Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

TJ and Maher will be a serious battle in the air.

It will be very interesting as teams in general have avoided hitting high ball on top of the Tipp half back line since 2016 but Reid is so good in the air KK may decide that its worth trying, P Maher is unquestionably a better wing back but Ryan seems hell bent on playing him Centre Back.

There will be some fascinating battles all over the field and you never really get a phoney war with these two its generally all out and may the best team win, I have wondered ever since last years epic game in Thurles if either or both of the managers regretted the way that game developed into almost warfare, it took both teams a hell of a long time to recover, some would argue that neither did and that their seasons tailed off from that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭robwen

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0405/952413-combined-kilkenny-v-tipperary-xv-since-2009/

Combined Tipp KK team since 09, won't go down to well in Tipp I'd imagine, I'd have Richie Power in ahead of Colin Fennelly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

robwen wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0405/952413-combined-kilkenny-v-tipperary-xv-since-2009/

Combined Tipp KK team since 09, won't go down to well in Tipp I'd imagine, I'd have Richie Power in ahead of Colin Fennelly

I would say it's tough on Cummins and Eoin Kelly as well. No way C Fennelly would really be in the mix when you think just of the KK forwards he is in ahead of. Mick Kavanagh might also feel left out. I'm sure there's others.

I wont comment on any Tipp ommissions as it will just like a Tipp man whinging but when the author describes Bonner as a brilliant score getter then its time to stop reading. Bonner has many fine attributes and worth his place but he has never been in that forward line as a score getter, Bonners job and he does it better than anyone is to compliment the Kellys, the Corbetts, the McGraths etc. with hard graft and winning primary possesision, something Tipp have always struggled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

danganabu wrote: »
    I wont comment on any Tipp ommissions as it will just like a Tipp man whinging but when the author describes Bonner as a brilliant score getter then its time to stop reading. Bonner has many fine attributes and worth his place but he has never been in that forward line as a score getter, Bonners job and he does it better than anyone is to compliment the Kellys, the Corbetts, the McGraths etc. with hard graft and winning primary possesision, something Tipp have always struggled with.

The Bonner one is all just bullish!t, doesn’t capture his essence at all which was an ability to get on ball and, by sheer dint of will, create something out of it whether it was finding a colleague in space or having three lads dragging out of him and getting a free, he made stuff happen and made opponents work like dogs to stop him.

I did always think though that he could have bscked himself more to score on occasion. Seemed sometimes that it was the last thing on his mind.

Getting back to the list, it does bring it home how Kilkenny dominate in defense and the central positions while Tipp do best in the marquis forward lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

No power no larkin no bubbles allin ahead of colin for me

danganabu wrote: »
    Yeah I hadn't read what he said about Bonner, but anyone with even a passing knowledge of the game would tell you Bonner wasn't there for his score taking. Good idea for an off season rainy day debate list but it's a little amazing that there's someone getting actual money from the national broadcaster for that guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Is the terrace open Sunday lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Is the terrace open Sunday lads?

Yeah I went buy a ticket terrace ticket this evening in Loughboy SuperValu and they only had Ollie Walsh Stand tickets for sale. They're not always released to Centra/SuperValu at the same time and seem to be released in batches. Hopefully they're selling them in the Marketcross SuperValu because I have to buy 8 terrace tickets now.

Is the Ollie Walsh stand the loughlins end one? Didn't know they named it. Great choice.

• Advertisement

Is the Ollie Walsh stand the loughlins end one? Didn't know they named it. Great choice.

The Ardan Breathnach, also known as the old stand is the stand with the uncovered seats on either side of the main stand. It was named after Ollie Walsh.

The country end stand is Ardan Cearbhaill named after Ted Carroll

The stand with the full length stand is Ardan de Gras is named after Paddy Grace

I don't think the town end terrace is named after anyone.

The Ardan Breathnach, also known as the old stand is the stand with the uncovered seats on either side of the main stand. It was named after Ollie Walsh.
    Ffs in my stupidity I never made that connection.

Maybe we should name the town end after Diarmuid Kirwan, wind up the tipp lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

Any chance anyone has a spare Ardan De Gras ticket available? Went up to Loughboy Wednesday morning for a third one and they were gone. PM me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Just on the match sunday most agree it's always a 50-50 game when we meet each other.
    How we recover from last weekend's performance could be crucial.If we can get a similar performance and be more clinical when goal chances arrive could decide this match.
    The fact that it's at home might help our less experienced lads.
    Underfoot conditions mightnt be great although I think it's to get better over the weekend.
    Will cody make changes?maybe fogarty for maher.
    Couple of key matchups could be vital.will tipp put maher on tj that could be some battle,or maybe someone like Walter or mossy could be 11 to try break up the play and reduce his influence.
    Forde and mcgrath have continued their good form it'll be interesting to see who marks these.
    Sunday's game will be different to last weekend's and more 15v15.
    Tipp will be anxious to get a win in nowlan park but if we can lift it again sunday we should have a right chance.

Ffs in my stupidity I never made that connection.

Maybe we should name the town end after Diarmuid Kirwan, wind up the tipp lads.

I was actually thinking of proposing Ardan Ó Corbáin in honour of yer favourite gael :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hard to know where Kilkenny are at the moment. The home league wins against Tipp and Wexford were against depleted opposition, the win over Offaly was nothing to write home about. A good win against Wexford who reportedly had a heavy training session on the Friday before that match. Not that I am complaining as all players have given 100% but we will be a bit wiser on Sunday evening. I imagine Scanlon or Blanchfield will replace Aylward if he is out with a hamstring injury. I wouldn't be expecting us to win but hope we put up a decent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Aylward has been in the gym a few times this week and doesn't look like a lad who's hurt so be surprised if he's left out

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

blackcard wrote: »
    Hard to know where Kilkenny are at the moment. The home league wins against Tipp and Wexford were against depleted opposition, the win over Offaly was nothing to write home about. A good win against Wexford who reportedly had a heavy training session on the Friday before that match. Not that I am complaining as all players have given 100% but we will be a bit wiser on Sunday evening. I imagine Scanlon or Blanchfield will replace Aylward if he is out with a hamstring injury. I wouldn't be expecting us to win but hope we put up a decent performance.

Wasn't kilkenny also depleted against tipp missing Walsh, donnelly and delaney never mind the two away with the army. Also they beat offaly didn't lose, a hard fought scrappy win is the best of all you can only beat what's put in front of you and even better given " we supposed to have had our day “

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I see the winners on Sunday will travel to Australia in November to play Galway - another incentive if one was needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Tipp team named beatable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

The best of luck to both senior camogie, senior hurlers, on sunday in the park hopefully ye will bring spring to life.

Interesting how tipp have named Mark Russell on the bench. Not featured the last 2 games and was very threatening and effective when bought on against us last time

Kil v Tipp
    E Murphy
    J Holden P Walsh P Deegan
    C Delaney C Buckley E Morrissey
    R Leahy J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid J Donnelly
    B Sheehan W Walsh A Murphy
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C O'Shea
    R Lennon
    C Browne
    L Ryan
    C Fogarty
    L Blanchfield
    P Lyng
    L Scanlon
    C Martin
    R Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

No Kilkenny team yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Surprised Fogarty not starting, thought he was excellent when he came on the last day. Aylward obviously not fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

No harm to hold fogarty give Maher his start and bring him in.would have liked to see Scanlon in .
    As good as we Have I think we might not be to far away .should be great atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

Would of preferred Scanlon Corner forward than Murphy otherwise looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

No harm to hold fogarty give Maher his start and bring him in.would have liked to see Scanlon in .
    As good as we Have I think we might not be to far away .should be great atmosphere

More of the same hopefully Sunday. Getting into the league final a boost for these lads. They deserve it based on the performances thus far. Having fogarty, Lester, blanchfield and Scanlon to call on is a plus too as these guys especially the younger lads are gaining confidence with each outing.

Comerman wrote: »
    Would of preferred Scanlon Corner forward than Murphy otherwise looks good.

Would definitely agree with that especially after he goaled last time against them and not started since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Looking forward to game.were so lucky to follow this team of ours.the spirit they show win or lose is brillant to witness.lets roar them on and the girls beforehand v cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement