Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Best wishes to Richie. Hard to believe, with his list of honours, that he's only 30. If his body was up to it, he could've possibly played for another 5 years. He had all the skills. Even the 2 goals he got in first final in 2014..the vision and deft touch over Gleeson while the second one, he just delayed his shot a split second. Quality finishes on the biggest stage of all. His turn and catch in mid air in the replay wasn't bad either!!

Will he still be playing for Carrickshock?

Thanks for the memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Best wishes to Richie. Hard to believe, with his list of honours, that he's only 30. If his body was up to it, he could've possibly played for another 5 years. He had all the skills. Even the 2 goals he got in first final in 2014..the vision and deft touch over Gleeson while the second one, he just delayed his shot a split second. Quality finishes on the biggest stage of all. His turn and catch in mid air in the replay wasn't bad either!!

Will he still be playing for Carrickshock?

Thanks for the memories!!

He was on offtheball earlier in the week and he says he has 4-6 months of rehab after the latest operation on his knee. He hopes to get back playing with the club but it's gonna be the summer at the earliest before he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

What was the goal like Blackcard?

If it's the one I'm thinking of,he took it down on the hurl, and without catching it rounded Hickey and finished it.

Down into the O Loughlins end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

If it's the one I'm thinking of,he took it down on the hurl, and without catching it rounded Hickey and finished it.

That is the one I was thinking of, around 2010

Actually the one I was thinking of was at the town end. Richie and Noel contesting a high ball with their backs to the goal. Richie killed the ball with a deft touch off the top of his hurl, the ball dropped vertically, Richie swivelled 180 degrees and the ball dropped onto his hurl, he went on a solo and finished the ball to the net without handling the ball once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Bulldog 12

What's everyones view on the coming year regarding local hurling? I think senior is looking particularly promising. I can see the bridge being very difficult opponents for whoever they meet.

Anyone any hunches on the below for following year

Senior winners?
    Senior relegation?
    Intermediate winners?
    Intermediate relegation?
    Junior winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Bulldog 12 wrote: »
    What's everyones view on the coming year regarding local hurling? I think senior is looking particularly promising. I can see the bridge being very difficult opponents for whoever they meet.

Senior winners?
    Senior relegation?
    Intermediate winners?
    Intermediate relegation?
    Junior winners?

As always it will be very competitive in all grades.the bridge will be strong in the senior grade while clara, bhale and olg will be thereabouts.bragget, tullaron, cshock and glenmore would be my top four in that grade junior like every year will be a doggy dog . emeralds will hope to bounce back up but it's easier said than done some battled hardened teams down there who ever gets the bit of luck and momentum

Bulldog 12 wrote: »

Senior winners?
    Senior relegation?
    Intermediate winners?
    Intermediate relegation?
    Junior winners?

Ballyhale
    Martins
    Ballyragget
    Gowran
    Galmoy

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Apparently Ger Aylward suffered a serious-looking knee injury today for Glenmore.

Hopefully nothing too serious and it's a case of not as bad as first feared

Firstly congratulations to the two clubs on reaching the finals massive day for both clubs unfortunately for glenmore ger had to leave the play with a bad knee injury hopefully it's not the cruciate

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    Firstly congratulations to the two clubs on reaching the finals massive day for both clubs unfortunately for glenmore ger had to leave the play with a bad knee injury hopefully it's not the cruciate[/quot

Hope he's ok and it's not serious. Cruciate is the first thing you think of when you hear players going down with knee injuries. Even if it's not too serious, it'd be disappointing to miss out on club All Ireland Final day.

They'll play Coleraine from my of the world - 5 Mc Goldrick brothers on the team. Great achievement for them as football would be the priority with their club. I'm delighted for them. One of their sisters is was an All Star a few years ago.

Unfortunately it has being confirmed ger alyward will miss the year with a cruciate injury it's a big blow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Unfortunately it has being confirmed ger alyward will miss the year with a cruciate injury it's a big blow

Just looking in from the outside, that'll surely leave ye a bit tight on forwards now?

Power and Aylward, two guaranteed starters gone. Is Larkin staying on?

Obviously Reid and Hogan are top class and Fennelly very good aswell. But I'm not convinced that John Power, Wally Walsh, Mark Kelly etc are are at the same level as the guys they'll have to replace.

Though having said that, I'm sure ye'll still win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭big_drive

Be important to get someone like Michael Rice back into the half forward line given the injuries. His experience would be worth a lot, I'd feel he has one big year left in him

Ger was brillant last year and its a big blow no doubt.he got some crucial scores and his workrate was huge.Larkin has committed for another year but it definitely weakens our attack but injuries are part and parcel of the thing.we were fortunate last year to have mostly everyone available.the magic of coady is he unearths one or two players every year to fit in seamlessly.id expect kevin kelly/john power/chris bolger to fight it out for the corner forward position

big_drive wrote: »
    Be important to get someone like Michael Rice back into the half forward line given the injuries. His experience would be worth a lot, I'd feel he has one big year left in him

I think it's the likes of Kevin Kelly, Chris Bolger,Conor O'Shea, Liam Blanchfield, John Walsh are the type of guys we need to be looking at... Michael Rice's days as an inter county hurler are well and truly over!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think it's the likes of Kevin Kelly, Chris Bolger, Liam Blanchfield, John Walsh are the type of guys we need to be looking at... Michael Rice's days as an inter county hurler are well and truly over!

Is John Walsh back from injury yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think it's the likes of Kevin Kelly, Chris Bolger,Conor O'Shea, Liam Blanchfield, John Walsh are the type of guys we need to be looking at... Michael Rice's days as an inter county hurler are well and truly over!

Well I'm just speaking from an outside point of view as I'm in Cork. But Rice was always a player I'd a lot of time for and still think he would have something to offer!

John walsh will be back in a few months hopefully .Michael rice was a very good hurler but injuries the last could of years have made it very difficult.i was surprised to hear him committing for another year but his probably determined to get one final year injury free

big_drive wrote: »
    Well I'm just speaking from an outside point of view as I'm in Cork. But Rice was always a player I'd a lot of time for and still think he would have something to offer!

Considering the last competitive inter county match he played is almost 3 years ago(2013 League final) when he got absolutely cleaned out of it at midfield by Brendan Maher, he's just turned 32 and will be plying his club trade at Intermediate level this year, i would be very surprised if he is still on the panel come Championship time let alone anywhere near the starting 15.

• Advertisement

John walsh will be back in a few months hopefully .Michael rice was a very good hurler but injuries the last could of years have made it very difficult.i was surprised to hear him committing for another year but his probably determined to get one final year injury free

John Walsh is back hurling with DIT, came on as a sub in one of their Walsh Cup matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Just looking in from the outside, that'll surely leave ye a bit tight on forwards now?

Power and Aylward, two guaranteed starters gone. Is Larkin staying on?

Obviously Reid and Hogan are top class and Fennelly very good aswell. But I'm not convinced that John Power, Wally Walsh, Mark Kelly etc are are at the same level as the guys they'll have to replace.

Though having said that, I'm sure ye'll still win the All Ireland.
    Wally Walsh seems to do ok against Galway.

Add in Conor Martin and maybe JonJo Farrell and Mark Kelly. At least one and maybe more of these are going to have to step up to the mark. Kevin Kelly is a stylish hurler, the question is whether he can win his own ball. If he can, I think he would be the prime candidate. I think Chris Bolger is next in line. It might be a year too soon for John Walsh and Liam Blanchfield but I think the latter is worth a try in the league. JonJo Farrell is great to fight for the ball but can struggle to get scores and Mark Kelly hasn't taken his chances to date.

Ger was brillant last year and its a big blow no doubt.he got some crucial scores and his workrate was huge.Larkin has committed for another year but it definitely weakens our attack but injuries are part and parcel of the thing.we were fortunate last year to have mostly everyone available.the magic of coady is he unearths one or two players every year to fit in seamlessly.id expect kevin kelly/john power/chris bolger to fight it out for the corner forward position

Terrible news for Ger and Glenmore of course. Pity he'll miss out on the club's big day.
    I hope Kevin Kelly gets a good run.
    Will Mark Kelly be in the running this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Awful news about Ger, he'll be a big loss.

Terrible news for Ger and Glenmore of course. Pity he'll miss out on the club's big day.
    I hope Kevin Kelly gets a good run.
    Will Mark Kelly be in the running this year?

Mark kelly has being in the running for the last couple of years but hasn't taking his chance .Personally I'd like to see kevin kelly or bolger given a chance and I'm sure brian will look at all his options. This time last year most people wouldn't of expected ger to have the year he had and I'm sure whoever is given the jersey will work as hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Ger Alyward on the injury. Its actually crazy the amount of cruciate injuries in GAA. I say the percentage of this injury is far more compared to soccer and rugby. Something should really be done about it.

http://www.the42.ie/ger-aylward-kilkenny-cruciate-2569863-Jan2016/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Ger Alyward on the injury. Its actually crazy the amount of cruciate injuries in GAA. I say the percentage of this injury is far more compared to soccer and rugby. Something should really be done about it.

http://www.the42.ie/ger-aylward-kilkenny-cruciate-2569863-Jan2016/?utm_source=shortlink

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When people say "cruciate" do they mean ACL? OR do they also mean LCL, PCL and MCL as well? They are all ligaments in the knee but an ACL tear is much worse than the other two. You also have sprains which are not as bad as tears.

Cruciate seems to be a bit of a catch all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    When people say "cruciate" do they mean ACL? OR do they also mean LCL, PCL and MCL as well? They are all ligaments in the knee but an ACL tear is much worse than the other two. You also have sprains which are not as bad as tears.

Cruciate seems to be a bit of a catch all.

Well I presume it's a tear if he's out for that long. But excluding sprains, it does seem like tears to cruciate ligaments happen disproportionately in the GAA. I have a few suspicions on why, and most people seem to have their theories but there doesn't seem to be any consensus about it.

FWIW I think the fashion for blades instead of studs probably hasn't helped, turning straight off a jump to catch a ball has to be part of the problem. I'd also imagine players are over-trained, especially doing stuff that strains and weakens the cruciates. The professional training combined with amateur recovery, in other words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement