Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free iPad mini 2 with Sunday Times subscription (18 months)

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I'm near the end of my annual subscription at 8 euro a month. Do they contact you at end of 12 months or simply roll it to higher rate if you don't take action?

Hoping they'll contact me and I can get another 12 months at 8 euro. Is that wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm near the end of my annual subscription at 8 euro a month. Do they contact you at end of 12 months or simply roll it to higher rate if you don't take action?

Hoping they'll contact me and I can get another 12 months at 8 euro. Is that wishful thinking?
    No AFAIK/remember you have to contact customer care,or else it rolls on, might be wrong but from what I remember that's it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's great news! Thanks for that. I'm well over 24 moths now though, and it has just sat gathering dust since it broke.

There is no such thing as the "24 month consumer law warranty". There is protection afforded by the Sale of Goods Act, but it is between you and the seller, I.e. the Times. This allows you to claim up to 6 years. OP got lucky with Apple, there is no onus on them to do anything outside 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

whiterebel wrote: »
    There is no such thing as the "24 month consumer law warranty". There is protection afforded by the Sale of Goods Act, but it is between you and the seller, I.e. the Times. This allows you to claim up to 6 years. OP got lucky with Apple, there is no onus on them to do anything outside 12 months.

IIRC EU directive is 2 years minimum warranty for faulty goods. Also, according to Apple, Irish consumer law requires them to repair for 6 years - https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/ where faulty.

Not sure what the situation is where you're not the original purchaser tho.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

IIRC EU directive is 2 years minimum warranty for faulty goods. Also, according to Apple, Irish consumer law requires them to repair for 6 years - https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/ where faulty.

The 2 years was never enacted in Ireland. We had better coverage with the Sale of good act, so we didn't need to enact the part of the directive which gave lesser coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The 2 years was never enacted in Ireland. We had better coverage with the Sale of good act, so we didn't need to enact the part of the directive which gave lesser coverage.

I didn't know that. I've quoted the 24 month thing directly with manufacturers successfully a few times (HTC, Acer, and Asus). Although now that you mention it, Dell sent an engineer out to replace the screen on a laptop I had that was well over 24 months old. They initiated it too, I wasn't bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

It's a grey area I think - only for the fact I had the dispatch notification from Apple to my email address, Apple wouldn't have accepted the service request. Sunday Times had no documents or proofs of purchase at all, let alone one they could match directly to my ipad.

OP got lucky with Apple, there is no onus on them to do anything outside 12 months.

there is an onus on them if there was an inherent fault with the device. Apple checked the device, found that there was a fault, and replaced it under consumer law. No luck involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

ablelocks wrote: »
    there is an onus on them if there was an inherent fault with the device. Apple checked the device, found that there was a fault, and replaced it under consumer law. No luck involved.

Consumer Law covers the consumer who buys the product from their retailer.

This was a gift from The Times for taking out a subscription. You can’t claim consumer law on a gift you have received.

Apple are liable under consumer law if the customer buys the product for personal use directly from them.

This iPad was bought by The Times as a business purchase.

The person in question didn’t buy the iPad from Apple. So yes, they were very lucky to have it covered by Apple as a consumer law claim against them.

I don't think Apple as a company take luck into account when responding to customers, even indirect ones. I had a faulty product, they replaced it within 4 working days.

I posted the detail of how my case was handled in case it may help other people who may find themselves in a similar situation. There was no argument or questioning from Apple about warranty or law - they accepted my request, checked the device and replaced it. (I'm sorry now I mentioned anything about warranty or law - I should have known it'd attract the legal experts...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

ablelocks wrote: »
    I don't think Apple as a company take luck into account when responding to customers, even indirect ones. I had a faulty product, they replaced it within 4 working days.

I posted the detail of how my case was handled in case it may help other people who may find themselves in a similar situation. There was no argument or questioning from Apple about warranty or law - they accepted my request, checked the device and replaced it. (I'm sorry now I mentioned anything about warranty or law - I should have known it'd attract the legal experts...)

You got lucky with the person you dealt with because of how they handled the claim incorrectly. You mention Apple as a company not taking luck into account. Of course they don’t but you were dealing with an individual. And like any company in the world you’re going to have people do things differently despite correct procedure. It’s human nature.

Nobody has a problem with you getting the iPad replaced for free. Any normal human being would be happy for someone in that situation. So fair play to you.

My post was to correct wrong information posted by the person I replied to. I’m not claiming to be a legal expert but this is something that I’m more than familiar with and in the interest of fairness on others who may have the same situation in future, I felt the need to clear it up. To avoid disappointment if someone tries to fails to make a consumer law claim against someone they didn’t buy the product from.

:-)

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You got lucky with the person you dealt with because of how they handled the claim incorrectly. You mention Apple as a company not taking luck into account. Of course they don’t but you were dealing with an individual. And like any company in the world you’re going to have people do things differently despite correct procedure. It’s human nature.

Nobody has a problem with you getting the iPad replaced for free. Any normal human being would be happy for someone in that situation. So fair play to you.

My post was to correct wrong information posted by the person I replied to. I’m not claiming to be a legal expert but this is something that I’m more than familiar with and in the interest of fairness on others who may have the same situation in future, I felt the need to clear it up. To avoid disappointment if someone tries to fails to make a consumer law claim against someone they didn’t buy the product from.

you actually replied to me? I didn't post "wrong information" - I posted information that was correct in my case and may be useful to others. There's nothing to clear up, I posted a set of steps that worked for me. They may or may not work for others, but to say I posted wrong or incorrect information? pffftt

unless you work for Apple, how do you know the person I spoke to handled the claim incorrectly? How do you know they didn't follow correct (Apple) procedure? Perhaps Apple have a standard operating procedure for handling indirect customers?

anyway, I'm done. I hope the info is of use to someone.

Advertisement