Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whats the deal with paying UK VAT and Irish VAT- is it possible for a consumer to reclaim (one or the other)? It just isn't feasible to buy anything much- if you end up paying a second whack of tax on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can try UK revenue. Revenue in Ireland have to collect VAT on arrival in to the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

Whats the deal with paying UK VAT and Irish VAT- is it possible for a consumer to reclaim (one or the other)? It just isn't feasible to buy anything much- if you end up paying a second whack of tax on it.

Some UK companies if you contact could be nice, and sell you VAT free.

One company I get boxes made from in the UK said they can sell me VAT free if I just also include my VAT/PPS for their accountant.

That way I only pay Irish VAT on "import"

Most though, don't give a hell, hence us needing to use AddressPal.
    So you're buying in the UK, and shipping to the UK; hence paying UK vat.

Then you're paying AddressPal to import the item to Ireland, and by law it's subject to Irish VAT.

That's how we get double dipped sadly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It shouldn't be difficult for the UK companies. When they were part of the EU they had to take VAT off if you were registered for Vat. Its even simpler for them now, if its for export, just take VAT off. Putting a UK Addresspal address on it, though, will throw them until the end of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

So I'm having a bit of trouble with addresspal uk and us.

I tried contacting anpost's Twitter, and adddresspal direct by phone (got through after a long wait but no use in helping and refused to give me an email address to send images of my items and tracking details to), but I am hitting brick wall.

1. In relation to the first US package (USPS tracking 9400108205497737815352) it appears they tried to deliver it on the 9th of jan (a saturday) and since then the tracking saying "awaiting delivery scan". I assume this means there was no one to sign for it and it was returned to the post office. Now I asked the lady if there is a protocol for the us office to follow up and collect failed delivery,but she said she didnt know. In any event 6 days later the tracking hasn't changed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Contrast this with another us package (9405508205496129494529) which was out for delivery on the 15th of jan,co formed delivered on the 15th of jan.

2. on my uk package, based on concerns of a friend of mine who had been using the service problem free until he was hit with a crazy valuation, I tried asking the lady if I could send the link to the ebay auction I won so whoever is valuing it would.know it was only 31 pounds (incase the sender didnt include a printout). She said I couldnt email a link. She also told me address pal wouldnt charge the customs and vat, that the irish revenue would do this after it lands in ireland, which I know from my friend, posts on facebook, and comments on here, is total BS.

Astounding the person on the actual helpline would not only give out such incorrect info, but also would refuse to entertain being challenged on it based on the actual testimony of my friend and dozens of people online.

Has anyone successfully received a refund of significantly overcharged cat / customers based ona ridiculous valuation, and if so was it easy / difficult when you emailed that ecommcharge email address, in case this happens to me?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It is Revenue that collects import taxes after parcels land in Ireland from the relevant customs agent (An Post in this case) and the customs agent subsequently collects this (plus their admin fee) from you.

However it is AddressPal's responsibility to place correctly filled-out customs forms on everything they process, with the CORRECT valuations. This is where things have gone astray...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

Quackster wrote: »
    It is Revenue that collects import taxes after parcels land in Ireland from the relevant customs agent (An Post in this case) and the customs agent subsequently collects this (plus their admin fee) from you.

However it is AddressPal's responsibility to place correctly filled-out customs forms on everything they process, with the CORRECT valuations. This is where things have gone astray...

Ok but surely they shouldnt be refusing my evidence of genuine cost in advance rather than putting it through wrong and then the time and hassle and cost for everyone of trying to sort it after the fact, if that is even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

BoboDub wrote: »
    So I'm having a bit of trouble with addresspal uk and us.

I tried contacting anpost's Twitter, and adddresspal direct by phone (got through after a long wait but no use in helping and refused to give me an email address to send images of my items and tracking details to), but I am hitting brick wall.

1. In relation to the first US package (USPS tracking 9400108205497737815352) it appears they tried to deliver it on the 9th of jan (a saturday) and since then the tracking saying "awaiting delivery scan". I assume this means there was no one to sign for it and it was returned to the post office. Now I asked the lady if there is a protocol for the us office to follow up and collect failed delivery,but she said she didnt know. In any event 6 days later the tracking hasn't changed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Contrast this with another us package (9405508205496129494529) which was out for delivery on the 15th of jan,co formed delivered on the 15th of jan.

2. on my uk package, based on concerns of a friend of mine who had been using the service problem free until he was hit with a crazy valuation, I tried asking the lady if I could send the link to the ebay auction I won so whoever is valuing it would.know it was only 31 pounds (incase the sender didnt include a printout). She said I couldnt email a link. She also told me address pal wouldnt charge the customs and vat, that the irish revenue would do this after it lands in ireland, which I know from my friend, posts on facebook, and comments on here, is total BS.

Astounding the person on the actual helpline would not only give out such incorrect info, but also would refuse to entertain being challenged on it based on the actual testimony of my friend and dozens of people online.

Has anyone successfully received a refund of significantly overcharged cat / customers based ona ridiculous valuation, and if so was it easy / difficult when you emailed that ecommcharge email address, in case this happens to me?

Cheers!

Revenue will charge... based on the valuation provided by Addresspal. If there is no valuation when arrives in Ireland they send the addressee a letter asking to email them how much it cost. So basically shes saying no you can't tell them how much it cost, we decide it, which obviously shouldn't be the case. Eg you could have bought a faulty laptop, they could base valuation on assuming its a fully working laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

TimHorton wrote: »
    Addresspal US has just done me a favour - The have valued my parcel at $100 , I paid 4 times that and the US price is now 7 times that, The Euro price for the same items is well over 1000 Euro

Did you recieve the parcel Tom or did AP email you looking for VAT+ duties or do AP just automatically deduct all charges from your registered card. I'm waiting 6 days for the to check my parcel in but just want to know what to expect after they finally check it in a couple of days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Amazon order delivered to AP on Thursday Jan. 7th finally got checked in this morning. Package is undervalued slightly so no complaints there :D

Mine was delivered by Amazon on the 6th of Jan, still nothing and no response from An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Car99 wrote: »
    Did you recieve the parcel Tom or did AP email you looking for VAT+ duties or do AP just automatically deduct all charges from your registered card. I'm waiting 6 days for the to check my parcel in but just want to know what to expect after they finally check it in a couple of days time.

The parcel was delivered to AddressPal US Last Monday, Yesterday I got an email from AddressPal with subject Line "Your AddressPal Item has been received" , The email has my home address and the AddressPal shipping charge which is €41.99 as it weighs 14kg, They take this payment automatically.

The Items shows up on the Addresspal site where CUSTOMS DECLARATION
    (May be opened officially) CN23 form that AnPost completed has been attached, It shows the "Valuation" and the shipping charge of €41.99, It has the regular Tracking Infomation which is live on the AnPost Website and current status is "14:05 on 16 January 2021,We have your post in NEW JERSEY 07726, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA",

So in a few days I am expecting another email with "Customs charge due to be paid" Hi Customer, You are receiving this email as your item has arrived into Ireland from outside the EU and therefore Irish Revenue have applied Customs charges.

Once I pay all that is left is waiting for delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Addresspal US has just done me a favour - The have valued my parcel at $100 , I paid 4 times that and the US price is now 7 times that, The Euro price for the same items is well over 1000 Euro

I wouldn't be going around blowing about underdeclaring tax as it's against the law.

It's your responsibility to make sure you pay the correct vat / tax so like the people that got overcharged have to contact revenue you actually have to contact them aswell.

Revenue don't accept "but it wasn't my fault"

I actually emailed AddressPal the Invoice details a week ago as Homedepot told me they do not include Invoice in packing, It's all in good faith, I am willing to pay what I owe, Hands Up , You now what during the boom I went to the US every year with my Wife and Kids and brought home on average 6 or 7 23kg Suitcases full of Clothes Bedding Tools etc etc ,Just like 1000's of other people , Customs at Dublin/Shannon Airport did not give a damn.....My sister is living the US for 30 years and has sent countless items in the post all marked as "Kids Toy" Value $15 , Never an issue ,

I know and people do it all the time. But this one has a paper trail. As you paid vat but at a lower amount. Just giving you heads up, as you don't know who is on here.

And as I said I have made every effort to notify AddressPal of the correct amount, I can do no more.

U can contact the collection agency which is An post. You can contact revenue and tell them your situation. That's if you want to actually pay.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

U can contact the collection agency which is An post. You can contact revenue and tell them your situation. That's if you want to actually pay.
    It hasn't actually reached Ireland yet by the sounds of it so there's every possibility that Revenue will inspect the package and put their own valuation on it, rather than accept the valuation AddressPal has given it.

Quackster wrote: »
    It hasn't actually reached Ireland yet by the sounds of it so there's every possibility that Revenue will inspect the package and put their own valuation on it, rather than accept the valuation AddressPal has given it.
    What if AddressPal collects Duty before it lands in Ireland, Took 3 days for my UK Parcel to leave Heathrow AFTER I paid the Duty on it last week,

What if AddressPal collects Duty before it lands in Ireland, Took 3 days for my UK Parcel to leave Heathrow AFTER I paid the Duty on it last week,

An Post do the clearance after it arrives.

My addresspal item checked in after almost 2 weeks since it was delviered, and like others said, was overvalued on the customs form. Valued at almost 50% more than actually paid.

spix wrote: »
    My addresspal item checked in after almost 2 weeks since it was delviered, and like others said, was overvalued on the customs form. Valued at almost 50% more than actually paid.

The reality is here if there is no invoice in the parcel, AnPost who are owned by the state are essentially making false declarations that affect the Tax revenue of the state. Surely AnPost/Revenue are aware of this and are just nodding it through and they will deal with any individuals who look for a refund.

An Post make no false declarations. They have an agent in the US who do their work for them. There is no profit in this for An Post, and I really doubt Revenue want to go around chasing after refunds for a few euro.

Mod - Be careful with the allegations you make here, this isn't an open house to say what you like. We don't know who watches this site, but would have a good idea.

• Advertisement

The reality is here if there is no invoice in the parcel, AnPost who are owned by the state are essentially making false declarations that affect the Tax revenue of the state. Surely AnPost/Revenue are aware of this and are just nodding it through and they will deal with any individuals who look for a refund.

I feel there was an invoice. The parcel contained 3 items. All 3 declared separately on the customs form. 2 were exactly the same price that I paid, 1 was significantly higher.

Btw this is about the new UK valuations post brexit not US.

whiterebel wrote: »
    An Post make no false declarations. They have an agent in the US who do their work for them. There is no profit in this for An Post, and I really doubt Revenue want to go around chasing after refunds for a few euro.

Mod - Be careful with the allegations you make here, this isn't an open house to say what you like. We don't know who watches this site, but would have a good idea.

Nonsense ,I am using Addresspal - If they outsource to an unnamed agent that is on them, I have used AddressPal twice and on both occasions the Valuation that they had used was a pure guess, Maybe these valuations are legally valid. Who knows. It could be argued goods are no longer new after they are opened by Addresspal and this impacts valuation.

spix wrote: »
    I feel there was an invoice. The parcel contained 3 items. All 3 declared separately on the customs form. 2 were exactly the same price that I paid, 1 was significantly higher.

Btw this is about the new UK valuations post brexit not US.

Addresspal UK/US behaving in the same manner, ie. Plucking Valuations from thin air and entering them in a legal document, I have used Addresspal twice, 1 US and 1 UK - Both have had false valuations (I have Material Evidence) added to the customs declaration.

Mod - warning to TimHorton. Keep going and it's a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

Had an item delivered to AP on 6-Jan and just got an email to say that they’ve received it this morning, 14 Jan.

As someone else stated, they actually under valued my item. It was a 100GBP camera and they stated that the value was 59.60GBP... No idea where they got that number because there was no invoice in the package from what the sender tells me. The worrying thing is that it could’ve gone the other way and they could’ve valued it much higher and then I would’ve had the hassle of having the pay the higher import fees and claim back.

Going to try avoid buying from the UK until AnPost get a better valuation process in place. I don’t want to have to take the risk gain.

Hey mate, curious what you had to pay in terms of charges on top of the standard AP fee for this? I have ordered 2 things on eBay UK for £83 and £68, not sure what I will have to pay on them.

Hey mate, curious what you had to pay in terms of charges on top of the standard AP fee for this? I have ordered 2 things on eBay UK for £83 and £68, not sure what I will have to pay on them.

Its 21% of whatever value addresspal think your items are + 3.50 admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

For anyone waiting on pre-Christmas AP stuff - listed at AP Heathrow 17/12/210, delivered to me 13/01/21.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I had some shoes that were delivered into Hatfield on the 8th of Jan. I've heard nothing yet, when do you think I should start chasing? Apologies and thanks in advance for any advice, it's my first time using AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ordered somethin from uk usin addresspal to apw address in hatfield. Dpd uk says it got delivered there on 8th. Still no sign of it on addresspal end of things. Anyone any ideas what might be the hold up. And please dont tell me they musplaced it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

tedpan wrote: »
    I had some shoes that were delivered into Hatfield on the 8th of Jan. I've heard nothing yet, when do you think I should start chasing? Apologies and thanks in advance for any advice, it's my first time using AP.
    Mine got delivered same day as to same place as yours im in the same boat as u except its not shoes ha ha

Advertisement