Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

• 25-11-2015 12:09pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Continued from here.
    Previous thread has reached 10,000 posts.

Mod Note:
    Welcome to the Kilkenny GAA Discussion thread.
    This is quite an active thread and as a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

- Personal abuse of anyone be they other posters, players, managers, referees, pundits etc. Any personal abuse will result in an infraction or a ban.

- Rumours about players'/managers'/anyone's personal lives. This should be self explanatory. Apart from being a dickish thing to do, it can lead to legal trouble for Boards.

- Trolling. Again, self explanatory. Trolls will be banned for a long time.

- Accusations of trolling. Report a post if you suspect it to be trolling. Do not call a troll out on thread as this will be considered back seat modding.

- Speculation into the identity of another poster. This is a site-bannable offence.

This list is not exhaustive. Either myself or another mod may add to this as we see fit. Just because a certain behaviour isn't listed, doesn't mean you can't be banned for it.
    The general Boards.ie rule of Don't be a Dick always applies.

If you feel a post breaks the rules, simply click this report.gif underneath the post in question to report the post and a mod will deal with it as they see fit.

So be civil to each other and happy posting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jaysus Hammer Archer you've really laid out the ground rules early on! :pac: :D

I'm looking forward to some great discussion and of course to the continued success for our inter-county teams :)

getmediafile.ashx?guid=d8acee43-9f74-407f-9f45-462703838842&maxsidesize=700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Michael Fennelly chatting about his biggest rivals and diet. Also congratulations to DJ Carey and all the Kilkenny lads involved with the Carlow IT team who beat UCC the other night.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/michael-fennelly-pays-tribute-to-retiring-tipperary-rivals-367168.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jaysus Hammer Archer you've really laid out the ground rules early on! :pac: :D
    Well seeing as Waterford have pretty much the exact same OP, ye would feel left out if ye didn't have it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well seeing as Waterford have pretty much the exact same OP, ye would feel left out if ye didn't have it :pac:

Normally it's Waterford looking for what Kilkenny have, not the other way round.

Well done to the 'Bridge for winning the Leinster IHC today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

If Glenmore win next week, then Kilkenny clubs are on course to add another 2 AI club titles to the coffers.

As it stands it's 14 from 33 across all three grades since 2005 if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

randd1 wrote: »
    If Glenmore win next week, then Kilkenny clubs are on course to add another 2 AI club titles to the coffers.

As it stands it's 14 from 33 across all three grades since 2005 if I recall correctly.

When you study that, it's some achievement for one county. I thought Clara could have added to it also but not to be. Glenmore will be strong next year and so will B'brige.

Anybody know are the senior lads in training yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭brookville

When you study that, it's some achievement for one county. I thought Clara could have added to it also but not to be. Glenmore will be strong next year and so will B'brige.

Anybody know are the senior lads in training yet?
    I've heard that that a fitness test was done recently but hadn't heard who was called in but I'm sure there's a group formed for the walsh cup in mid janurary. Well done to the bridge today btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭blackcard

I understand that Robert Lennon got an extremely harsh red card so presumably will miss their next game

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Normally it's Waterford looking for what Kilkenny have, not the other way round.
    Kilkenny people don't mind looking for jobs in Waterford. So I guess you could say Kilkenny people don't mind looking for what Waterford people have. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

culbaire wrote: »
    Kilkenny people don't mind looking for jobs in Waterford. So I guess you could say Kilkenny people don't mind looking for what Waterford people have. ;)

Someone in Waterford has to do a bit of work. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Hearing Richie Power seriously considering retirement knee problems taking serious toll, few Shocks folk saying he might only hurl on goal for them next year, hopefully not true, he only turns 30 this week..

Cha Fitz apparently retired from club hurling aswell at the tender age of 30, I guess he has won it all, a few times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

robwen wrote: »
    Hearing Richie Power seriously considering retirement knee problems taking serious toll, few Shocks folk saying he might only hurl on goal for them next year, hopefully not true, he only turns 30 this week..

Cha Fitz apparently retired from club hurling aswell at the tender age of 30, I guess he has won it all, a few times!!

Jaysus! I can't believe the demise of Cha! I know the intercounty game changed drastically during his era but he was such an immense talent, hard to believe he could be finished playing altogether now. I used to love watching him play, had such an effortless style about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭brookville

Unfortunately richie is expected to announce his retirement any day it's a real shame his forced to retire.i think we owe alot of last year's success to richie he was brilliant against tipp in the two all irelands and definitely swung the semi final which was slipping
    he trained very little this year but to come on and contribute it will be a great way to sign off he certainly owes his county nothing

A couple of big games this Saturday (tomorrow). Best of luck to Glenmore and St. Kieran's.

AIB Leinster Club Junior HC Final:

Glenmore vs Lusmagh (2pm O'Connor Park, Tullamore)

Masita GAA All Ireland Post Primary Schools Niall McInerney Cup (Junior):
    St. Kieran's College vs Presentation College Athenry (1.30pm UL Grounds, Limerick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

brookville wrote: »
    Unfortunately richie is expected to announce his retirement any day it's a real shame his forced to retire.i think we owe alot of last year's success to richie he was brilliant against tipp in the two all irelands and definitely swung the semi final which was slipping
    he trained very little this year but to come on and contribute it will be a great way to sign off he certainly owes his county nothing

Class act all right, I remember the first time I seen him was when my own club played Carrickshock in the first Intermediate club AI and even though he was only 18/19 at the time and it was a team full of household names he still stood out as the real deal, even at that age he was the go to man in the forwards that day. Will definitely be a loss to KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Nice to see Conor Fogarty captaining Leinster in the Inter-Provincials this weekend, one of the most underrated hurlers in the country!

However judging by how the weather is in Galway at the moment and what is forecast to come there must be a major doubt about the games going ahead!!

Anybody have a copy of the D.J. Cary DVD? I'd be willing to buy it.

If Cha was still playing with county now at 30ish, how many All Ireland would he have had at this stage?

Nice to see Conor Fogarty captaining Leinster in the Inter-Provincials this weekend, one of the most underrated hurlers in the country!

However judging by how the weather is in Galway at the moment and what is forecast to come there must be a major doubt about the games going ahead!!

Yes, west coast to take a serious battering. Rain, not wind, is the biggest factor this week-end i think. These inter pros are just threw in a free week-end. Personally, i think they deserve a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »

One of my favourite KK players of all time, great man to catch a ball, good off left and right, fast, terrific workrate and vision, unselfish and played the game in a sporting manner. His three goals in the 2014 AI's were a testament to his skills. Time to look after his own body now. Thanks for the memories, Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

A couple of big games this Saturday (tomorrow). Best of luck to Glenmore and St. Kieran's.

AIB Leinster Club Junior HC Final:

Glenmore vs Lusmagh (2pm O'Connor Park, Tullamore)

Masita GAA All Ireland Post Primary Schools Niall McInerney Cup (Junior):
    St. Kieran's College vs Presentation College Athenry (1.30pm UL Grounds, Limerick)

Looks like the weather is having an impact.

Glenmore match moved to Lusmagh, same time, with a pitch inspection.

Kierans match has been postponed to Wed @ 11:00! :eek:

Yes, west coast to take a serious battering. Rain, not wind, is the biggest factor this week-end i think. These inter pros are just threw in a free week-end. Personally, i think they deserve a lot better.

The weather here in Salthill is horrific at the moment.

Absolutely, they are doing there best to kill it off! Despite the fact that the players seem to make themselves available for it as three of our All-Stars are doing this weekend!

danganabu wrote: »
    Class act all right, I remember the first time I seen him was when my own club played Carrickshock in the first Intermediate club AI and even though he was only 18/19 at the time and it was a team full of household names he still stood out as the real deal, even at that age he was the go to man in the forwards that day. Will definitely be a loss to KK.

Yeah, worked with a guy who was given the thankless task of trying to mark him in the '04 schools All-Ireland, he said even then it was like an Inter county hurler playing against school boys!

Eventually the management felt sorry for him and moved him.... onto Richie Hogan!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Very good interview in the examiner with Shane Mcgrath, mentioned Kilkenny a good bit. I didn't know some of the tipp lads were at the funerals of Lesters father and Jackies cousin. Nice touch out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

If Cha was still playing with county now at 30ish, how many All Ireland would he have had at this stage?

Cha has 5 AI medals 3 as a starter in 2006, 07 & 08, a sub in 2009 & 11.
    If he was still on the panel he would have 7- 2012 & 14.
    Cha has fallen in love with golf and very much out of love with hurling from what I've heard. He's not interested in doing the training and I doubt he expects to play when he's not training. As far as I know he still lives in Dublin and when he's not that bothered, an hour and half to training and back is obviously not worth it for him when he would prefer to spend that time golfing. Apparently a serious golfer but you wouldn't expect anything else. A big loss to hurling but there is no point trying to continue if he's not commited to it anymore. I admire him for making that decision while I'm sad I won't get a chance to see him any time I catch a Ballyhale game.

Cha has fallen in love with golf and very much out of love with hurling from what I've heard. He's not interested in doing the training and I doubt he expects to play when he's not training. As far as I know he still lives in Dublin and when he's not that bothered, an hour and half to training and back is obviously not worth it for him when he would prefer to spend that time golfing. Apparently a serious golfer but you wouldn't expect anything else. A big loss to hurling but there is no point trying to continue if he's not commited to it anymore. I admire him for making that decision while I'm sad I won't get a chance to see him any time I catch a Ballyhale game.

I think Cha realised the game was passing him by when he quit the county panel. His lack of pace combined with his lack of physicality wasn't what Cody was looking for when Tipp up the intensity around '09/'10. And also his lifestyle wasn't conducive to modern day inter county hurling.

Does he not even play for Ballyhale these days? I thought he'd still play club hurling. Such a talented hurler but as you said, couldn't commit. If you include his All Ireland's medals etc. with the Shamrocks, he must has some collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Anybody have a copy of the D.J. Cary DVD? I'd be willing to buy it.

Pm your name and address. I have it if it still works I will post it on. Don't rem it been brilliant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement