or is it due to get worse? Honestly I haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary here. Just a bit blustery and wet.

Its probably being replicated across about 75% of the country. To me its a typical December bad day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its probably being replicated across about 75% of the country. To me its a typical December bad day.

Maybe reduce that, as several people are expecting something that wasn't forecast. Eg Dublin has a yellow warning, yet people there are still expecting Red warning rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

A very hyped up situation. Many people in South Donegal wondering what the fuss was and I overheard a woman in the petrol station asking a guy was there a storm on the way?! Wind and rain no different to what most of the northwest gets several times per month during the year, including summer months! An orange alert was ample for this. After the damp squib that was Rachel last year, Met E should have been more restrained in issuing the red alert.

Also I heard that these last two storms, Clodagh and Desmond were only named because Met Eireann insisted. The UK Met Office didn't agree but only went along with it as they were afraid of being seen condescending towards Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Needless to say I won't be contributing video footage from now on. :)

I see your trees grow at the same angle as mine :)
    The majority of us appreciate the video footage and when I see it, and I'm sure others feel the same here, I feel a bit better knowing it's not only my windows bending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very stormy in Galway again, just recorded a gust of 75 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

naughto wrote: »
    That's not this storm. I'd say circles will be tasking a holiday from the form soon

I can assure you the video circles uploaded was an accurate summary of what I experienced in Newport.
    I know the difference between a light breeze and a damaging gust, and from around 3 yesterday until the early hours of this morning we had some severe gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

legomaniac wrote: »
    A very hyped up situation. Many people in South Donegal wondering what the fuss was and I overheard a woman in the petrol station asking a guy was there a storm on the way?! Wind and rain no different to what most of the northwest gets several times per month during the year, including summer months! An orange alert was ample for this. After the damp squib that was Rachel last year, Met E should have been more restrained in issuing the red alert.

Also I heard that these last two storms, Clodagh and Desmond were only named because Met Eireann insisted. The UK Met Office didn't agree but only went along with it as they were afraid of being seen condescending towards Met Eireann.

Certainly causing huge problems here in the Finn Valley, Ballybofey, Castlefinn all badly flooded.

Met Office in the UK also have a red alert issued for rain afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Here in South Donegal. This has been nothing more than a typical December unsettled day. Yes it's been raining since 5pm yesterday but it's not particularly heavy. Some spot flooding in fields but that's normal even year. Wind wise, one or two strong gusts but I was just in Ballyshannon and it's hardly noticeable. Trader told me they have noticed a sharp drop in the usual Saturday trade and he blamed Met Eireann for hyping everyone up with a Red Warning.

The red warning relates to rain not wind and it's justified. You always complain. Lots of properties flooded in Donegal,my friend being one of them. Lots of car have been abandoned because of flooded roads. The flood waters are higher than those of last month which saw the worst flooding since the 60's in certain parts of Donegal. Yeah every typical. So no it hasn't been overhyped. Every wind,rain, snow warning you give out about. There's more to Ireland than your little corner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Here comes the blame gang now, just because it's not too bad in some parts of the Country does not mean it's the same for the rest of us, here in Galway its been a terribly stormy few days and night, Christmas market deserted and closed at Spanish Arch, flooding in the City and County and Garda say it's very dangerous to drive on the M6 Motorway, continuous gusts up to 55 mph and I recorded 75 mph a while ago

Well sorry for having an opinion and for reporting accurately on what I have witnessed and seen across North Sligo, Leitrim and South Donegal. Anyway I won't bother posting anything else. In fact before it gets dark I think I will go for a walk along the river with the dog. Yes the river that was actually higher last week. Goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Well said lads can never please some people

Well sorry for having an opinion and for reporting accurately on what I have witnessed and seen across North Sligo, Leitrim and South Donegal. Anyway I won't bother posting anything else. In fact before it gets dark I think I will go for a walk along the river with the dog. Yes the river that was actually higher last week. Goodbye.

People express their opinion without blaiming everything on someone, and if you don't like being challenged on your blame game at least have the courtesy not to turn it around on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Joseph291987

Finn Valley area of Donegal with some of the worst flooding Ive ever seen main road between Castlefinn and Lifford is unpassable at Castelfinn which is one of the main roads through the east of the county and its still raining very heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Here comes the blame gang now, just because it's not too bad in some parts of the Country does not mean it's the same for the rest of us, here in Galway its been a terribly stormy few days and night, Christmas market deserted and closed at Spanish Arch, flooding in the City and County and Garda say it's very dangerous to drive on the M6 Motorway, continuous gusts up to 55 mph and I recorded 75 mph a while ago
    I have NEVER EVER been scared by wind driving before today ........after turning back on 3 roads due to floods I finally got onto the motorway into Galway........was driving a max of 80kmph due to excess water .........just after the oranmore junction myself and my entire family were almost sent for an unplanned flight ! A truly violent gust sideswiped the car and pushed itlnit hard shoulder before I regained control
    White faces all round .
    And to be honest if I was not as aware as I was I may not have reacted as quick
    Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

Storm 10 wrote: »

Fully agree Storm 10, I live in Salthill Galway & it has been extremely stormy here even though we are well used to bad weather! Christmas lights in Shop st blew down last night, as you mentioned market had to close, telegraph pole came down in front of a bus during peak traffic yesterday & Dominic St had to close because an aeriel mast blew down also! Not exactly your average days bad weather in these parts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

South Donegal ok yeah? Well let's hope you and your dog don't call in for one when your on your walk. Pettigo local in South Donegal. You can tell them it's nothing sure. Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

South Donegal ok yeah? Well let's hope you and your dog don't call in for one when your on your walk. Pettigo local in South Donegal. You can tell them it's nothing sure. Stay safe

the pub IN the river ! wow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭cml387

Anyone flying into Dublin last night or today might dispute a non event. Ryanair cancelled everything out of Dublin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

horsefarm wrote: »
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-SqTtJCZoE4&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> My first attempt to upload a video so not sure if it'll work. A bit more than breezy in Dublin
    Fixed that for you:

[noparse]

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Second attempt to upload...
    http://youtu.be/-SqTtJCZoE4

Just back with the dog. Yes, a windy evening. Some gale gusts. Just to counteract some of the bullying type comments made about my earlier posts when I said that the storm is a non event in South Donegal... firstly, I reported on what I saw after driving from Sligo town earlier to Ballybofey... there was no floods, apart from annual flooding in fields and secondly I didn't see any trees felled or damage to houses (thankfully). Secondly, that pub in Pettigo floods annually as that river is very flashy. Nothing out of the ordinary with that. Thirdly, my brother in law in Lifford said yes the road is flooded, but it's completely passable and it happens every winter. So that's it.

I have no agenda to hype or downplay any weather event. I enjoy the weather as much as anyone else on here. But I don't like the way I was circled upon. What would people prefer? I exaggerate the situation to make them feel better as they know deep down this should not be a Red Weather Alert situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Crossmolina co Mayo. At the moment at the worst flooding ever and still rising with tonight yet to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭OldRio

Leitrim?

I live in Leitrim. My land backs onto a Lake. It is as full as I've known it.
    Flooding all across the roads and land.
    Debris from trees adding to the dangerous driving conditions, Cross winds on open roads is bloody scary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had a new high gust for event of 75.6 kph here this afternoon in Ardfert, interesting to see if it will increase by much this evening now that Kerry has been included in the Orange Warning.

MWO5FWO.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

.... some mad gusts here in the last 10/15 mins, :eek:

Advertisement