Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Haha the poor woman on RTE news was absolutely thrown all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Joseph291987

legomaniac wrote: »
    Just back with the dog. Yes, a windy evening. Some gale gusts. Just to counteract some of the bullying type comments made about my earlier posts when I said that the storm is a non event in South Donegal... firstly, I reported on what I saw after driving from Sligo town earlier to Ballybofey... there was no floods, apart from annual flooding in fields and secondly I didn't see any trees felled or damage to houses (thankfully). Secondly, that pub in Pettigo floods annually as that river is very flashy. Nothing out of the ordinary with that. Thirdly, my brother in law in Lifford said yes the road is flooded, but it's completely passable and it happens every winter. So that's it.

I have no agenda to hype or downplay any weather event. I enjoy the weather as much as anyone else on here. But I don't like the way I was circled upon. What would people prefer? I exaggerate the situation to make them feel better as they know deep down this should not be a Red Weather Alert situation...

https://twitter.com/donegalcouncil/status/673195644727742464

The council tweeted 30 minutes ago that the road is closed were I said it was closed so its not Passable and no this does not happen every winter ,sorry but your giving complete misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

RTe Reporter Teresa Mannions live report from galway just now was incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

legomaniac wrote: »
    Just back with the dog. Yes, a windy evening. Some gale gusts. Just to counteract some of the bullying type comments made about my earlier posts when I said that the storm is a non event in South Donegal... firstly, I reported on what I saw after driving from Sligo town earlier to Ballybofey... there was no floods, apart from annual flooding in fields and secondly I didn't see any trees felled or damage to houses (thankfully). Secondly, that pub in Pettigo floods annually as that river is very flashy. Nothing out of the ordinary with that. Thirdly, my brother in law in Lifford said yes the road is flooded, but it's completely passable and it happens every winter. So that's it.

I have no agenda to hype or downplay any weather event. I enjoy the weather as much as anyone else on here. But I don't like the way I was circled upon. What would people prefer? I exaggerate the situation to make them feel better as they know deep down this should not be a Red Weather Alert situation...

Your blind or ignorant perhaps both. N15 Lifford to Castlefinn road has been closed with people stranded in their cars so your Bro in law is wrong as well. Pic attached

Donegal county council are urgently looking for volunteers to fill sandbags in Stranorlar. Hundreds of properties flooded county wide. Castlefinns floods are worse than last month which was the worst in decades. Donegal town flooded again. Personally it's the worst I've seen.

You're just completely and utterly wrong. The real world and legos world are completely different. Read a Donegal Newspaper you can see it for yourself

Meant to attach above won't let me edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Teresa Mannion reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Joseph291987

Meant to attach above won't let me edit

Where was that taken?

Lifford to Castlefinn road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Some serious gusts now in Newport, genuinely scary looking at our back door bending and wind rippling across the roof like thunder.
    Has anybody an idea how long before it starts to calm down? Met have the orange warning in force until 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The winds got up in Castlebar the past hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Northeast Galway. Wind has really stepped up a notch since 6pm. Seems the strongest so far since the storm started. Wind was at a howl since noon, now its more of a roar. Amazed we still have power!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Local radio here in Galway spent over 15 minutes reading out all the road closure, trees down, burst rivers etc, never heard so many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Soft day Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I wonder when we'll hear the first idiot saying this is down to man-made climate change. The WMO have been doing everything they can in the run up to COP 21 to give the impression that severe weather currences around the world this year have been the fault of mankind. Pure ****e and propoganda to garner support.

https://www.wmo.int/media/content/wmo-2015-likely-be-warmest-record-2011-2015-warmest-five-year-period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

moeblogs wrote: »

And yet a poster claims the UK met office only begrudgingly labelled it a storm to humour met eireann...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hopefully the countries involvedi n the climate debate see this weather. It's worse it'd getting. We have to do somethinga bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

And yet a poster claims the UK met office only begrudgingly labelled it a storm to humour met eireann...

Is it not the country that is first affected by a storm (or meets the criteria in their area) that gets to call it. So a storm that bypasses us and hits britain gets defined as a "named storm" by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Hopefully the countries involvedi n the climate debate see this weather. It's worse it'd getting. We have to do somethinga bout it
    Bull****. we've had worse weather. We had three years in a row of major storms in the 90s that flattened whole woods.
    Everyone just gone a bit soft in the head expecting the weather to be predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

catbear wrote: »
    Bull****. we've had worse weather. We had three years in a row of major storms in the 90s that flattened whole woods.
    Everyone just gone a bit soft in the head expecting the weather to be predictable.

Very true, there is more than enough proper scientific evidence of climate change. Claims like that only confuse the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yes, we do. But we also have to do something about daily global injustices; Or global poverty that is claiming the lives of 1000s EVERYDAY, including children who have known nothing but absolute pain, disease, starvation and degrading misery in their short, beautiful little lives :(. Maybe we should do something about global warfare too, that is destroying 100s of lives and peoples quality of life on a daily basis. Or maybe.. no, I'll stop, before lose my temper.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I think DellyBelly is winding ye up lads. Not hard to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

RobertKK wrote: »

Well that looks like a Father Ted weather report, I'm sure I seen them taking the roads in behind her. :)

So basically climate change is changing f*ck all, the west is wet and windy, just like most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

LaGlisse wrote: »
    ah for gods sake, most people swimming in Salthill know what they are at, ive gone swimming there in nsimilar winds, its as safe as a swimming spot gets.
    Although i can see how it seems dangerous to the bedwetters on this thread who are "very scared" at a little bit more wind then usual

well Teresa said don't swim in the sea, so there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Quiet at the moment. We had a day of outbreaks of mostly light rain and gusty winds. Gusts no more the 60kmh where I live near Limerick City. I don't know wether there is climate change happening or not. There was always bad weather well in the past and there be more bad weather in the future as well as good weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

RobertKK wrote: »

I think that clip will be going around long after Desmond has blown itself out.

If you could get copyright on this you will end up rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Hopefully people will educate themselves soon about this 'climate change'. It was a phenomena created by Maurice Strong, endorsed by the UN and popularized by Al Gore. Mainstream science has simply followed and agreed, much like the tailors in the Emperor's New Clothes. There is an awful lot of bad science around. Anyway these low pressure systems happen in spite of rather than because of, 'climate change'. Oh, and did the Ozone layer disappear yet? Though not. No one talks about that anymore .Anyway back on topic, 35.3 mm of rain in the last 24hrs. Pretty waterlogged out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Hopefully people will educate themselves soon about this 'climate change'. It was a phenomena created by Maurice Strong, endorsed by the UN and popularized by Al Gore. Mainstream science has simply followed and agreed, much like the tailors in the Emperor's New Clothes. There is an awful lot of bad science around. Anyway these low pressure systems happen in spite of rather than because of, 'climate change'. Oh, and did the Ozone layer disappear yet? Though not. No one talks about that anymore .Anyway back on topic, 35.3 mm of rain in the last 24hrs. Pretty waterlogged out there.

And remember... diesel is GOOD. Because the European automotive industry says so ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭waterways

Anyway back on topic, 35.3 mm of rain in the last 24hrs. Pretty waterlogged out there.

You are on the Strong Winds thread ....... :p:D

Advertisement