Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Ordered somethin from uk usin addresspal to apw address in hatfield. Dpd uk says it got delivered there on 8th. Still no sign of it on addresspal end of things. Anyone any ideas what might be the hold up. And please dont tell me they musplaced it

1st timer user also , My Item was delivered on the 6th and I was notified on 11th by Addresspal.

Good news! Your AddressPal item has been received, and your item will be delivered to the following address:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Cheers guys, it must be a backlog due to the new system. I can wait with less worry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

You wouldn't mind waiting 2 weeks or so to get your item if you knew it was getting done properly. But after 2 weeks wait and then to find out they valued your item like it was made of bitcoin is a bit disappointing to tell you the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

You wouldn't mind waiting 2 weeks or so to get your item if you knew it was getting done properly. But after 2 weeks wait and then to find out they valued your item like it was made of bitcoin is a bit disappointing to tell you the truth.

Is there any sort of appeals process or do you just have to pay whatever value they come up with?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is there any sort of appeals process or do you just have to pay whatever value they come up with?

Go back through the thread 2 or 3 pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭5star02707

tedpan wrote: »
    I had some shoes that were delivered into Hatfield on the 8th of Jan. I've heard nothing yet, when do you think I should start chasing? Apologies and thanks in advance for any advice, it's my first time using AP.
    Ordered somethin from uk usin addresspal to apw address in hatfield. Dpd uk says it got delivered there on 8th. Still no sign of it on addresspal end of things. Anyone any ideas what might be the hold up. And please dont tell me they musplaced it
    Mine was delivered by Amazon on the 6th of Jan, still nothing and no response from An Post.

Alright here's my experience on this.

Won ebay auctions (2 used shoes)
    Ordered 2 UK delivery address (home delivery)
    1 order arrived on 30th December 2020 while the other 1 arrived on 31st December.

31st December delivery was processed in UK hub on 9th January and delivered to my door on 11 January. This delivery i had to pay VAT, An Post valued my order more than 22 Euro paid (VAT + 3.50 an post fee + 6.50 addresspal fee)

30th December delivery was processed late in UK hub (14 January) and delivered to my door today 18 January 2021. This delivery i did not have to pay customs (only 6.50 addresspal fee) they valued my item below 22euro

it is definitely a hit if you use AddressPal they will determine the value of your order if there isn't a proper customs declaration on it.

I would definitely avoid ordering from the UK at the moment until they sort everything out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seems to be taking a week for items in the US to arrive here (aka its now faster to order from the US than it is the UK.......)
    Reasonably happy with the service, despite the improbably high valuation associated with my ukulele etc...........

Bought another 17.3" laptop from the States on ebay today- as far as I'm concerned its in under the EUR150 threshold, lets see what An Post come up with this time.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

So got the customs bill. The vat calculation is also too high.....they didn't say the % just the number. Can someone explain that? I thought vat is either 21% or 23%. If everything was done correct I should've been charged 18.62.

Customs Value: € 93.32
    Date: 18/01/2021

Import Duty:€ 0.00
    Excise Duty:€ 0.00
    VAT:€ 22.31
    An Post Fee:€ 3.50

Total to be Paid: € 25.81
    Pay by Date: 11/02/2021

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

21% VAT. What was the value? Did you add the freight charges to the value?

whiterebel wrote: »
    21% VAT. What was the value? Did you add the freight charges to the value?

Yes. Their total 'customs value' is in addition to the 6.50 charge. I double checked. That is way over 21% vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Wouldnt you think AnPost Addresspal would email all their customers a little this how its going to work from the UK from now on, these are the current rates of vat , how its calculated and a few examples . Save a lot of unnecessary questioning and upset to their customers.

spix wrote: »
    Yes. Their total 'customs value' is in addition to the 6.50 charge. I double checked. That is way over 21% vat.

Ask for them for a breakdown of charges. There shouldn't be duty on it if the value is lower than €150.00

Ask for them for a breakdown of charges. There shouldn't be duty on it if the value is lower than €150.00

It specifically says there is no duty being charged.
    Just Vat of 22.31 which is 23.9% vat on total customs value of 93.32 (which is already too high) total customs value should've been 72.30.

Ask who exactly? There is no mention of how to contact them on the bill.. Just pay through this link, pay at your post office or dont pay and package will be returned to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Seems to be taking a week for items in the US to arrive here (aka its now faster to order from the US than it is the UK.......)
    Reasonably happy with the service, despite the improbably high valuation associated with my ukulele etc...........

Bought another 17.3" laptop from the States on ebay today- as far as I'm concerned its in under the EUR150 threshold, lets see what An Post come up with this time.........

At what point did you get your email with duty owed ?

The only calculation they seem to be good at doing is adding their '3.50' fee on..that is added perfectly. The rest of it makes no sense whatsoever.
    I tried every combination to try find how they came to 22.31 vat assuming they are calculating it at 21% which should be a fairly standard task.
    The closest I could get is that they converted the value from gbp to euro, and then they converted it again from gbp to euro.

Ask who exactly? There is no mention of how to contact them on the bill.. Just pay through this link, pay at your post office or dont pay and package will be returned to sender.

ecommchargequery@anpost.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

5star02707 wrote: »
    Alright here's my experience on this.

Won ebay auctions (2 used shoes)
    Ordered 2 UK delivery address (home delivery)
    1 order arrived on 30th December 2020 while the other 1 arrived on 31st December.

31st December delivery was processed in UK hub on 9th January and delivered to my door on 11 January. This delivery i had to pay VAT, An Post valued my order more than 22 Euro paid (VAT + 3.50 an post fee + 6.50 addresspal fee)

30th December delivery was processed late in UK hub (14 January) and delivered to my door today 18 January 2021. This delivery i did not have to pay customs (only 6.50 addresspal fee) they valued my item below 22euro

it is definitely a hit if you use AddressPal they will determine the value of your order if there isn't a proper customs declaration on it.

I would definitely avoid ordering from the UK at the moment until they sort everything out.

Thanks for the info.

I’m thinking I’m finished with ordering from the UK for the foreseeable. As someone pointed out this may not be a bad thing. I’ve bought a lot of good deals but I’ve bought an awful lot of useless sh*te also.

Has this question come up, what happens to a return Amazon item and they send you a new replacement? I’ve just landed here. Quite an expensive item, Amazon as usual very good and said they would send a replacement. I am now liable to pay duty on the replacement? My guess is, yes.

Has anyone got a successful followup from there yet? Think I'll just pay the bill and forget it in case they misread my message as me declining to pay and they return the parcel to sender. Will never use addresspal for the foreseeable future thats for sure. I know its supposed to be anpost doing the vat calculation, and addresspal doing the customs form, but imo it is more or less the same people failing on 2 separate calculations resulting in me paying nearly a 10er more than I should have to.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Has anyone got a successful followup from there yet? Think I'll just pay the bill and forget it in case they misread my message as me declining to pay and they return the parcel to sender. Will never use addresspal for the foreseeable future thats for sure. I know its supposed to be anpost doing the vat calculation, and addresspal doing the customs form, but imo it is more or less the same people failing on 2 separate calculations resulting in me paying nearly a 10er more than I should have to.
    I'd pay the bill to get the parcel delivered and then chase them for an overvaluation refund afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

My story.

Signed up to AP during the year and had no issues with maybe 6 or 7 orders.

But..

Ordered 2 items from ebay.co.uk. One was posted on November 18th by a seller Id ordered from before, who had managed to get the first item I bought from him to me via addresspal. The 2nd item he sold to me, unfortunately, seems to have disappeared into the ether.
    It was a small item so the seller just posted in a big envelope, with no tracking number necessary so I have no record of it having arrived at Hatfield. Not sure if I have any comeback as a result, but considering the guy managed to get me an item through the same process with no issues only a week previous, my frustration lies firmly with AP.

It gets better.

The 2nd item was bigger. Parceled and came with tracking details, which tell me that Hermes delivered the item to Hatfield on December 2nd. After deciding the delay was gone beyond a joke Xmas or nay, I decided to get in touch.

Have rang AP 3 times at this point. People there are quite pleasant but their only response is to inform the warehouse who then send emails days later. The communication between the people on the phone and the warehouse workers seems to be really poor because I keep having to repeat myself regarding the specifics, but what is especially demoralising is that the most recent email stated that they never received the parcel. Even though Hermes tracking info maintains it was delivered.

So am at a bit of a loss now. Tried to ring Hermes but literally no way to get a human on the line. Everything is automated. Asked the seller on ebay to get in touch with Hermes to see if he might have any more joy. He replied in fairness to him and said he would but havent heard anything back yet.

Think Im well within my rights at this point to assume that AP have lost both items. Has anybody successfully got their money back in a similar situation? Or any advice in general would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭5star02707

^ thought I lost mine but after nearly 3 weeks it appeared on my account. Pretty sure they have a big backlog and they're not doing anything in order. Hopefully it shows up in to your account. Would be better if you contact them in all platforms even in Facebook or twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Think Im well within my rights at this point to assume that AP have lost both items. Has anybody successfully got their money back in a similar situation? Or any advice in general would be very welcome.

Yes but it was an absolute nightmare and involved months of chasing/hounding them and finally a complaint directly to An Post to get the final installment of my refund. This was all over a year ago prior to any Covid, Brexit or Christmas mayhem and I swore I'd never use them again.

In summary I had been chasing AddressPal for over 3 months for a product they never delivered. I provided all their necessary proof (screenshot of signature received upon delivery, tracking number, item description, supplier, invoice etc etc). In total well over 20 emails and 10 telephone conversations with Address Pal and also had to go back to my supplier weeks and even months after they shipped the product for such proof of delivery. It was all very piece meal and farcical.
    Then after 3 months they finally issued a cheque in EUR to refund the GBP value of the item but the amount was incorrect. Again following multiple emails they advised that the refund amount was less the 20% VAT that was payable on the item. This made no sense as my AddressPal account is not a business account and I’ve no means of reclaiming VAT from the UK government for an item I never received but that was shipped by the supplier.

I had to lodge a complaint with An Post regarding their affiliate AddressPal and their handling of the process to get a further refund and reimbursed in total. It was like drawing blood from a stone and a total nightmare. Where’s the incentive for them to deliver items and fulfil their contract if they can arbitrary keep/loose items on customers and only refund them 80% of cost with the customer doing all the leg work.

I've used ParcelMotel a lot in the past and they too did loose an item on me during a Christmas period but I was refunded in full plus a 15% credit to my account as a form of compensation for the inconvenience caused.

Hopefully you have a better experience than I did with AddressPal so good luck.

5star02707 wrote: »
    ^ thought I lost mine but after nearly 3 weeks it appeared on my account. Pretty sure they have a big backlog and they're not doing anything in order. Hopefully it shows up in to your account. Would be better if you contact them in all platforms even in Facebook or twitter.

Oh I have. Just get referred back to customer service number in England.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

TimHorton wrote: »
    At what point did you get your email with duty owed ?

About 12 hours after USPS showed it as having been delivered to Polar Express- aka, it was still in the US.........

Yes but it was an absolute nightmare and involved months of chasing/hounding them and finally a complaint directly to An Post to get the final installment of my refund. This was all over a year ago prior to any Covid, Brexit or Christmas mayhem and I swore I'd never use them again.

In summary I had been chasing AddressPal for over 3 months for a product they never delivered. I provided all their necessary proof (screenshot of signature received upon delivery, tracking number, item description, supplier, invoice etc etc). In total well over 20 emails and 10 telephone conversations with Address Pal and also had to go back to my supplier weeks and even months after they shipped the product for such proof of delivery. It was all very piece meal and farcical.
    Then after 3 months they finally issued a cheque in EUR to refund the GBP value of the item but the amount was incorrect. Again following multiple emails they advised that the refund amount was less the 20% VAT that was payable on the item. This made no sense as my AddressPal account is not a business account and I’ve no means of reclaiming VAT from the UK government for an item I never received but that was shipped by the supplier.

I had to lodge a complaint with An Post regarding their affiliate AddressPal and their handling of the process to get a further refund and reimbursed in total. It was like drawing blood from a stone and a total nightmare. Where’s the incentive for them to deliver items and fulfil their contract if they can arbitrary keep/loose items on customers and only refund them 80% of cost with the customer doing all the leg work.

I've used ParcelMotel a lot in the past and they too did loose an item on me during a Christmas period but I was refunded in full plus a 15% credit to my account as a form of compensation for the inconvenience caused.

Uch that sounds hellish. Saw a post a while back that suggested a bunch of parcels were sent to Dublin in a panic to avoid customs but itl be a while before they sort them which gives me some hope. But its been 2 months since the order now so optimism fading by the day.

My main reason for contacting Hermes was to get the signature of whomever it was at Hatfield that accepted it; after complaining to a chatbot, I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from them but only to inform me that they could help much because "Unfortunately, the courier has not been able to recall the delivery of the parcel from C2C on 02/12/2020" and "Our system tracks the location of the courier using GPS, however on the occasion the system has updated when they weren't at the recipients address" whatever that means.

So I now have a reasonable doubt that Hermes screwed up as well. Can only hope that they somehow turn up because I dont fancy going through your ordeal especially if I dont have a signature. Prob 90e worth overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

Just going back to my previous query a few pages back:
    Can any provide any comfort vis a vis the tracking status of the us package, and word AP collect it if for whatever reason it couldnt be delivered on the day?

Has anyone been successful in getting an item devalued before paying vat and or customers or alternatively getting a refund on vat or customs if deducted automatically form an inflated valuation?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

BoboDub wrote: »
    1. In relation to the first US package (USPS tracking 9400108205497737815352) it appears they tried to deliver it on the 9th of jan (a saturday) and since then the tracking saying "awaiting delivery scan". I assume this means there was no one to sign for it and it was returned to the post office. Now I asked the lady if there is a protocol for the us office to follow up and collect failed delivery,but she said she didnt know. In any event 6 days later the tracking hasn't changed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had the same issue with one of my packages, from 3rd January.

SqQLiyDl.png

I haven't had this issue before (with nearly 100 purchases in the past 18 months from the US) so it's a bit strange. I have had a bunch of parcels hit my account since then. Not all have arrived yet, so I'm not sure if one of them is my "missing" package.

As an aside, I've spoken to Polar Express and the Post Office in Englishtown a few times due to how much I use them. They don't actually deliver to 5 South Main Street. Rather, all packages for the NJ hub that are sent via USPS are held in the post office and Polar Express collect them from there. The postmaster there told me before that each package is scanned when they pick them up, and the guy collecting them sometimes presses the wrong number when scanning (so if you see a "Parcel Left at Door/Patio" - they've just pressed the wrong button).

I'm hoping its a similar case here. In ~ 100 uses, I haven't had a single package go missing with the exception of those that were delayed because the sender input the address wrong - but they were eventually found.

Can you tell me what are the timestamps for you "Out For Delivery" and "Awaiting Delivery Scan"? There's a difference of 18 hours between mine exactly - I'm wondering if "Awaiting Delivery Scan" is auto-generated... EDIT: If you Google "Awaiting Delivery Scan" and look at images, the minutes in the timestamp are always the same so I guess it is autogenerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

You are probably not in the mood for this but did you ever get comreg involved. They regulate an post and have a complaints section where I think you should be due compensation for the issues you had. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

I've had the same issue with one of my packages, from 3rd January.

SqQLiyDl.png

I haven't had this issue before (with nearly 100 purchases in the past 18 months from the US) so it's a bit strange. I have had a bunch of parcels hit my account since then. Not all have arrived yet, so I'm not sure if one of them is my "missing" package.

As an aside, I've spoken to Polar Express and the Post Office in Englishtown a few times due to how much I use them. They don't actually deliver to 5 South Main Street. Rather, all packages for the NJ hub that are sent via USPS are held in the post office and Polar Express collect them from there. The postmaster there told me before that each package is scanned when they pick them up, and the guy collecting them sometimes presses the wrong number when scanning (so if you see a "Parcel Left at Door/Patio" - they've just pressed the wrong button).

I'm hoping its a similar case here. In ~ 100 uses, I haven't had a single package go missing with the exception of those that were delayed because the sender input the address wrong - but they were eventually found.

Can you tell me what are the timestamps for you "Out For Delivery" and "Awaiting Delivery Scan"? There's a difference of 18 hours between mine exactly - I'm wondering if "Awaiting Delivery Scan" is auto-generated... EDIT: If you Google "Awaiting Delivery Scan" and look at images, the minutes in the timestamp are always the same so I guess it is autogenerated.

Ii guess my concern here, and it's common to yours, is that these are saturday deliveries. I am a bit concerned that if theres no one there to collect on saturday, what happens? For domestic post generally USPS dont hang around too long if undelivered, similar to most domestic post

Have you escalated yours as a query?

Advertisement