Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

donvito99 wrote: »
    So the airlines set their fares, and the DAA charges more in Dublin than in Cork, and we're supposed to believe that the DAA is deliberately inhibiting growth in Cork?

I note that the Passenger Charge per Departing Passenger at Dublin Airport
    (i.e.) Departure on a Remote Stand as and from 29th March next will be as follows:

Dublin Airport: Winter 2.65EUR and Summer 5.20EUR
    Cork Airport: All Routes 7.15EUR

(No seasonal rate difference was indicated in respect of Cork Airport on the table of figures supplied).

Cork Airport Charges: https://www.corkairport.com/docs/def...8.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    Dublin Airport Charges: https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/d...rsn=20fb0c7d_2

You do the maths on this however; it would seem that Cork Airport is not necessarily cheaper in all aspects such as: "Passenger Charge per Departing Passenger" at Dublin Airport as from 29th March next having looked at the price tables for Dublin Airport and Cork Airport!

Meanwhile, customers taking flights will not want to pay considerably more in one airport over another and they are not really bothered if the rate difference is because the airport charged more in fees rather than an individual airline. Airlines also need to make some profit and maybe this requires incentives similar to the PSO subsidy extended for otherwise loss making but important social economic connections. New route launch incentives tend to phase out after an introductory period which can result in either a price increase or route cancellation if passenger numbers fall off altogether.

Flight prices usually tend to be higher to/from Cork Airport in comparison with to/from Dublin Airport is what customers looking to use Cork Airport will often tell you based on their experiences. It's a while since I took a flight but I've often checked rates online from both Cork and Dublin numerous times in recent years and Dublin was nearly always cheaper and sometimes by a significant amount depending on the route destination. It's the end-user price that the customer is concerned about especially if it means saving hard-earned money in the process.

And yes, I believe that the DAA will naturally favour Dublin as it's the Dublin Airport Authority. Cork was meant to become independent by having the Cork Airport Authority (CAA) to run Cork Airport but this never materialised. Shannon Airport broke free from the DAA to protect and grow the interests of Shannon Airport and it became debt-free in the process although; the price it paid for it's independence was the loss of Aer Rianta International (ARI) which ran the Duty Free Stores worldwide which first started at Shannon Airport many years ago.
    donvito99 wrote: »
    And then there's this...

The length of the coastline has nothing to do with the provision of a charity air ambulance service - the ONLY service of its type in the country. So we're supposed to view the fact that Cork has it's own air ambo as some slight on Cork?
    The length of the coastline is hardly an irrelevant factor and I suspect some of the reasons the service has been based in it's North Cork location may be that Cork has Ireland's largest coastline of 1,100km which makes up 19% of the Irish coastline and covers an area of 7,459sq km which is 11% of the Irish State. Cork is also Ireland’s largest county with a population of the entire county at 542,868 according to Census 2016 figures. Cork harbour is the second largest natural harbour in the world.

Cork should not have to apologise for providing vital services to people in dire need in the case of emergency given that Cork University Hospital (CUH) will provide Trauma Network South (i.e.) one of only two major trauma centres for Ireland. People who find themselves stranded and require medical transfer will not care whether it is government/charity/private sector funded in the middle of a crisis - they will be consumed with the emergency at hand and getting their loved one to a hospital for critical treatment as soon as possible in Ireland. I recall hearing that the Air Ambulance based in North Cork was in serious danger of closing down altogether some months ago due to a serious shortfall in funds and it continues to depend on charity donations.

If the Air Ambulance is required but cannot afford to respond, then this would reflect quite negatively on a first world country much like the overcrowded hospital A+E Departments which have been badly hit since before Christmas and it seems to be at it's worst in places like Cork City, Limerick City, Galway City, Bantry General Hospital, St. Vincent's Hospital Dublin etc; The Air Ambulance service was drafted in to cover the Irish Aer Corps "Emergency Aeromedical Service", which operates out of Custume Barracks in Athlone Co. Westmeath at certain times and I understand that this change has resulted in a curtailment of the Air Ambulance service to a 5 day week cover so; the medical emergency needs to occur at the right time if you happen to be located in the wrong place at the wrong time - Can you imagine if an A+E Dept was only available Mon-Fri!

We still rely on the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) all these years after Irish independence for saving lives at sea thanks to so many dedicated volunteers who risk their lives year in, year out around the coasts of Ireland and the UK and it also has to raise charitable funds in order to keep the service going at each lifeboat station which cannot be easy as it costs a considerable amount to maintain this vital emergency rescue service.

Other Sources:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/charity-air-ambulance-will-cover-air-corp-service-despite-funding-issues-1.4155119?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fcharity-air-ambulance-will-cover-air-corp-service-despite-funding-issues-1.4155119
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/charity-rejects-criticism-that-kerry-air-ambulance-does-not-have-doctor-1.3639404
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/visiting-cork
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/acute-hospitals-division/trauma-services/a-trauma-system-for-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

robinbird wrote: »
    What they are arguing makes perfect sense. The events centre was put out to tender and after the contract was awarded they changed the rules. Used sharp practice to significantly increase the amount given to BAM. How many other tenders do you think there might have been if they had said in 2016 that there was 50 million in funding available? they will spend hundreds of thousands more defending BAM and end up losing anyway/
    Seriously just stop, The Events Centre was funded as it has been deemed necessary to provide an Events Centre for Cork .. not Kerry and the INEC in no way would compete with a 6,000 seat venue in a different area.
    The NCC got hundreds of millions, the Bord Gais Energy theatre 50 Million, etc, etc.
    Why not complain about Government funding for these. There was never a live tender process for an Event Centre in Killarney.
    I can't wait for the next Government to decide to give Kerry Airport a suibsidy, just watch the Judicial Reviews then or fund office developments like the IDA did in Tralee. Judicial Reviews to any Government funding for anything even vaguely commercial here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The DAA hate in Cork is almost entirely unjustified. The completion of the M8 and the cheap, frequent buses it spawned to Dublin Airport was the primary catalyst for the decline in Cork, it didn't help that this coincided exactly with the worst recession in a generation. Cork Airport and the DAA seem to be figuring out how to grow the airport when there is convenient motorway access to the behemoth in Dublin. 2.6 million pax last year is an amazing turnaround from the dark days of 2015, the airport is predicting 2.75 million passengers for 2020 at that stage the pre M8 numbers are in sight.

There is a simple statistic to highlight how Cork gets screwed, we contribute 5 billion per year in tax revenue and there hasn't been a major capital project started here since the aforementioned M8, which started serious construction in 2006.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    The DAA hate in Cork is almost entirely unjustified. The completion of the M8 and the cheap, frequent buses it spawned to Dublin Airport was the primary catalyst for the decline in Cork, it didn't help that this coincided exactly with the worst recession in a generation. Cork Airport and the DAA seem to be figuring out how to grow the airport when there is convenient motorway access to the behemoth in Dublin. 2.6 million pax last year is an amazing turnaround from the dark days of 2015, the airport is predicting 2.75 million passengers for 2020 at that stage the pre M8 numbers are in sight.

There is a simple statistic to highlight how Cork gets screwed, we contribute 5 billion per year in tax revenue and there hasn't been a major capital project started here since the aforementioned M8, which started serious construction in 2006.

Indeed. The growth in Cork Airport over recent years is fantastic and should be applauded. The airport boats a wide array of useful business and pleasure links and is a great asset to the city. Some fantastic new routes recently like Malta, Naples and Budapest.

A good share of people complaining about the airport could do with actually trying it. I often see people trapsing to Dublin to fly to X destination and then complaining about the Aircoach, and then when it’s pointed out that you can fly there from Cork the reply is along the lines of “Jesus I never knew that”.

Some people would be surprised if you told them you can get daily flights from Cork to Paris or Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

snotboogie wrote: »

I think the DAA hate is justified. You can’t forget the pax numbers in 2008 were 3.2 million. If any private company’s numbers/sales were that much below what they were twelve years ago and still blaming it on a recession that ended a few years ago, then serious questions need to be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

I thought there was a Cork Airport thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

rebs23 wrote: »
    Seriously just stop, The Events Centre was funded as it has been deemed necessary to provide an Events Centre for Cork .. not Kerry and the INEC in no way would compete with a 6,000 seat venue in a different area.
    The NCC got hundreds of millions, the Bord Gais Energy theatre 50 Million, etc, etc.
    Why not complain about Government funding for these. There was never a live tender process for an Event Centre in Killarney.
    I can't wait for the next Government to decide to give Kerry Airport a suibsidy, just watch the Judicial Reviews then or fund office developments like the IDA did in Tralee. Judicial Reviews to any Government funding for anything even vaguely commercial here we go!

The thing about the Event Centre is - this was all done via Public Procurement and that means there are rules which must be followed. One of these rules is the indication of the potential size of the contract which helps tenderers decide whether it's worth their while. Such a significant change in value could prompt tenderers to think "that would have been worth going for".

Back to the topic thread on Cork's proposed Event Centre

I would really welcome this vital missing link being built and in full operation asap but I fear the longer that this process continues to drag on and on, the more unlikely the current model will be delivered despite so many assurances given over the years. I am not a fan of the "public-private partnership" models as they seem fraught with problems and delays. The prolonged uncertainty since the announcement of an end to production at the former Beamish & Crawford brewery has seen further deterioration in the surrounding areas like South Main Street itself, Grand Parade, North Main Street, Washington Street West etc; This needs to be fast-tracked for a final decision or else draw a line under it on the current proposed site as the city and wider region really deserves better governance and more efficient planning processes.

The long running and very popular "Live at the Marquee" concerts series which was originally established as part of Cork 2005 European Capital of Culture ends next Summer at it's current location and with no Cork Events Centre even under construction or ready to commence this is not good for the entertainment business scene in Ireland's second city. Hotels & B+B Guesthouses, Bars & Nightclubs, Restaurants, Retail and other businesses all lose out in such an unsatisfactory scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Thats the problem with how this has all been handled. It was pretty clear to everyone since 2016 that when the goal posts started moving this could happen (have heard it here and on skyscrapercity from several contributors), and in the meantime we have wasted 4 years going in circles with redesigns and getting live nation happy only to come back to the same place. It should have been retendered then, and it should be retendered now before we lose another few years in the courts before being told to retender anyway. Just do it, pull the contract, retender it and see who wins now today

If the current model on the table is entirely reviewed and re-opened to other contractors becoming involved in a whole new bidding process once again, you are likely to see other possible site locations being proposed and there is no guarantee that BAM/Live Nation would enter into such a new process if re-opened again which would leave the allocated space at the former Beamish & Crawford brewery site ripe for alternative development purposes.

I recall that one of the other main contractors in competition with BAM was O'Callaghan Properties who have since been engaged in developing an alternative project, Navigation Square at Albert Quay over the last few years.

Below is a YouTube video of O'Callaghan Properties bid proposal to develop a Cork Event Centre at Albert Quay however; their bid was unsuccessful in the competition won by BAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBml6Byj--0

Another bid was from Howard Holdings to develop a Cork Events Centre in the city docklands on a site used by Live at the Marquee in an earlier tender process.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/howard-holdings-wins-city-approval-for-event-centre-38059.html

If the current Cork Events Centre process is halted/reviewed and has to be reopened to other contractors, I wonder if it's days will be numbered in relation to the former Beamish & Crawford brewery site at South Main Street. Meanwhile, I think BAM are also involved with the site that once had Government Buildings (Revenue Tax/FÁS) located on Sullivan's Quay where there are plans for a new hotel to be built although; much controversy has surrounded that particular project due to a large mound of rubble left on site for a prolonged period of time much to the annoyance of the surrounding community and I would imagine the local authority is not too pleased about this matter. Not sure if this project is dependant on the Cork Event Centre being built by BAM on nearby South Main Street as there seems to be no urgency to deliver this anytime soon. A lot of other construction developments are ongoing elsewhere in the city which is great to see but this part of the city needs a major boost at this stage as too long in decline.

• Advertisement

Exactly. BAM may not enter, or even win the new tender process - so be it. On the other hand they may feel they have done a lot of ground work and spent a lot of money getting to this point (not to mention a much increased govt commitment), and with the Sullivans' Quay hotel you mention, the fate of which could tie closely to the EC, they may decide all in its worth it.

I really wanted to see the EC at Beamish and Crawford site for years because of the spin off effect it would have on South Main St, Probys Quay, Lower Barrack street, but over time its failure has become a drain on these already suffering areas. The new plans are a pale imitation of what was originally promised anyway, I dont think the dead frontage is any help to South Main or Probys Quay. If BAM do bail on this and try to put something else into the Beamish site they can expect a Frosty AF reception in planning from councillors, ansd what goes in there will have to be excellent, as it should be.

The whole thing is very sad and emblematic of Cork's decade. To quote Bojo next door we need to stop the dither and delay and DO SOMETHING with this project. Its beyond being beyond the joke

I am in complete agreement - The most recent artist's impressions of the Cork Events Centre are unimpressive and do little to enhance the surrounding area. While "The Counting House" as part of the former brewery is quite rightly a centre-piece, the salute to the old cultural tradition of the surrounding area should not have stopped there. When you consider the Viking heritage discoveries made and if anyone was to take a glance at some of the old drawings of this area around South Gate Bridge, they could have done so much more to blend other aspects in.

I would also have concerns about how a large influx of people will gain access to/from this venue where maximum capacity events are concerned as South Main Street, Barrack Street, French's Quay, Proby's Quay, Sharman Crawford Street, Crosses Green are not designed for heavy traffic and given way to cycle lane with on-street parking badly organised and Cork is not best known for having an very efficient public transport system for various reasons.

I would hope that the local authority has an ambitious plan to ease traffic congestion in and around the entire area regardless of whether or not the Cork Events Centre is actually built on the former Beamish & Crawford brewery site.

Artist impression visual images of Cork Events Centre:

https://www.echolive.ie/portalsuite/image//5aae0c65-9be9-49a2-ba27-003cebcf0e2e/mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true_x0=0_y0=7.48_x1=100_y1=92.21_format=1.7777777777777777__image.jpg

https://www.echolive.ie/portalsuite/image//c15a931b-74f3-4d70-bbde-f28b3ccdcafb/mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

https://www.echolive.ie/portalsuite/image//e73d9267-7e6f-4238-9fd4-44b8e142af16/mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

https://www.echolive.ie/portalsuite/image//a3cce414-98af-4a01-9bd6-79d125bf18bd/mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

https://www.echolive.ie/portalsuite/image//19fa97bf-c363-41cc-858b-8774244631c2/mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

Other sources:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/physical-landscape/geography-of-cork-city-1/development-of-cork-city/medieval-to-twentieth-cen/

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/michaelolearycollection/southgatebridge/

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/How-Cork-city-looked-in-1624-new-painting-shows-the-construction-of-Elizabeth-Fort-08bb7a6a-d6bc-4c13-96a0-8bf0dd908a0f-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

PreCocious wrote: »
    The thing about the Event Centre is - this was all done via Public Procurement and that means there are rules which must be followed. One of these rules is the indication of the potential size of the contract which helps tenderers decide whether it's worth their while. Such a significant change in value could prompt tenderers to think "that would have been worth going for".
    But there are procedures to vary it especially in projects where there may an unknown cost outcome due to variations after the tender process or where the costs are difficult to determine. This is the process that was followed and the original tenders made quite clear that the project was an Events Centre for Cork
    Not anywhere else, if the Gleneagle wanted to object to a publicly supported Event Centre for Cork the appropriate time was at the start of the process where they could have made the argument that a publicly supported Event Centre in Cork would have undermined their venue in Killarney. There is no comparison in terms of the size of venue and if they believe publicly funded conference and event centre's undermine their facility they should have objected to the National Conference Centre and the Bord Gais Energy Theatre but they chose not to.
    They chose to wait until the last possible minute to take a legal challenge to delay and undermine the Cork Event Centre. Everyone in Cork should let them know what they think and carefully consider using their facility ever again. Hoteliers in Cork now need to look at counter their legal options.
    All publicly funded projects or facilities in Kerry are now under the spotlight of unfair competition especially Kerry Airport or any other publicly funded events or facilities that potentially give Kerry hoteliers an unfair advantage over their counterparts elsewhere.
    This will not be forgotten especially as let's be honest about it, this project is now seriously at risk. Why would Live Nation or BAM put anymore time or money into it.
    As for the other comments above about re-tendering, if we lose this then other areas in Ireland will put forward counter proposals, Live Nation involvement would be questionable in any new tender, why would they committ again to a different Cork proposal after this fiasco.The only hope is that the objection by the Gleneagles is dropped. I can't understand how there isn't more pressure on this crowd in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Exactly. BAM may not enter, or even win the new tender process - so be it. On the other hand they may feel they have done a lot of ground work and spent a lot of money getting to this point (not to mention a much increased govt commitment), and with the Sullivans' Quay hotel you mention, the fate of which could tie closely to the EC, they may decide all in its worth it.

I really wanted to see the EC at Beamish and Crawford site for years because of the spin off effect it would have on South Main St, Probys Quay, Lower Barrack street, but over time its failure has become a drain on these already suffering areas. The new plans are a pale imitation of what was originally promised anyway, I dont think the dead frontage is any help to South Main or Probys Quay. If BAM do bail on this and try to put something else into the Beamish site they can expect a Frosty AF reception in planning from councillors, ansd what goes in there will have to be excellent, as it should be.

The whole thing is very sad and emblematic of Cork's decade. To quote Bojo next door we need to stop the dither and delay and DO SOMETHING with this project. Its beyond being beyond the joke

Didn't the original plans have things like artists workshops, retail(?), a gym, a visitor centre (don't know if that's still in there). Oh, and also an event centre! :p

It's starting to look like Mahon Point 2.0 (built conditional on an event/conference centre being included).

who_me wrote: »
    Didn't the original plans have things like artists workshops, retail(?), a gym, a visitor centre (don't know if that's still in there). Oh, and also an event centre! :p

It's starting to look like Mahon Point 2.0 (built conditional on an event/conference centre being included).

According to an article published November 23, 2015 in The Irish Times
    "Coveney confident €50m Cork event centre will be built" was the headline which also suggested that
    Work on project involving Heineken and BAM had been expected to start in Autumn

Apart from a 6,000 seat capacity venue,
    plans for the site were said to also include the following:

* a 360-degree viewing tower
    * a tourist centre in the former brewery’s Counting House on South Main Street.
    * a seven-screen cinema complex,
    * studios for artists,
    * retail units,
    * student accommodation and
    * offices.

I gather much of this has subsequently changed such as the dropping of the 7 screen cinema for instance and I've not heard a whole lot about retail, studios for artists or the 360 degree tower for quite some time either. I suspect we may just end up with the Student Accommodation and offices on the entire site at this rate!

Source:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coveney-confident-50m-cork-event-centre-will-be-built-1.2440648

rebs23 wrote: »
    But there are procedures to vary it especially in projects where there may an unknown cost outcome due to variations after the tender process or where the costs are difficult to determine. This is the process that was followed and the original tenders made quite clear that the project was an Events Centre for Cork
    Not anywhere else, if the Gleneagle wanted to object to a publicly supported Event Centre for Cork the appropriate time was at the start of the process where they could have made the argument that a publicly supported Event Centre in Cork would have undermined their venue in Killarney. There is no comparison in terms of the size of venue and if they believe publicly funded conference and event centre's undermine their facility they should have objected to the National Conference Centre and the Bord Gais Energy Theatre but they chose not to.
    They chose to wait until the last possible minute to take a legal challenge to delay and undermine the Cork Event Centre. Everyone in Cork should let them know what they think and carefully consider using their facility ever again. Hoteliers in Cork now need to look at counter their legal options.
    All publicly funded projects or facilities in Kerry are now under the spotlight of unfair competition especially Kerry Airport or any other publicly funded events or facilities that potentially give Kerry hoteliers an unfair advantage over their counterparts elsewhere.
    This will not be forgotten especially as let's be honest about it, this project is now seriously at risk. Why would Live Nation or BAM put anymore time or money into it.
    As for the other comments above about re-tendering, if we lose this then other areas in Ireland will put forward counter proposals, Live Nation involvement would be questionable in any new tender, why would they committ again to a different Cork proposal after this fiasco.The only hope is that the objection by the Gleneagles is dropped. I can't understand how there isn't more pressure on this crowd in Killarney.

I hear you, and hope youre right - but just to correct the initial argument. Gleneagle/INEC are saying if the funding committed to this now had been available at the start they might have considered tendering i.e. getting a site in Cork and offering to run events, as is their business. By their story they read the request for tender in 2011 or whenever, saw only 13m was on offer and did their sums and realised they couldnt make it work. Fast forward to Jan 2020 they pick up the paper and see the contract for 50m has been awarded for this, and are p'd off that they might have put together a plan under those terms if they had been offered.

I think we all know thats probably BS, but it cuts the tender process off at the knees for shifting the goal posts, and I really dont know what argument you can make against that at this stage. There was some noise made by Simon and Leo about the fact that they took responsibility of the project from dept culture to housing, and that is was a non-repayable grant. No idea what that was supposed to have done, I assumed it was to counter this type of challenge, but would love to be updated if anyone has any ideas.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/state-to-plough-50m-into-stalled-cork-event-centre-project-as-new-funding-deal-announced-973399.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

This seems to have spent years getting "legal advice" so I can only hope that the advice was correct and this shoddy tender process stands up to scrutiny. If not, this will collapse before the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Eoin English reporting that Planning has been upheld.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1240270238052159493

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Green-light-given-for-Cork-events-centre-14b8da34-c73d-4b5e-b5b3-789b7757dfa3-ds

Green light given for Cork events centre
    AN Bord Pleanála has given the green light for the events centre in the heart of Cork city to move ahead.

Cork City Council had granted permission for the development last year, however it was appealed to An Bord Pleanála by both the applicant and a third party.

The third-party appellant hand-delivered their appeal just minutes before the deadline, and it was made on the grounds of commercial over-development in the historic core of Cork city, which is an area that should be developed primarily for tourism.

The individual said that they are in favour of the development at the former Beamish and Crawford site, but believes the revised design submitted by developers BAM are not good enough, and the city deserves better.

Meanwhile, developers BAM also objected to condition 48 of their planning permission, which deals with development contributions.

They claimed that any work assessed and incorporated into the General Development Contribution Scheme cannot be subject to a Special Development Contribution.

They said that the contribution requested for the Crosse’s Green pedestrian/cycle bridge, or the Lamley’s Lane approach street cannot be charged due to being part of the City’s development plans for many years.

However, An Bord Pleanála have now said that the development can proceed, with conditions. Detailed internal designs of the events centre will take six to eight months to complete, and construction wouldn’t be able to begin until that happens.

But given that a judicial review of the development has been sought, it’s not likely the project will get off the ground soon.

Gleneagle Hotel (Killarney) Ltd, who also operate the INEC entertainment venue in Killarney, have sought a judicial review against Cork City Council.

The issue in question is the decision-making process of granting €50m to the project from the Government, and not the actual final decision itself.

The project now cannot move forward until the High Court process is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted some images on Twitter of the design.

https://twitter.com/G_Net3D/status/1240969161750335490

Its nice to see it in higher detail, we were looking at those bleached scanned images for ages. The design could be better, especially on South Main street but I think everyone just wants to see this happen by now - my only hope is that curved front isnt too plasticy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see BAM are having issues with the childrens hospital now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

So, will it be done before this Covid-19 crisis is over?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That's a great design, tbf.

Shame it'll never get built.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That's a great design, tbf.

Shame it'll never get built.....

I much rathered the original.

Cork-Event-Centre-large.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I much rathered the original.

Cork-Event-Centre-large.png

Gosh that was much better looking wasn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

TheChizler wrote: »
    Gosh that was much better looking wasn't it

Yup. The difference is night and day.
    I find those large brownish plates along the sides of the new design awful..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yup. The difference is night and day.
    I find those large brownish plates along the sides of the new design awful..
    It's not even the colour of them for me it's the lack of openings, basically a big wall overlooking the river

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

it's no Guggenheim that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

who_ru wrote: »
    it's no Guggenheim that's for sure.
    Which cost “€211 million, half of it from public funds”.
    If this project hits that cost, I’ll expect the Guggenheim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

The High Court challenge by Glen Eagle has been dropped :)

Advertisement