Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

Village87 wrote: »
    Who played well at the club matches the weekend? Was at the village match, Luke Scanlon & Conor Browne were poor. Mvat looked very good especially 2 Malones & 2 Aylwards. Stopped off in Danesfort on the way home to watch Freshford play Tullogher, Walter Walsh looked very good as did Conor Hennessy. James Maher very poor. Darren Brennan played well he was busy throughout

Maher hurled very well in the first half he sort of ran out of steam in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Are the U21's training by themselves these days or have they taken a break? Or will they just join up a few weeks out and go hard at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Are the U21's training by themselves these days or have they taken a break? Or will they just join up a few weeks out and go hard at it?

Playing Limerick in a challenge match on Wednesday night.

Any chance that match would be played in Dunmore.

Any chance that match would be played in Dunmore.

Don't know where it's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

What kinda team will the u 21s be this year?dunphy in goal.
    Defenders michael cody,doheny,mullen, hennessy,matt kenny,bergin,Tommy walsh injured it's being said.
    We should have options from mf up.
    Leahy,donnelly,mossy,sheehan,tadgh dwyer,andy gaffney,conor hennessy,Sean carey,I'm probably missing a few.I don't know if Adrian mullen will be an option probably not with his leaving cert.

brookville wrote: »
    Defenders michael cody,doheny,mullen, hennessy,matt kenny,bergin,Tommy walsh injured it's being said.
    Leahy,donnelly,mossy,sheehan,tadgh dwyer,andy gaffney,conor hennessy,Sean carey,I'm probably missing a few.I don't know if Adrian mullen will be an option probably not with his leaving cert.

First game not till June 20th so Leaving Cert will pretty much be near over. Would fully expect Adrian Mullen to make the team.

Niall Brassil, Cathal McGrath, Shane Murphy, Sean Bolger, Sean Buggy, Ed Delaney, James Bergin, Colum Prenderville would be other contenders.

First game not till June 20th so Leaving Cert will pretty much be near over. Would fully expect Adrian Mullen to make the team.

Niall Brassil, Cathal McGrath, Shane Murphy, Sean Bolger, Sean Buggy, Ed Delaney, James Bergin, Colum Prenderville would be other contenders.

I don't know if joey cuddihy made the cut but he impressed me at times last year although got subbed near the end of most matches.Hopefully he'll benefit from henry managing and hurling alongside tj and company.
    I know the u21 play Galway first is that game knock out yea?

I don't know if joey cuddihy made the cut but he impressed me at times last year although got subbed near the end of most matches.Hopefully he'll benefit from henry managing and hurling alongside tj and company.
    I know the u21 play Galway first is that game knock out yea?

Yep. Very nasty draw considering Galway will have a game under their belt assuming the beat Offaly. Galway will also be very strong, won the corresponding Minor All-Ireland and another one since.

Kilkenny have been training since the beginning of December and could very well have one game. I know fixtures are a very contentious minefield at the moment but this doesn't seem very fair particularly when you consider that the majority of them are in 3rd level college and are probably passing up opportunities to go abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Village87

Yep. Very nasty draw considering Galway will have a game under their belt assuming the beat Offaly. Galway will also be very strong, won the corresponding Minor All-Ireland and another one since.

Kilkenny have been training since the beginning of December and could very well have one game. I know fixtures are a very contentious minefield at the moment but this doesn't seem very fair particularly when you consider that the majority of them are in 3rd level college and are probably passing up opportunities to go abroad.

Great competition, no second chance every team knows whats at stake.

On the issue of fixtures i see, Cork Tipp, Dublin, Wexford are still playing club fixtures and aside from Tipperary were all finished before Kilkenny in the Inter county scene.

When Kilkenny had the run of the system and the winning All Irelands every year Brian Cody and the county board always stated that clubs come first in the fixtures calendar. Some s*ite talk

Now Kilkenny are one of the worst county boards for looking after club fixtures in the country and we dont even have football to deal with

• Advertisement

On the issue of fixtures i see, Cork Tipp, Dublin, Wexford are still playing club fixtures and aside from Tipperary were all finished before Kilkenny in the Inter county scene.

When Kilkenny had the run of the system and the winning All Irelands every year Brian Cody and the county board always stated that clubs come first in the fixtures calendar. Some s*ite talk

Now Kilkenny are one of the worst county boards for looking after club fixtures in the country and we dont even have football to deal with

While the club v county issue is very decisive, this season was always going to be a learning experience for everyone which was further complicated by losing two weekends to weather. I would imagine that the situation will be better managed next year.

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that Cork, Tipperary and Wexford's first Championship match is the weekend after ours and will have a the same 4 week run in uninterrupted by club matches(which is the minimum stipulated by central council) as ourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

While the club v county issue is very decisive, this season was always going to be a learning experience for everyone which was further complicated by losing two weekends to weather. I would imagine that the situation will be better managed next year.

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that Cork, Tipperary and Wexford's first Championship match is the weekend after ours and will have a the same 4 week run in uninterrupted by club matches(which is the minimum stipulated by central council) as ourselves!

Can't speak for Cork or Wexford but Tipperary most certainly wont have a 4 week gap from club to county, there will be a round of club games played on the w/e 6th May leaving two weeks to the Limerick game.

He does not seem to have the ability to understand these things.

Did your county board vote in this situation no you seem to have a grudge with Brian Cody , my opinion is like what Colm o Rourke said in his article the clubs should march on Croke park. People like you seem to think players should be used and abused this whole thing is a farce but blaming your Co board for a thing they didn't vote in they are fecked if they do they are fecked if they don't. Don't make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Any update on Buckleys injury?

minty81 wrote: »
    Any update on Buckleys injury?

Four weeks according to the Kilkenny People which makes him a doubt for the Dublin match. This would be a worry, only player who is more important than him at the moment is TJ, but also who's his replacement? Jason Cleere after playing just one club match in the last six months?

Mark dowling said it was more of a precaution that it was a bruised knee but the kk people said different.I think I read matt o hanlon from wex has the same injury but he also should be ready for the first round.I'm sure cillian will get the best treatment to have him ready as he is so important to us.Buckley settled things after the clare match at 6 and we have no real replacement with joe lyng away and conor o shea unfortunately not able to nail down a spot.Cillian is very intelligent and has everything you need in a number 6.
    Better news on richie hogan who's hoping to step up training it'd be a huge boost to have him back on the panel.
    Ger aylward didn't tog out for glenmore at the weekend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

In Wexford we played football league/championship the last 2 weekends and hurling this coming weekend, was initially meant to be 2 rounds of each but lost 2 weekends in March due to snow.

That's a 4 week gap to our 1st hurling game on may 20th and 3 week gap for football on May12th. Most of our hurlers play both codes with there clubs same applies to the footballers

Any word on the u21 match this night.

Any word on the u21 match this night.

Should find out this evening. Going to a Minor match, the father of one of the Under 21 players should be there.

The 21's are also playing Tipp in a challenge match on the May bank holiday Monday in Gortnahoe, think this is an annual charity gig so a chance to kill two birds with the one stone. Unfortunately I am away with work that week.

• Advertisement

Did your county board vote in this situation no you seem to have a grudge with Brian Cody , my opinion is like what Colm o Rourke said in his article the clubs should march on Croke park. People like you seem to think players should be used and abused this whole thing is a farce but blaming your Co board for a thing they didn't vote in they are fecked if they do they are fecked if they don't. Don't make me laugh.

Ok the county board voted against it. But why is every other hurling county out this week and some next and Kilkenny only released there county players for 7 days after having them for 5 months already, with one club match last week. What a shambles!!

Why is there not more club fixtures this weekend or next. Dublin, Wexford and Galway are out this weekend with the Clubs and had club fixtures the last 2/3 weeks. Kilkenny county board are a disgrace they way they are treating club fixtures and players at present, few clubs tried to voice the opinion of all the clubs recently that we would like to see another round of fixtures but this was shot down immediately and told to stay quiet on the matter.

Fair play to all the other hurling county boards & managers for releasing there club players for 3/4 weeks to show that Club fixtures are what makes the GAA as strong as it is. Kilkenny county board take note!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭conor05

Lads does anyone know if Kilkenny are training this Saturday in Nowlan Park and what time?
    I’d like to go and see them train.

conor05 wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know if Kilkenny are training this Saturday in Nowlan Park and what time?

Doors are shut for training as far as i know

conor05 wrote: »

They've being shut for a few years I doubt any spectators would be allowed in it was great a few years ago but that's the way most teams are gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Buckley misses any match then we are are in serious trouble

Our four central players are hugely important for us but if buckley doesn't make it i wouldn't mind fogarty at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

randd1 wrote: »
    Unbelievably talented hurler, one of the greats.

Two images come to mind, the third goal against Waterford in 2008 that put the cherry on top of the most awesome performance in an AI final, and that catch, turn and score to seal the AI against Tipp in 2011. His iconic images in the black and amber for me.

That said, his greatest performance for me was in the replay of the 2011 county final against the Shamrocks, it was pure mastery and poetry, and probably the finest individual display Nowlan Park has ever seen.

Yes, I was at that match (2011 County Final) and I have always said to people that it was the best display of skill and accuracy in scoring points from long range that I have ever seen - absolutely brilliant - and a very humble and unassuming guy.

Ok the county board voted against it. But why is every other hurling county out this week and some next and Kilkenny only released there county players for 7 days after having them for 5 months already, with one club match last week. What a shambles!!

Why is there not more club fixtures this weekend or next. Dublin, Wexford and Galway are out this weekend with the Clubs and had club fixtures the last 2/3 weeks. Kilkenny county board are a disgrace they way they are treating club fixtures and players at present, few clubs tried to voice the opinion of all the clubs recently that we would like to see another round of fixtures but this was shot down immediately and told to stay quiet on the matter.

Fair play to all the other hurling county boards & managers for releasing there club players for 3/4 weeks to show that Club fixtures are what makes the GAA as strong as it is. Kilkenny county board take note!!

Were you at the meeting where this was shot down or is it street gossip I say if the league final had not come that was another weekend lost are a lot of these teams not out until the weekend after we play . March on Nowlan park

I wonder will there be any more cuts to the senior panel after the league?there usually is before the championship.
    joe lyng is due back soon he was one of our better performer's against waterford last year.
    Hogan should be back training soon and the 2 army men are due in a few weeks.Jason cleere should be linking back up with the panel while it'll be a few weeks before Kevin kelly is back.
    Hopefully ger alyward and cillian can get the injuries cleared up before the round robin begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Presuming that Aylward, Fennelly, Murphy and Hogan will not be involved, the team that I would pick is:
    Eoin Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian Buckley
    Enda Morrissey
    Richie Leahy
    Conor Fogarty
    Martin Keoghan
    TJ Reid
    John Donnelly
    Alan Murphy
    Walter Walsh
    Liam Blanchfield.
    Dublin at home with the Cuala lads back is going to be tough. A loss would probably mean that we make an early exit from the championship. A win would probably mean that the four lads mentioned above along with Kevin Kelly have a chance of being involved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement