Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Nonsense talk.

Prior to Sunday and all the way through the league I was listening to how much Wexford wanted to win the league and get some silverware. Suddenly (after losing), we wanted to win it more.  Ok, anyone with any knowledge of Kilkenny hurling would know a Brian Cody team wants to win Every match they play in. After nearly 20 years, surely all Kilkenny fans know this. But wanted to win it more than Wexford?... How do measure that?... Just because we won, is that it?  I don’t think so. It’s is probably one of GAA greatest clichés.  

Now just because we beat Wexford, which wasn’t a surprise to me, doesn’t mean we should be overly confident of beating Tipperary (which I am now hearing around). The team has been setup to eliminate the sweeper system, which it has now successfully done with our two biggest league wins being against Wexford and Waterford.  Great now we can beat the sweeper system. That should be more of a concern for Davy Fitz and Derek McGrath. Well done management team and players. Now the team has to switch back to beating the traditional style hurling in one week. How easy will that be? Anyone who has coached teams will understand not easy, not impossible either.  I personally enjoy the style of play at the moment, but it is somewhat football based. Whether traditionalists like to hear that or not is another thing. I read somewhere about someone giving out about football and the number of handpasses. Start counting them in hurling now. Anyone count our handpasses on Sunday? 

It is “funny” that less than two months ago, people were calling for the managements head and claiming the production line is broken down.  Those in the know will tell you that there is a serious bunch of players between 17 and 20, although there are concerns after that. Of course those players do need work and that is going on. I understand a lot of people who post here are not in the country and they do have a huge interest and a thirst for updates, but they would have been totally misled by the comments here earlier in the year and last year too. 

One lad I am particularly delighted for is Joey Holden. After the 2016 final, I said he was the best we had in a full back line that day as it was left exposed further up the field. He was also marking their best player on the day. Yet the supporters crucified him the most and probably helped destroy his confidence. He has had a super league with the exception of the Cork game and was involved in one of the bravest management decisions in Kilkenny club history too.  It is interesting watching himself and Paddy Deegan making runs off the ball into the half forward line. I would also have been sceptical of Padraig Walsh at full back. The evidence of the games is making me re-think on this too. There seems to have been method in the apparent madness. 

Looking forward to an interesting tussle on Sunday where the loyal and dedicated Kilkenny fans will be in very early for the Camogie final which will have bit of bite too given the history that has developed between the Cork and Kilkenny recently. 

Nonsense talk?? What a ridiculous statement!! It's a fact that in the match yesterday Kilkenny wanted the win more than wexford. Kilkenny out fought and out hurled them. They won most of the 50/50 challenges which was great to see and didn't give wexford any time on the ball. The hurling they did, which is far less direct than we are used to seeing, is what is needed to negate the sweeper system. It was the best performance from the lads this year and hopefully it will give them more confidence going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭blackcard

In the round robin matches in the Leinster Championship, what happens if teams end up on the same number of points? Is it like the league where if there are two teams level on points, it is the head to head that counts and if there are three or more teams level on points, points difference is the decider? It is very likely that teams will end up level. If for example all teams except Offaly won their home matches and the only away wins are to Offaly, it would end up with Galway and Wexford on 6 points with Dublin and Kilkenny on 4 points. Galway and Wexford would contest the Leinster Final with Dublin playing the Munster Final losers and Kilkenny eliminated if it is decided on head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Mentioned earlier but lets get in early to support the kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Uh...are the minors playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Uh...are the minors playing?

Senior camogie v cork(friendly game)😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

dubcat51 wrote: »

Its ridiculous for people/supporters to call the SENIOR Camogie team "Kittens" ...
    Kittens are small/baby Cats, so I don't get the reason for calling Senior camogie players that. Its not a "PC Thing" , it just doesn't make sense really !!
    Maybe for Minors and under age hurlers/camogie, it might be more apt ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Nonsense talk.

Prior to Sunday and all the way through the league I was listening to how much Wexford wanted to win the league and get some silverware. Suddenly (after losing), we wanted to win it more.  Ok, anyone with any knowledge of Kilkenny hurling would know a Brian Cody team wants to win Every match they play in. After nearly 20 years, surely all Kilkenny fans know this. But wanted to win it more than Wexford?... How do measure that?... Just because we won, is that it?  I don’t think so. It’s is probably one of GAA greatest clichés.  

Now just because we beat Wexford, which wasn’t a surprise to me, doesn’t mean we should be overly confident of beating Tipperary (which I am now hearing around). The team has been setup to eliminate the sweeper system, which it has now successfully done with our two biggest league wins being against Wexford and Waterford.  Great now we can beat the sweeper system. That should be more of a concern for Davy Fitz and Derek McGrath. Well done management team and players. Now the team has to switch back to beating the traditional style hurling in one week. How easy will that be? Anyone who has coached teams will understand not easy, not impossible either.  I personally enjoy the style of play at the moment, but it is somewhat football based. Whether traditionalists like to hear that or not is another thing. I read somewhere about someone giving out about football and the number of handpasses. Start counting them in hurling now. Anyone count our handpasses on Sunday? 

It is “funny” that less than two months ago, people were calling for the managements head and claiming the production line is broken down.  Those in the know will tell you that there is a serious bunch of players between 17 and 20, although there are concerns after that. Of course those players do need work and that is going on. I understand a lot of people who post here are not in the country and they do have a huge interest and a thirst for updates, but they would have been totally misled by the comments here earlier in the year and last year too. 

One lad I am particularly delighted for is Joey Holden. After the 2016 final, I said he was the best we had in a full back line that day as it was left exposed further up the field. He was also marking their best player on the day. Yet the supporters crucified him the most and probably helped destroy his confidence. He has had a super league with the exception of the Cork game and was involved in one of the bravest management decisions in Kilkenny club history too.  It is interesting watching himself and Paddy Deegan making runs off the ball into the half forward line. I would also have been sceptical of Padraig Walsh at full back. The evidence of the games is making me re-think on this too. There seems to have been method in the apparent madness. 

Looking forward to an interesting tussle on Sunday where the loyal and dedicated Kilkenny fans will be in very early for the Camogie final which will have bit of bite too given the history that has developed between the Cork and Kilkenny recently. 

Nonsense talk?? What a ridiculous statement!! It's a fact that in the match yesterday Kilkenny wanted the win more than wexford.
    So you said in your initial post.
    Thanks for the heads up on how you measure hunger. Maybe that explains the problem for the Mayo Footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

blackcard wrote: »
    In the round robin matches in the Leinster Championship, what happens if teams end up on the same number of points? Is it like the league where if there are two teams level on points, it is the head to head that counts and if there are three or more teams level on points, points difference is the decider? It is very likely that teams will end up level. If for example all teams except Offaly won their home matches and the only away wins are to Offaly, it would end up with Galway and Wexford on 6 points with Dublin and Kilkenny on 4 points. Galway and Wexford would contest the Leinster Final with Dublin playing the Munster Final losers and Kilkenny eliminated if it is decided on head to head.

I've spent a few minutes trying to find the answer to your question online but to no avail.
    I guess it will be the same as it is in the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

blackcard wrote: »
    I've spent a few minutes trying to find the answer to your question online but to no avail.
    I guess it will be the same as it is in the League.

Same as that but as far as I am aware the default rule is as blackard describes ; two team head to head, more than two score differnce. So in the absence of a clear derogation in the rules for this new format I assume that general rule applies.

But come on now, it may very well come into play in Munster but there is zero chance of either Dublin or Offaly beating anyone other than each other, the three coming from Leinster is known, but we have to play 11 games to find out in what order, have I said before that I think this new structure (that was voted in primarily by football counties) is a wonderful idea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

danganabu wrote: »
    Same as that but as far as I am aware the default rule is as blackard describes ; two team head to head, more than two score differnce. So in the absence of a clear derogation in the rules for this new format I assume that general rule applies.

But come on now, it may very well come into play in Munster but there is zero chance of either Dublin or Offaly beating anyone other than each other, the three coming from Leinster is known, but we have to play 11 games to find out in what order, have I said before that I think this new structure (that was voted in primarily by football counties) is a wonderful idea :rolleyes:

Dublin v KK in Round 1 in Parnell Park isn't a foregone conclusion

• Advertisement

Dublin v KK in Round 1 in Parnell Park isn't a foregone conclusion

Having seen Dublin thus far, and even accounting for the Cuala lads and the premise that Parnel Park may be worth a 3-4pts advantage to Dublin, I would give Dublin less than a 10% chance of winning. PP currently has KK 1/6, win next Sunday that will be 1/8 and will still be value. A TJ Reid injury and/or a sending off maybe Dublin have a sniff but all things being equal its a nice comfortable start for KK and a good experience for the inevitable debutants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

Having seen Dublin thus far, and even accounting for the Cuala lads and the premise that Parnel Park may be worth a 3-4pts advantage to Dublin, I would give Dublin less than a 10% chance of winning. PP currently has KK 1/6, win next Sunday that will be 1/8 and will still be value. A TJ Reid injury and/or a sending off maybe Dublin have a sniff but all things being equal its a nice comfortable start for KK and a good experience for the inevitable debutants.

To be honest id be cagey enough playing dublin.You would expect the few cuala players and liam rushe to make a difference.There apparently training very hard with only their eye on the championship I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion.

Ah ye're getting worse that than the Kerry lads for the cute hoorism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If we lose to Dublin I'll be disgusted.

Even before the renewed positivity I feel as a result of the league if we'd lost to Dublin I'd have been disgusted.

They're still playing Ryan O' Dwyer and Keaney ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

If we lose to Dublin I'll be disgusted.

Even before the renewed positivity I feel as a result of the league if we'd lost to Dublin I'd have been disgusted.

They're still playing Ryan O' Dwyer and Keaney ffs.

Agreed, Dublin are at nothing at the moment. Dublin would have a great chance if they managed to play Con, Kilkenny, Cormac Costello, Mark Schutte, Peter Kelly, Diarmiud Connolly. But the moment Kilkenny are 8-10 points a better team

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Nonsense talk?? What a ridiculous statement!! It's a fact that in the match yesterday Kilkenny wanted the win more than wexford. Kilkenny out fought and out hurled them. They won most of the 50/50 challenges which was great to see and didn't give wexford any time on the ball. The hurling they did, which is far less direct than we are used to seeing, is what is needed to negate the sweeper system. It was the best performance from the lads this year and hopefully it will give them more confidence going forward.

"It's a fact that in the match yesterday Kilkenny wanted the win more than wexford". Is it really? How do you prove that "fact"? I would suggest that it's your opinion and i would agree with the other poster in claiming that's "nonsense talk"."They won most of the 50/50 challenges", did they? I assume you have stats to back this up. What's a 50/50 challenge anyway? Surely that's completely subjective.

It baffles me as to why a county that haven't won an national senior title of any description in over 20 years would go out in a national semi final at home in front of a very vocal expectant crowd against a neighbouring county who they have no great love for and decide you know what i can't really be arsed today! They have been training for the previous four months through the worst winter in living memory and they go out last Sunday and decide they can't be bothered! Really??

The "wanting it more" line is the lazy mans way of explaining an outcome when they either can't explain it or can't be bothered trying to explain it! And it's used a lot by so called experts on tv, our own Eddie Brennan is a regular user! My take on last Sunday is that we won because we were/are a better team playing to game plan designed to try and circumnavigate their sweeper system which in the main we succeeded in doing. I think confidence and belief was also a factor, it seemed to drain out of them when we got a run of win assisted scores in the first half and again in the second half when Rory O'Connor missed a free straight in front of the goal, which is understandable with a group who have had no tangible success coming up against a team they probably feel inferior to. We can only speculate on the physical readiness of both teams but we did have a 2 week break from the last game compared to one week in their case so that might have been a factor to.

But to claim we won because we "wanted it more" is both insulting to Wexford in that the implication is that weren't trying their best and insulting to Kilkenny because it implies we only won because they were not trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

"It's a fact that in the match yesterday Kilkenny wanted the win more than wexford". Is it really? How do you prove that "fact"? I would suggest that it's your opinion and i would agree with the other poster in claiming that's "nonsense talk"."They won most of the 50/50 challenges", did they? I assume you have stats to back this up. What's a 50/50 challenge anyway? Surely that's completely subjective.

It baffles me as to why a county that haven't won an national senior title of any description in over 20 years would go out in a national semi final at home in front of a very vocal expectant crowd against a neighbouring county who they have no great love for and decide you know what i can't really be arsed today! They have been training for the previous four months through the worst winter in living memory and they go out last Sunday and decide they can't be bothered! Really??

The "wanting it more" line is the lazy mans way of explaining an outcome when they either can't explain it or can't be bothered trying to explain it! And it's used a lot by so called experts on tv, our own Eddie Brennan is a regular user! My take on last Sunday is that we won because we were/are a better team playing to game plan designed to try and circumnavigate their sweeper system which in the main we succeeded in doing. I think confidence and belief was also a factor, it seemed to drain out of them when we got a run of win assisted scores in the first half and again in the second half when Rory O'Connor missed a free straight in front of the goal, which is understandable with a group who have had no tangible success coming up against a team they probably feel inferior to. We can only speculate on the physical readiness of both teams but we did have a 2 week break from the last game compared to one week in their case so that might have been a factor to.

But to claim we won because we "wanted it more" is both insulting to Wexford in that the implication is that weren't trying their best and insulting to Kilkenny because it implies we only won because they were not trying!

I understand both arguments. On the day Wexford went out looking for a big performance that did not materialise as a result Kilkenny looked like they wanted it more, being hungrier, more intense and aggression and a better game plan. Wexford will learn a lot from that match and the talk leading up to the match about all ireland contenders seeped into their heads. Next day in Nowlan Park will be an entirely different game and Wexford will look to put Kilkenny on the back foot, Lee Chin, Jack o Connor and others wont be as quiet next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I would give the following marks to our lads for last Sundays match

Eoin Murphy -8- Excellent on the puck outs varied them well and was available too defenders if they got into trouble a very good first game back.
    Joey Houlden -9- A very strong and assured performance from Joey and he finally seems to have his confidence back. What you wouldn't have noticed if watching on TV was the amount of runs Joey made in support of our forwards and ended up on the opposition 45 numerous times. I think he only got the ball once but still offered up the run so many times.
    Padraig Walsh -8- A great strong and assured performance from him I wouldn't blame him for the penalty at all and I think he did everything right for McDonalds goal it was just a great catch and strike.
    Paddy Deegan -8- He gave away the penalty and I'll be honest he's not my favourite option at corner back at the minute, I think he's to reactive and gets caught flat footed too often. Having said that I think he played a great game on Sunday and made great runs forward in support and carried the ball along up the field to set up a good few attacks. Other than the penalty he had his best day in a Kilkenny shirt yet and I'm happy for him.
    Conor Delaney -9- I think the best thing about Conors display was you'd hardly think he did anything, especially if watching on TV. He marshalled Chin so well I can only remember Chin hitting the ball 3 or 4 times and nothing came of anything he did. Conor just quietly checked him and ghosted around with him all day.
    Cillian Buckley -9- I think he had a great day and supported his fellow defenders all day and was always available to them for a pass and covering for them if their man got through. His distribution to the forwards was perfect almost all day.
    Enda Morrissey -10- For me he was man of the match and so many Wexford attacks perished on his wing or where ever he was involved. Again he was always available in support and chipped in with a lovely point.
    James Maher -8- I thought he was playing very well, was covering around the half back line and breaking forward with menace. I was surprised when he was replaced with Fogarty. I thought one of the forwards would go instead and either himself or Leahy would push up.
    Richie Leahy -8- put in another really hard sift and tracked lads all over the field but still broke forward to cause fierce trouble in the Wexford defence slotting 2.
    Mossy Keoghan -8- his best performance since the Waterford game, he hassled and harassed Wexford lads all day and chipped in with a peach of a score too from the wing.
    TJ Reid -9- he's just class, as usual so far this year. A completely different and rejuvenated hurler compared to last year and is leading by example.
    John Donnelly -7- I'd give him a 8 or 9 for his first half, he was every where. He hesitated when he caught that ball at the start of the match and didn't think his path to goal would be so open, he probably would have scored if he didn't hesitate. Worked so hard but took a few wrong options but still got a nice couple of points.
    Ger Aylward -7- Should be a 8 or 9 if he just could have converted a few more of his chances. I ouldn't blame hime for the goal miss he did every thing right the keeper just made a fabulous save in fairness to him. I think if he gets a few scores or a goal or two his confidence will come soaring back and he'll be unstoppable. He tweaked his hammy on his good leg apparently, they only took him off as a precaution he will hopefully play against Tipp.
    Wally Walsh -9- I think Wally was imense and tracked Foley down the field so much. He laid down physical markers as well that we weren't going to be pushed around and obviously he chipped in with his goal and point. The goal was particularly crucial to get when we did.
    Bill Sheehan -8- I think he had a great game his flick sideways into Aylwards pass was a thing of beauty if Joe Canning or John McGrath had done it we'd be hearing about it all week. Aside from that he played very well and took his point nicely and supported the other forwards really well. Right up to the time he was taken off in the 68 minute he was tracking lads well back into the Kilkenny half and got a few nice hooks and dispossessions as a result.
    Conor Fogarty -8- Not on long but he really got stuck in and broke up a good few attacks and set up a good few more
    Liam Blanchfield -7- not on long enough to really rate but did put himself around and I'd be happy enough with his effort.
    Lester Ryan, Luke Scanlon & Pat Lyng not on long enough to rate.

I would be confident going into the weekend that if we reproduce that performance and Tipp reproduce their semi Final performance, Kilkenny will be eating dinner in Langtons with a trophy on the table. I think Tipps full back line is still a massive area of concern, from midfield forward they will punish every team they play but I think they're full back line is still really vulnerable.

Kilkenny and Tipp are the two teams who have tried the most players in this years league, I think they've both tried 35 players each. I think Kilkenny have found more in areas they needed to find players in than Tipp have. Tipp needed to strengthen their defence at the start of this league and to be honest I think they've only strengthened they're midfield and forwards which is lovely but not what they set out to do, I would imagine. We needed solutions all over the field and I think we've found most of them. We now have a very good back up keeper. Our full back line is getting more solid as the games go on, against my better judgement of it to begin with. We look like we're creating another half back line teams should be worried about feeding too much. We've 3 or 4 options in midfield depending on the opposition. We've unearthed at least 3 if not 4 forwards who can definitely do damage at this level. Ally that with the positioning of our best and most experienced players down the spine of the team Eoin Murphy, Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty, TJ Reid, Wally Walsh it's allowed the young guys to flourish around them. I'm not saying we're the finished article or even close to it but we've made a huge leap forward. At the end of 2017 on the boards Hurling ranking page we were 6th and rightly so, now we're 3rd after the weekend and will probably be second if we can win the league final thats a fair turn around for a team in transition. Add in Paul Murphy who's apparently home next week, Richie Hogan who's well on the road to getting back, Colin Fennelly home in mid May, Jason Cleere back hurling in the round of club games and Kevin Kelly at the end of June. We'll have a fair squad to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

Good post as always.is there a reason murphy would be home earlier than fennelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Excellent post tbiggertycome.... agree with all of that...will be up against it to win this Sunday but definitely a lot of reasons to be optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

brookville wrote:
    Good post as always.is there a reason murphy would be home earlier than fennelly?

Think there both heading off on their own private holidays for a week or 2 now.

I think Tipps full back line is still a massive area of concern, from midfield forward they will punish every team they play but I think they're full back line is still really vulnerable.

Kilkenny and Tipp are the two teams who have tried the most players in this years league, I think they've both tried 35 players each. I think Kilkenny have found more in areas they needed to find players in than Tipp have. Tipp needed to strengthen their defence at the start of this league and to be honest I think they've only strengthened they're midfield and forwards which is lovely but not what they set out to do, I would imagine.

Don't agree with that at all to be honest, Alan Flynn corner back has been excellent in every game he has played and Barry Heffernan at wing back is a huge step up on Seamus Kennedy. Paude Feehan has been very good wing back as well. Cathal Barret still has to come back. The major problem with Tipps backs last year was a lack of pace, Flynn and Barrett in partcualr are a huge step forward in that regard.

Donnagh Maher and Kennedy were in the back six last season and haven't a hope of been there this year barring injuries. Barry at full back is vunrable but show me an inter county full back that isn't.

Dont think we have improved our midfield at all, its still Brendan Maher and A.N. Other.

Jason Forde is the only 'new' forward that has nailed down a spot, the likes of Breen and Curran will be nice options from the bench but thats about it.

brookville wrote: »

Murphy is apparently starting a course with the Army and needed to be home to start it before the tour was ending. He also got to take a bit of a holiday before coming back as far as I know.

Don't agree with that at all to be honest, Alan Flynn corner back has been excellent in every game he has played and Barry Heffernan at wing back is a huge step up on Seamus Kennedy. Paude Feehan has been very good wing back as well. Cathal Barret still has to come back. The major problem with Tipps backs last year was a lack of pace, Flynn and Barrett in partcualr are a huge step forward in that regard.

Donnagh Maher and Kennedy were in the back six last season and haven't a hope of been there this year barring injuries. Barry at full back is vunrable but show me an inter county full back that isn't.

Dont think we have improved our midfield at all, its still Brendan Maher and A.N. Other.

Jason Forde is the only 'new' forward that has nailed down a spot, the likes of Breen and Curran will be nice options from the bench but thats about it.

That's fair enough I wouldn't expect us to agree especially on Tipp players. I agree there is no full back that looks truly comfortable these days. I personally don't think Alan Flynn is the answer to your corner back issue. Admittedly I haven't seen a huge amount of him however what I saw on Saturday night would definitely concern me. When things were tight he was really good as any corner back should be but he was very shaky and didn't do a good job when his man dragged him around which Lim did plenty of in the first half and only sparingly there after. That's just my opinion I'm sure he has the hurling to improve but I wouldn't be happy with him, much as I'm not the biggest fan of Paddy Deegan but he's improving game on game and I'm sure Alan can do the same but will either improve enough? Likewise Mickey Cahill is great in the tight and is definitely more assured when it gets a bit looser but still not amazing although he does seem to be getting back to where he was which would be a massive step for ye. I think ye'll have a good half back line with who ye have available but Maher needs to marshall them which I'm sure he does.

I think Ronan Maher has proven he can handle midfield and Cathal Barrett could even be put back in there, he didn't do much wrong that I saw. I think in the forwards if everyone is fit Michael Ryan will have a nice headache of finding the right 6 to blend together out of John McGrath, Noel McGrath, Bonner Maher, Bubbles, Jason Forde, Sheamie Callanan we're already at 7 and we haven't mentioned any of the lads who've played so well in the League when given the chance. I think you won't be short of forwards unless the plague strikes Tipperary. For me ye have 3 top class defenders and the rest are good or decent Padraig Maher, Cathal Barrett and Mickey Cahill but that leaves areas in that defence that can be targeted and exploited, we're the same to be honest but we don't have the experience up front however with what will be available Sunday I just about fancy Kk to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

For anyone intending to travel, Ardán de Grás is already sold out.

For anyone intending to travel, Ardán de Grás is already sold out.

I have been putting off buying mine alright until I know who or what I am bringing :D and I have already gotten three emails today from county boards, supporters club and my own club telling me to buy them ASAP as they are selling out fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

That's fair enough I wouldn't expect us to agree especially on Tipp players. I agree there is no full back that looks truly comfortable these days. I personally don't think Alan Flynn is the answer to your corner back issue. Admittedly I haven't seen a huge amount of him however what I saw on Saturday night would definitely concern me. When things were tight he was really good as any corner back should be but he was very shaky and didn't do a good job when his man dragged him around which Lim did plenty of in the first half and only sparingly there after. That's just my opinion I'm sure he has the hurling to improve but I wouldn't be happy with him, much as I'm not the biggest fan of Paddy Deegan but he's improving game on game and I'm sure Alan can do the same but will either improve enough? Likewise Mickey Cahill is great in the tight and is definitely more assured when it gets a bit looser but still not amazing although he does seem to be getting back to where he was which would be a massive step for ye. I think ye'll have a good half back line with who ye have available but Maher needs to marshall them which I'm sure he does.

I think Ronan Maher has proven he can handle midfield and Cathal Barrett could even be put back in there, he didn't do much wrong that I saw. I think in the forwards if everyone is fit Michael Ryan will have a nice headache of finding the right 6 to blend together out of John McGrath, Noel McGrath, Bonner Maher, Bubbles, Jason Forde, Sheamie Callanan we're already at 7 and we haven't mentioned any of the lads who've played so well in the League when given the chance. I think you won't be short of forwards unless the plague strikes Tipperary. For me ye have 3 top class defenders and the rest are good or decent Padraig Maher, Cathal Barrett and Mickey Cahill but that leaves areas in that defence that can be targeted and exploited, we're the same to be honest but we don't have the experience up front however with what will be available Sunday I just about fancy Kk to do it.

Pretty spot on in terms of analysis.
    Tipp really aren't gifted in terms of defenders but it's early days yet.Flynn certainly has pace and hopefully he can add more vision to his game.The Wing back line is certainly a cause for concern.KK will certainly be looking to edge that duel on Sunday and wouldnt be surprised if they do.John Mcgrath is in serious form at the moment so stifling him will see KK win on Sunday i think.A tall order again,but you would have to expect a high scoring encounter again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pretty spot on in terms of analysis.
    Tipp really aren't gifted in terms of defenders but it's early days yet.Flynn certainly has pace and hopefully he can add more vision to his game.The Wing back line is certainly a cause for concern.KK will certainly be looking to edge that duel on Sunday and wouldnt be surprised if they do.John Mcgrath is in serious form at the moment so stifling him will see KK win on Sunday i think.A tall order again,but you would have to expect a high scoring encounter again!

With Tipp its probably more full back line is the relative weak spot. Wing backs you could have any combination of Heffernan, Kennedy, 2 Mahers, Barrett, Bren Maher and those like Feehan, Fox and O'Dwyer who have shown they can have futures there. Personally think that Heffernan, R Maher, P Maher is as good as what's out there so dont have too many concerns on that front. Will take 2 to crowd out TJ though, so unless they're all willing to put in double shifts on Sunday, Kilkenny will likely have some joy there.

Yeah I was talking to someone involved in the planning for the match and they said the League Final in 2013 had a crowd of 21,500 and he was at a meeting with the county board and they were expecting at least the same again, given how ticket sales were going up to Tuesday evening. They can only accommodate 24,000 with the health and safety protocols. I would expect very close to a full house.

The Paddy Grace stand can take 9,500 when full and there is just over 4,000 season ticket holders in the counties involved so it only left 5,000 and change, on sale to the general public.

I'm really looking forward to it now if the atmosphere from the 2013 league final can be reached it will be a memorable game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

TJ and Maher will be a serious battle in the air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement