Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poseur cyclists who won't use designated cycle lanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Thanks for the patronising comment. I'm aware of other cycling threads. We need to keep getting the message out there so that cyclists change their ways, or give up

The "message" has been seen before though.

it was shite then and it's still shite. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's not, it's the pigeons. They take up too much space in a particularly crumby side of road.

It's the crumbs. Attracting pigeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

These people drive me bananas. Where I live, there are decent cycle lanes...however there's a class of cyclist out there who dresses in all of the gear, who refuses to use them, and would instead prefer to hold up the traffic. This really has to stop. As I have said before, there is less and less room for cyclists on the road now, so they need to consider cutting down on it, and at least using cycle lanes where they exist

There are less than 100km of 'decent' (and by that I mean safe as well as convenient) cycle lanes in the country.

Plus, in many cases if you use the cycle lanes you effectively give up the right of way you enjoy on the road and increase your risk of getting clipped by someone coming out from a house entrance.....

......then there's the fact very few cycle lanes are maintained once they've been establshed.

.....or cleaned - any cycle lane under trees at the moment (Fairview and Drumcondra for example) are, I guarantee you, covered in slippery, sh!tty, leaf mulch.

Safer, better and faster to use the road most of the time.

Build, maintain and clean cycle lanes properly and people will use them.

Oh, and that's even before you get to pedestrians, kids, dogwalkers etc wandering all over off road cycle tracks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

endacl wrote: »
    It's the crumbs. Attracting pigeons.
    So do we blame the bakers, wheat? flour?

Yeast. It's the f*cking yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

These people drive me bananas. Where I live, there are decent cycle lanes...

In Ireland? I doubt it.

The vast vast majority of cycle lanes are absolutely crap for anything more than a toddler on a Sunday jaunt.

Weaving in and out of bus stops.

Disappearing into the ether and reappearing 100 metres up the road.

"Cyclists Dismount"

Diverting way off course to cross a roundabout.

• Advertisement

The idiots who dress up like Sean Kelly climbing up the Alps need to removed from the road. They are a danger to themselves and other road users.

ah here...... at least pick a cyclist who can climb ;) and one from recent times.....

Try Chris Froome next time.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Something must be done to reduce the number of cars on the road. They're constantly causing tailbacks on my commute into work and increasing the amount of time it takes me to get in. There's too many of them.

:pac::pac::pac:

What can be possibly done?

I wonder what other kind of vehicle could be used instead? What kind of vehicle could we encourage car users to use instead of the car, especially on short commutes?

It's a quandary...

:pac:

Jawgap wrote: »
    .....or cleaned - any cycle lane under trees at the moment (Fairview and Drumcondra for example) are, I guarantee you, covered in slippery, sh!tty, leaf mulch.

...and that shit is seriously dangerous. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Where cycle lanes are present they should be kept free of hazardous debris such as broken glass by local authorities and it should be compulsory for cyclists to use them. It's not illegal for anyone to walk on a road (motorways aside), but it just isn't particularly safe or clever so people don't tend to do it. Cyclists however feel they have the right to do as they please, which they are currently entitled to, even though they put themselves and others at risk in the process. Motorists have a duty of care towards pedestrians and cyclists but it would sometimes appear that some cyclists take little to no responsibility for their own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Cyclists as a whole on a road isn't an issue. It's the one who use the road but don't follow the rules of the road that are dangerous. Like not stopping at a red light where pedestrians are crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Driving through the city centre there last week and came up to a set of lights,cyclist comes up on the inside of me,stops and proceeds to push my passenger mirror in so he could move up another two foot...light turns green and I say fcuk this and take off after him and pull the van in at a angle in front of him,roll down the window and literally roar at him to fix the mirror back to the way it was....some absolute tits on bicycles going around the city!

Were you blocking a cycle lane at the time, out of curiosity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

The roads are for automobiles, thats just how it is, regardless of any bs references about how they were originally for donkies and carts.

Oh but the law says ye carriage is legal pon foote path and yonder new fangled bi-cycle mobile pon the kings high way.

Yeah very good. In the meantime engineers arent really thinking about rubber shorts wearing fantasists when designing a network for transporting workers and goods.

Cyclists are a menace to towns and main roads and crowded areas and should be banned from them.
    Councils should stop cleaning up broken glass from busy roadsides, maybe even start putting it down on certain roadsides so these buffoons who are divorced..from reality can get a bus or walk or get a cheap moped or car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Or maybe they shouldn't be on the road in the first place :)

Rude pedestrians, cyclists and motorists? Sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    FOok off ya little thanks whore repeating your own fooking repeated ad fooking nauseum poxy threads.

Unfortunately you were 26 posts too late

TallGlass wrote: »
    Gotta love these threads as both a motorist and a cyclist. I am on both sides of the fence see both sides.

Cycle lanes are sometimes unsafe and most importantly unclear at times.

As a motorist, some cyclists can be outright a danger to other road users including other cyclists.

Just as there as many people that can't drive there's the people who don't know how to ride a bike safely.

Nobody said otherwise. People simply object to calls for ALL cyclists to be removed from the road simply because somebody saw a cyclist do something stupid or dangerous. If that's the rule then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Zillah wrote: »
    Were you blocking a cycle lane at the time, out of curiosity?

Nope,different story if I was I'd hold my hand up but that crap irks me,it would be like me coming up to a set of lights with a cyclist in front of me with his blinking visibility light on and I got and turned it off,took off and then he pulled up in front of me on his 10kg "weapon" and roared at me to turn it back on.I wouldn't say he had anger issues,I'd say I was being an a55hole,I had absolutaly no right to do that,I was in the wrong and apologise like a decent human being.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Rude pedestrians, cyclists and motorists? Sure. :)

Cycle lanes are there for a reason,use them,surely it ain't that hard,if you stray from them I don't think you're going to win against a few ton of moving steel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

In the meantime engineers arent really thinking about rubber shorts wearing fantasists when designing a network for transporting workers and goods.

They are thinking about it in other more mature and developed countries. Just not in backwards Ireland. So until out planners start considering this, I guess you'll just have to suck it up and rant about it here every 5 weeks when these threads come along :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Cycle lanes are there for a reason,use them,surely it ain't that hard,if you stray from them I don't think you're going to win against a few ton of moving steel. :)

Imagine if you will that you wish to travel from Swords to Bray.
    Will you choose the city roads or take the m50?

This is an analogy.
    It may blow your mind.

Whatever reason they're there for - it rarely has anything to do with cycling.

Most of the time it's just to allow de Minister or de Council to announce "Hey, we're brilliant! We've thousands of kilometers of painted road cycle lanes."

It's either that or they know the guy who sells the red sandy stuff they use to surface them that breaks up after the first winter :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone who says cycle lanes should be mandatory for cyclists has never ridden a bike on an irish cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I'll also just leave this here:

http://trafitec.dk/sites/default/files/publications/bicycle%20tracks%20and%20lanes.pdf

TLDR; cycle paths are less safe at intersections.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Can we stop bringing facts into the conversation and get back to talking about lunatics wearing rubber shorts?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cycle lanes are there for a reason,use them,surely it ain't that hard...

You could same the same for those electronic voting machines.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/54m-voting-machines-scrapped-for-9-each-26870212.html

beauf wrote: »
    You could same the same for those electronic voting machines.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/54m-voting-machines-scrapped-for-9-each-26870212.html

Don forget the €400,000 to store them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Rezident

I don't use cycle lanes because I can't. There are always cars and vans and buses parked in them so i would have to serve in and out of traffic which is risky, as in I could be killed. Safer to stay in the road and not swerve in and out.

Show me a cycle lane with no vans, buses etc parked in them. It happens every single morning. 100 % of the time.

Can we stop bringing facts into the conversation and get back to talking about lunatics wearing rubber shorts?

Thanks.

Rubber shorts?

What cyclists are YOU looking at.

*shudder*

Imagine the chafing...jesus...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The roads are for automobiles, thats just how it is, regardless of any bs references about how they were originally for donkies and carts.

Oh but the law says ye carriage is legal pon foote path and yonder new fangled bi-cycle mobile pon the kings high way.

Yeah very good. In the meantime engineers arent really thinking about rubber shorts wearing fantasists when designing a network for transporting workers and goods.

Cyclists are a menace to towns and main roads and crowded areas and should be banned from them.
    Councils should stop cleaning up broken glass from busy roadsides, maybe even start putting it down on certain roadsides so these buffons who are divorced..from reality can get a bus or walk or get a cheap moped or car.

Eh, no.

Cars are the dominant menace on our roads. How many people are killed on our roads each year by cars? How many in the last century by bikes?

Engineers in other countries have long recognised that cycling infrastructure is the future and should rightly be prioritised. That's why Oslo, Madrid, Paris and even our own backward little city (in a small way) are banning cars from crowded city centres.

Cars don't bring any benefits to cities, there is at least a benefit to goods vehicles and buses.

Cars are the problem, bikes are the solution. Get outta the way.

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Cyclists as a whole on a road isn't an issue. It's the one who use the road but don't follow the rules of the road that are dangerous. Like not stopping at a red light where pedestrians are crossing.

Very true but again, I don't see why cyclists are singled out especially in a country where it's unusual not to see motorists do dangerous things any time you are out on a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's either that or they know the guy who sells the red sandy stuff they use to surface them that breaks up after the first winter :D

God, that drives me nuts. Have you ever gone through Templeogue village? It looks like they painted a 1cm layer of red grit onto it and it's 75% disintegrated now - it's a joke. Just look.

Advertisement