Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    Henry Shefflin 10
    Jackie Tyrrell. 9
    JJ. Delaney 9
    Tommy Walsh 8
    Noel Hickey 8
    Richie Power 8
    Michael Kavanagh 8
    Eoin Larkin 8
    Aidan Fogarty 7
    Am guessing at the above, I am sure I will be corrected

Apologies to Eddie Brennan with 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

blackcard wrote: »
    Henry Shefflin 10
    Jackie Tyrrell. 9
    JJ. Delaney 9
    Tommy Walsh 8
    Noel Hickey 8
    Richie Power 8
    Michael Kavanagh 8
    Eoin Larkin 8
    Aidan Fogarty 7
    Am guessing at the above, I am sure I will be corrected

From what I heard it was
    JJ
    Tommy
    B Hogan
    Taggy
    Herity
    PJ Ryan
    Jackie
    Larks

I actually haven't counted the AI up myself but it wouldn't be far off.

From what I heard it was
    JJ
    Tommy
    B Hogan
    Taggy
    Herity
    PJ Ryan
    Jackie
    Larks

I actually haven't counted the AI up myself but it wouldn't be far off.

Just looked it up and figured it out it was actually 62 AI medals not 70 doesn't detract too much from the story though it's still an incredible haul.
    JJ 9
    Tommy 9
    Jackie 9
    Taggy 8
    Larks 8
    B Hogan 7
    PJ Ryan 7
    Herity 5

The photo graphic evidence comes from

David Herity (@DavidHerity) tweeted at 0:53 am on Sun, Jan 03, 2016:
    Avengers assembled #GoodOldTimes @jjdel82 @taggykk @hogie81 @11larky @pjryan77 https://t.co/5mgGzSRIfT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Just looked it up and figured it out it was actually 62 AI medals not 70 doesn't detract too much from the story though it's still an incredible haul.
    JJ 9
    Tommy 9
    Jackie 9
    Taggy 8
    Larks 8
    B Hogan 7
    PJ Ryan 7
    Herity 5

The photo graphic evidence comes from

David Herity (@DavidHerity) tweeted at 0:53 am on Sun, Jan 03, 2016:
    Avengers assembled #GoodOldTimes @jjdel82 @taggykk @hogie81 @11larky @pjryan77 https://t.co/5mgGzSRIfT

Is Larks awol? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Should this not just be called the Kilkenny hurling thread? very little reference to Kilkenny football on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Club football league starting in a few weeks. Expect this place will be a hotbed of football talk then...but for now we'll stick with the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

dixiefly wrote: »
    Should this not just be called the Kilkenny hurling thread? very little reference to Kilkenny football on here.

Nothing stopping you discussing it here yourself of course. I mean, I assume you're an enthusiast on the subject?

Nothing stopping you discussing it here yourself of course. I mean, I assume you're an enthusiast on the subject?

Not from kk, otherwise I certainly would.

Not from kk, otherwise I certainly would.

So why do you care?

So why do you care?

I don't really care, just pointing out that it should be renamed the Kilkenny Hurling thread because football is never discussed. In fact Kilkenny should do a general replacement of the word GAA with Hurling as football gets no support. I dont really blame the average punter / supporter - it probably comes back to a prioritisation of hurling over the years. That's why, while I really respect the achievements of a great team in recent years it is tempered by the fact that ye guys focus on one code and that only. The Tipperary's, Corks and Galways of this world are competitive at hurling while maintaining a good football team.

I think if I was from KK it would concern me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I don't really care, just pointing out that it should be renamed the Kilkenny Hurling thread because football is never discussed. In fact Kilkenny should do a general replacement of the word GAA with Hurling as football gets no support. I dont really blame the average punter / supporter - it probably comes back to a prioritisation of hurling over the years. That's why, while I really respect the achievements of a great team in recent years it is tempered by the fact that ye guys focus on one code and that only. The Tipperary's, Corks and Galways of this world are competitive at hurling while maintaining a good football team.

Lol you just compared Kilkenny to 3 of the biggest counties in Ireland.

TBH if you were from KK I'd doubt it would concern you.

Hope you're as bothered about the way hurling is treated by 20 odd other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Jaysus not this shi*e again :rolleyes:

I'm from Tipp myself and have no time for football to be perfectly honest and I don't understand why it bothers anyone outside KK that they don't really care about football, that is their prerogative and as they say the ends justify the means. If you are so concerned about the inaccuracy of the thread title I assume you will be making the same observations in every other counties thread, because I haven't seen any discussion on Handball in any of them??

And on the other side, why do KK people get so defensive on the subject, you have nothing to prove to anyone just laugh it off as the nonsense it is.

You're not from kk though, so you needn't let it concern you. Best of luck to Meath in the championship this year.

Whichever one. I know how serious ye are about them both.

I don't really care.

That's good to know. Moving on...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I hope you are writing in on the other county forums their lack of effort in promoting hurling? if not, your point is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

If you listen carefully enough, I think you can actually hear the worlds smallest violin playing.

I hope you are writing in on the other county forums their lack of effort in promoting hurling? if not, your point is invalid.

The difference is that in other counties, they at least try to compete in hurling.

My own county (Meath) the breakdown in the threads here would be approx 70% football, 30% hurling. Not exactly equivalent but at least there is some effort to promote and discuss the game.

The only mention of football on this thread / forum is by me:) Just sayin.

randd1 wrote: »
    If you listen carefully enough, I think you can actually hear the worlds smallest violin playing.

Maybe instead of listening to your violin you could then identify where Kilkenny are in this championship.....I even see London and New Your but cant see KK. I hope I am wrong and invite you to point them out.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Maybe instead of listening to your violin you could then identify where Kilkenny are in this championship.....I even see London and New Your but cant see KK. I hope I am wrong and invite you to point them out.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

http://kilkennygaa.ie/news/index/tag/Kilkenny%20football

Here ya go. Kilkenny football news for the last year. British Junior Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Sure we were dancing in the streets when we won the british junior championship last year. We nearly crashed Boards with all the posts.
    I hope you don't lose too much sleep over the imbalance. We'll do our best to mention big balls in all future posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

gobo99 wrote: »
    Sure we were dancing in the streets when we won the british junior championship last year. We nearly crashed Boards with all the posts.
    I hope you don't lose too much sleep over the imbalance. We'll do our best to mention big balls in all future posts.

Highlight of last years GAA season for us.

kksaints wrote: »
    http://kilkennygaa.ie/news/index/tag/Kilkenny%20football

Here ya go. Kilkenny football news for the last year. British Junior Champions.

Well fair play to ya:)

Best of luck in 2016 in whatever competition they are in.

Any word on how things are shaping up in the camp this past few weeks?

Any word on how things are shaping up in the camp this past few weeks?

Sorry cornerback in future you're going to have to clarify whether you mean the football or the hurling, now that we are all expected to reserve 30% of our interest for the other sport.

Sorry cornerback in future you're going to have to clarify whether you mean the football or the hurling, now that we are all expected to reserve 30% of our interest for the other sport.

Have we not reached our quota yet????:)

Have we not reached our quota yet????:)

I dunno if these count. But I'm counting my American football posts.

Has there been a panel sounded for the Walsh cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

I dunno if these count. But I'm counting my American football posts.

Has there been a panel sounded for the Walsh cup?

Afaik it's mostly u21 that will be on view next week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Damn quotas.

I know this is over with and I shouldn't rise to the bait but I had it half written earlier and I'm just gonna post it anyway.

I can categorical tell you that if you were from Kilkenny and grew up here it wouldn't bother you in the slightest.

We play the football now to get it out of the way and clear the decks for the hurling most of our hurlers play football too just not at intercounty level. There's only a few clubs/parishes out of the 40 odd we have, that focus solely on one or the other most clubs play both games.

To be honest it's all a matter of numbers. You compare Kilkenny to Cork Galway and Tipp. All of which have vastly larger populations and playing numbers than Kilkenny. If you look at population sizes compared to AI success which I have by the way, you will see to be competitive in either code be it hurling or football you need at least 150 thousand people in the county. Using 2011 census data you would have a male population of 19 to 34 years olds of 19,500 the vast majority of whom obviously won't be playing GAA but you have a bigger pool to find your lads in. As of 2011 Cork has 67,300, Tipp has 20,600, Galway has 32,570 to pick from while Kilkenny has just 12,400 men in that age range to pick from. To compete properly in both Hurling and football at the highest level and to be an AI contender most years you would need at least a population of approx 300,000 or 39,000 lads in that age bracket. The fact Kilkenny has been so successful at one grade is actually an enormous achievement and to be honest if other small counties were smart they'd focus on one code completely or merge with other counties to have a viable population base to be a consistent contender. I know this will not happen but it's a problem basing the game on the county structure leaves us with.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't care if we had a population of four million, there's still no obligation on anyone to play a sport they aren't interested in, no matter how many random people would like to force them too for reasons best known to themselves. Football is ****e, I'd rather have a boil on my arse than play it. So...why should I or anyone else feel obligated to feign an interest?

Unless it's just the thread title that bothers dixiefly? Are there other thread titles on boards he finds similarly misleading? Has he contracted the relevant people about those thread titles? What was the result? Was his life happier once the title was changed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement