Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Wind eased a little (some gusts still) Sligo - the rain is continuing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Winds still goin strong in Galway probably even stronger now than all day at times

Just recorded the highest gust so far today in Galway city: 85.2 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    20 mins drive up N17 and winds have more or less died down to a standard breeze. Rainfall very light.

20 mins drive down the N18 and the wind is certainly blowing as strong as it has done all day.
    The rain has eased though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,094 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

agreed Lumi, very windy in Castlebar now also. persistent rain all afternoon since around 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

At least 20 Spanish and French trawlers in Bantry Bay taking shelter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Massive swell overnight in the south and west. Persistent strong wings nationwide (80-100km gust) some exposed locations hitting 120.

Rain otals in northwest are most concerning factor.

But I'm dubious on the red warning. There must be regional differences in rainfall impact. The warning system needs an overhaul.

A gust to 70knots in Belmullet is totally different to a gust to 70kt at EIDW

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

New high gust here in Ardfert few minutes ago of 70.8 kph

Rain getting heavier now too ( 10mm ), stinker of a night out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This one is a bit confusing WC?

New Moon

weathercheck means that a 70 knot in Belmullet would do little damage as Mayo and north west mayo are well used to it. however the same kinda gust in Dublin would do damage and close the airport.

Midnight reports from met eireann- Mace head 54 knots.....Kinsale also gusting 54 knots. a blustery , but not "stormy" night. a rain event for sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storm 10 wrote: »
    At least 20 Spanish and French trawlers in Bantry Bay taking shelter

M3 Buoy ( Off the Cork coast , approximately 30 nautical miles (56km) southwest of Mizen Head ) 8.3m ( 27 feet ) wave height last report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

RapidScat winds scanned at 22:04 tonight.

370723.png

ASCAT winds at 20.38 and 21.32

370724.png

370725.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Massive swell overnight in the south and west. Persistent strong wings nationwide (80-100km gust) some exposed locations hitting 120.

Rain otals in northwest are most concerning factor.

But I'm dubious on the red warning. There must be regional differences in rainfall impact. The warning system needs an overhaul.

Of course there are regional differences to the general impact weather events have, and within regions there are local differences, and within localities there are IMBY (in my back yard) differences.

The current warning system is about as good as it can get from a national forecasting perspective. It's all about awareness levels and general impact probabilities on a "risk to an individual human" level rather than fallout totals within x square kilometers.

Any further regional/localised amendments to the national warnings can be put in place by county/local councils, school principles, Mary down the road ringing her brother about the top stone of the wall wobbling around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Forgive my ignorance, is there anything to that, that a 120km gust in Dublin would do a lot more damage than one in Donegal? Does trees become accustomed to hard weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Pangea wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, is there anything to that, that a 120km gust in Dublin would do a lot more damage than one in Donegal? Does trees become accustomed to hard weather?

Id imagine a tree falling in dublin is more interesting/damaging.

Just recorded a gust of 70mph in Galway getting stormy again after a short lull in the wind, lashing rain here now

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

This is the worst that I have experienced in Dublin and we're not on high alert .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Pangea wrote: »

It's not that they become accustomed as such, more that weaker trees don't survive in more windswept areas. Trees on the Atlantic coast that grow large survive because they can take a battering, the wind will have influenced the direction they grow in cases. In Dublin where there's less constant assault in terms of wind there are more delicate trees that grow to be large uninterrupted by very bad weather that will succumb to wind quicker than hardier ones.
    I think that's it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Driving from Dublin to West Limerick was an uneventful journey as expected.

A few gusts on exposed stretches of motorway but nothing to cause concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Sitting one hour in this plane.

It ain't going anywhere

Met Eireann's aviation wind chart for 18Z today shows wind at 2000 ft of only 5 kt just off Belmullet (55N 10W) while it's 70 kt just off Kerry (52.5N 10W). That's a difference of 65 kts over 150 nautical miles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This is the worst that I have experienced in Dublin and we're not on high alert .

Dublin, Ireland? highest wind gust I've recorded so far is 67kmh and 5mm of rain since midnight, this is definitely a western Ireland event.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Starting to pick up again on the south coast.

Kinsale Energy platform 50 gust 61

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Surprised at the amount of flights cancelled from Dublin

Villain wrote: »
    Surprised at the amount of flights cancelled from Dublin

Wind from 220 combined with a wet runway leaves it outside the limits of many aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Picking up here outside Newport again, some strong gusts. Rain has been non stop since last night.

Watch for one last sting in the tail in the west this evening as possibly the strongest winds of all show up. The 00Z ECM shows a strong gradient bringing 50-kt winds to Belmullet and with 925 hPa winds of 75 kt and less that 600 m above the surface we could see a 65-70-kt gust. Soon after the winds will fall almost dead calm.

ecm0125_millikort_msl_blh_10uv_2015120500_018.png

ecm0125_millikort_gh925_uv925_windshear850-925_2015120500_018.png

Wind picking up in Galway again highest gust I recorded was 70 mph last night, 22mm of rain so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Flight cancelled

AerLingus and other airlines did fly though

Advertisement