Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭brookville

Personally I wouldn't play jackie or michael rice during the walsh cup.its a great opportunity for some of the young lads to make the league panel.id like to see some of the more experienced lads like lester, mark kelly,and brian kennedy mixed with the younger lads.ciaran delaney, evan coady and paddy deegan are three good defender's, luke scanlon has the potential to be a great player, james maher and chris bolger are good fowards. I'd like to see conor o shea get some game time in defence while I'd expect jason cleere and liam blanchfield to be involved once the bridge are finished.john walsh is putting in a huge effort to regain fitness and should be available next year for the u21s

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't play jackie or michael rice during the walsh cup.its a great opportunity for some of the young lads to make the league panel.id like to see some of the more experienced lads like lester, mark kelly,and brian kennedy mixed with the younger lads.ciaran delaney, evan coady and paddy deegan are three good defender's, luke scanlon has the potential to be a great player, james maher and chris bolger are good fowards. I'd like to see conor o shea get some game time in defence while I'd expect jason cleere and liam blanchfield to be involved once the bridge are finished.john walsh is putting in a huge effort to regain fitness and should be available next year for the u21s

Did Jackie get any game time with the Village late this year?

No he missed the first round against ballyhale his last competitive match was the leinster final but I don't think he has anything to prove mick dempsey will have him spot on for next summer and if his up to it all well and good and if his not as was proven this year he will be a great man to have around the squad, michael rice is also a great guy for the younger players to have around the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

I think jackie needs to put in a couple of games for the club to prove that he is ok to resume county dutys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ridiculous statement to make. The club won't start until April so you want him to jump from club league games straight into inter county championship that far into the season? He'll re-join the panel in training when he's fit and well enough to do so and the last decade he has put in entitles him to that.

• Advertisement

No he missed the first round against ballyhale his last competitive match was the leinster final but I don't think he has anything to prove mick dempsey will have him spot on for next summer and if his up to it all well and good and if his not as was proven this year he will be a great man to have around the squad, michael rice is also a great guy for the younger players to have around the squad

2 experienced men alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

kk1970 wrote: »
    I think jackie needs to put in a couple of games for the club to prove that he is ok to resume county dutys

The man has 9 senior all-irelands medals is his pocket and has been outstanding in every single all ireland final he played. Always dominated his man in every single final. He has nothing to prove to nobody. Crazy statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

wouldn't have Jackie at 6 at all.

unrealtime wrote: »
    wouldn't have Jackie at 6 at all.

Would be an option at CHB.

Jackie was tried at six for years and proved time and time again number 4 is his best position and I don't c the point in trying him at six again at 33 years of age.joyce is doing okay there anyway, I'd see buckley as long term number six

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jackie got a good run at 6 in 2014. Didn't work out for him. His last match there was the drawn Galway game. Cody went with Hogan for the replay. It'll be the corner or the bench next year. Given the amount of fouls Pender conceded in the AI, I reckon the place is still up for grabs.
    Joyce'll be 6 next year though I'd love if he didn't take possession into contact so much this year. Maybe, for some reason, he was told to play this way but I thought he undid a lot of good work getting bottled up.

Altho shane done nothing wrong in his two games last year i feel the number 4 jersey is the only one up for grabs providing we have a full panel.i agree bout Joyce being excellent in the air but he has being penalised for charging and looking for frees when coming out with the ball.id say rob lennon could be tried at 4 it's a pity brian kennedy has slipped down the ladder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

citykat wrote: »
    Joyce'll be 6 next year though I'd love if he didn't take possession into contact so much this year. Maybe, for some reason, he was told to play this way but I thought he undid a lot of good work getting bottled up.

Totally agree. He needs to learn to give an easy hand pass to an unmarked team mate. There's no requirement for him to burst through a few opposition players every time he wins possession. My fear would be if we played Tipp (when they are having a good day), and he could get badly bottled up every time.

Altho shane done nothing wrong in his two games last year i feel the number 4 jersey is the only one up for grabs providing we have a full panel.i agree bout Joyce being excellent in the air but he has being penalised for charging and looking for frees when coming out with the ball.id say rob lennon could be tried at 4 it's a pity brian kennedy has slipped down the ladder

Good knowledgeable insight there lads. Tnx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Shane gave away two frees in the AI by lying on top of the ball but he should be able to rectify this deficiency in his play. Overall, he has more pace than Jackie and I think he is in the prime position to hold onto his place. However, people have been questioning Jackie since 2006 so I wouldn't rule him out. I would like to see Rob Lennon given a go at centre half even if only as a backup to Joyce

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People say Jackie has nothing to prove. In terms of a legacy of being one of the best corner backs to play the game, no he doesn't. In terms of staying in the team this season, yes he does. He looked off the pace a good chunk of last year. His experience and leadership was crucial in the end even though he didn't play.

I hope he can prove he still has it for another season and picks up number 10.

blackcard wrote: »
    Shane gave away two frees in the AI by lying on top of the ball but he should be able to rectify this deficiency in his play. Overall, he has more pace than Jackie and I think he is in the prime position to hold onto his place. However, people have been questioning Jackie since 2006 so I wouldn't rule him out.

He gave away three frees in total, 1 in the first half and the two late in the second half. Watched it again in the interests of research :rolleyes:. In fairness to him, he actually had a great game in the AI (better than I had remembered:o). That challenge on Smith halfway through the second half was sweet. He was a little hard done by on the last free IMO. He carried that form into the club championship when he had a great county final for Clara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I heard a few of the ex and current hurlers we're out for a few sociables ones in Syds to catch up last Saturday night. There were 8 of them there together and someone totted up how many AI medals the eight of them had between them. 70 AI senior medals between the 8 of them lots of counties haven't ever won 70 AI medals in all their history, many more couldn't scrap together lads with 70 AI medals still living and some counties don't have any AI medals at all and there last Saturday night were 8 lads not one of them over 36 as far as I remember and they had all that jingling in their pockets. We've truely been blessed with the caliber of player and manager we've had for the last 17 years.

I've also heard of at least two defensive additions to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm always amazed how many players seem to carry their medals around in their back pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭randd1

I'm always amazed how many players seem to carry their medals around in their back pockets.

We use them as 20 euro coins down here :)

• Advertisement

Who are the two newcomers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I always thought that you got trousers with special pockets that were custom made by Frank Wall if you were on the inter-county team :pac: :P

Poor choice of words I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I always thought that you got trousers with special pockets that were custom made by Frank Wall if you were on the inter-county team :pac: :P

I worked in wall's as a teenager and the hurlers used to be told just to not come in in a massive group because it would be impossible to fit them all at once. And wouldn't you know it, every year, they'd arrive in a group of about ten at a time.

(I know, cool story bro)

Who are the two newcomers?

Two Village lads no doubt! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

I heard a few of the ex and current hurlers we're out for a few sociables ones in Syds to catch up last Saturday night. There were 8 of them there together and someone totted up how many AI medals the eight of them had between them. 70 AI senior medals between the 8 of them lots of counties haven't ever won 70 AI medals in all their history, many more couldn't scrap together lads with 70 AI medals still living and some counties don't have any AI medals at all and there last Saturday night were 8 lads not one of them over 36 as far as I remember and they had all that jingling in their pockets. We've truely been blessed with the caliber of player and manager we've had for the last 17 years.

Met them all in a restaurant beforehand (River Gauche in the Left Bank).

Was with a few people not from Kilkenny so they were amazed to hear how many All Irelands were at the time

citykat wrote: »
    Two Village lads no doubt! :rolleyes:

No it wasn't Village men I heard about 1 Boro and 1 Erins Own. Plus 5 Bridge lads who I'll be in after their AI

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

No it wasn't Village men I heard about 1 Boro and 1 Erins Own. Plus 5 Bridge lads who I'll be in after their AI

The only back from the Boro I can think of who would be county standard is Evan Cody, fine hurler. Am I right?!

phkk wrote: »
    The only back from the Boro I can think of who would be county standard is Evan Cody, fine hurler. Am I right?!

Evan cody, conor delaney and luke scanlon are in with the seniors along with a few other under 21 and jason cleere, liam blanchfield and a few more bennetsbridge lads will join up after the club has finished.ive heard its mostly u21 that are in with the senior setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Henry Shefflin 10
    Jackie Tyrrell. 9
    JJ. Delaney 9
    Tommy Walsh 8
    Noel Hickey 8
    Richie Power 8
    Michael Kavanagh 8
    Eoin Larkin 8
    Aidan Fogarty 7
    Am guessing at the above, I am sure I will be corrected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement