Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

According to one of the papers the reason he didn't get a chance up to now was there were fears he'd leave due to homesickness. How they arrived at that I don't know. Do they do they psychologically test them or is it just a gut feeling someone had after talking to him. I can understand it from an AFL club point of view if you put all that money into bringing lads out there and after a month or two they come home again like Ciaran Kilkenny and I'm sure others have done.

Not sure they do tests but as you say, a lot of money invested in a player to go home after 6 mths. It'd be hard to know at that age if a player will stay or go home.

Most of the lads come home after a few years e.g. Chris Mc Kaigue of Derry and they build their career in football. To be honest, not many Irish lads actually have a long career in Aussie Rules, Tagdh K from Kerry the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

Any team for tomorrow's game? It's expected some senior players will be available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

brookville wrote: »
    Any team for tomorrow's game? It's expected some senior players will be available

There is definitely seniors traveling and will play but I don't know who or how long they'll get on the pitch. I would say one or two in defence and forwards from the start to help guide the young lads who actually showed great fight on Wednesday night but just lacked that bit of experience to get goals or to calm the situation after conceding a goal. I'll be traveling anyway it should be an interesting exercise.

There is definitely seniors traveling and will play but I don't know who or how long they'll get on the pitch. I would say one or two in defence and forwards from the start to help guide the young lads who actually showed great fight on Wednesday night but just lacked that bit of experience to get goals or to calm the situation after conceding a goal. I'll be traveling anyway it should be an interesting exercise.

Big win is needed to get a place but highly highly unlikely. Good game to blend a few seniors in with a few U21's. Not long to the league now so things will be hotting up.

As an aside, good win for Glenmore today. Play Cork and Munster champions in a few weeks I think.

I agree with this just a few fringe players up the spine would be a help throw in the likes of kevin kelly and john power up front it would help a few of the younger players.Any word on richie power there's talk that he might be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I agree with this just a few fringe players up the spine would be a help throw in the likes of kevin kelly and john power up front it would help a few of the younger players.Any word on richie power there's talk that he might be back

From what I hear, he's going to give it a go. His last visit to the surgeon was positive and encouraging.

citykat wrote: »
    From what I hear, he's going to give it a go. His last visit to the surgeon was positive and encouraging.

That's good news. Hope all works out for him. He'll be a good asset around training and on match days.

Can John push on and get a regular spot this year?

The man has being cursed with injuries it would be a shame for him to retire at 30 granted he has a massive amount of hurling done.He was fantastic in 2014.John reminds me of richie when he first came on the scene loads of ability but to casual at times but I'm sure the very best will be got out of him and he'll become a regular starter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

John isn't a patch on Richie talent wise. Richie is as natural as they come. A bit flaky when he first started but in the last 3/4 years his mentality has changed massively and he looks bomb proof confidence wise in a Kilkenny jersey (when he actually makes it on to the field). If he wasn't made of wet paper he could've been even better.

While John is decent he's not in Richies league and unfortunately he has the same habit of getting injured the whole time which is stunting his development.

Unfortunately a full recovery is now very unlikely. As others have said before he owes us nothing and has had a great career only for the injuries it would definitely have been filled with even more personal highlights and achievements. If he retires soon which is what I've heard is likely then I wish him the best and hope the injuries don't cripple him for the rest of his days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

Brian Kennedy, Shane Prendergast, Lester Ryan and Jonjo Farrell are the senior players in the squad.

me89 wrote: »
    Brian Kennedy, Shane Prendergast, Lester Ryan and Jonjo Farrell are the senior players in the squad.

According to the match programme ten u21 and four senior panelists and malone being the newcomer he had a good club campaign last season.best of luck to offally in the semi final.good fight shown again today anyone at the game? Who played well?

me89 wrote: »

According to the match programme ten u21 and four senior panelists and malone being the newcomer he had a good club campaign last season.best of luck to offally in the semi final.good fight shown again today anyone at the game? Who played well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hard to say anyone played well as it was like playing hurling in a ploughed field, Lester Ryan was probably the best, Mark Kelly okay when he moved to midfield. Huge number of rucks and throw ins. Some bizarre refereeing. Couldn't complain about the result, Offaly were the better team and took their goals well.

Yeah went to the game the conditions were horrible loads of rain, cold and a strong breeze that along with a pitch which wasn't great (hardly Offalys fault given all the rain we've had) There were loads of changes from the programme, positionally and two complete changes that I can remember Ollie Walsh (Dicksboro) played with number 4 on but didn't start there played midfield/ wing forward. Mark Kelly played too with number 26 on his back.
    Starting team from my recollection
    1 Aaron Duggan (Dickboro)
    2 Conor Delaney (Erins Own) 6 Shane Prendergast (Clara) 7 Ciaran Wallace (Erins Own)
    5 Brian Kennedy (St Lactains) 8 Lester Ryan (Clara) 12 Pat Lyng (The Rower)
    4 Ollie Walsh (Dicksboro) 9 J Hayes
    10 Luke Scanlon (James Stephens) 11 Michael Malone (Mulinavat) 17 Michael Kenny (Lisdowney)
    13 Billy Ryan (Graigue Ballycallan) 14 Jonjo Farrell (Thomastown) 26 Mark Kelly (O' Loughlin Gaels)

I don't know if 9 Mullins was playing and I can't actually remember who did play instead.

1 Aaron Duggan 7 -did well and made a fabulous diving save for a free just outside the 21 which was going for the top corner. Wasn't to blame for the goals but perhaps could have come off his line earlier.

2 Conor Delaney 8 -a great an busy performance from Delaney got an a lot of ball and adapted to the conditions well.
    6 Shane Prendergast 6 -actually did ok for lots of the game but wasn't dominant like you would like the FB to be and made a terrible error at the end trying to clear a ball with 3 lads rushing him, they blocked him the ball was picked up and sprayed into the box and finished with a lovely bat into the net by the Offaly sub 19 James Gorman he's second goal.
    7 Ciaran Wallace 7 -did ok tried hard and wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

5 Brian Kennedy 6 -was very good at times but nearly drove me insane at stages. He kept trying to bat the ball back out as he was running to his own goal and the ball was passed over his head to his man running on. He tried this I would say 6 to 7 times in the game and it came off twice for him. It's great when it comes off but every other time he was left floundering as he's man sprinted on free.
    8 Lester Ryan 9 -he had a great game and covered a huge amount of ground and he always had a great connection with he's clearances
    12 Pat Lyng 8 -is small enough lad but was very tigerish and was impressive i liked the fight and hurling from him

4 Ollie Walsh 6 -wasn't dominant enough won some good possession and ran well with the ball but he's end product was often too slow
    J Hayes 4 -can't remember this player but obviously wasn't imposing himself on the game.

10 Luke Scanlon 6 -showed some good bits but didn't get stuck in enough and as a result lots of the game passed him by and he was taken off eventually
    11 Michael Malone 7 -played well and has plenty of hurling in him too he's a big lad not spectacular but really solid
    17 Michael Kenny 5 -wasn't anyway as good as he was against DIT very little came off for him.

13 Billy Ryan 8 -Played really well in the first half in particular, he was a bundle of energy showed good hands and great touches and got the goal while on the shoulder of Jonjo who was selfless
    14 Jonjo Farrell 8 -caused the FB trouble all day and could have had more scores than he got but a few shots were saved or balls got bogged down on him
    26 Mark Kelly 5 -was very disappointed in Kelly kept standing off when tackles needed to be made and also wouldn't stick his hand up for the high ball he wasn't alone there though I was something that you want with such a poor pitch is to catch the ball and not bat it down which Kilkenny did far too much. Kelly played midfield in the second half and he got on a bit more ball but didn't do enough with it 99% of the time.

Over all we were lucky to be only 2 points down after the first half Offaly had a huge amount of the play and were very wasteful with their shooting but the had the wind with them and it helped Kilkenny a good bit in the second half, Offaly actually went four points ahead in the second half and Kilkenny had clawed their way back into it with 5 mins to go at 1-9 to 1-9. The had a few chances to take the lead and the shots were short or wide and if they had of got one or two of them they probably would have seen it out. Offaly got a goal with about 5 mins to go which could easily have been a square ball but wasn't spotted it was a point attempt that was falling short against the breeze and the sub who was a big lad stuck up the paw and caught it (looked like he was in the square before the ball to me) either way he finished well and the defence should have been tougher on him. The second goal was scored in the 36 minute after the failed Prender clearance Offaly picked up the ball in the corner and a clever floated pass across the square was at the perfect height for the sub to bat it into the back of the net.

Some good performances but a few need a lot more hurling to geet up to the pace of it. Looking forward to the league now.

Yeah went to the game the conditions were horrible loads of rain, cold and a strong breeze that along with a pitch which wasn't great (hardly Offalys fault given all the rain we've had) There were loads of changes from the programme, positionally and two complete changes that I can remember Ollie Walsh (Dicksboro) played with number 4 on but didn't start there played midfield/ wing forward. Mark Kelly played too with number 26 on his back.
    Starting team from my recollection
    1 Aaron Duggan (Dickboro)
    2 Conor Delaney (Erins Own) 6 Shane Prendergast (Clara) 7 Ciaran Wallace (Erins Own)
    5 Brian Kennedy (St Lactains) 8 Lester Ryan (Clara) 12 Pat Lyng (The Rower)
    4 Ollie Walsh (Dicksboro) 9 J Hayes
    10 Luke Scanlon (James Stephens) 11 Michael Malone (Mulinavat) 17 Michael Kenny (Lisdowney)
    13 Billy Ryan (Graigue Ballycallan) 14 Jonjo Farrell (Thomastown) 26 Mark Kelly (O' Loughlin Gaels)

I don't know if 9 Mullins was playing and I can't actually remember who did play instead.

1 Aaron Duggan 7 -did well and made a fabulous diving save for a free just outside the 21 which was going for the top corner. Wasn't to blame for the goals but perhaps could have come off his line earlier.

2 Conor Delaney 8 -a great an busy performance from Delaney got an a lot of ball and adapted to the conditions well.
    6 Shane Prendergast 6 -actually did ok for lots of the game but wasn't dominant like you would like the FB to be and made a terrible error at the end trying to clear a ball with 3 lads rushing him, they blocked him the ball was picked up and sprayed into the box and finished with a lovely bat into the net by the Offaly sub 19 James Gorman he's second goal.
    7 Ciaran Wallace 7 -did ok tried hard and wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

5 Brian Kennedy 6 -was very good at times but nearly drove me insane at stages. He kept trying to bat the ball back out as he was running to his own goal and the ball was passed over his head to his man running on. He tried this I would say 6 to 7 times in the game and it came off twice for him. It's great when it comes off but every other time he was left floundering as he's man sprinted on free.
    8 Lester Ryan 9 -he had a great game and covered a huge amount of ground and he always had a great connection with he's clearances
    12 Pat Lyng 8 -is small enough lad but was very tigerish and was impressive i liked the fight and hurling from him

4 Ollie Walsh 6 -wasn't dominant enough won some good possession and ran well with the ball but he's end product was often too slow
    J Hayes 4 -can't remember this player but obviously wasn't imposing himself on the game.

10 Luke Scanlon 6 -showed some good bits but didn't get stuck in enough and as a result lots of the game passed him by and he was taken off eventually
    11 Michael Malone 7 -played well and has plenty of hurling in him too he's a big lad not spectacular but really solid
    17 Michael Kenny 5 -wasn't anyway as good as he was against DIT very little came off for him.

13 Billy Ryan 8 -Played really well in the first half in particular, he was a bundle of energy showed good hands and great touches and got the goal while on the shoulder of Jonjo who was selfless
    14 Jonjo Farrell 8 -caused the FB trouble all day and could have had more scores than he got but a few shots were saved or balls got bogged down on him
    26 Mark Kelly 5 -was very disappointed in Kelly kept standing off when tackles needed to be made and also wouldn't stick his hand up for the high ball he wasn't alone there though I was something that you want with such a poor pitch is to catch the ball and not bat it down which Kilkenny did far too much. Kelly played midfield in the second half and he got on a bit more ball but didn't do enough with it 99% of the time.

Over all we were lucky to be only 2 points down after the first half Offaly had a huge amount of the play and were very wasteful with their shooting but the had the wind with them and it helped Kilkenny a good bit in the second half, Offaly actually went four points ahead in the second half and Kilkenny had clawed their way back into it with 5 mins to go at 1-9 to 1-9. The had a few chances to take the lead and the shots were short or wide and if they had of got one or two of them they probably would have seen it out. Offaly got a goal with about 5 mins to go which could easily have been a square ball but wasn't spotted it was a point attempt that was falling short against the breeze and the sub who was a big lad stuck up the paw and caught it (looked like he was in the square before the ball to me) either way he finished well and the defence should have been tougher on him. The second goal was scored in the 36 minute after the failed Prender clearance Offaly picked up the ball in the corner and a clever floated pass across the square was at the perfect height for the sub to bat it into the back of the net.

Some good performances but a few need a lot more hurling to geet up to the pace of it. Looking forward to the league now.

Thanks for the detailed report.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Topcat32

For the National League, I assume of the non established players, Robert Lennon, Joe Lyng, Brian Kennedy, Donnacha Cody, Chris Bolger, Kevin Kelly, James Maher, Conor O Shea and Conor Martin will get a run at some stage along with Jonjoe Farrell and Matt Ruth which wont please some people.

Is there anybody else likely to get a run?. Id imagine some younger players will be brought on to the panel as the year goes on.

There's bout 7 u21 in with the seniors so hopefully some will get game time.it all depends who's in or who's going well.oillie walsh and michael malone played today so they must be in training with the seniors. I believe ciaran wallace and conor delaney played well I like delaney but his after getting a few roastings full back his much better corner or wing back I'd like evan cody full back for u21 with deegan or cleere at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Topcat32 wrote: »
    For the National League, I assume of the non established players, Robert Lennon, Joe Lyng, Brian Kennedy, Donnacha Cody, Chris Bolger, Kevin Kelly, James Maher, Conor O Shea and Conor Martin will get a run at some stage along with Jonjoe Farrell and Matt Ruth which wont please some people.

Is there anybody else likely to get a run?. Id imagine some younger players will be brought on to the panel as the year goes on.

Matt Ruth won't be getting any run. He is no longer on the panel.

• Advertisement

Was that by choice?i know he was injured. He tried hard but was out of his depth he was good for a poachers goal though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Matt Ruth won't be getting any run. He is no longer on the panel.

That won't go down well with the Cody/Village conspiracy theorists.:D

Topcat32 wrote: »

Well Lennon will be with the Bridge but I'd expect him to get a chance or two after that. Don't know if Joe Lyng, James Maher, Conor Martin or Ruth are on the panel? Donnacha Cody hasn't been near the senior team in years I assume ya mean the brother Diarmuid, don't know if he's there again either. I definitely expect K Kelly Jj Farrell C O'Shea and Chris Bolger to get chances in the League along with last chance saloon goes for M Kelly and B Kennedy. I think both players could make good county players but are so frustrating to watch, it'll take some stellar performances to dislodge any of last year's team.

I think kevin kelly and chris bolger are our two most promising forwards. I'm not convinced with lennon yet but he is devolving. Conor o shea is a lad I'd like to see tried in defence he us a cody type player.Its probably make or break for mark kelly and brian Kennedy, hopefully richie reid is giving some league time in goal

Sorry to hear about Richie Power retiring due to the knee. He has a great hurler with savage skill and touch and will be sorely missed. He's record of 2 college's AI 2 minors 2 U21s 8 senior AIs is not bad for a lad who is only 30. 2 All stars and 9 Leinster. I think one of his best performances in the black and amber was a game we lost but only for him I think we would have been completely destroyed in the 2010 AI. I wish him the best in his retirement and I hope the injuries don't hamper him too much in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭blackcard

Sorry to hear about Richie Power retiring due to the knee. He has a great hurler with savage skill and touch and will be sorely missed. He's record of 2 college's AI 2 minors 2 U21s 8 senior AIs is not bad for a lad who is only 30. 2 All stars and 9 Leinster. I think one of his best performances in the black and amber was a game we lost but only for him I think we would have been completely destroyed in the 2010 AI. I wish him the best in his retirement and I hope the injuries don't hamper him too much in his life.

Unbelievable to win 14 All Ireland's, had all the skills, scored the best goal I have ever seen during a training match being marked by Noel Hickey. Hope he enjoys his retirement, has been a great servant to Carrickshock and Kilkenny. Wouldn't have won the AI in 2014 without him. A selfless player who also showed great sportsmanship. He will be missed

Great player unbelievable skill and unfortunately for us he could of being better only for injury. It was no secret that he was very near calling time on his career a few months ago but I think we were all hoping there would be some miracle.We definitely owe him the 2014 win as he swung the semi final and was outstanding in the two finals thanks for all the great memories none of us probably know what he put his body through to wear the county jersey

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Should have been one of the best players in the history of the game. Just as good as Henry on his day in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

Congrats to Richie on a fantastic career. I always thought if he had managed to stay relatively injury free he would have went on to win a hurler of the year award.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Unbelievable to win 14 All Ireland's, had all the skills, scored the best goal I have ever seen during a training match being marked by Noel Hickey. Hope he enjoys his retirement, has been a great servant to Carrickshock and Kilkenny. Wouldn't have won the AI in 2014 without him. A selfless player who also showed great sportsmanship. He will be missed

What was the goal like Blackcard?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement