Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

brookville wrote: »
    I wonder will there be any more cuts to the senior panel after the league?there usually is before the championship.
    joe lyng is due back soon he was one of our better performer's against waterford last year.
    Hogan should be back training soon and the 2 army men are due in a few weeks.Jason cleere should be linking back up with the panel while it'll be a few weeks before Kevin kelly is back.
    Hopefully ger alyward and cillian can get the injuries cleared up before the round robin begins.

You wonder about C Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

blackcard wrote: »
    Presuming that Aylward, Fennelly, Murphy and Hogan will not be involved, the team that I would pick is:
    Eoin Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian Buckley
    Enda Morrissey
    Richie Leahy
    Conor Fogarty
    Martin Keoghan
    TJ Reid
    John Donnelly
    Alan Murphy
    Walter Walsh
    Liam Blanchfield.
    Dublin at home with the Cuala lads back is going to be tough. A loss would probably mean that we make an early exit from the championship. A win would probably mean that the four lads mentioned above along with Kevin Kelly have a chance of being involved

Intresting that only 4 cuala lads have committed.Cronin and o connell and mark schutte haven't joined up they'll be a loss.liam rushe has very little hurling done but I agree this will be a huge match if we get up and running with a win over the dubs we could have a decent summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

blackcard wrote:
    Presuming that Aylward, Fennelly, Murphy and Hogan will not be involved, the team that I would pick is: Eoin Murphy Joey Holden Padraig Walsh Conor Delaney Cillian Buckley Enda Morrissey Richie Leahy Conor Fogarty Martin Keoghan TJ Reid John Donnelly Alan Murphy Walter Walsh Liam Blanchfield. Dublin at home with the Cuala lads back is going to be tough. A loss would probably mean that we make an early exit from the championship. A win would probably mean that the four lads mentioned above along with Kevin Kelly have a chance of being involved

Presume you have Deegen as the missing corner back. James Maher unlucky but I would have Fogarty in all day once fit and Richie leahy is now Def a first choice player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Presume you have Deegen as the missing corner back. James Maher unlucky but I would have Fogarty in all day once fit and Richie leahy is now Def a first choice player.

Yeah, I should have included Deegan. Leahy has come on a ton in the last year, very impressive for the Rower in his last match. I think the only places up for grabs are the corner forward spots. For me, Bill Sheahan is still a bit light and I am not sure about the fitness yet of Ger Aylward

The new lads have being immense but leahy looks very exciting.His good in the air,knows where the posts are and has pace.He does take a bit too much out of the ball at times but his learning his trade at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

The new lads have being immense but leahy looks very exciting.His good in the air,knows where the posts are and has pace.He does take a bit too much out of the ball at times but his learning his trade at the moment.

Michael Fennelly and himself would have been a great combination together may be C Fogarty might be the man there with him down through the years in kilkenny you had the grafter the stylist, Frank Cummins, v Liam o Brien , joe Hennessy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Michael Fennelly and himself would have been a great combination together may be C Fogarty might be the man there with him down through the years in kilkenny you had the grafter the stylist, Frank Cummins, v Liam o Brien , joe Hennessy.

Same with Lyng and Cha.

Have enjoyed watching Leahy play this year. What Brookville says about him could probably all apply to Keoghan as well. Good man for going looking for tough ball, and if he was a bit bigger he'd be nearly the full package for a wing forward, no bother on him going for scores either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Same with Lyng and Cha.

Have enjoyed watching Leahy play this year. What Brookville says about him could probably all apply to Keoghan as well. Good man for going looking for tough ball, and if he was a bit bigger he'd be nearly the full package for a wing forward, no bother on him going for scores either.

Keoghan is plenty big enough. He definitely must be 6 foot and a build very similar to likes of Eoin Larkin in his day.

I was told colin is back in the country and has already linked back up with the county set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

suirway wrote: »
    Same with Lyng and Cha.

Keoghan is plenty big enough. He definitely must be 6 foot and a build very similar to likes of Eoin Larkin in his day.
    I meant big in terms of strength, rather than height, it's not a criticism, he's just very young. I've no doubt he'll have a great career

• Advertisement

Any word on the u21 match this night.

Should find out this evening. Going to a Minor match, the father of one of the Under 21 players should be there.

The 21's are also playing Tipp in a challenge match on the May bank holiday Monday in Gortnahoe, think this is an annual charity gig so a chance to kill two birds with the one stone. Unfortunately I am away with work that week.

Any idea how that u21 match went or how are they going with challenge matches?I know they wont see much of the 5 or 6 lads with the seniors hopefully they can integrate into the team later in year and challenge matches can be misleading but they can give teams an idea how there going.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Blackcard ....are you seriously saying all Alan Murphy should start ....what in name of god has he ever done at minor for 2 years , u 21 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

davidx40 wrote: »
    Blackcard ....are you seriously saying all Alan Murphy should start ....what in name of god has he ever done at minor for 2 years , u 21 2 years

Was a good minor in my opinion, nothing earth shattering but good on the frees and dangerous from general play, contributed well to the all Ireland win. Like most of the younger Kilkenny players was underwhelming at under 21 level

To be honest I wouldn't be starting him during the summer yet but from what I remember he was a good minor the semi final against waterford which went to extra time he was very good.I know he was on and off the u21 last year but I'd persist with him on the panel he should of got 2 points in early stages of the league final and given time I think he could be a dangerous player.He might be better coming on when a game opens up.
    I think blanchfield will also be used as an impact sub this year I know he gets his criticism here but cody is working on him and obviously is a better judge than we are here hopefully he will come good we all forget his only 21 look at jason forde only coming good now after 3 or 4 years on the tipp panel.looking at liam against the rower match up close his a huge man now if he tidies up his hurling he could be a handful.

Cody started him in the League Final so I wouldn't be surprised if he started him against Dublin. I think Bill Sheahan and Luke Scanlon are too light, Conor Martin has had his chances, I am assuming Ger Aylward will not be fully fit. Pat Lyng is not a corner forward so who does that leave?

Hopefully ger will be ready for the round robin he hasn't played since the wexford match which will be 5 or 6 weeks weeks till the first round.
    It's a shame kevin kelly has being injured because he'd be an option corner forward.
    Cody tried richie reid corner forward against offally that didn't work.
    His now trying to convert scanlon into a corner foward and it might work but he still looks light.
    Started leahy against clare corner forward but leahy came out mf in the 2nd half and really is only a mf or maybe wing forward.
    I like sheehan he'll give you everything he has but like a few others he could be a bit away from senior.
    Conor martin is on the panel 3 years now he should be closer to that team but his a good bit down the pecking order I'd nearly have someone like billy ryan in there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Fair play to the Galway county board. Less than 3 weeks out from the first round of the Leinster but playing club games.

To be honest I wouldn't be starting him during the summer yet but from what I remember he was a good minor the semi final against waterford which went to extra time he was very good.I know he was on and off the u21 last year but I'd persist with him on the panel he should of got 2 points in early stages of the league final and given time I think he could be a dangerous player.He might be better coming on when a game opens up.
    I think blanchfield will also be used as an impact sub this year I know he gets his criticism here but cody is working on him and obviously is a better judge than we are here hopefully he will come good we all forget his only 21 look at jason forde only coming good now after 3 or 4 years on the tipp panel.looking at liam against the rower match up close his a huge man now if he tidies up his hurling he could be a handful.

Who do you think should start?

It's hard to know who'll be fit or going well in a few weeks time.We could see fogarty join maher or leahy in mf or we could see leahy wing foward with tj and mossy.
    Maybe his going to keep some strength on the bench.
    Id say mossy is ahead of the other newcomers in attack although the others have done well mossy has being the most impressive imo.
    If alyward is fit he'll probably start with wally and there'll be a spot up for grabs in the other corner who ever is going well in training we won't know till the friday before the match when the team is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Just trying to work out how many man of the match awards TJ got in the League, am I right in saying 5?

Against Waterford, Wexford, Offaly, Wexford in the semi final and against Tipperary in the final too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

laneykin wrote: »
    Just trying to work out how many man of the match awards TJ got in the League, am I right in saying 5?

Against Waterford, Wexford, Offaly, Wexford in the semi final and against Tipperary in the final too?

Mossy Keoghan was MOTM against Waterford as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

citykat wrote: »
    Fair play to the Galway county board. Less than 3 weeks out from the first round of the Leinster but playing club games.
    And Wexford and Dublin played championship this weekend, some joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Village87

phkk wrote: »

Kilkenny the only hurling county not playing club this weekend. They are gone too far with there professionalism. Over taking set-ups such as Dublin footballers & Wexford hurlers who were pushing the boat out, Kilkenny have gone that step forward again by only releasing players to the clubs for 7 days over a 10 month period.

Makes a mockery of the club game that is held in the highest regard in Kilkenny

Village87 wrote: »
    phkk wrote: »

Kilkenny the only hurling county not playing club this weekend. They are gone too far with there professionalism. Over taking set-ups such as Dublin footballers & Wexford hurlers who were pushing the boat out, Kilkenny have gone that step forward again by only releasing players to the clubs for 7 days over a 10 month period.

Makes a mockery of the club game that is held in the highest regard in Kilkenny
    Clare have no club until they exit the championship but I do agree that we should of had a round last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Village87

Clare have no club until they exit the championship but I do agree that we should of had a round last weekend.

Clare clubs need to act on that, that is scandalous. Fair play to Tipp, Cork, Dublin, Wexford, Galway & Limerick who really got behind the clubs this month, great to see. As without the clubs going strong everything will break down.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Village87 wrote: »

Clare clubs need to act on that, that is scandalous. Fair play to Tipp, Cork, Dublin, Wexford, Galway & Limerick who really got behind the clubs this month, great to see. As without the clubs going strong everything will break down.
    Before you get really carried away. Do your maths on the number of clubs involved in the counties you mention. All have big numbers and more rounds to get through.
    Secondly they were junior games played in Kilkenny.
    Thirdly and most importantly there were a full round of Under-19 fixtures. How many other counties have attempted to tackle this key development area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Interesting about the club fixtures. Kilkenny was always known for playing club championship close to county, and never seemed to do any harm to either!

Dublin has another round of SFC this weekend , but no more hurling until county team gone, which unfortunately will not be that far away!

While it is good to see a few rounds this month, Dublin and other counties will still have congestion in autumn when clubs with dual players - Cuala be good example - will have SHC left off until Callaghan and Schutte come back from football. Would see no harm in having weekend of club championships where teams like Kilkenny hurlers and Dublin footballers are most likely going to have 3/4 week gap between games.

Month is plenty of time for exclusive concentration on county training. Most of Dublin injuries in both games have been sustained in training not county or club games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Grats

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Before you get really carried away. Do your maths on the number of clubs involved in the counties you mention. All have big numbers and more rounds to get through.
    Thirdly and most importantly there were a full round of Under-19 fixtures. How many other counties have attempted to tackle this key development area?

I agree. Everybody that wanted to know was aware that the new national fixtures regime was going to cause complications. Kilkenny County Board flagged this month's age. Two rounds of senior club hurling in April were agreed. Unfortunately due to bad weather and fortunately due to our involvement in the League Final, which we won by the way, the first round had to be postponed. Suggesting that we then just slot in a round on some other weekend in April is ridiculous. Players would have been made aware of the fixtures and would have made personal/ family arrangements around this. Telling them at the last minute to scrap those arrangements would be non sensical and unfair.

There is a league been run off at present that excludes the county players. Therefore it's not correct to say that there is no hurling for senior club players. And do remember, as mentioned in post quoted above, that there is lots of hurling going on every week. There's more to club hurling than just senior!

We can hardly complain too much since we did win the League Final. Or have some chosen to forget already!

Let's look forward to the upcoming Leinster Championship while enjoying the feast of action at all levels taking place every evening throughout the county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

how many rounds are in Kilkenny hurling? Cant speak for the other counties, but Wexford has 5 league games and then quarter/semi/final. An U20 competition was also introduced this season in football and hurling that start a couple of months back. It is to be played through county and club championships, supposedly so there would be no postponements of any games at that age group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

This is actually totally incorrect! There is not a league being run off at present that excludes county players. Two rounds of the new league were played prior to the first rounds of the league/championship at both senior and intermediate level. The next rounds of this new league are not until mid June. So from mid April to mid June there is NO hurling in Kilkenny for senior or intermediate teams!
    Grats wrote: »

There is a league been run off at present that excludes the county players. Therefore it's not correct to say that there is no hurling for senior club players. And do remember, as mentioned in post quoted above, that there is lots of hurling going on every week. There's more to club hurling than just senior!

We can hardly complain too much since we did win the League Final. Or have some chosen to forget already!

Let's look forward to the upcoming Leinster Championship while enjoying the feast of action at all levels taking place every evening throughout the county.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement