Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Teeley wrote: »
    Some advice please! I was going to order a few maternity tops from Gap online but not sure what size to order! I'm normally a size 8..do I order size 8 maternity or do I need to go up a size?? Their size guide says that UK 8 is a medium in mat wear but the biggest size is a large..I just can't imagine that I should order the second biggest size?! No prob if that's the case (not asking out of vanity, just practicality!)but I just thought I'd check here first. Thanks.

Yep, order your regular size :) Gap is sized quite big, make sure you're ordering UK 8 and not USA 8!
    I would say the GAP UK 8 would be a Small?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Just looked at the gap.eu site and it says a UK 8 is a medium!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

olaola wrote: »
    Yep, order your regular size :) Gap is sized quite big, make sure you're ordering UK 8 and not USA 8!
    I would say the GAP UK 8 would be a Small?

Thanks! Your advice makes sense! I'm not a fan of online shopping..more hassle than offline shopping!
    I'm quite bloated in the evenings..14 weeks this Thursday..didn't think I'd notice a bump so soon..exciting!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

is there a Gap in Cork?

Just looked at the gap.eu site and it says a UK 8 is a medium!

That's the site that threw me! But if an 8 is medium then how is large the biggest size??..doesn't make sense to me.

• Advertisement

I think because they go to xxxl maybe? Dunno!

Ciarrai, the website says maternity is an online exclusive? They only have a few bits on there anyway.

I don't know why maternity wear is so frumpy. Everythign is long sleeved and high necked and matronly! Hate it!

I don't know why maternity wear is so frumpy. Everythign is long sleeved and high necked and matronly! Hate it!

It's so granny grunt. And nursing wear is worse. AND expensive. COS have cool things that have a generous cut, so even though it's not maternity, you could get away with quite a lot of their items.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think because they go to xxxl maybe? Dunno!

Ciarrai, the website says maternity is an online exclusive? They only have a few bits on there anyway.

the lack of maternity wear in this country is unreal....do they not realise women get pregnant all the time!?
    I have to travel to Cork soon cos its so bad here in Tralee! I really hope I find some jeans I like! I'm not going to get much top wise yet, as I've a lot of loose fitting/baggy tops anyway, so they'll do for a while. Its jeans I need mainly as I can wear casual clothes for work so I need a couple pairs to keep me going!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    the lack of maternity wear in this country is unreal....do they not realise women get pregnant all the time!?
    I have to travel to Cork soon cos its so bad here in Tralee! I really hope I find some jeans I like! I'm not going to get much top wise yet, as I've a lot of loose fitting/baggy tops anyway, so they'll do for a while. Its jeans I need mainly as I can wear casual clothes for work so I need a couple pairs to keep me going!

Where are you going to shop for jeans?? I heard Next do an ok mat range. I loath jeans shopping at the best of times!..that's why I thought I'd start my maternity clothes shopping with some nice simple tops!..but even then I can't decide on what size to buy! Luckily I wear scrubs in work so only really need weekend wear.

Teeley wrote: »
    Where are you going to shop for jeans?? I heard Next do an ok mat range. I loath jeans shopping at the best of times!..that's why I thought I'd start my maternity clothes shopping with some nice simple tops!..but even then I can't decide on what size to buy! Luckily I wear scrubs in work so only really need weekend wear.

I queried it on the fashion board, and most people suggested H&M, saying their jeans are good and not too expensive. Topshop was also mentioned, which I'd love, but their jeans are a bit more expensive, and I would rather not spend too much when I won't be wearing them forever! I will try on and see how I get on. I am still wearing my normal clothes, but felt them a little tighter today than usual! By the time I go to Cork I may need the maternity ones!
    I did look at the Next jeans, and a few were nice, but not a great range in the Tralee store. Debenhams were awful, as were Mothercare!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're a pre-pregnancy size 8 definitely get XS in Gap maternity clothes! I was a 10-12 and I wear an S comfortably.

US 8 would be a UK 12 which makes more sense as a medium.

did anyone see the top Stacy in Eastenders is wearing? It looks like a sort of top that works as a sling for a baby! Looks kind of interesting, wonder where you can get them? love the idea of having the baby up close like that, so cute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

did anyone see the top Stacy in Eastenders is wearing? It looks like a sort of top that works as a sling for a baby! Looks kind of interesting, wonder where you can get them? love the idea of having the baby up close like that, so cute :)

It was a sling/wrap that was just pulled differently so she could "feed" the baby. You can get kangaroo tops I do believe but they are only for teeny tiny babies like preemies needing skin to skin, not possible for actual weight bearing babywearing. But a stretchy wrap is pretty damn similar to having baby inside your top, one of the guidelines is they have to be close enough to kiss their head :)

If I was loaded I'd love some frugi maternity dresses they are gorgeous. I just bought a few bits on a german site called babywalz as they are having a sale. Was in their shop yesterday too but saw nothing appealing.
    My husband surprised me with a holiday at the end on jan. I think I'll def have a bump by then so now I'm on the hunt for shorts! In the middle of winter.

I think I bought 3 pairs of h&m m jeans last time I think their sizes are a bit funny so def try them on. Think I got a black, blue and red pair and that did me the whole pregnancy!

Also I don't know if there are shops in ireland/ UK or postage to ireland , but the other shops that sell maternity here are c&a and esprit. So gonna stalk those pages today!

Hubby says we are almost certainly coming home by end on feb. Fun times with nowhere to live! Might move in with my dad til we buy as I've had my fill of my mum over xmas lol!

I had my scan this morning! It was fab! Heart beating strong and fast, could really see the heart. Legs kicking, but then it kept crossing its legs too...so cute! funny too cos I tend to cross over my legs a lot. The nurse was trying to take a pic but it wouldn't stop fidgeting! It put its hand to its face, at the same time I did!! Its all perfect and she said due date is around the 6th July! Its gas cos I've a wedding around the 2nd...so hoping I'll be ok to go to it! (we'll see!).

So nice to finally have a proper scan. They booked me in for my next on in 14 weeks time, so I'll be 28 weeks then. She said it was too early to tell the sex, so we might need to get a private scan for that or just wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Aw fab Ciarrai! Its so special getting to see them in real time, inside your belly, moving away, isnt it?

Funny, our little bubs had its feet crossed at the ankles, just like I did at the time (and do now actually!). And looked like it was scratching its head too.

I know you were saying you deferred the 12 week scan till after Christmas. But I thought the 2nd scan is usually around 20 weeks. Mine is booked for 21 weeks (I couldn't do it on 20 weeks), on 1st March. Cant wait to see bubs again!

My aunt is a radiographer, and warned me against getting a 3D scan. She said that they are probably fine, but very little research has been done on the effects of these scans, and she wouldn't be comfortable unnecessarily exposing the baby to it. Just thought I would mention it here.

Aw fab Ciarrai! Its so special getting to see them in real time, inside your belly, moving away, isnt it?

Funny, our little bubs had its feet crossed at the ankles, just like I did at the time (and do now actually!). And looked like it was scratching its head too.

I know you were saying you deferred the 12 week scan till after Christmas. But I thought the 2nd scan is usually around 20 weeks. Mine is booked for 21 weeks (I couldn't do it on 20 weeks), on 1st March. Cant wait to see bubs again!

My aunt is a radiographer, and warned me against getting a 3D scan. She said that they are probably fine, but very little research has been done on the effects of these scans, and she wouldn't be comfortable unnecessarily exposing the baby to it. Just thought I would mention it here.

I was initially told it could be 32 weeks before my next scan, but my consultant was there and she wants me back at 28 weeks. Not all hospitals are 12 weeks and 20 weeks from what I've been told. Two ladies I know said they didn't even get a 12 week scan, that they had to wait until about 23 weeks!

I've already been booked in for an antenatal class too at the start of March! :)

Defo H&M for jeans, they were the most comfortable I found, I was sad to put them away... kinda looking forward to getting back into them!

Have any of you had the flu vaccine since you got pregnant? I didn't get it, I suppose I should really. Bit smothered with a cold today though. My husband has had it since the weekend, so now I have it. Just a blocked nose & sniffling, feel fine otherwise.

Also, have you finished taking folic acid and are you taking anything else? I was told just finish off my current jar of folic acid and then I can take pregnacare again. I stopped taking that around week 8/9 cos I was feeling too sick and couldn't even swallow the tablet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Asos have some lovely maternity clothes. I ordered navy leggings from M&S and also ASOS. Will get them this week. I'm hoping they fit good. I love the H&M leggings but they don't do them in navy from what I've seen. Next have lovely maternity clothes on their UK site but I think I'll wait for the codes to come out before I order anything from there. I still want to look half decent at least lol!

• Advertisement

I got the flu vaccine last time, as I was due in feb so was gonna spend most of my pregnancy in winter. Didn't bother this time.

I think unless you usually catch flu you probably don't need it. I don't think I've ever had real flu.

Sure my husband came home mid nov (I was 6 weeks) from China. Had caught flu and then got pneumonia. Was in hospital for a week. Neither me or the toddler caught so much as a sniffle.

The flu vaccine also only covers last years flu strains. You are still susceptible to this years new ones. So all in all I wouldn't bother this late into winter.

I stopped taking my folic acid 2 weks ago at 12 weeks. Onto the pregnacare now. It has folic acid in it too anyway I think!

I remember getting constipated on the multi ne I took last time, so had to take something else too. Constipation leads to piles which are horrid so don't want to go through that again!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was initially told it could be 32 weeks before my next scan, but my consultant was there and she wants me back at 28 weeks. Not all hospitals are 12 weeks and 20 weeks from what I've been told. Two ladies I know said they didn't even get a 12 week scan, that they had to wait until about 23 weeks!
    I can't help but be extremely cynical regarding that scheduling tbh - there are good reasons why those scans are usually offered at 12 and 20 weeks and it seems like someone is making a concerted effort to avoid certain time limits in a neighbouring country...

At the start I was taking a prenatal and folic acid, even though there was FA in the prenatal - my sisters kids have little nubs at the base of their spine, which is totally fine, but an indication of potential spina bifida if she had not taken enough FA, so I thought better to have more of it than less.
    These days Im just on the prenatal though.

I can't help but be extremely cynical regarding that scheduling tbh - there are good reasons why those scans are usually offered at 12 and 20 weeks and it seems like someone is making a concerted effort to avoid certain time limits in a neighbouring country...

Don't get me started on this... I read some horrendous things about information being kept from patients in Sligo on another site.

I got the flu vaccine last time, as I was due in feb so was gonna spend most of my pregnancy in winter. Didn't bother this time.

I think unless you usually catch flu you probably don't need it. I don't think I've ever had real flu.

Sure my husband came home mid nov (I was 6 weeks) from China. Had caught flu and then got pneumonia. Was in hospital for a week. Neither me or the toddler caught so much as a sniffle.

The flu vaccine also only covers last years flu strains. You are still susceptible to this years new ones. So all in all I wouldn't bother this late into winter.

I stopped taking my folic acid 2 weks ago at 12 weeks. Onto the pregnacare now. It has folic acid in it too anyway I think!

I remember getting constipated on the multi ne I took last time, so had to take something else too. Constipation leads to piles which are horrid so don't want to go through that again!

I have enough problems with piles without being pregnant! Have had a good few issues with it in the past year, and it took ages to clear up. Thankfully since I got pregnant its improved. Probably due to eating a bit better and drinking more water!

I also suffer from varicose veins, and have had my left leg already stripped in about 2008. The midwife said today that ideally I should have waited, but I suffered with a lot of pain at the time, so it had to be done. Unfortunately there are signs of it reappearing in a different area of the same leg, so she has advised to get measured for special tights/socks from the chemist to prevent it getting worse. Its in our family, and I started to see signs of it in my early 20's. I got referred to Limerick to get it done privately, so if it gets bad again I'll see about having the same thing done in a year or two.

Have any of you had the flu vaccine since you got pregnant? I didn't get it, I suppose I should really. Bit smothered with a cold today though. My husband has had it since the weekend, so now I have it. Just a blocked nose & sniffling, feel fine otherwise.

I got the flu vaccine on my first trip to the doc to confirm the pregnancy, at about 6 weeks. I figured its November, we are heading into winter, I haven't heard of any bad side effects, no harm in it. I've been extremely sniffly and sneezey throughout the first trimester, especially in the mornings, so I'm glad I got the vaccine. It may not be able to battle new emerging strains, but no harm and a little peace of mind when there is so much else to worry about!

I got the flu vaccine on my first trip to the doc to confirm the pregnancy, at about 6 weeks. I figured its November, we are heading into winter, I haven't heard of any bad side effects, no harm in it. I've been extremely sniffly and sneezey throughout the first trimester, especially in the mornings, so I'm glad I got the vaccine. It may not be able to battle new emerging strains, but no harm and a little peace of mind when there is so much else to worry about!

I have a head cold at the moment, so I don't think there's any point in me getting the vaccine for now. I am due back to my GP on the 18th, so I'll talk to him about it then. I've only had the flu once, which was 20 years ago now, and it was awful! But thankfully I haven't had one since....TOUCH WOOD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Congrats on the scan Ciarrai!

Mine was suppose to be today but got moved till Monday - long wait over the weekend.

I've had quite a bit of hip pain the last few days so I'm going to have to ask Dr about that!

I'm cringing inside that some people don't get scanned until 23 weeks! I'd be horrified. So glad we are abroad and the pre natal treatment here is fab! I'd say I'll get about 6 scans in all which isn't bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I queried it on the fashion board, and most people suggested H&M, saying their jeans are good and not too expensive. Topshop was also mentioned, which I'd love, but their jeans are a bit more expensive, and I would rather not spend too much when I won't be wearing them forever! I will try on and see how I get on. I am still wearing my normal clothes, but felt them a little tighter today than usual! By the time I go to Cork I may need the maternity ones!
    I did look at the Next jeans, and a few were nice, but not a great range in the Tralee store. Debenhams were awful, as were Mothercare!

Next have lovely maternity jeans, you can order instore and they'll have it next day for you as long as it's a regular length, it can take up to 2 weeks if it's a long length! You have to pay in advance but you can return them to the store if they don't suit. If you're in Galway, the Next store which is out by B&Q has a maternity section instore.
    H&M were nearly all skinny jeans but had some really nice tops. I went to the one in Athlone.
    Dorothy Perkins have a maternity section online, you can get free delivery using the code DPFREEDEL at the moment! Bought my coat there, would be a size 16 normally but ended up ordering a 14 as the reviews said they were a generous fit, and it definitely was!
    I didn't find Debenhams in Galway great at all, some nice tops but quite expensive.
    New Look in Galway have a maternity section as well, got a few tops there too. Jeans were nice but not as soft as Next (I could quite happily live forever in my Next maternity jeans, they feel that nice!!! :D).

• Advertisement

catreyn wrote: »
    Next have lovely maternity jeans, you can order instore and they'll have it next day for you as long as it's a regular length, it can take up to 2 weeks if it's a long length! You have to pay in advance but you can return them to the store if they don't suit. If you're in Galway, the Next store which is out by B&Q has a maternity section instore.
    H&M were nearly all skinny jeans but had some really nice tops. I went to the one in Athlone.
    Dorothy Perkins have a maternity section online, you can get free delivery using the code DPFREEDEL at the moment! Bought my coat there, would be a size 16 normally but ended up ordering a 14 as the reviews said they were a generous fit, and it definitely was!
    I didn't find Debenhams in Galway great at all, some nice tops but quite expensive.
    New Look in Galway have a maternity section as well, got a few tops there too. Jeans were nice but not as soft as Next (I could quite happily live forever in my Next maternity jeans, they feel that nice!!! :D).

I am Kerry, so needs to be as close as possible for travelling. Cork seems to be the best option for now. I was in Dorothy Perkins in Killarney, which is quite a big store, but they have discontinued their maternity wear! New look had a tiny little rail of maternity, nothing of which I liked! I am hoping H&M have a nice range in Cork, its the skinny jeans I want as that's what I mainly wear anyway. I might get a bootleg pair too, but not too pushed.

I was trying to find a workout top today that wasn't too clingy as I'm starting Pilates and everything is so tight! I ended up getting a long sleeve top in Penney's but in a large! I'll do for now. I am missing my high intensity work outs, so looking forward to doing something again! I will also start back at a bit of swimming and hopefully walking if this rain will ever go away!

Advertisement