Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I think Kilkenny beating Tipperary a month ago by just a point is not significant in guessing the outcome of the game. As Brian Cody said today a few of these games could have gone either way. I can't comment on bookies' odds at all but I am confident Kilkenny will win based on the semi final performances and the amount of players Tipperary still don't have especially up front. If Tipperary keep hitting high ball into the Kilkenny backs as they did with Limerick they could get a good beating.

Maybe Limerick are better than what you're giving them credit for?we were far from full strength ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

lim4ev wrote: »
    Maybe Limerick are better than what you're giving them credit for?we were far from full strength ourselves

Think Limerick will have a serious say in this season's Championship, their first game at home to Tipp will probably be the pivotal game for their season. Felt their decision making and shot selection in regulation time cost them the game on Saturday but you would imagine that will improve with experience.

Who of the Na Piarsaigh contingent do you see coming straight into the team? Would imagine Peter Casey in the corner ahead of Barry Murphy, Ronan Lynch at wing back maybe instead of Dan Morrissey, can't see a starting role for Shane Dowling now that ye have a reliable free taker in Gillane who contributes more from open play than Dowling would.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Think Limerick will have a serious say in this season's Championship, their first game at home to Tipp will probably be the pivotal game for their season. Felt their decision making and shot selection in regulation time cost them the game on Saturday but you would imagine that will improve with experience.

Who of the Na Piarsaigh contingent do you see coming straight into the team? Would imagine Peter Casey in the corner ahead of Barry Murphy, Ronan Lynch at wing back maybe instead of Dan Morrissey, can't see a starting role for Shane Dowling now that ye have a reliable free taker in Gillane who contributes more from open play than Dowling would.

Ronan lynch will be doing well to make match day panel unless I'm seriously mistaken possibly Mike casey to 3 and move hickey to wing back at this stage instead of Byrnes who's killing us with crazy shooting think dowling might start for his long range frees then casey a guarantee with possibly Dempsey for half forward we,re progressing and learning if we could get a little of the Kilkenny craft it'd help us no end as it seems they'll tackle as Kilkenny do.

From a neutral point of view I think it'll be a great game next week Kilkenny will not lack belief but tipp have so many options up front but have issues at back that can be got at but having been at match in thurles and watching the match yesterday you'd have to favour tipp but far from a cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

lim4ev wrote: »

I was referring more to Tipp's style of play against Limerick than necessarily the standard of the opposition. But to be honest I thought Limerick were not great with quite a few players with poor skill levels and poor accuracy. They stayed in the game through doggedness and couldn't get ahead. Though I did like their directness some of the shooting they tried was madness. They will improve no doubt but if Tipperary concede that much possession to a better team they will be in trouble.

I have Tipperary at number 3 in Munster and Limerick might well get to number 2. But they are a work in progress.

It is fair to say too that Wexford were poor enough against Kilkenny and maybe Kilkenny will be tested more than people imagine in the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The sensation

laneykin wrote: »
    Agree completely on the organisation being shocking. Not nearly enough turnstiles open to let people in and no sign of a steward once we were inside the grounds.

Also found the Wexford crowd to be very hostile before, during and after the match. No banter or chatting at all like you would have with other counties.

Hostile is strong, personally have no time for banter or chatting with strangers at matches just want to enjoy the game and some lad who wont just let you read your programe and wants to make conversation gets annoying quickly. I also find most of the banter merchants are not as funny as they like to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I was referring more to Tipp's style of play against Limerick than necessarily the standard of the opposition. But to be honest I thought Limerick were not great with quite a few players with poor skill levels and poor accuracy. They stayed in the game through doggedness and couldn't get ahead. Though I did like their directness some of the shooting they tried was madness. They will improve no doubt but if Tipperary concede that much possession to a better team they will be in trouble.

I have Tipperary at number 3 in Munster and Limerick might well get to number 2. But they are a work in progress.

It is fair to say too that Wexford were poor enough against Kilkenny and maybe Kilkenny will be tested more than people imagine in the immediate future.

Number 3 in Munster!! Hilarious stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Rasputin11 wrote: »

Don't bite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No.4 if and when Limerick get to 2 don’t forget. Just as well for Tipp supporters to have the football in this time of need.

You could have just said you disagree instead of going for the big dramatic "hilarious". Tipperary have lost every game that they could have lost since the 2016 All Ireland final - League final v Galway, championship v Cork, and All Ireland semi final. They have to play Limerick away and Cork at home in their first two games and are quite capable of losing both.

No.4 if and when Limerick get to 2 don’t forget.

Well, yes, or even number 5 if someone else gets to number 3. Then again maybe Tipperary will get to number 2 themselves who knows? It's gas the tricking around that you can do with the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

You could have just said you disagree instead of going for the big dramatic "hilarious". Tipperary have lost every game that they could have lost since the 2016 All Ireland final - League final v Galway, championship v Cork, and All Ireland semi final. They have to play Limerick away and Cork at home in their first two games and are quite capable of losing both.

Your powers of analysis are wasted online.

Your powers of analysis are wasted online.

In fairness, your detailed replies with evidence-based counter arguments deserve a wider audience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Be curious to hear other posters experiences down there today. Thought the organisation both at and outside the ground was shocking!

Very few stewards outside to advise supporters. At the side of the ground we were entering there was no signage to indicate which gate for season tickets. There was four styles but only three open and when we got to the styles realised why it was so slow because the two guys in the ticket office were also operating the styles on each side of them.

Then afterwards not a guard to be seen directing traffic. The part of the county we live in the usual travel time to Wexford would be an hour obviously you have to allow a bit extra for match day traffic but it tooks us three hours to get home. Piss up and brewery spring to mind. Thank f*** we won!

Yeah - agree completely with you there, in particular with trying to navigate the traffic chaos after the match - not a steward or Gárda in sight and a lot of extremely angry motorists giving out about the diabolical organisation of assisting motorists/supporters of both Wexford and Kilkenny to find a way out of the traffic blockade - disgraceful.

Wexford County Board: put a bit of the money being paid to Davy into getting Gárda and stewards out on the roads after these matches - a ticket sell-out according to the announcer. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Always look after the customer, i.e. the supporters, first. Neglect them at your peril.

And well done to Brian Cody and his backroom team - they had their homework done, and the players were a credit to Kilkenny hurling -thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Maybe get Davy to direct traffic after the match for an hour or so, at least that way he'd be earning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

laneykin Agree completely on the organisation being shocking. Not nearly enough turnstiles open to let people in and no sign of a steward once we were inside the grounds.

Also found the Wexford crowd to be very hostile before, during and after the match. No banter or chatting at all like you would have with other counties.

1st time poster lads....

Worst thing I seen in the crowd yesterday was some distasteful stuff been said by group of 5 kk supportets some about the lad wearing no12 for Wexford, come to your own conclusions. There was alot of kids sitting close to these people and didn't set good example to say the least they also consistently booed anytime we were taking a scorable free.to be far there only a very small manority some kk supporters sitting behind were very unimpressed with there antics.

Goes without saying the far better team won yesterday, no mad science to it ye simply outworked us. We looked tired and heavy legged but doesn't take away from your impressive display.

Heard stoires to about disorganisation yesterday I'm lucky to be living walking distance from the ground, I was in the covered stand myself but expecting people to pay €20 for a terrace ticket didn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

1st time poster lads....

Worst thing I seen in the crowd yesterday was some distasteful stuff been said by group of 5 kk supportets some about the lad wearing no12 for Wexford, come to your own conclusions. There was alot of kids sitting close to these people and didn't set good example to say the least they also consistently booed anytime we were taking a scorable free.to be far there only a very small manority some kk supporters sitting behind were very unimpressed with there antics.

Goes without saying the far better team won yesterday, no mad science to it ye simply outworked us. We looked tired and heavy legged but doesn't take away from your impressive display.

Heard stoires to about disorganisation yesterday I'm lucky to be living walking distance from the ground, I was in the covered stand myself but expecting people to pay €20 for a terrace ticket didn't seem right.

I’d be very unimpressed if I saw those antics from KK supporters too, taking it too far.

The incidents we had actually happened in the town before the match. We tried to head into a pub to get a drink before going to the park and had the door of the pub slammed in our faces by a woman in a Wexford jersey who told us they weren’t open, even though they were. A man working there came out shortly after and said they were open the last hour just not for those in Kilkenny gear and could we not take the hint.

I’d be very unimpressed if I saw those antics from KK supporters too, taking it too far.

The incidents we had actually happened in the town before the match. We tried to head into a pub to get a drink before going to the park and had the door of the pub slammed in our faces by a woman in a Wexford jersey who told us they weren’t open, even though they were. A man working there came out shortly after and said they were open the last hour just not for those in Kilkenny gear and could we not take the hint.

Likewise childish behaviour from those Wexford folk, no harm in harmless banter but that's pure petty stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

Wouldn't be supprised with that

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Wouldn't be supprised with that
    Relations of mine living in the town had two cars scratched in recent years.Common denominator was KK plates!! Bitterness is V deep .As may be on another downward spiral as Their shining light Sean Murphy was redundant Yday with KK playing through the lines and using Diagonal balls from MF up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭kksaints

Which pub was this? If it was Heffernans you were lucky you didnt go inside!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Relations of mine living in the town had two cars scratched in recent years.Common denominator was KK plates!! Bitterness is V deep .As may be on another downward spiral as Their shining light Sean Murphy was redundant Yday with KK playing through the lines and using Diagonal balls from MF up.

Another thing that was noticeable was the speed with which Eoin Murphy got the game restarted before Wexford could reset. But since Kilkenny don't do tactics he must have just been in a hurry to get home to watch the football!😂

Any taughts on the racist remarks from some kk supporters I mentioned earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Any taughts on the racist remarks from some kk supporters I mentioned earlier?
    If by "taughts" you mean "teachings" I'll state that even the most fundamentalist religions condemn it .Therefore as a wishy washy believer I'm not that gone on racism- like most Kilkenny people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

Is that the hurler that threw a hurl into the stand in Nowlan park in the Walsh cup final lucky that day it was wet nobody was sitting out in front.

Is that the hurler that threw a hurl into the stand in Nowlan park in the Walsh cup final lucky that day it was wet nobody was sitting out in front.

There's no excuse or justification for what i saw yesterday that's for sure, especially with kids in close proximity

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

There's no excuse or justification for what i saw yesterday that's for sure, especially with kids in close proximity
    Did you say anything at the time or did you just decide you'd tell some strangers on the internet.

gobo99 wrote: »
    Did you say anything at the time or did you just decide you'd tell some strangers on the internet.

It was said to them but they weren't the most reasonable of people

It was said to them but they weren't the most reasonable of people
    Well that's all you could do in the absence of stewards. No point coming on here going on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

gobo99 wrote: »
    Well that's all you could do in the absence of stewards. No point coming on here going on about it.

This is a discussion board is it not?? Just because you dont like the topic doesnt mean it should be ignored, I'm curious as to why you havent taken a similar stance on the two incidents mentioned aove that portrayed Wexford fans in an ill light or is that ok??

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    This is a discussion board is it not?? Just because you dont like the topic doesnt mean it should be ignored, I'm curious as to why you havent taken a similar stance on the two incidents mentioned aove that portrayed Wexford fans in an ill light or is that ok??
    I wouldn't condone any of these incidents. If someone wants to mention something that happened at a match fair enough. No point derailing kk thread over a few clowns out of thousands that traveled. If someone wants to start a thread on racism in the gaa go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement