Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

I would think Cody will go with a very strong team, think Shane Pender might start as he is captain and I would imagine the likes of Jonjo Farrell and Mark Kelly are ahead of Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger in Codys mind at least. Hopefully he does a bit of experimenting with new faces anyway, assume the team will be announced tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil. v Wat.
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden S Prendergast
    P Walsh K Joyce D Cody
    C Buckley C Fogarty
    W Walsh R Hogan TJ Reid
    JJ Farrell C Fennelly M Kelly
    Subs
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    B Kennedy
    C oShea
    R Lennon
    L Ryan
    M Malone
    C Martin
    J Maher
    K Kelly
    J Power

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

I would think Cody will go with a very strong team, think Shane Pender might start as he is captain and I would imagine the likes of Jonjo Farrell and Mark Kelly are ahead of Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger in Codys mind at least. Hopefully he does a bit of experimenting with new faces anyway, assume the team will be announced tonight

That's pretty accurate prediction. Starting strong. Hoping to get points on the board and maybe some new blood in later

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Think young Cody is serving a different apprenticeship then all the other young lads in there. Surely brian kennedy is more experienced for a place in the half back line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I think Jonjo Farrell and Mark Kelly are pretty pointless starters. Previous seasons have shown that neither will be fixtures come the Championship. Surely its time to give other people a chance to try and prove themselves at this level lke Kevin Kelly, Bolger, even Conor Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭blackcard

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I think Jonjo Farrell and Mark Kelly are pretty pointless starters. Previous seasons have shown that neither will be fixtures come the Championship. Surely its time to give other people a chance to try and prove themselves at this level lke Kevin Kelly, Bolger, even Conor Martin

Kevin Kelly doesn't seem to have done very well in the Fitzgibbon. I would say that Cody is picking players that he considers are the form players at this moment in time

blackcard wrote: »
    Kevin Kelly doesn't seem to have done very well in the Fitzgibbon. I would say that Cody is picking players that he considers are the form players at this moment in time

Yeh but Codys not going to use them come the summer I can almost guarantee that. Farrell is the same every year, plays a few games early on and then isnt seen for the rest of the season so is Mark Kelly.

My point is its time for someone new to get a chance when the last few seasons have shown that these lads are never going to be options at the business end of the season. Sure look if Kevin Kelly screws up then fine but were never really going to know for sure unless these other lads are given a chance. No point in having them there otherwise

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Yeh but Codys not going to use them come the summer I can almost guarantee that. Farrell is the same every year, plays a few games early on and then isnt seen for the rest of the season so is Mark Kelly.

My point is its time for someone new to get a chance when the last few seasons have shown that these lads are never going to be options at the business end of the season. Sure look if Kevin Kelly screws up then fine but were never really going to know for sure unless these other lads are given a chance. No point in having them there otherwise

On the one hand, I agree with you in that Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger have more potential. On the other hand, if they are being picked on reputation, it is sending out the message to all other players that what you do in training isn't important. I am sure that the likes of Tj Reid and Richie Hogan were frustrated down the years at not being first choice. Thankfully, both of these worked on ways to improve themselves, to learn how to win their own ball and to tackle more effectively. I think this is what separated KK from the chasing pack since 2010. Hopefully in a few years time we will be extolling the virtues of the all round games of Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger.

On the one hand, I agree with you in that Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger have more potential. On the other hand, if they are being picked on reputation, it is sending out the message to all other players that what you do in training isn't important. I am sure that the likes of Tj Reid and Richie Hogan were frustrated down the years at not being first choice. Thankfully, both of these worked on ways to improve themselves, to learn how to win their own ball and to tackle more effectively. I think this is what separated KK from the chasing pack since 2010. Hopefully in a few years time we will be extolling the virtues of the all round games of Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger.

Hopefully we will , BUT! At the moment it's not being based on training because they are not playing matches, they are doing mostly physical work. Young Cody is getting unfair chances, Lester Ryan and Brian kennedy to mention just two are at nothing! Never going to make starting 15 in a proper match, putting their lives on hold to play maybe 2 matches a year. What a waste of time. Training like that just to make up numbers in training.

Kevin Kelly will need to seriously up his workrate to be in the running to start on Codys team, lovely hurler but hust doesnt mix it enough for Cody in my opinion, havent seen enough of bolger as of yet. Brian kennedy needs something to happen for him this year, saw him for club last year and you wouldnt pick him out as county. Cody requires a lot more than a stickman, walter and jonjo farrell wouldn't get a look in with most managers due to there style of striking but the great man sees something in them, forwards seem quite bare so we will definitely need a suprise package to appear

• Advertisement

Kevin Kelly will need to seriously up his workrate to be in the running to start on Codys team, lovely hurler but hust doesnt mix it enough for Cody in my opinion, havent seen enough of bolger as of yet. Brian kennedy needs something to happen for him this year, saw him for club last year and you wouldnt pick him out as county. Cody requires a lot more than a stickman, walter and jonjo farrell wouldn't get a look in with most managers due to there style of striking but the great man sees something in them, forwards seem quite bare so we will definitely need a suprise package to appear
    He might need to up the work rate a bit alright but give him a fair crack at it! He played 1 match last year scored 1-09 won motm and was never seen again! As for brian kennedy have you seen young Cody play and star for his club? If Cody wins motm on Sunday you can be sure he will get another crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Charlie69

kk1970 wrote: »
    He might need to up the work rate a bit alright but give him a fair crack at it! He played 1 match last year scored 1-09 won motm and was never seen again! As for brian kennedy have you seen young Cody play and star for his club? If Cody wins motm on Sunday you can be sure he will get another crack.
    Thought Kevin should have seen more game time last year also, and hopefully we will see him make the breakthrough this year with a few good performances in the league. Is he playing Fitzgibbon on Monday or tue though ??

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Thought Kevin should have seen more game time last year also, and hopefully we will see him make the breakthrough this year with a few good performances in the league. Is he playing Fitzgibbon on Monday or tue though ??

There is 7 or eight of them playing on tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

I think everyone is suprised with the team selection but it's such a competitive competition it's obvious they want to get some early points on the board and not have a repeat of last year.most teams in this division are fielding 8/9 regulars I think us as supporters would of liked to have seen some new faces but it's very early and I'm sure there'll be squad rotation throughout the league . Waterford have also named their strongest team available so hopefully it will be a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
    I think everyone is suprised with the team selection but it's such a competitive competition it's obvious they want to get some early points on the board and not have a repeat of last year.most teams in this division are fielding 8/9 regulars I think us as supporters would of liked to have seen some new faces but it's very early and I'm sure there'll be squad rotation throughout the league . Waterford have also named their strongest team available so hopefully it will be a good game

I agree but every game is important and when do you get a chance to chance the selection?

Is Bolger not on the bench?

Waterford will want a strong start at home and in the first match. Who will come on and make the difference up front? Buckley can play half back, midfield or half forward but will probably be a 6 in a few years.

Hard to know what goes on at training early in the year. A lot of lads should be sharp enough with the Fitzgibbon running at the same time so they should be sharp enough.

We'll see tomorrow!!

kk1970 wrote: »

Yes I agree some players have their flaws but were not going to know whether their going to make it unless their given a chance. Some players such as farrell and mark kelly are given more chances than others and its obviously its not going on training as both quickly disappear off the scene and arent considered as options come the summer when the real hurling starts. That if you ask me is a complete waste of time so others should be given a chance whether they have more potential or not. Id like to see all those new faces on the subs bench given a shot at some stage and at different intervals( obviously not all at once cos thats a gamble) but we wont know whether their up to it or not unless their given the chance. As you said kevin kelly played excellent in the only game he got last year and wasnt seen after which was pretty strange. Using him as an example he should at least be given another chance to see if that was a fluke or not and whether hes really up to it or not. Just using that as an example. Not sure about Brian Kenedy though, id sort of put him in the same boat as farrell and mark kelly. But if theres not too many more defensive options id give him a shot at some stage but we need to unearth forward options so playing farrell and mark kelly the whole time is pointless in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Very dissapointing performance today to state the obvious. Waterford looked far sharper all through the match and finished the game far stronger from a fitness point of view. Waterford must be at least a month further along with their training and had a good few lads playing Fitzgibbon which probably had a big bearing on the result. Mark Kelly and Jonjoe Farrell will be struggleing to stay on the panel based on today. Strength in depth in the forwards is a bit of a worry at this stage.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Very dissapointing performance today to state the obvious. Waterford looked far sharper all through the match and finished the game far stronger from a fitness point of view. Waterford must be at least a month further along with their training and had a good few lads playing Fitzgibbon which probably had a big bearing on the result. Mark Kelly and Jonjoe Farrell will be struggleing to stay on the panel based on today. Strength in depth in the forwards is a bit of a worry at this stage.

I think kk will struggle against Tipp as well. Well off the pace today and Waterford were ten points the better team. Forwards a worry

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I think kk will struggle against Tipp as well. Well off the pace today and Waterford were ten points the better team. Forwards a worry

I think Tipp will be favourites but the style of the match will likely suit Kilkenny more. Playing against Waterfords 7 man defensive style on a pitch like todays with virtually no hurling done for 3 months was always going to be a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'm a Waterford fan but i wouldn't be to worried if i was KK, What was clear was the difference in fitness levels between the two sides today, Once KK get back up to the pace of things there should be a marked improvement, Was it last year you almost got relegated or the year before? Look what happened then come championship time, For me Dublin and Cork are the clear favorites for relegation KK will certainly be in the QF's, once your there that's all that will matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Thought Padraig Walsh was the best on the field for KK today. Poor game overall, no doubt affected by a shockingly bad pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Wouldn't be worried at all as a Kilkenny fan. Thought that our intensity was half of what Waterford had which is down to fitness levels. Waterford were clearly sharper fitness wise.

Waterford were excellent today yet only won by four points. I thought young cody was the standout performer for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

disappointing day.. thought field was shocking and ball couldnt move. not sure if a ball rolled out of play all day. great work out for our back 7 who coped well. richie couldnt get moving and there was some strange ref calls. i thought we lost most of the rucks and mauls. might ne worth trying padraid walsh in midfield

on a side note. whats with all the green helmets in defence. the commentator gave paul murphy credit for every catch but i think it was well shared out. joyce was in good shape and decent start for cody. definitely not conditions for mark kelly and colin fenn. i think we got 2 shots on goal all day

Both sets of backs were very good I thought cody hurled well for his first day out,ya wouldn't put cows out in that field.Waterford were fully deserving of the victory but that game will bring us on.i would have a slight concern bout our fowards if one one or two were to get injured we would be in trouble.Next weekends match should be more open.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

JonJo Farrell & Mark Kelly have been given many chances for ye at this stage and keep failing to deliver. Hard to understand. I would think their chances are almost up. Walter Walsh would not make most county teams either - very unskilled but I suppose he serves one of Cody's needs.

I was very impressed with Joey Holden though, starting to look like the real deal.

John joe and kelly very poor today but they weren't alone, colin and walter also very poor.It was impossible to find any space so credit to waterford.john joe and kelly are usually good league hurlers but it was impossible to find space today.i thought joey was excellent along with his other defenders today but tipp will bring a much stiffer test next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Just back in house at 9:30pm after 4hrs in car. Firstly, as alluded to, pitch was very poor. At times, itwas more like rugby. Our fowards with the exception of T.J. were poor. W'ford should have been 6 or 7pts up at half time. In first half, ball into our forwards always came back out. It's early days yet as we looked off pace - other teams 1mth ahead in terms of fitness etc.

One point, Padraig was pushed up into forwards in 2nd half. Is that asign the forwards on the bench aren't up to it or was Padraig the spareman and just pushed up on their spare man?

It really was a day for backs due to the conditions, watched highlights of other games last night and the ball was bouncing and rolling where as in Walsh Park it was plugging causing rucks. Waterfords handpassing game meant most passes were going to hand whereas when we moved the ball if it hit the ground attacks just broke down.

Thought all forwards struggled, like others thought Joey was excellent, he is an extremely tight marker and maintains contact with the man at all times making it hard for his man to win the ball even if Joey doesn't win it himself.

Waterford seemed well ahead in preparation but every week is different in the league and training levels depend on what is in the legs for the players. Thought it was strange that Austin Gleeson got man of the match, was on mountains of ball but he is a very wasteful player, long pointless solo runs and pot shots. He has all the ability and skill but very frustrating to watch, should model himself of Tony Kelly (although different positions, I mean when in possession of the ball) from Clare who is similar type of player but more effective.

All that said Waterford were the better team by far and should have won pulling up if they had taken Maurice of the frees earlier after all the skyscraper frees on a windy day. Waterford will be hard team to beat in the league but the hardening of the ground and better fitness will bring us on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I was out of the country for the game and haven't got a chance to see the recording yet but the score or performance doesn't surprise me too much if the pitch was that bad. I met two of the hurlers the week before last and they looked shattered and said they were as well. They're obviously getting plenty of hard slog one of them told me his legs were just dead he was wore out completely.

Still no excuse by the sounds of it Waterford could have won by a cricket score if they could have hit the target. A question on Waterford's wides, were many of the attempts from beyond 50yards (from play) or beyond 65 (from frees)?

• Advertisement

Maurice missed a few frees from around 70/80 yards and they had 11 wides in total during first half, most were hail marys, they had 7 wides in second half. Austin Gleeson had 6 wides alone, mostly pot shots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement