Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

citykat wrote: »
    Statement! What planet are you on? The CB didn't want this to get out. That's why the chairman of the ringleading club was called in for 'a meeting'. Instead of being listened to, he was given a bollocking.

Oh fancy that "county board didn't want it to get out ", "ringleading club ", must be a big conspiracy going on?! Keep us all updated seen as you seem to have the inside track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

Village87 wrote: »
    I was down in Cork for the opening round of the league, great attendance there. If all other outfield sports can play in January why cant GAA , soccer, rugby, american football etc. To many fixtures and competitions at present.

So you feel amateur players should be playing all year around we are not talking about the sports above its hurling I am talking about its a summer game. Answer me a question why did the league of Ireland change from the winter to the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think part of the problem is the the make-up of the GAA for whatever reasons. No blame attached.

In every other sport (I think) the league is played over X amount of games and whoever tops the league is the best team that season. They then have one or two 'seconday competiions' through the year, which are knockout only.

The GAA do the complete opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Oh fancy that "county board didn't want it to get out ", "ringleading club ", must be a big conspiracy going on?! Keep us all updated seen as you seem to have the inside track!

Grow up baby. There's a lot of pissed off hurlers in Kilkenny at the moment.

Grow up baby. There's a lot of pissed off hurlers in Kilkenny at the moment.

I don't doubt there is but it's unfortunate they way things worked out because of the weather!

And i think it's the keyboard warriors blaming it all on one individual who need to "grow up "!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Result: Mullinavat 4-18 Village 0-12
    Great win by Mullinavat

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Mvat very impressive apparently back training since November which is madness. They were strong all over the field. Village very poor but they'll probably have no interest in peaking at this time of year anyway. From a county perspective scanlon was poor, most people didn't know Browne was playing. Jackie and Larkin were quite as well. John walsh was dangerous anytime ball came near him. Mick Malone was decent. Willie dywer had his usual game at midfield. Tom alyward was solid at full back. They worked much harder than the village and made way more hooks and blocks overall.

The Vat were unlucky to lose to the Boro in the semi final last year. They'll be contenders again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Bennettsbridge scored a one point win over the Rower on a scoreline of 2-14 to 19 in windy conditions. It looked like a 10 point wind to me and the Rower were doing well when 8 points up after 20 minutes. However a Sean Morrissey goal meant that the lead at half-time was only 6. When Bennettsbridge scored 1-3 within 4 minutes at the start of the second half and Sean Morrissey getting his second goal , there only looked to be one winner. However, both teams seemed intent on losing with the Bridge giving away a succession of stupid scoreable frees and the Rower missing 5 of these including a free from the 21 which went along the ground. Richie Leahy played very well into the wind and the Rower backs played well. Sean Morrissey took his goals well and I thought Jason Cleere was classy even though he clearly wasn't up to speed. There looked to be a few marginal point/wide decisions which went against the Rower. Bennettsbridge will have to improve their disclipine.
    Ballyhale played very well when easily beating Comer. Playing against a very strong wind, their forwards spread the ball around very well and they lead by six at half-time, Michael Fennelly getting sent off on the stroke of half-time, I think for kicking a player on the ground. However the result was never in doubt with Ballyhale ending up winners by well into two figures. I was very impressed by the Shamrock, both their style and attitude, the likes of Richie Reid fighting hard for the ball and Adrian Mullen passing the ball to players in better positions whilst still scoring about 4 points. TJ was classy scoring 5 points from play including one whilst lying on his back. Joey Holden did well as did Eoin Reid. Conor Fogarty and Jamie Holohan were best for Comer. Ballyhale look to be in a good space under Henry Shefflin and with Darren Mullen and Colin Fennelly to come back, they have to be strong contenders this year.
    I see Paul Murphy and Richie Hogan listed in the subs tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Jason Cleere should be a good addition to the KK panel now that he's back playing with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

blackcard wrote: »
    Bennettsbridge scored a one point win over the Rower on a scoreline of 2-14 to 19 in windy conditions. It looked like a 10 point wind to me and the Rower were doing well when 8 points up after 20 minutes. However a Sean Morrissey goal meant that the lead at half-time was only 6. When Bennettsbridge scored 1-3 within 4 minutes at the start of the second half and Sean Morrissey getting his second goal , there only looked to be one winner. However, both teams seemed intent on losing with the Bridge giving away a succession of stupid scoreable frees and the Rower missing 5 of these including a free from the 21 which went along the ground. Richie Leahy played very well into the wind and the Rower backs played well. Sean Morrissey took his goals well and I thought Jason Cleere was classy even though he clearly wasn't up to speed. There looked to be a few marginal point/wide decisions which went against the Rower. Bennettsbridge will have to improve their disclipine.
    Ballyhale played very well when easily beating Comer. Playing against a very strong wind, their forwards spread the ball around very well and they lead by six at half-time, Michael Fennelly getting sent off on the stroke of half-time, I think for kicking a player on the ground. However the result was never in doubt with Ballyhale ending up winners by well into two figures. I was very impressed by the Shamrock, both their style and attitude, the likes of Richie Reid fighting hard for the ball and Adrian Mullen passing the ball to players in better positions whilst still scoring about 4 points. TJ was classy scoring 5 points from play including one whilst lying on his back. Joey Holden did well as did Eoin Reid. Conor Fogarty and Jamie Holohan were best for Comer. Ballyhale look to be in a good space under Henry Shefflin and with Darren Mullen and Colin Fennelly to come back, they have to be strong contenders this year.
    I see Paul Murphy and Richie Hogan listed in the subs tomorrow

The point/wide you feel went against the rower was clearly a wide ball from there free taker and the ref correctly overruled his umpire. I agree Jason cleere was very good even though he was understandably rusty. Your man Nicky cleere is some free taker. I felt the rower had Leahy too deep throughout the game as he looked like their most likely scorer and he could have created goal chances with his pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

I was very impressed with vegas today.they seemed to have picked up where they left off last year.very fit and strong in the tackle and they weren't as reliant on john Walsh up front but he was dangerous.Ian duggan was accurate on the frees and simon alyward scored a few long range ones.mick malone stood out I thought very good work rate.they could be dangerous opposition later in the year.
    The rower will be disappointed to not get anything from today but good to see Jason cleere in good shape

Kkman00 wrote: »
    The point/wide you feel went against the rower was clearly a wide ball from there free taker and the ref correctly overruled his umpire. I agree Jason cleere was very good even though he was understandably rusty. Your man Nicky cleere is some free taker. I felt the rower had Leahy too deep throughout the game as he looked like their most likely scorer and he could have created goal chances with his pace.

There seemed to be a dispute over 2 points but I wasn't in a position to say one way or the other. I think Nicky Cleere is up there with TJ as being the best freetakers in the county.

Jason Cleere should be a good addition to the KK panel now that he's back playing with the club.

Jason, Tommy Walsh and Paul Murphy look like they could be could be good additions, maybe not this year

Winter conditions in gowran today.The boro were the better team.Buckley didn't play.holohan made a great save near the end of the match.bolger was quite for clara although the quality of ball coming in wasn't great but he won 2 balls out hf infairness the boro immediately moved out doheny who not only quitend him he got a long range point.

Doheny is a good solid back he reminds me of Paul Murphy he was unlucky last summer with the injury he got, against Cuala in Parnell park when heads were down he kept going . Bolger will never fight for ball if it comes handy to him fair enough.

I agree bout doheny I like him his a tidy hurler unlucky last year hopefully he can have a good year with the 21s.Is shane stapleton involved with dublin this year?anyone know what's wrong wit buckley or did murphy play for danefsort earlier.

brookville wrote: »
    I agree bout doheny I like him his a tidy hurler unlucky last year hopefully he can have a good year with the 21s.Is shane stapleton involved with dublin this year?anyone know what's wrong wit buckley or did murphy play for danefsort earlier.

Paul Murphy started at full back for Danesfort, looked fit enough and played okay. Wet and windy conditions were not conducive to good hurling. Richie Hogan was in a tracksuit on the sideline, looked trim. I was told he had a procedure done last Friday relating to nerves in his back and could be back hurling in June.

You cant beat the club matches to get the people out its terrific to see so many people at these matches long live the club the heart of the gaa.

• Advertisement

You cant beat the club matches to get the people out its terrific to see so many people at these matches long live the club the heart of the gaa.

Good crowd in gowran today considering the bad weather.

Heard Doheny is going to the states in the summer.

Heard Doheny is going to the states in the summer.

I'd imagine it'll be hard hold young players all over the country and you couldn't blame them.
    Doheny would be a loss to the 21s if does go travelling along with tommy walsh who was said here is gone for the year.tadgh o dwyer didn't tog yesterday either he must be injured.
    I read that buckley has ligament injury anyone know how serious he is?
    Attention will turn to dublin now in a few weeks I was reading they got club games in to rushe,Peter kelly and few more long term injured players I don't think they put much into the league we'd want to be careful going up I'd say there planning an ambush.

I'd imagine it'll be hard hold young players all over the country and you couldn't blame them.
    Doheny would be a loss to the 21s if does go travelling along with tommy walsh who was said here is gone for the year.tadgh o dwyer didn't tog yesterday either he must be injured.
    I read that buckley has ligament injury anyone know how serious he is?
    Attention will turn to dublin now in a few weeks I was reading they got club games in to rushe,Peter kelly and few more long term injured players I don't think they put much into the league we'd want to be careful going up I'd say there planning an ambush.

Did we ever go up to parnell park just for the day out they will be ready tight pitch etc we will need everybody ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

robwen wrote: »

Some team:

1. Eoin Murphy

2. Michael Kavanagh
    3. Noel Hickey
    4. Jackie Tyrell

5. Tommy Walsh
    6. Brian Hogan
    7. JJ Delaney

8. Michael Fennelly
    9. Richie Hogan

10. TJ Reid
    11. Henry Shefflin
    12. Eoin Larkin

13. Eddie Brennan
    14. DJ Carey
    15. Richie Power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Village87

Who played well at the club matches the weekend? Was at the village match, Luke Scanlon & Conor Browne were poor. Mvat looked very good especially 2 Malones & 2 Aylwards. Stopped off in Danesfort on the way home to watch Freshford play Tullogher, Walter Walsh looked very good as did Conor Hennessy. James Maher very poor. Darren Brennan played well he was busy throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Conor Tobin ran the show for fenians. Very strange he hasn’t been in with county. Big quick and great to take a score. Lisdowney desperately poor and lucky enough to win it. Johnstown played last 20 with 14 men. JJ is a little slower but cute as ever.

Evan cody was good for the boro and I thought kevin blanchfield was decent for the bridge and nicky cleere very good obviously frees as usual.

Thought Conor Doheny was the stand out hurler in Gowran yesterday and Matt Kenny was very good for Clara both should have big roles to play with DJ's 21's this season. Was at John's Park Saturday evening, Carrickshock were shocking really can't see them winning a game this season. Joe Brennan was outstanding for Ballyragget, he must look at the current Kilkenny set up and wish he was 21 or 22 now rather than back '11 when he was added to the panel and was competing with some of the greatest hurlers ever to play the game. Then again he did win a couple of All Irelands, no guarantee that the current group will be so lucky.

• Advertisement

Bill Sheahan got very little possession but scored two points while Lester Ryan got on a lot of ball. TJ carried on his excellent form and Joey Holden was solid at full back. Conor Fogarty played the full 60 minutes, Conor Delaney was ok

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement