Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Hopefully people will educate themselves soon about this 'climate change'. It was a phenomena created by Maurice Strong, endorsed by the UN and popularized by Al Gore. Mainstream science has simply followed and agreed, much like the tailors in the Emperor's New Clothes. There is an awful lot of bad science around. Anyway these low pressure systems happen in spite of rather than because of, 'climate change'. Oh, and did the Ozone layer disappear yet? Though not. No one talks about that anymore .Anyway back on topic, 35.3 mm of rain in the last 24hrs. Pretty waterlogged out there.

"But its the worse weather since records began!"

I feel the Geological Time-scale should be compulsory learning for all primary school children. It would help give context to extreme weather events, probably give organized religion some context too......a debate certainly not for this thread though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Love how the guy in the background on Theresa Mannions report strolls by with zero fcuks given while she looks like she's stuck in a wind tunnel with a hose on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

A couple more wild gusts in the last few minutes (I thought the wind had gone)/S.Sligo.

Disclaimer;
    The views expressed by Pretzill are relevant to her general area only and not meant to overhype or cause worry to those living in Sligo who think ('Ara it's always like this, just a squall...) From a hill in South Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Theresa should be ashamed of herself. Pathetic reporting there from a bit of wind and rain. She must have chosen the windiest corner of the street she could find. Reminds me of reporters in location before hurricanes arrive, trying to get to the breeziest spot to make things look worse than they are. Her whining and pleading is just embarrassing. If anyone from the hurricane belt is watching I'm sure they're having a good laugh. Father Ted is right

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest Rport M3 Buoy ( Off the Cork coast ,approximately 30 nautical miles (56km) southwest of Mizen Head )

Wave Height 9.8m ( 32 feet )

• Advertisement

It looks like the highest Dessie gust recorded in any of the 30+ stations on the island of Ireland was 64 kts at Mace Head yesterday evening.

Belmullet reported a sharp drop from 16 to 8 m/s (31 to 16 kts) and a sharp veering of direction at 18:54 today.

The Mayo Sailing Club anemometer shows a nice reduction in the past hour.

370801.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

FWVT wrote: »
    Theresa should be ashamed of herself. Pathetic reporting there from a bit of wind and rain. She must have chosen the windiest corner of the street she could find. Reminds me of reporters in location before hurricanes arrive, trying to get to the breeziest spot to make things look worse than they are.

Trust me, she wouldn't have to look to hard for a breezy spot in Salthill. There could be barely a puff on wind in Eyre Sq but walk out to Salthill you could be swept off your feet anytime without warning.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Thresa on RTE News again now. Still standing in the gale.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Thresa on RTE News again now. Still standing in the gale.

Oh ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

waterways wrote: »
    You are on the Strong Winds thread ....... :p:D

Dammit I started waffling and totally forgot what thread I was in. Winds dying down here at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Oh ffs...

Ah this is brilliant. She puts the weather guy on the Simpsons to shame.

Seriously though going by the reports around the country the warnings were justified.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Ah this is brilliant. She puts the weather guy on the Simpsons to shame.

Seriously though going by the reports around the country the warnings were justified.

I agree, but her hysterics were way ott. Guys walking behind her no problem. It's all about putting on a show for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Theresa should be ashamed of herself. Pathetic reporting there from a bit of wind and rain. She must have chosen the windiest corner of the street she could find. Reminds me of reporters in location before hurricanes arrive, trying to get to the breeziest spot to make things look worse than they are. Her whining and pleading is just embarrassing. If anyone from the hurricane belt is watching I'm sure they're having a good laugh. Father Ted is right

She was hamming it up in a big way for that report. It's a shame - I rated her as a good reporter. There must be a promotion or other job-related reason for her over the top behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I agree, but her hysterics were way ott. Guys walking behind her no problem. It's all about putting on a show for tv.

Well TV3 started reporting weather events outdoors in this country and they copied it from the US. It is about putting on a show and I doubt they had a fan blowing water in her face. If it makes people aware of what's going on in the country then it's worth it. I bet they'll be another reporter in waders tomorrow doing a report on the floods. I don't live in the west but i'd say the Shannon will be flooding in days or a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Maybe she wants to be on the jimmy kimmel show.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

wind picking up in Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Carnacalla wrote: »
    1. Not the thread.
    2. Every airline has had disruption, all Aer Lingus regional flights cancelled today for example. Don't go on a Ryanair blame game like people normally do. Ryanair are certainly not in favour of cancelling their flights.
    Posted that from inside a plane where I had been stuck for three hours. Named plane was shaking due to the wind.

Never blamed Ryanair

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Flat calm in mayo now but still raining heavy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

It looks like the highest Dessie gust recorded in any of the 30+ stations on the island of Ireland was 64 kts at Mace Head yesterday evening.

Belmullet reported a sharp drop from 16 to 8 m/s (31 to 16 kts) and a sharp veering of direction at 18:54 today.

The Mayo Sailing Club anemometer shows a nice reduction in the past hour.

370801.gif

Well called FWVT , I think it was about 64kts you predicted would be the highest speed in your earlier posts... 24hrs+ before the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You would know the worst is over now if you look at all the trawlers heading out of Castletownbere on Marine Traffic

Image of the day. From Facebook

370819.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why are these things called events?

It feels like I should be going onto ticket master to get good seats so I can see it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Desmond is really giving a good goodbye. Wind here in West Clare is very strong and gusty! Everything creaking, the water bottle on my table actually shaking slightly :D

At 2 am winds at Dublin, Cork and Shannon have alot picked up alot,
    Dublin: 29knots Gust 44knots
    Cork: 28knots Gust 41knots
    Shannon: 31knots Gust 45knots

Compared to the following at 1:30am
    Dublin: 25knots Gust 38knots
    Cork: 26knots
    Shannon: 21knots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm on the Meath/Cavan border and its still gusting pretty hard every so often here.
    Not as regular as it was but when the gusts come, still shaking the rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Had a great swim in Salthill on Galway yesterday,really makes you feel alive gettting in the water on days like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Had a great swim in Salthill on Galway yesterday,really makes you feel alive gettting in the water on days like that

There's a certain rte reporter who wants you to give an
    interview.

LaGlisse wrote: »

More like under the bridge at the River Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭waterways

Sorry lads but all the talking about walking the dog along the shore or around the headland in gale force winds and swimming in the sea in rough conditions, I don't want to read that sort of stuff anymore. It is reckless. :mad: rant off
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1206/751678-hook-head-teenagers-rescued/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If anyone comes on here and tells us they've been drowned while swimming in the sea during the storm, we just don't want to know.

Advertisement