Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poseur cyclists who won't use designated cycle lanes

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yep,

And the rest I just waste :D
    George Best got there before you, although he had "birds" on his list, and fast cars - see what good they did him. Bet he's still be here if he had taken up bicycling when he gave up playing soccerball.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I drive and cycle, rarely at the same time.

This afternoon I was cycling, in a cycle lane coming up to a roundabout (on the Western Distributor Road near the Clybaun Hotel in Galway). The cycle lane ends about 10m before the roundabout, merging with the road. I was going straight ahead at the roundabout (standard 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock exits) so stayed over on the left side of the road. But as I was coming to the roundabout and looking for traffic already on it, I saw that a car had come alongside me on the right (ok, very wide road) and then started veering very sharply to the left (not ok).
    I had to brake very suddenly, as if I'd kept going at even a fraction of my previous speed the driver definitely would've run into me (by the time they straightened out and entered the roundabout they were right over to the far left of this very wide road).
    My initial thought was that they were taking the first exit and hadn't seen me, but it's a very long straight road, almost impossible not to see a cyclist in front of you, and they didn't indicate. In the end they went straight ahead while I stood at the side of the road in shock, having just avoided a possible serious injury or worse.
    I genuinely can't fathom what the driver was trying to do. I can only imagine they wanted to hit me, drive me off the road, or stop me from getting on the roundabout before them (they could have easily overtaken me without crossing into the other lane before the roundabout though).
    It's truly terrifying to see such psychopathic behaviour on the roads.

But of course I'd never consider this driver to be representative of all Irish motorists and start a thread making generalisations about all drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Beasty wrote: »
    George Best got there before you, although he had "birds" on his list, and fast cars - see what good they did him. Bet he's still be here if he had taken up bicycling when he gave up playing soccerball.....

Yeah, I should've acknowledged him as the source.

I still have to replicate his Miss World story / experience :D

Bet George did more riding than the rest of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Why can't cyclists just get the bus like other people who aren't able to afford a car?

It's really strange that we have this 18th century anachronistic form of transport allowed on our modern highways.

Posing on a public bus just isn't the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I was on a stag .

Here I am feeling smug riding a nice cyclocross and a decent hybrid, then YOU come along riding a fooking STAG of all things!..

Show off :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

The idiots who dress up like Sean Kelly climbing up the Alps need to removed from the road. They are a danger to themselves and other road users.

Hear, hear my good man!
    The last thing we need is another Sean Kelly being the No1 cyclist in the world for 5 years and bringing international success to these shores!
    Best to discourage any potential future Kellys or Roches you might encounter on the roads by swerving towards them and reminding them of how dangerous they are.

Now, when cycling in the winter/autumn months, I choose to wear a fine tweed suit with matching waistcoat, cravat, and deerstalker hat, and I puff upon a mahogany pipe stuffed with a quality pungent tobacco.
    During the summer months, I generally freewheel around town sporting a beret, striped breton jumper with a neckerchief fashioned from garlic cloves.
    NOTE: During the Tour de France, the pipe is replaced by a menthol gitanes, naturally.

CPL 593H

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bleedin' bicyclists are getting in everyone's way - even taking over AH now. Why can't they stay in their place, over in the Bicycling forum and give the ranter and raver his 10 seconds of fame over here:mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I blame the parents!

Gettin' their kids hooked on two wheels, fancy pumps, flashy lights and illuminous kit.

Kids grow up and cant get enough of that velo stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

sullivlo wrote: »
    Yeay. Another cyclist bashing thread! I love these.

On my commute to work there is a cycle lane that is shared with pedestrians. The pedestrians always walk in the cycle lane. Said cycle lane is also always full of glass and any time I've cycled in it I've got a puncture. Therefore I cycle on the road.

Cycle lanes are not compulsory for cyclists to use.

Pedestrians walking on a pavement. The cheek of them :rolleyes:.

I blame the parents!
    Whoa!! Don't bring me into this ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

And the man trying to drive the car out of Dublin City, Mr Owen "I Hate Garth" Keegan is a keen cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

If he's such a keen cyclist what's he doing driving a car out of dublin city?

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Jawgap wrote: »
    Boy George did more riding than the rest of us!

Ye filty beast ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ally Dick wrote: »
    And the man trying to drive the car out of Dublin City, Mr Owen "I Hate Garth" Keegan is a keen cyclist

Dublin city center would be far nicer with no private cars in it.
    Why anyone would drive into the city anyway is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

fizzypish wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha ha I live in the Netherlands. Cyclists are second only to god and the police.

That's third!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dublin city center would be far nicer with no private cars in it.
    Why anyone would drive into the city anyway is beyond me.

I know people who drive to work...a 15 minute walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tony EH wrote: »
    I know people who drive to work...a 15 minute walk away.

I see roly poly people dropping roly poly kids to the primary school round the corner every morning. All local. Most within a five minute waddle of the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Why can't cyclists just get the bus like other people who aren't able to afford a car?

It's really strange that we have this 18th century anachronistic form of transport allowed on our modern highways.

:) Love it!

To be serious (sorry to do this - this thread has made me smile for 10 minutes), the OP has a point.

Cyclists do use some of the bike lanes: the ones that are properly built, away from cars and pleasurable to cycle on, like the great cycle road along the Grand Canal from Rathmines to Baggot Street. We need more cycle roads like this: separated cycle paths where bikes and cars seldom meet.

However… ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine. We have to mind each other.

366543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I love the stupidity of motorists ranting about cyclists holding up traffic.

It's not like cars ever clog up our streets and motorways. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RayM wrote: »
    I can understand why cyclists don't use certain cycle paths (on the way into town (yeah, that's right, town), the N11 near RTE is particularly poor in both directions), but it's very annoying when they use the bus lane and the traffic is too heavy for the bus to safely overtake the cyclist. Seems a bit unfair that 70 or 80 people can be delayed by a single cyclist.

That's my cummute, the bus will stop at one of the stops that are located every 200m and the cyclist will move on. The net affect is that the cyclist doesn't hold up the bus. What holds up the busses are the cars joining the N11 who constantly break the lights at brewery road and oat lands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

nullzero wrote: »
    Where cycle lanes are present they should be kept free of hazardous debris such as broken glass by local authorities and it should be compulsory for cyclists to use them. It's not illegal for anyone to walk on a road (motorways aside), but it just isn't particularly safe or clever so people don't tend to do it. Cyclists however feel they have the right to do as they please, which they are currently entitled to, even though they put themselves and others at risk in the process. Motorists have a duty of care towards pedestrians and cyclists but it would sometimes appear that some cyclists take little to no responsibility for their own safety.

Cyclist want to arrive alive, many cycle lanes are more dangerous than using the road , so cyclists will use the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

(on the Western Distributor Road near the Clybaun Hotel in Galway).

Such a beautiful, evocative name for a road, I always think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Such a beautiful, evocative name for a road, I always think.

Bóthar Dáileoir an Iarthair… poetry to the ears…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Ally Dick wrote: »

How do you know so much about what happens in the surface world from under your bridge?

A cyclist made it from the Tuam Rd to Claregalway faster than me yesterday evening.

I was only a little jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

endacl wrote: »
    I see roly poly people dropping roly poly kids to the primary school round the corner every morning. All local. Most within a five minute waddle of the school.

No doubt, but in fairness, some could be then driving on to their roly poly jobs after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

There's a few roly poly XXXL lycra poseurs out there too. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I love the stupidity of motorists ranting about cyclists holding up traffic.

It's not like cars ever clog up our streets and motorways. :rolleyes:

"I'm stuck in this traffic jam I've helped to create - who can I blame".

In all seriousness though I can understand the motorists frustration. I Cycle from carpenterstown to merrion square every morning - 35 mins door to door. I pass a line of cars from basically castleknock through the Phoenix park and on to the quays on the worst of mornings - and that's before you hit the mess up around Christchurch. Why someone would sit in this daily and do the same again in the evening when other viable alternatives are there - is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

endacl wrote: »

Ya didn't see me, I dont drive.

• Advertisement

Ya didn't see me, I dont drive.

Do you waddle though?

Advertisement