Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Grats

I see Paul Murphy may play this week-end and then head away again.

Great that he's lining out, pity he's not back permanently though. Shows his commitment to his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

danganabu wrote: »
    We'll see in August when we play Galway I guess ;)

Getting to the All Ireland final is surely the absolute minimum expected of Ryan and the Tipp team. There are only two teams (Tipp & Galway) capable of winning the All Ireland (according to most people and the media). Therefore getting to the final wouldn't be a great achievement as it is expected. Win or bust for this Tipp team and management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

SteJer wrote: »
    Getting to the All Ireland final is surely the absolute minimum expected of Ryan and the Tipp team. There are only two teams (Tipp & Galway) capable of winning the All Ireland (according to most people and the media). Therefore getting to the final wouldn't be a great achievement as it is expected. Win or bust for this Tipp team and management.

The only person I recall saying Kilkenny would win nothing this year was your good self and then you followed it up with the pearler that Paddy Deegan was the major weak link in the Kilkenny team :D:D

I would say what you know about hurling could be written on the back of a stamp and you would still have room to sign it with your 'X'

The only person I recall saying Kilkenny would win nothing this year was your good self and then you followed it up with the pearler that Paddy Deegan was the major weak link in the Kilkenny team :D:D

I would say what you know about hurling could be written on the back of a stamp and you would still have room to sign it with your 'X'

Well you certainly cannot be trusted or believed. A few days ago I remember you saying you were finished with this forum.

Grats wrote: »
    Well you certainly cannot be trusted or believed. A few days ago I remember you saying you were finished with this forum.

Is it the memory or the reading that you have a problem with, because I said no such thing :confused:

For the record I merely offered my congrats and stated that I wasnt going to discuss the league final anymore with clear trolls.

Seeing that I asked you three seperate questions above and you refused to answer them and continue to make stuff up I can only assume you also fall into that category.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

I would like to compliment the ground staff for the immaculate condition the pitch was in last sunday hats off to everybody involved the park looked splendid.

I would like to compliment the ground staff for the immaculate condition the pitch was in last sunday hats off to everybody involved the park looked splendid.

Walked across it at the end and it was indeed in excellent condition considering the weather we have had and there being two games played on it.

Absolutely. It certainly held up well despite the thousands of supporters rambling around after the presentation. Buckley spoke about the support and what it meant to the players. And TJ mentioned in an article today how thrilled they were with the celebrations on the pitch. All our family stayed at least 40 minutes there, chatting with the players and other KK supporters. The players gave so much of themselves during the match and were so generous with their time afterwards. Great lads and a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Absolutely thrilled to be proven wrong on both. Now that the league is over we are on to the serious business. Kilkenny haven't a hope of winning the All Ireland unfortunately. Galway & Tipp are clearly the two strongest teams. Kilkenny might get up to that level in the next 3-4 years. The All Ireland is a two horse race with 6-7 other teams fighting it out just to reach an All Ireland semi final. I would imagine unless Tipp win the All Ireland this year Ryan will have to go. They better win at least one All Ireland for their sake before the Kilkenny rebuilding is completed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Are we finished talking about Tipp yet ?
    I thought it was THEY were obsessed with us, not the other way round !! FFS

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

SteJer wrote: »
    Absolutely thrilled to be proven wrong on both. Now that the league is over we are on to the serious business. Kilkenny haven't a hope of winning the All Ireland unfortunately. Galway & Tipp are clearly the two strongest teams. Kilkenny might get up to that level in the next 3-4 years. The All Ireland is a two horse race with 6-7 other teams fighting it out just to reach an All Ireland semi final. I would imagine unless Tipp win the All Ireland this year Ryan will have to go. They better win at least one All Ireland for their sake before the Kilkenny rebuilding is completed!!

Kilkenny "haven't a hope", really? I would imagine every team in the competition has a "hope".

I think it's the most open Championship in 20 years and i definitely don't see Tipperary and Galway "clearly " being the two strongest teams! Contenders, absolutely, "clearly " better than every other team to the point that they can all be dismissed as playing for semi final appearances, absolutely not!

Last Sunday clearly showed up that there is flaws in Tipperary and they are going to need to get the likes of Callanan and Bubbles back fit and close to firing on all cylinders. Why do so many people seem to be giving Galway a free pass on the grounds that they were late back training? I don't ever remember Kilkenny or Tipperary needing or been given similar concessions. Has anyone entertaining the fact that maybe the the same appetite is not there and the fact that they achieved the holy grail they are happy with their lot? Let's be honest if these Galway players never win another thing they can dine out on last year's achievements for the rest of their lives because there's not very many Senior All Ireland winners in the county .

For what it's worth i find it very difficult to call but I have gone a bit leftfield in that i collected a nice few quid from backing Kilkenny to win last Sunday at 9/4 (I promise I will stopping blowing this trumpet now 😂) and reinvested a few quid of it backing Limerick each way at 14/1. And having done that I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't even get out of the Munster group!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny "haven't a hope", really? I would imagine every team in the competition has a "hope".

I think it's the most open Championship in 20 years and i definitely don't see Tipperary and Galway "clearly " being the two strongest teams! Contenders, absolutely, "clearly " better than every other team to the point that they can all be dismissed as playing for semi final appearances, absolutely not!

Last Sunday clearly showed up that there is flaws in Tipperary and they are going to need to get the likes of Callanan and Bubbles back fit and close to firing on all cylinders. Why do so many people seem to be giving Galway a free pass on the grounds that they were late back training? I don't ever remember Kilkenny or Tipperary needing or been given similar concessions. Has anyone entertaining the fact that maybe the the same appetite is not there and the fact that they achieved the holy grail they are happy with their lot? Let's be honest if these Galway players never win another thing they can dine out on last year's achievements for the rest of their lives because there's not very many Senior All Ireland winners in the county .

For what it's worth i find it very difficult to call but I have gone a bit leftfield in that i collected a nice few quid from backing Kilkenny to win last Sunday at 9/4 (I promise I will stopping blowing this trumpet now ��) and reinvested a few quid of it backing Limerick each way at 14/1. And having done that I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't even get out of the Munster group!

Good shout, building a serious squad. Kevin Downes will be a great addition to the forwards. Also the Na Piarsaigh full back looked very good. Well able for Con. And we seen what Con did to Buckley that day in Parnell park. Limerick at home to Tipperary in the first round doesnt get much better

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Walked across it at the end and it was indeed in excellent condition considering the weather we have had and there being two games played on it.

Dangan, it looked certainly different to the Wexford pitch which has many bumps on it. I could see it as I made my way to the stand and commented to my colleagues regarding same.

As you probably know, the organisation by the Wexford GAA Officials and County Board was zilch, and we and many other motorists were stranded for up to two hours trying to negotiate a way out to get home.

I quite like your posts Dangan - an alternative view - as some of us are inclined to wear our rose coloured glasses, and different viewpoints are no harm - so keep posting. You give credit where credit is due, and are not afraid to point out when Tipperary get it wrong too!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Very little comment on the absolute mess the Kilkenny club championships are in. One round of matches this weekend and then that is it for potentially 5 months if KK get to the under 21 All Ireland final. Obviously we all want the county team to be successful as they were last Sunday but surely another round of matches could have been played the weekend after this. This will then result in 4 rounds of league matches having to be played later in the year followed by the championship. So club players most of whom are back since January or before it will have trained for 9 months for 1 match! A mess if ever there was one.

suirway wrote: »
    Very little comment on the absolute mess the Kilkenny club championships are in. One round of matches this weekend and then that is it for potentially 5 months if KK get to the under 21 All Ireland final. Obviously we all want the county team to be successful as they were last Sunday but surely another round of matches could have been played the weekend after this. This will then result in 4 rounds of league matches having to be played later in the year followed by the championship. So club players most of whom are back since January or before it will have trained for 9 months for 1 match! A mess if ever there was one.

Brian Cody taking no chances. Kilkenny are leaving no stone unturned, back last October, carrying a squad of near 60 for 3/4 months. Only playing one club match in April with 4 weeks to the Dublin match. Kilkenny are gone into overdrive with the professionalism and leaving clubs way behind who some clubs take as serious as intercounty. Heard Brian Cody was not having any of it when the suggestion of club matches take place next week. Something will have to change soon.

I love club matches and terrible that from next week to August/ September i cant go to any games other than special Junior. Not great for the 40 lads not on the Kilkenny panel that have ambitions to hurl

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Village87 wrote: »

Brian Cody taking no chances. Kilkenny are leaving no stone unturned, back last October, carrying a squad of near 60 for 3/4 months. Only playing one club match in April with 4 weeks to the Dublin match. Kilkenny are gone into overdrive with the professionalism and leaving clubs way behind who some clubs take as serious as intercounty. Heard Brian Cody was not having any of it when the suggestion of club matches take place next week. Something will have to change soon.

I love club matches and terrible that from next week to August/ September i cant go to any games other than special Junior. Not great for the 40 lads not on the Kilkenny panel that have ambitions to hurl
    You really need to stop mentioning Brian Cody in your posts to have any credibility or at least mention how well he has done with the County team over the years. It is clear you are from the Village and have a personal beef with Brian Cody. I think everyone gets it at this stage. Contrary to your hopes , he is admired and respected by the majority and Brian Cody did not have a personal vote.
    The issue for clubs was created by the counties who voted for the round robin provincial championship in hurling and super 8's in football. Kilkenny as a county represented by the board was vehemently Against, but were on the losing side of a democratic vote. The county board is working frantically to get some sort of fixture setup for the clubs, not an easy job as I have said before on this forum, which works around the national democratic decision.
    The question, I pose again and posed before on this forum (with no suggestions previously), what are the clubs proposing as a solution so that club and county can work together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The clubs looked for two league matches but are only playing one. That is down to one individual not the county board.

citykat wrote: »
    The clubs looked for two league matches but are only playing one. That is down to one individual not the county board.

I think the weather was the main issue. The league final was played a week later than originally scheduled and that was the reason the first round of matches need to be rescheduled.

Some people think that hurlers mentors are like pawns on a chess table when things don't work out for them just push them aside keep going you are fecked if you do and fecked if you don't sort of effort. Walked on to Nowlan park last sunday after the match we had a recent death in our family B Cody was walking over to be interviewed by one of the stations he made time for us appologised he wasn't able to be at the funeral I had my handicapped brother with me he is still talking about meeting him it meant so much to all. As somebody else said they spent forty minutes on the pitch after the match last sunday the players were amazing I never saw anything like it last Sunday the park is special M Breheney wrote article about it during the week, I was not here in 2013 but last sunday made up for what matches I missed .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    You really need to stop mentioning Brian Cody in your posts to have any credibility or at least mention how well he has done with the County team over the years. It is clear you are from the Village and have a personal beef with Brian Cody. I think everyone gets it at this stage. Contrary to your hopes , he is admired and respected by the majority and Brian Cody did not have a personal vote.
    The issue for clubs was created by the counties who voted for the round robin provincial championship in hurling and super 8's in football. Kilkenny as a county represented by the board was vehemently Against, but were on the losing side of a democratic vote. The county board is working frantically to get some sort of fixture setup for the clubs, not an easy job as I have said before on this forum, which works around the national democratic decision.
    The question, I pose again and posed before on this forum (with no suggestions previously), what are the clubs proposing as a solution so that club and county can work together?

The only way I see clubs getting certainty is to forget altogether about playing the club championship until after the All Ireland. Finish the All Ireland the first weekend in August & start club championships then. Prior to this clubs can play county leagues, Byrne cup etc. So for example clubs could go back in March/April with certainty instead of the current farce. Condense the Inter county season by condensing the league for starters.

• Advertisement

The only way I see clubs getting certainty is to forget altogether about playing the club championship until after the All Ireland. Finish the All Ireland the first weekend in August & start club championships then. Prior to this clubs can play county leagues, Byrne cup etc. So for example clubs could go back in March/April with certainty instead of the current farce. Condense the Inter county season by condensing the league for starters.

Get rid of thw Walsh cup and National League Q finals for starters. Being realistic most teams are back by mid to end October now so start the league a week or 2 earlier again around the 2nd week in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Village87 wrote: »
    Get rid of thw Walsh cup and National League Q finals for starters. Being realistic most teams are back by mid to end October now so start the league a week or 2 earlier again around the 2nd week in January.

Yes, that would be a good idea.
    I don't think it will ever get sorted though , will it ? Theres always something to upset the schedule. Who'd want to have to set out Fixtures ?!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

This mess only started this year it was decided because of the super eight in football something had to be done with the hurling so it was pushed forward that so league hurling matches were run off third level colleges matches were going to be played which was not fair on the third level colleges set up. Dads army wouldn't do it as well then they decided they would have April for the clubs which was madness before a hectic month of May players playing every weekend talk about burn out. Why don't they play a league championship this thing of starting the league in January would be a joke back in the stone ages the league didn't come back until spring time I couldn't imagine people coming out in freezing January weather they wont value for money.

This mess only started this year it was decided because of the super eight in football something had to be done with the hurling so it was pushed forward that so league hurling matches were run off third level colleges matches were going to be played which was not fair on the third level colleges set up. Dads army wouldn't do it as well then they decided they would have April for the clubs which was madness before a hectic month of May players playing every weekend talk about burn out. Why don't they play a league championship this thing of starting the league in January would be a joke back in the stone ages the league didn't come back until spring time I couldn't imagine people coming out in freezing January weather they wont value for money.

I was down in Cork for the opening round of the league, great attendance there. If all other outfield sports can play in January why cant GAA , soccer, rugby, american football etc. To many fixtures and competitions at present.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

You do know Storm Emma is not a real person??
    To be fair to Suirway he/she has made an attempt to finally get the discussion going, but to start fleshing it out.

With an All-Ireland series ending the first weekend in August (incidentally, a bank holiday weekend and the biggest holiday week of the year), you would in all practicality have to allow two weeks before playing club championship.
    With our current championship setup as a League/Championship, it would take 9 weeks to complete assuming no replays or club bereavements or freak weather events. That would bring you to at least the last weekend in October (Another bank holiday weekend) with a league championship game played on 8 of those 9 weeks by the finalists. All achievable if no extenuating circumstances.
    Meanwhile, if we follow that into Village87 thoughts that most county teams are back by mid October, we now have some county players playing all year round. Quite a challenge for amateur players. Even the professional players have an off season. I also note the suggestion of getting rid of the Walsh Cup. Kilkenny this year used the Walsh Cup to give the whole panel a run of some kind and develop a squad. If the Walsh Cup is gone, how does that happen?  Use the National League, I presume some will suggest. So now the National League becomes the pre-season tournament. How then does Mr. Allianz feel about that? The competition that he is putting big money into, is being demeaned. The competition that is making most money for the counties is demeaned. Is Mr. Allianz going to stay interested?
    These are just a small number of the conundrums facing national, provincial and county fixtures setters.  Before anyone asks, I don't have the answers, but nobody will come up with the answers unless groups start getting the issues into the public forum in an honest way and actually discussing them with the principle of Club and County together. This is to me why the CPA has been farcical. All I've heard from them is the term "Master Fixtures List". We all know that, but what does it consist of? Is there any poster here who is actually a member who could actually enlighten me.
    My own view is that every club in the country (not the CPA), should sit down and workshop with their members, potential aspirations and solutions, These should then feed to county and subsequently to national (provincial is debatable). The workshop is not just for hurling club members, but football, Camogie and Ladies football. We all use the same asset of pitches. We are on a three year trial of supers 8's and what not, so that is the timeframe for what would be the biggest ever root and branch review in the history of the GAA.
    In the meantime, lets be hearing thoughts and for God sake,  be mature, It's not Brian Cody's fault and Emma had to drop her flakes somewhere!

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    You do know Storm Emma is not a real person??
    To be fair to Suirway he/she has made an attempt to finally get the discussion going, but to start fleshing it out.

With an All-Ireland series ending the first weekend in August (incidentally, a bank holiday weekend and the biggest holiday week of the year), you would in all practicality have to allow two weeks before playing club championship.
    With our current championship setup as a League/Championship, it would take 9 weeks to complete assuming no replays or club bereavements or freak weather events. That would bring you to at least the last weekend in October (Another bank holiday weekend) with a league championship game played on 8 of those 9 weeks by the finalists. All achievable if no extenuating circumstances.
    Meanwhile, if we follow that into Village87 thoughts that most county teams are back by mid October, we now have some county players playing all year round. Quite a challenge for amateur players. Even the professional players have an off season. I also note the suggestion of getting rid of the Walsh Cup. Kilkenny this year used the Walsh Cup to give the whole panel a run of some kind and develop a squad. If the Walsh Cup is gone, how does that happen?  Use the National League, I presume some will suggest. So now the National League becomes the pre-season tournament. How then does Mr. Allianz feel about that? The competition that he is putting big money into, is being demeaned. The competition that is making most money for the counties is demeaned. Is Mr. Allianz going to stay interested?
    These are just a small number of the conundrums facing national, provincial and county fixtures setters.  Before anyone asks, I don't have the answers, but nobody will come up with the answers unless groups start getting the issues into the public forum in an honest way and actually discussing them with the principle of Club and County together. This is to me why the CPA has been farcical. All I've heard from them is the term "Master Fixtures List". We all know that, but what does it consist of? Is there any poster here who is actually a member who could actually enlighten me.
    My own view is that every club in the country (not the CPA), should sit down and workshop with their members, potential aspirations and solutions, These should then feed to county and subsequently to national (provincial is debatable). The workshop is not just for hurling club members, but football, Camogie and Ladies football. We all use the same asset of pitches. We are on a three year trial of supers 8's and what not, so that is the timeframe for what would be the biggest ever root and branch review in the history of the GAA.
    In the meantime, lets be hearing thoughts and for God sake,  be mature, It's not Brian Cody's fault and Emma had to drop her flakes somewhere!
    Nothing to do with Storm Emma - childish post. The clubs looked for two rounds of the league to be played between the end of the league and the first round of the Leinster. They were told in no uncertain terms that wouldn't happen. Cody dictates the club league schedule and has done for a number of years.

Nothing to do with Storm Emma - childish post. The clubs looked for two rounds of the league to be played between the end of the league and the first round of the Leinster. They were told in no uncertain terms that wouldn't happen. Cody dictates the club league schedule and has done for a number of years.

Not true. First round was originally scheduled for last weekend and a few matches not involving county players were due to be played but didn't go ahead due to waterlogged pitches. And the second round is going ahead this weekend as previously scheduled, with the first round to be rescheduled at a future date.

Not true. First round was originally scheduled for last weekend and a few matches not involving county players were due to be played but didn't go ahead due to waterlogged pitches. And the second round is going ahead this weekend as previously scheduled, with the first round to be rescheduled at a future date.

The approach to county board was made in the knowledge that the first round dates would clash with the league schedule. The clubs were looking for two rounds to be played.

The approach to county board was made in the knowledge that the first round dates would clash with the league schedule. The clubs were looking for two rounds to be played.

Yes those are the rumours but since the County board never made a statement on the situation they should be treated for what they are, rumours!

This issue only arose because of the weather which you clearly stated in your post was "nothing to do with Storm Emma "!

• Advertisement

Yes those are the rumours but since the County board never made a statement on the situation they should be treated for what they are, rumours!

This issue only arose because of the weather which you clearly stated in your post was "nothing to do with Storm Emma "!
    Statement! What planet are you on? The CB didn't want this to get out. That's why the chairman of the ringleading club was called in for 'a meeting'. Instead of being listened to, he was given a bollocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement