Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poseur cyclists who won't use designated cycle lanes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Very true but again, I don't see why cyclists are singled out especially in a country where it's unusual not to see motorists do dangerous things any time you are out on a road.

Because they aren't stuck in traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

callaway92 wrote: »
    They are the biggest cunce going.

Cyclists in general or these lads?

Zillah wrote: »
    God, that drives me nuts. Have you ever gone through Templeogue village? It looks like they painted a 1cm layer of red grit onto it and it's 75% disintegrated now - it's a joke. Just look.

Once it wears off is it still a cycle lane?

I assume once its not painted read its dangerous. As that would be cycling on the path. In that case the road would not be dangerous. Because its only dangerous when the path is painted red.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

God, that drives me nuts. Have you ever gone through Templeogue village? It looks like they painted a 1cm layer of red grit onto it and it's 75% disintegrated now - it's a joke. Just look.

Doesn't bother me. I just stay on the nice black Tarmac bit. The patchy red bit tends to be full of pedestrians at busy times. Unfortunately, the Tarmac bit tends to be full of single occupant cars. Causing tailbacks. Perhaps cars should be banned from Templeogue village?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You hear that, kids? No more 1980s kit, apparently it's dangerous to other people.
    They can try and take my road space, but they'll never take my KAS jersey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Cycle lanes are there for a reason,use them,surely it ain't that hard,if you stray from them I don't think you're going to win against a few ton of moving steel. :)

They are not everywhere, as I'm sure you well know unless you are a particularly unobservant motorist, a worrying trait in a driver.

And many good reasons have been given for not using them, the most pertinent that it can be more dangerous for cyclists to use them than not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

As a cyclist I hold the centre of the road, don't give and inch. The feckers would have you in the ditch if they could. Hold your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Motorists & Cyclists* are all retards.

Push Scooters FTW ! :D

*bike has a flat tire at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    They are not everywhere, as I'm sure you well know unless you are a particularly unobservant motorist, a worrying trait in a driver.

And many good reasons have been given for not using them, the most pertinent that it can be more dangerous for cyclists to use them than not to.

I never said they were everywere but hey its your life kiddo if you want to play chicken in the middle of the road,I'll be sitting in My two tons of steel looking on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There are more cars than ever on the roads now. Anyone can see it. It's too dangerous for cyclists now, and they can also cause huge tailbacks when they do go out. They don't even obey cycle lanes !

Instead of selective hearing you have selective eye sight. It has already been pointed out that it's not illegal and there are many reasons not to use bike lanes.

So, what about the motorists that drive in bike lanes and park in them holding up cyclists resulting in holding up other road users?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

OP is just sad he doesnt look as sexy as me in lycra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Frankly most of you just look like 'sticks of liquorice' mounted on two circular razor blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

beauf wrote: »
    Once it wears off is it still a cycle lane?

I assume once its not painted read its dangerous. As that would be cycling on the path. In that case the road would not be dangerous. Because its only dangerous when the path is painted red.

While we're complaining about terrible cycle lanes, check out this stupidity.

Along the whole length of that road they shove the cycle lane to the side at every single side road, which has the effect of A) Forcing the cyclist to slalom their whole way along, and B) Deny cyclists right off way along the main road by pushing them into a position where they are effectively 'crossing' the side road. It's bloody dangerous creating a system with such confusing right of way, and it's incredibly annoying that the planner seemed to contrive a way to demote cyclists in favour of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Frankly most of you just look like 'sticks of liquorice' mounted on two circular razor blades.

How very odd.

Liquorice and circular razor blades?

More like, sleek, fit, sexy bastards with calves of steel, relentless pistons for legs, the focus of a disciplined ninja, a core strength stronger that the gravitational pull of Uranus, solid quads that are the envy of any power lifter, the lung capacity of a free diver.

Ya jealous bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

How very odd.

Liquorice and circular razor blades?

More like, sleek, fit, sexy bastards with calves of steel, relentless pistons for legs, the focus of a disciplined ninja, a core strength stronger that the gravitational pull of Uranus, solid quads that are the envy of any power lifter, the lung capacity of a free diver.

Ya jealous bastard!

Tosser :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While we're complaining about terrible cycle lanes, check out this stupidity.

Look at this magic:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3366846,-6.2990159,3a,75y,230.63h,50.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s37TELoLOZhx4nlW8SPvPzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why can't cyclists just get the bus like other people who aren't able to afford a car?

I'll hazard a guess that my bikes probably cost more than your car ;)

Lost 35 kg a few years ago after I started cycling. Healthier now than pretty much any time in my adult life. I enjoy cycling ( in pretty much any weather).

Oh and I tend to find I can cycle into work as fast as I can drive in rushour traffic

Boom_Bap wrote: »

It genuinely seems some road planners have an agenda to demote cyclists.
    Tony EH wrote: »

What's wrong with that? As you approach the junction you fire off your jump jets for three to four seconds, coast above the heads of the pedestrians, and land back in the cycle lane on the other side.

What's wrong with that? As you approach the junction you fire off your jump jets for three to four seconds, coast above the heads of the pedestrians, and land back in the cycle lane on the other side.

Ahhh...feckin jump jets! I knew I was missing something.

Your bike must look brilliant. I Jelly.:(

• Advertisement

Korvanica wrote: »
    Motorists & Cyclists* are all retards.

Push Scooters FTW ! :D

*bike has a flat tire at the moment

http://mypaper.pchome.com.tw/kickbiketw

Just wait til this becomes a thing...

That's a future Darwin award...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Tony EH wrote: »

:eek: :mad:

That's just batshít insane. Is it a requirement for these planners/designers to have an IQ somewhere below 60?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

***Nothing at all... Nothing at all... Nothing at alll***

Stupid sexy cyclists.

Look at it from the other side.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3362353,-6.2985877,3a,75y,270.78h,53.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX7Zfg7KV-DmmId1s_mW5sg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Can you imagine cycling along and this comes up...

"noony noony noony noo.......wait! WTF!!!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

This is how cycle lanes are done in Dundalk!

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/36.jpg

:pac:

Ah...holy jesus....

• Advertisement

jaffusmax wrote: »
    This is how cycle lanes are done in Dundalk!

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/36.jpg

That is something special right there.

Advertisement