Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poseur cyclists who won't use designated cycle lanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Zillah wrote: »
    That is something special right there.

We got rid of it! The town engineer refused for a long time until........well just look at it!

http://cdn3.independent.ie/migration_catalog/article25382892.ece/11451/ALTERNATES/w620/4fed368c-a8ff-4609-9cff-18c0bad8ea7c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tony EH wrote: »
    Just wait til this becomes a thing...

I see someone commuting on one of those around town on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Each town has its own engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I just cycle on the road, and drive in the cycle lanes, it saves me so much time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Why can't cyclists just get the bus like other people who aren't able to afford a car?

It's really strange that we have this 18th century anachronistic form of transport allowed on our modern highways.

Hands down, this is the best post I've ever read on a "cyclists" thread .......... hilarious, logical and definitely true, thanks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

hardCopy wrote: »

You'd really wonder about the new crackdown on bikes on footpaths, when there are so many examples where they are explicitly directing you onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ally Dick wrote: »
    These people drive me bananas. Where I live, there are decent cycle lanes...however there's a class of cyclist out there who dresses in all of the gear, who refuses to use them, and would instead prefer to hold up the traffic. This really has to stop. As I have said before, there is less and less room for cyclists on the road now, so they need to consider cutting down on it, and at least using cycle lanes where they exist

I'm sick if trying to cycle through the city and being held up by drivers not in their designated lanes. Fup off out of the bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Hands down, this is the best post I've ever read on a "cyclists" thread .......... hilarious, logical and definitely true, thanks!! :D

It would be funny only to those who are clueless as to the price of a decent bike........

.......hint: they cost more than most Taxsaver tickets, and a good few cars ;)

Why can't cyclists just get the bus like other people who aren't able to afford a car?

It's really strange that we have this 18th century anachronistic form of transport allowed on our modern highways.

There'd be uproar if the 1890s internal combustion engined vehicles were banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

you forgot original

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So OP what's your plan? Do you reckon we should simply segregate cyclists from motorists? Invest in a dedicated cycling infrastructure, similar to places like the Netherlands. Then adopt similar rule such as the one where fault lies with the motorist should there be any accident between motorist and cyclist

I think you may be onto something here. Maybe we should divert all spending on roads for a few years into dedicated cycling facilities. That way everyone's safer. Of course it would mean sacrificing current road space for the sole use of cyclists.

Think you may be onto something here OP. Who do I vote for to ensure your plan gets due consideration and hopefully rapid implementation? Long term hopefully that will result in even more motorists switching to bikes. That will help reduce congestion and improve your own life. Indeed if you then use a bike to get around we can all be winners .....

Beasty wrote: »
    So OP what's your plan? Do you reckon we should simply segregate cyclists from motorists? Invest in a dedicated cycling infrastructure, similar to places like the Netherlands. Then adopt similar rule such as the one where fault lies with the motorist should there be any accident between motorist and cyclist

I think you may be onto something here. Maybe we should divert all spending on roads for a few years into dedicated cycling facilities. That way everyone's safer. Of course it would mean sacrificing current road space for the sole use of cyclists.

Think you may be onto something here OP. Who do I vote for to ensure your plan gets due consideration and hopefully rapid implementation? Long term hopefully that will result in even more motorists switching to bikes. That will help reduce congestion and make improve your own life. Indeed if you then use a bike to get around we can all be winners .....

Ah, speaking of poseur cyclists.......welcome to the thread @beasty :D

Jawgap wrote: »
    It would be funny only to those who are clueless as to the price of a decent bike........

.......hint: they cost more than most Taxsaver tickets, and a good few cars ;)

But cars cost more to run! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I can understand why cyclists don't use certain cycle paths (on the way into town (yeah, that's right, town), the N11 near RTE is particularly poor in both directions), but it's very annoying when they use the bus lane and the traffic is too heavy for the bus to safely overtake the cyclist. Seems a bit unfair that 70 or 80 people can be delayed by a single cyclist.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah, speaking of poseur cyclists.......welcome to the thread @beasty :D
    I'm a pedestrian, motorist, user of public transport (where first class is available anyway:P) as well as peddler of fast bikes Jawgap.......

But cars cost more to run! ;)

They do - and just think how much money (about 7c for every km you drive) you hand over to the government.

Every time I cycle to work I stick the money I save in a jar to spend on other stuff.

The roads are for automobiles, thats just how it is, regardless of any bs references about how they were originally for donkies and carts.

Oh but the law says ye carriage is legal pon foote path and yonder new fangled bi-cycle mobile pon the kings high way.

Too lazy to find the link, but the roads were originally made for bicycles.

They do - and just think how much money (about 7c for every km you drive) you hand over to the government.

Every time I cycle to work I stick the money I save in a jar to spend on other stuff.
    Hang on there Jawgap - you may save money by bicycling everwhere, but some of us treat our bicycles as consumables and replace on the mere hint of a puncture .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Is there "less and less room for cyclists on the road now"? :confused: When did this happen?

Dick bought a bigger car I imagine...

• Advertisement

I love driving! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I must admit to being a man who is volte-face when it comes to cyclists. When I'm driving the 5-Series into work of a morning, I always despair at the mindless actions of cyclists (and this is in Germany, not Ireland). Almost nonchalant contempt for the fact that a 2000 kg example of precision German engineering is within 50cm as they break so many rules of the road.

I see the other side of the argument when I head out for a cycle in the mountains at the weekend. I'm a very conscientious road user. This is a rural setting. Car drivers seem to act out their grievances towards cyclists if it involves sharing a road on a difficult climb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Beasty wrote: »
    Hang on there Jawgap - you may save money by bicycling everwhere, but some of us treat our bicycles as consumables and replace on the mere hint of a puncture .....

Yes, it is my habit too - I keep, the chain and change the bike.

Actually, I probably spend more on cycling stuff than I do on car stuff (company car :))

......and I had satnav on the bike long before I had one in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

When I'm driving the 5-Series

So nouveau... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

McGaggs wrote: »
    Too lazy to find the link, but the roads were originally made for bicycles.

So what.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Maybe someone got stuck in the frankly mental traffic in Dublin this morning and saw folks like me navigate their way to work by way of bike while passing many dozens of cars etc and just got annoyed.

I was the only person not late for l today out of 5, I was the only one on a bike. Anytime I have been late its because I've been in traffic l

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fags'n'booze.... doh!

:P

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Fags'n'booze.... doh!

:P

Yep,

And the rest I just wasted :D

Advertisement