Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I'm quite petite, so maybe that's why its a bit more obvious, not sure, unless like you said its water retention! There is a crap selection of maternity jeans here in Tralee, so I'll be venturing to Cork at least to find a few bits. Can't understand why shops don't make more effort, women are pregnant all the time, so its not like they won't need maternity wear!

Ciarrai maybe try online, that's what I'm doing. Can't be bothered traipsing around looking for jeans and paying a fortune just cuz they are maternity wear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Cerocco wrote: »
    Ciarrai maybe try online, that's what I'm doing. Can't be bothered traipsing around looking for jeans and paying a fortune just cuz they are maternity wear

I want to get some Topshop ones, but I would prefer to try them on first to make sure they are ok. I might order them online, I can return if they don't fit.

I don't really know what else to get at the moment, I don't really need much. I might wait until the sales after Christmas!

When does everyone plan on telling their work? Is there a legal time they need to be informed by or is it at the pregnant woman's discretion? My situation is I'm only in my job for 7 months and I'm contracted to the company until May when they plan to put me on their head count. I'm a bit worried that they may not take me over if they know I'll be heading off on Matty leave for 6 months in July! I'm quite worried about the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ciaarrai I'd advise gettign over the bump jeans! Under the bump I found very uncomfortable, kept falling down. Even though the extra fabric wasn't really needed in the beginning, it saved me having to buy more jeans when my bump got big.

Cerocco, have a look at your contact or talk to hr? I don't think you could hide it til may! Do you have anything in writing that they plan on taking you permanent? Some places don't do maternity leave u less you've been permanent for a certain amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ciaarrai I'd advise gettign over the bump jeans! Under the bump I found very uncomfortable, kept falling down. Even though the extra fabric wasn't really needed in the beginning, it saved me having to buy more jeans when my bump got big.

Yeah, defo over the bump, the under the bump jeans aren't worth a curse. I was constantly pulling them up. I found H&M jeans great, and I think the pair I got was about €20? Avoid those 'belly belts' too, they're not great. A good hair bobbin, or elastic was better at making my regular jeans go that little bit further. Also for belly/bump bands, I thought the Penneys ones were the best. No seams or tags, which were on the Mothercare ones & they really irritated my skin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

olaola wrote: »
    Yeah, defo over the bump, the under the bump jeans aren't worth a curse. I was constantly pulling them up. I found H&M jeans great, and I think the pair I got was about €20? Avoid those 'belly belts' too, they're not great. A good hair bobbin, or elastic was better at making my regular jeans go that little bit further. Also for belly/bump bands, I thought the Penneys ones were the best. No seams or tags, which were on the Mothercare ones & they really irritated my skin.

I thought the over the bump ones looked far too big, and would fall down more than the ones with the stretch to the sides. I was thinking it would be more further into the pregnancy I'd need the over the bump ones. I won't get anything in Tralee, its beyond crap for maternity wear! I'll have to either order online (which I hate doing for jeans as I need to try on!) or go to Cork or Dublin & get decent stuff. I can't understand why there's so little available. Penney's seem to have stopped doing any maternity stuff now in Tralee. I had seen stuff last year, but now nothing there. Very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Seconding the H&M maternity jeans, I had a tiny bump but needed maternity jeans from 4 months on. The under bump ones pressed directly on baby and were so uncomfortable, I lived in the over bump ones. They're nice and warm winter and not bulky. I personally didn't want to buy two sets of clothes for early and latte pregnancy so just stuck with the H&M over bump ones. Long Penneys or Vero Moda vest tops extended the life of almost all non pregnancy tops.

I got a few bits in Next in Tralee and you've the big Mothercare, they have a relatively small but good selection, especially in the sales when they do good offers.

I thought the over the bump ones looked far too big, and would fall down more than the ones with the stretch to the sides. I was thinking it would be more further into the pregnancy I'd need the over the bump ones. I won't get anything in Tralee, its beyond crap for maternity wear! I'll have to either order online (which I hate doing for jeans as I need to try on!) or go to Cork or Dublin & get decent stuff. I can't understand why there's so little available. Penney's seem to have stopped doing any maternity stuff now in Tralee. I had seen stuff last year, but now nothing there. Very annoying!

I used my regular jeans with an elastic & belly band until it was no longer feasible, and then went onto the H&M jeans. The material is quite stretchy, and they're very comfy. Defo weren't too loose.

Seconding the H&M maternity jeans, I had a tiny bump but needed maternity jeans from 4 months on. The under bump ones pressed directly on baby and were so uncomfortable, I lived in the over bump ones. They're nice and warm winter and not bulky. I personally didn't want to buy two sets of clothes for early and latte pregnancy so just stuck with the H&M over bump ones. Long Penneys or Vero Moda vest tops extended the life of almost all non pregnancy tops.

I got a few bits in Next in Tralee and you've the big Mothercare, they have a relatively small but good selection, especially in the sales when they do good offers.

Next isn't too bad, but Mothercare is the worst I've ever seen! They have the most unflattering ugly jeans I've ever seen! Not a hope I'll be going near them! lol I need to have another look in Next and see how they fit on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mimi21

Ugh. I thought insomnia didn't start until later on. Been awake last couple hours and just can't sleep!!

• Advertisement

Next isn't too bad, but Mothercare is the worst I've ever seen! They have the most unflattering ugly jeans I've ever seen! Not a hope I'll be going near them! lol I need to have another look in Next and see how they fit on me.

I never got jeans there as I had the fab H&M ones but they gas lovely casual maternity/nursing tops, dresses and bras.

I never got jeans there as I had the fab H&M ones but they had lovely casual maternity / nursing tops, dresses and bras.

I think I bought 3 pairs of h and m jeans last time and It saw me through. With a toddler though now I think I'll need more! And I don't think my previous ones will fit... Think they were a ten and I'm now a 14 :(.

Over the bump may seem a little baggier at the mo, but like others have said, you won't be buying double. And they keep your belly warm in winter :)

I think xmas is the worst time to shop for maternity, they seem to take it out to fit the xmas stuff in!

Might have a snoop after xmas though in the shops . I don't think I'll make it without maternity wear until feb when we come home and I can get my stuff out of storage!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

Another vote here for the over the bump jeans and trousers, they are the only way to go! I had one pair of under the bump trousers and I used to be constantly pulling them up.

Had my scan yesterday so was fantastic to see little bubs and everything was as it should be. I was able to bring my little one in and it was so cute "wow Mammy look at the new baby". She is constantly kissing my belly now and chatting away to the baby, lets hope she's still as fond of it come next July!

Told the in laws last night and they are just ecstatic, my sis in law had her suspicions but hadn't wanted to say anything just in case I had just been getting fat!

Picked up a lovely dress in Red Herring maternity for party on Friday night, they had some gorgeous tops but will wait and go back in when the sales are on and I have the vouchers that I requested for christmas.

Looks like we'll have to tell the in-laws asap, as we were all planning on going abroad (by ferry) in June. When I just noticed that you can't travel by ferry after 32 weeks!! Well, the ferry companies don't allow it. So we were just about to book & now I have to stall it and tell them this weekend. Really don't like telling people before 12 weeks. I mean, I might not still be pregnant! I don't have my scan until mid Jan. Although, I might pop into my GP for one next week.

Had my scan this afternoon! All went well thankfully! Hubby was a bit miffed by the pic as it was done with the stomach scan so blurry. Had a great look at baby really clear 10 days ago with a vaginal one but hey ho! Heartbeat is still going strong so all happy!

Going to get a scan done on 8th jan, to test for chromosomal defects? Can't remeber the name. Hubby said I got it done last time too but I don't remember. They take loads of measurements and then give you a percentage likelihood of problems. Hopefully will be grand anyway.

Olaola, just tell the in laws its a secret for now, and not to tell anyone else and you'll let them know after the scan that they can spread the word. Honestly don't know how people can keep it from immediate family for 12 weeks! Sure if anything happens they'll be there to support you x

Olaola, just tell the in laws its a secret for now, and not to tell anyone else and you'll let them know after the scan that they can spread the word. Honestly don't know how people can keep it from immediate family for 12 weeks! Sure if anything happens they'll be there to support you x

True! Just feels like I'm strangely jinxing it... Will make Christmas easier so I don't have to fake drinking all the time!

I tried on a pair of maternity jeans in Next yesterday. They were ridiculous looking on me! haha! Well the skinny leg part were fine, but the waist was too big in my normal size, and the band was too big, so I think its too soon! I was looking in Mothercare for those little bands that you can attach to your jeans button, but they don't seem to have them in-store. I'll see if I can use a hair elastic band!

Next sizing is always way too big!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Jesus! I went into Penneys to buy a few loose fitting tops today.

Its been a while since I took much notice of myself in the mirror. Were doing up our house, and haven't re-hung most of our mirrors (so I'm just assuming I look fab everyday, without checking!!)

I'm actually huge! I feel like I look like I'm 6 months pregnant. I've been wearing relatively loose clothes lately, and had put on a bit of weight over the last few months, but holy jesus!
    I'm actually afraid now that lots of it is fat fat, and not baby fat, because I'm only 9 weeks. Because I've gotten away with very little sickness, but have been too tired to exercise a lot, I'm afraid I'm not doing this wee baby any favours.

• Advertisement

I was looking in Mothercare for those little bands that you can attach to your jeans button, but they don't seem to have them in-store. I'll see if I can use a hair elastic band!

They are woejus - I bought them & they just stretch out & keep on popping out of the button holes. Better off with a good hair bobbin!

I'm 10 weeks today, So fed up now, the sickness is never ending. I'm miserable being pregnant!! Yesterday I felt faint in front of a customer and she made a big deal out of it but I couldn't tell her not to worry I'm only pregnant. I'm so wrecked nearly every night I'm in bed by 9. My poor husband must be fed up of seeing my miserable mug now. I'm sitting here willing a puke to come cuz I feel so sick. When does the pregnancy 'Glow' happen? Moan over

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SettlePettal

Jesus! I went into Penneys to buy a few loose fitting tops today.

Its been a while since I took much notice of myself in the mirror. Were doing up our house, and haven't re-hung most of our mirrors (so I'm just assuming I look fab everyday, without checking!!)

I'm actually huge! I feel like I look like I'm 6 months pregnant. I've been wearing relatively loose clothes lately, and had put on a bit of weight over the last few months, but holy jesus!
    I'm actually afraid now that lots of it is fat fat, and not baby fat, because I'm only 9 weeks. Because I've gotten away with very little sickness, but have been too tired to exercise a lot, I'm afraid I'm not doing this wee baby any favours.

I'm the same. I haven't been sick enough to not eat, and I'm so tired after work I've stopped exercising! My jeans don't fit now, but that's from ME expanding, not the baby. I'm hoping to show soon and get my energy back so I just have a bump!

This week I've felt like my energy is very slowly returning! I don't feel nauseous (hope I don't jinx that now!).
    I wasn't able to drink tea and I'm starting to be able to again! My appetite has got a lot better again, I even ate a Chinese takeaway last night!
    Hope this stays fine! I need energy for work in the next two weeks, it will be a long one!

I've done zero exercise, but I'm going to do Pilates after Christmas which I'm looking forward to.

Has anyone started using a cream for preventing stretch marks? I got the Palmers Cocoa butter one for stretch marks, as I use the regular one anyway, but not sure how good it will even be! I have heard the Mamma Mio cream is meant to be great, but not sure where you can get it as I've never seen it for sale in shops. Is it only online?

Forgot about getting a cream! I'm crap at moisturising anyway. Hate being sticky and cold waiting for it to dry in! I remember gettign one last time though in boots. I think stretch marks have been shown to be mainly hereditary anyway!

I've got stretch marks from when I got fat 10 yrs ago, but got none when pregnant last time. I think probably because i lost a decent amount of weight before hand, that my skin was already kinda stretchy maybe? I didn't get that big either!

Sorry useless post really no help!

On a side note I'm all alone and my husband has gone to another city for work for 2 nights. My little man was very nice to me last night and slept all the way through, so I, likely to be up 5 times tonight!

Also my sister has asked for a Yankee candle for xmas. I feel like puking coming within a mile of those shops, I don't know how I'm gonna do it with my super sensitive pregnant nose!

Forgot about getting a cream! I'm crap at moisturising anyway. Hate being sticky and cold waiting for it to dry in! I remember gettign one last time though in boots. I think stretch marks have been shown to be mainly hereditary anyway!

I've got stretch marks from when I got fat 10 yrs ago, but got none when pregnant last time. I think probably because i lost a decent amount of weight before hand, that my skin was already kinda stretchy maybe? I didn't get that big either!

Sorry useless post really no help!

On a side note I'm all alone and my husband has gone to another city for work for 2 nights. My little man was very nice to me last night and slept all the way through, so I, likely to be up 5 times tonight!

Also my sister has asked for a Yankee candle for xmas. I feel like puking coming within a mile of those shops, I don't know how I'm gonna do it with my super sensitive pregnant nose!

I better ask my Mom if she got stretchmarks with any of her 3 pregnancies! I don't have any, so hoping I don't get them too bad! I always moisturize my body after a shower so just going to just keep doing what I'm doing, but not waste money on expensive creams!
    Are you travelling home to Ireland for Christmas?

Yep we travel home next Monday! Very excited for it all except the aeroplane part with my giant 22 month old on my lap!

I love santa, can't wait to actually BE santa. Last year didn't really count as he was too small lol!

Not to scare you, but my friend is very petite, she's philipino, dainty small bones. Been skinny and very fit running all her life. She has the most horrendous stretch marks from literally a few inches above her belly button to half way down her thighs. I couldn't believe it when I saw them! They are still very noticeable as she has very sallow skin even 14 yrs after her last child. She said she used every cream under the sun but it didn't stop them. She said she didn't get huge, but I honestly haven't seen a pic of her pregnant.

Scared me but thankfully I escaped!

Moisturising makes no difference to stretchmarks, they occur at a deeper level than creams reach. Whether or not you get them is based on genetics and the elasticity of your skin, you can't prevent them. Bio Oil etc help them to fade afterwards but they don't prevent them.

• Advertisement

Is it ok to drink non alcoholic beer? Xmas party Friday so need to hide not drinking

Advertisement