Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

gobo99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't condone any of these incidents. If someone wants to mention something that happened at a match fair enough. No point derailing kk thread over a few clowns out of thousands that traveled. If someone wants to start a thread on racism in the gaa go ahead.

My apologies gobo, I wasn't aware of your appointment as a mod, congrats and best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

danganabu wrote: »
    My apologies gobo, I wasn't aware of your appointment as a mod, congrats and best of luck with it!!

I wasn't aware of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

... anyway....

Any further word on what the story is with Hogan? Will he be back by late May? Think once he's back the competition for the remaining positions in the forwards will be very good. Hoping Sheehan gets another run and has another good game next week. Aylward is still having awful trouble finishing so needs to improve or he's by no means guaranteed his place once you've Richie, tj, Wally, and fennelly (not an absolute guarantee but you'd assume as summer gets on and he's up to speed he'll be there or thereabouts) there's only two spots really for Sheehan, keoghan, Donnelly, aylward, blanchfield and whoever I'm forgetting to fight for. That's assuming everyone healthy and on form of course but it's not looking bad in that part of the field imo

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭blackwave

... anyway....

Any further word on what the story is with Hogan? Will he be back by late May? Think once he's back the competition for the remaining positions in the forwards will be very good. Hoping Sheehan gets another run and has another good game next week. Aylward is still having awful trouble finishing so needs to improve or he's by no means guaranteed his place once you've Richie, tj, Wally, and fennelly (not an absolute guarantee but you'd assume as summer gets on and he's up to speed he'll be there or thereabouts) there's only two spots really for Sheehan, keoghan, Donnelly, aylward, blanchfield and whoever I'm forgetting to fight for. That's assuming everyone healthy and on form of course but it's not looking bad in that part of the field imo

It's great that we have a bit of depth in the team as we will need it with the increased games in Leinster squad depth is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

... anyway....

Excellent performance Sunday, very impressive. TJ and Mossy Keoghan had unbelievable games in the forawrds, Wally , Sheehan & Donnelly also playing very well. Near perfect performance from Kilkenny, very hard to see any changes going forward. Enda Morrissey was immense wing back, his use of the ball was exempt.

Wexford were very very poor on the day. Seemed to forget the basics that made them a good team, there work rate and intensity dropped and they didn't play well as a team,constantly taking the wrong option when shooting and short passes were turned over a lot of the time. Kilkenny really had there number Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Village87 wrote: »
    Excellent performance Sunday, very impressive. TJ and Mossy Keoghan had unbelievable games in the forawrds, Wally , Sheehan & Donnelly also playing very well. Near perfect performance from Kilkenny, very hard to see any changes going forward. Enda Morrissey was immense wing back, his use of the ball was exempt.

Wexford were very very poor on the day. Seemed to forget the basics that made them a good team, there work rate and intensity dropped and they didn't play well as a team,constantly taking the wrong option when shooting and short passes were turned over a lot of the time. Kilkenny really had there number Sunday.

I suppose the one big plus for us is the fact that these younger lads are now beginning to get some confidence.
    Each game has its own story but the one from sunday is that we wanted the win far more than wexford.
    We still have to iron out some things like in the last 10 mins when we could have taken scores but over played the ball.
    These are only minor but still need sorting. We are in a strong enough position at the moment. The only change probably for sunday will be the inclusion of Fogarty at the expense of James Maher.
    Fogarty was very good when he came on.
    Hopefully Mossy, Sheehan and donnelly continue to improve as they are finding their feet.
    Delighted with delaney and morrissey in the half back line and these two work very well with Cillian in the middle.
    We still have the option of using Lester, blanchfield, scanlon, pat lyng and alan murphy in the forwards.
    You would have to take your hat off to cody as he has turned these lads around but nothing is won yet.
    We will still find it difficult as we've introduced a lot of players in a short space of time but the big thing is that they will continue to improve playing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

It was said to them but they weren't the most reasonable of people
    If they suggested that Lee fulfil a certain "Fast Food Order" as has happened in the past I'd imagine that it was his dad took offence as Lee wouldn't be too fond of the auld work!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

.Each game has its own story but the one from sunday is that we wanted the win far more than wexford.

Nonsense talk.

Prior to Sunday and all the way through the league I was listening to how much Wexford wanted to win the league and get some silverware. Suddenly (after losing), we wanted to win it more.  Ok, anyone with any knowledge of Kilkenny hurling would know a Brian Cody team wants to win Every match they play in. After nearly 20 years, surely all Kilkenny fans know this. But wanted to win it more than Wexford?... How do measure that?... Just because we won, is that it?  I don’t think so. It’s is probably one of GAA greatest clichés.  

Now just because we beat Wexford, which wasn’t a surprise to me, doesn’t mean we should be overly confident of beating Tipperary (which I am now hearing around). The team has been setup to eliminate the sweeper system, which it has now successfully done with our two biggest league wins being against Wexford and Waterford.  Great now we can beat the sweeper system. That should be more of a concern for Davy Fitz and Derek McGrath. Well done management team and players. Now the team has to switch back to beating the traditional style hurling in one week. How easy will that be? Anyone who has coached teams will understand not easy, not impossible either.  I personally enjoy the style of play at the moment, but it is somewhat football based. Whether traditionalists like to hear that or not is another thing. I read somewhere about someone giving out about football and the number of handpasses. Start counting them in hurling now. Anyone count our handpasses on Sunday? 

It is “funny” that less than two months ago, people were calling for the managements head and claiming the production line is broken down.  Those in the know will tell you that there is a serious bunch of players between 17 and 20, although there are concerns after that. Of course those players do need work and that is going on. I understand a lot of people who post here are not in the country and they do have a huge interest and a thirst for updates, but they would have been totally misled by the comments here earlier in the year and last year too. 

One lad I am particularly delighted for is Joey Holden. After the 2016 final, I said he was the best we had in a full back line that day as it was left exposed further up the field. He was also marking their best player on the day. Yet the supporters crucified him the most and probably helped destroy his confidence. He has had a super league with the exception of the Cork game and was involved in one of the bravest management decisions in Kilkenny club history too.  It is interesting watching himself and Paddy Deegan making runs off the ball into the half forward line. I would also have been sceptical of Padraig Walsh at full back. The evidence of the games is making me re-think on this too. There seems to have been method in the apparent madness. 

Looking forward to an interesting tussle on Sunday where the loyal and dedicated Kilkenny fans will be in very early for the Camogie final which will have bit of bite too given the history that has developed between the Cork and Kilkenny recently. 

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

A seriously impressive performance from Kilkenny.
    The workrate was phenomenal given how poor the conditions were.
    Wexford may have looked sluggish,but scoring 1-27 is not what I expected from this team with so many new players.It's going to be a cracking Final.I can see KK building on that performance.Keoghan was particularly impressive.The sideline cut pass to TJ Reid and subsequent offload to Enda Morrissey was the score of the game.May the best team win on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

There's no excuse or justification for what i saw yesterday that's for sure, especially with kids in close proximity

Wexford used to throw very personal rude abuse at DJ Carey when he was hurling heard it myself about his family , also the O Conner brothers Willie, Eddie, over a tragedy in there family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bamayang

Will ye come off yere "I'm so outraged" high horses and go and report it to the guards if it affects you that much, instead of using it as some sort of "our supporters are more civilised than yours" point scoring exercise on an imaginary notice board.

Brilliant win. Brilliant team. Great final ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Nonsense talk.

Prior to Sunday and all the way through the league I was listening to how much Wexford wanted to win the league and get some silverware. Suddenly (after losing), we wanted to win it more.  Ok, anyone with any knowledge of Kilkenny hurling would know a Brian Cody team wants to win Every match they play in. After nearly 20 years, surely all Kilkenny fans know this. But wanted to win it more than Wexford?... How do measure that?... Just because we won, is that it?  I don’t think so. It’s is probably one of GAA greatest clichés.  

Now just because we beat Wexford, which wasn’t a surprise to me, doesn’t mean we should be overly confident of beating Tipperary (which I am now hearing around). The team has been setup to eliminate the sweeper system, which it has now successfully done with our two biggest league wins being against Wexford and Waterford.  Great now we can beat the sweeper system. That should be more of a concern for Davy Fitz and Derek McGrath. Well done management team and players. Now the team has to switch back to beating the traditional style hurling in one week. How easy will that be? Anyone who has coached teams will understand not easy, not impossible either.  I personally enjoy the style of play at the moment, but it is somewhat football based. Whether traditionalists like to hear that or not is another thing. I read somewhere about someone giving out about football and the number of handpasses. Start counting them in hurling now. Anyone count our handpasses on Sunday? 

It is “funny” that less than two months ago, people were calling for the managements head and claiming the production line is broken down.  Those in the know will tell you that there is a serious bunch of players between 17 and 20, although there are concerns after that. Of course those players do need work and that is going on. I understand a lot of people who post here are not in the country and they do have a huge interest and a thirst for updates, but they would have been totally misled by the comments here earlier in the year and last year too. 

One lad I am particularly delighted for is Joey Holden. After the 2016 final, I said he was the best we had in a full back line that day as it was left exposed further up the field. He was also marking their best player on the day. Yet the supporters crucified him the most and probably helped destroy his confidence. He has had a super league with the exception of the Cork game and was involved in one of the bravest management decisions in Kilkenny club history too.  It is interesting watching himself and Paddy Deegan making runs off the ball into the half forward line. I would also have been sceptical of Padraig Walsh at full back. The evidence of the games is making me re-think on this too. There seems to have been method in the apparent madness. 

Looking forward to an interesting tussle on Sunday where the loyal and dedicated Kilkenny fans will be in very early for the Camogie final which will have bit of bite too given the history that has developed between the Cork and Kilkenny recently. 

The possession game really comes unstuck when the opposition team put your team under immense pressure, at that point your team strikes the ball up the field in a less than effective manner than if the team stands off you.
    If Kilkenny's support play continues with lads running off the shoulder then we can reduce that risk. Expect more running as the space and time that the sweeper brings wont be there. Failing this. we can expect 50/50 long balls as our game breaks down and we are playing to the tune of the opposition.

The forced sweeper system suits kilkenny in my opinion: Buckley and Walsh are great readers of the game and are excellent at manage their positioning to mop up ball. The forwards and are hard working as we saw on Sunday, when they work this hard collectively, the impact of the opposition sweeper is greatly reduced. Walter Walsh tracking back for vast periods and then crops up for a goal
    The midfield are running themselves into the ground and popping up for scores from distance.

The cross field ball is effective, taking sweeper/centre back out of the game.

With the running game and with this of all years, 2018 will require a full Kilkenny Squad of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Tickets for Sunday are €30. That's a bit expensive, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

25 quid if by in advance in Supervalu/Centra

I have been to Cork, Wexford & Waterford and at all of Kilkennys home games in the league this year. 30 euro is expensive with 2 adults and 2 kids. Might sit this one out in front of the TV.

Any news on Club games, i love getting in the club matches after the league and Championship? will there be 2 rounds be played after the league ? Break from the inter county set up will surely do the players good. After playing a lot of intense matches now and loads more left in May/June. Few weeks break might freshen them up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

When the league final is over, it's 5 weeks until the first round match of the Leinster Championship against Dublin on May 13th yeah?

When the league final is over, it's 5 weeks until the first round match of the Leinster Championship against Dublin on May 13th yeah?

Yaah thats right

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I have been to Cork, Wexford & Waterford and at all of Kilkennys home games in the league this year. 30 euro is expensive with 2 adults and 2 kids. Might sit this one out in front of the TV.

Any news on Club games, i love getting in the club matches after the league and Championship? will there be 2 rounds be played after the league ? Break from the inter county set up will surely do the players good. After playing a lot of intense matches now and loads more left in May/June. Few weeks break might freshen them up

The first round is on the weekend of April 14th/15th. I think there is another round on the following weekend too, but not fully confirmed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Well there is two National Finals on so i think it's fair enough, don't forget our girls and get in and support them! And as another poster said it's really only 25 euro when you buy in advance.

Got one for the Ardainn the grace for 25euro this afternoon in super value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Comerman

Well there is two National Finals on so i think it's fair enough, don't forget our girls and get in and support them! And as another poster said it's really only 25 euro when you buy in advance.
    I've no problem paying 25e but think it's wrong to have to pay the same for my 17yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Comerman wrote: »
    I've no problem paying 25e but think it's wrong to have to pay the same for my 17yo.

Could he/she not be '16' for the day? Do they check what age a junenile is at the gate? It's €5 for 16 year olds I think.

Is it unreserved seating guys or is their assigned seat numbers?

Is it unreserved seating guys or is their assigned seat numbers?

Unreserved

Could he/she not be '16' for the day? Do they check what age a junenile is at the gate? It's €5 for 16 year olds I think.

The fecker is 6'2" and you can only see him from the chin down at the turnstiles, he got challenged before by a grumpy ould git so too nervous now. Even 10 or 15 wouldn't be too bad for juveniles.

Comerman wrote: »

The fecker is 6'2" and you can only see him from the chin down at the turnstiles, he got challenged before by a grumpy ould git so too nervous now. Even 10 or 15 wouldn't be too bad for juveniles.
    Let him hop the stile and sit on your lap.

Let him hop the stile and sit on your lap.
    I'd see fekall then, I may leave him at home unless he gets a job in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭robwen

Anthony Daly on allianz league Sunday said he'd love to be winning the league & be going to Australia in November, what's that about?

robwen wrote: »
    Anthony Daly on allianz league Sunday said he'd love to be winning the league & be going to Australia in November, what's that about?

League Champions will play Galway in Australia next November

• Advertisement

League Champions will play Galway in Australia next November

Jaysus, if you thought Galway complained too much about having to play their matches in Leinster...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement