Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

We are quite sheltered here and I don't have my weather station wind guage at the 10m required height. Max gust was 66km/h yesterday afternoon. It's blustery out but never stormy. (Near Clara)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Barna77 wrote: »
    Flight cancelled

AerLingus and other airlines did fly though

1. Not the thread.
    2. Every airline has had disruption, all Aer Lingus regional flights cancelled today for example. Don't go on a Ryanair blame game like people normally do. Ryanair are certainly not in favour of cancelling their flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Nowhere near as strong winds as Storm Barney in the midwest region. Only a couple of thousand without power in the country thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Supercell wrote: »
    Dublin, Ireland? highest wind gust I've recorded so far is 67kmh and 5mm of rain since midnight, this is definitely a western Ireland event.

Everywhere outside the pale you mean. It's been pretty awful in athlone since about 5 pm yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Heard that moron Phil Crawly just refer to it as 'Hurricane' Desmond.....

I have a feeling that its a bad day countrywide typical for 'the most wonderful time of the year' but I'd say its severity varies from area to area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Wind has been picking up in the last hour, anemometer at a height of around 4m above ground, is at a constant F6 with highest gust at 76km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Wind is picking up again in mayo,very wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Latest aviation warnings:

-EISN SIGMET 08 VALID 051200/051600 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR SEV TURB FCST S OF LINE N5300 W01500 - N5525 W00720 SFC/FL060 STNR NC=
    -EISN SIGMET 07 VALID 051025/051400 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR SEV MTW FCST N OF N5130 AND E OF W01030 FL050/200 =
    -CASEMENT EIME AD WRNG 02 VALID 051231/060300 SFC WIND SW 30-35KT MAX 40-45 BECMG OCNL 35-40 MAX 50-55 FCST =
    -DUBLIN EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 050900/060300 SFC WIND SW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 BECMG OCNL 25-30 MAX 45-50 FCST =
    -SHANNON EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 050900/060300 SFC WIND SW 20-25KT MAX 35-40 BECMG OCNL 25-30 MAX 40-45 FCST =
    -CORK EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 050900/060400 SFC WIND SW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 BECMG OCNL 30-35 MAX 45-50 FCST =
    -KNOCK EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 050900/052300 SFC WIND SW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 BECMG OCNL 30-35 MAX 45-50 FCST =

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭waterways

M4 has just calm 5 knots at 1200 while Kinsale Energy has picked up to 50 gust 63

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick.

Sustained wind 22km/hr.
    light rain.
    overcast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Must be into the second tranche of wind here as it seems worse now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's been absolutely appalling in Galway City since about 5 o'clock yesterday evening. Driving wind and rain with very little let up. I think ME got it spot on with their warnings. The coastguard helicopter just came in and out of Galway University Hospital, a terrible day to be up in an aircraft.

Cars damaged by fallen trees.

Strong Gusts just moved in here in west Clare, but the rain has lightened a bit, albeit not by very much.

Brown Thomas shop front cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Im down by kinsale, rain has eased, and wind is steadily strong, with gusts but not the worst we've seen, lots of warnings of flooded roads, trees down in the area. Electricity out for many places too. I feel awful for the west coast they must be getting an awful battering there. Has the worst passed, or is there a reload coming later today? Or is that just for the west? If so does anyone know approx time?

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Im down by kinsale, rain has eased, and wind is steadily strong, with gusts but not the worst we've seen, lots of warnings of flooded roads, trees down in the area. Electricity out for many places too. I feel awful for the west coast they must be getting an awful battering there. Has the worst passed, or is there a reload coming later today? Or is that just for the west? If so does anyone know approx time?

Windwise the worst is to come for the west around 6 pm. Rainwise it will continue until at least midnight.

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Well here in West Clare it's bad, but not that bad. Been pretty consistent since last night, I'm surprised at the lack of damage.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Well here in West Clare it's bad, but not that bad. Been pretty consistent since last night, I'm surprised at the lack of damage.

Never mind, since I've typed that the Gusts have really came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You rover dog walking reporter just recorded a gust of 49 mph on the handheld by the sea. The shore is covered in sea foam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

FWVT wrote: »
    Windwise the worst is to come for the west around 6 pm. Rainwise it will continue until at least midnight.

Will 6pm be the peak or just the start? If it's just the start how long do you think it will last?
    Sorry for the questions, we had a fairly rough day and night with wind yesterday so not looking forward to any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Here in South Donegal. This has been nothing more than a typical December unsettled day. Yes it's been raining since 5pm yesterday but it's not particularly heavy. Some spot flooding in fields but that's normal even year. Wind wise, one or two strong gusts but I was just in Ballyshannon and it's hardly noticeable. Trader told me they have noticed a sharp drop in the usual Saturday trade and he blamed Met Eireann for hyping everyone up with a Red Warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

There's a tree down on Taylors Hill Road in Galway City plus large branches down on roads around Barna and Moycullen. For the 3rd time since this morning the Fire Brigade have just sped up the street past where I am near the fire station, they are kept busy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

On the west coast of Mayo?
    I'm in Castlebar at the moment and and it's just about breezy.
    A big contrast to Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It has been extremely windy in Galway city today. I'm cosy at home listening to serious howling wind outside but our roof has leaked in 3 places and as well as the howling wind we are listening to the tv aerial loudly clanking against the side of the house and blowing around as it's come loose! No way anything can be done about it today though in this wind.
    I can't remember being in a house that incurred damage before in a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

legomaniac wrote: »
    Here in South Donegal. This has been nothing more than a typical December unsettled day. Yes it's been raining since 5pm yesterday but it's not particularly heavy. Some spot flooding in fields but that's normal even year. Wind wise, one or two strong gusts but I was just in Ballyshannon and it's hardly noticeable. Trader told me they have noticed a sharp drop in the usual Saturday trade and he blamed Met Eireann for hyping everyone up with a Red Warning.

Great plan blame the forecaster for people not shopping today, not the weather.

Typical ''shoot the messenger'' stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Aherlow co Tipperary
    not as bad as earlier on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

corsav6 wrote: »
    On the west coast of Mayo?
    I'm in Castlebar at the moment and and it's just about breezy.
    A big contrast to Newport.

That's not this storm. I'd say circles will be tasking a holiday from the form soon

• Advertisement

Very steady wind in Clew Bay, both in speed and direction. Live readings here

http://www.mayosailingclub.com/InfoAnemometer.html

370757.gif

370758.gif

Advertisement