Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

The most annoying guy in my gym just arrived. Handily takes an hour to deadlift. He's starting on 5kg bumper plates now and will slowly work his way up to around 160kg. He'll then leave the bar sitting there with that on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I miss annoying ass holes in the gym I take it all back I'm sorry!
    Can we just open the gym now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve been training at an outdoor gym thing by the beach in Spain. This is becoming a regular sight:

There are a couple of russians working out most days. (I know they’re Russian because they told me). Both built like robocop, one of them had to be on the 'roids.

This was one of their set:

* arrives, chats with his mate for a bit.
    * Throws ball for his dog twice
    * Does a few pulls up on the bar.
    * throws ball for his dog twice
    * talks to his mate
    * does a couple of squats with a db
    * talks to his mate

That took him an hour

I mean it’s not much to moan about but I feel that I’m not working out properly unless I’ve something to moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

faceman wrote: »
    That took him an hour

I mean it’s not much to moan about but I feel that I’m not working out properly unless I’ve something to moan about.
    Sounds like he goes to the beach with his dog, and the bars are just there.
    Does he notice you had your notebook out? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ve been training at an outdoor gym thing by the beach in Spain. This is becoming a regular sight:

There are a couple of russians working out most days. (I know they’re Russian because they told me). Both built like robocop, one of them had to be on the 'roids.

* talks to his mate
    * talks to his mate

That took him an hour

Maybe it was his dog that was out training. #interval sprints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dear diary,
    Ugh, I was out for a walk with the dog the other day and spotted one of my mates working out on the beach so headed over for a chat, did a few random pull ups just as I was there and then I noticed this weird pale fella was literally tracking my every move!
    Just to mess with his head I started doing random exercises mixed with talking to my dog...some people are so weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

If they're built like robocop sounds like they're doing something right...... They had a dog and a ball you say......

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Zillah wrote: »
    I have seen a few examples recently of people using the assisted pull-up machine for what I can only imagine is the lightest leg workout imaginable: they put one foot on it with a large counter-weight and push it down with their foot for, like, fifty reps. What does this do for you that body-weight squats don't - am I missing something? Looks like a great way to waste a piece of equipment.

This is far more likely to be a glute workout than a leg workout. You could argue the leg press is better and probably is if you use a band around knees, but you may just get a better contraction/range with it

gagomes wrote: »
    This is far more likely to be a glute workout than a leg workout. You could argue the leg press is better and probably is if you use a band around knees, but you may just get a better contraction/range with it

The gluten are a leg muscle.
    The muscle it’s working is irrelevant. The issue is people programming exercises like that for other are clueless and likely just copying dumb this they see online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Mellor wrote: »
    The muscle it’s working is irrelevant. The issue is people programming exercises like that for other are clueless and likely just copying dumb this they see online.

I agree with you that theres an abundance of absolutely rubbish new exercise methods out there and personal trainer programing appears to be based of Instagram amateurs.

BUT...... and you'll probably disagree..

The glute is not a leg muscle.

It is its own independent nation. The glute plays a role in certain leg / hip / pelvic movements but I would always class it as separate to leg.

It's also responsible for some of the most ridiculous made up hocus pocus training moves of modern times.

I've been training 23 years now and in the last 3 years I've never laughed so much in the gym!

Baffled as to how I managed to develop a fantastic arse by just doing hip thrusts, sissy squats, glute bridges, single leg kickbacks... Yet the modern day gym rat has an arsenal of hybrid moves and have little to show for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

italodisco wrote: »
    I agree with you that theres an abundance of absolutely rubbish new exercise methods out there and personal trainer programing appears to be based of Instagram amateurs.

It is its own independent nation. The glute plays a role in certain leg / hip / pelvic movements but I would always class it as separate to leg.

It's also responsible for some of the most ridiculous made up hocus pocus training moves of modern times.

I've been training 23 years now and in the last 3 years I've never laughed so much in the gym!

Baffled as to how I managed to develop a fantastic arse by just doing hip thrusts, sissy squats, glute bridges, single leg kickbacks... Yet the modern day gym rat has an arsenal of hybrid moves and have little to show for it

If people without legs have glutes then the glutes are not leg muscles!

GreeBo wrote: »

Never thought of it that way but good point.

Big glutes, hips and legs trump big guns any day.

Light a candle for those of us with average calves though haha

That was the point. It’s a silly exercise licked off instagram. That could be done better with out.

You can go more and more detailed specifics with any group. Like the VMO being a quadricep muscle, but at the top level it’s also a leg muscle.

I’m pretty sure the glutes only role is articulation of the femur, and movement of the hip. Leg bone, leg joint. Can’t see how it’s belongs anywhere other than leg day.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    If they are missing part of a leg, they will. But If they are missing the entire leg. They won’t have intact/functioning glutes without a femur to attach to.

But I’d assume most amputations are partial limb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

* talks to his mate
    * talks to his mate

That took him an hour

I am surprised they didn't turn around and throw the ball at the weirdo staring at them...:D

I’m pretty sure the glutes only role is articulation of the femur, and movement of the hip. Leg bone, leg joint. Can’t see how it’s belongs anywhere other than leg day.

That's highly debatable, for most folk trotting around flyfit or paying a personal trainer who has a diploma from the National Training Centre then glutes would be trained on leg day, but for those who have gone beyond beginner/intermediate stage and are into the advanced stage of training it is more typical for their programing to consider the glutes as separate to the legs.

It is highly taxing on the Central Nervous System to give the glutes the level of intensity they need on the same day as hammering the quadriceps, unless the individual is running anabolic compounds.

Then again this is subjective and all depends on the training methods.

I will train quads and calves in an hours time. I will do 4 sets of reverse pyramid front squats, followed by 3 sets of back squats with heels raised on wooden block. Then I will do 6 sets of sissy squats using different foot positioning. Then onto 6 sets of high rep calf raise followed by 3 sets of 'near to failure' heavy as hell calf raises.

Then on Saturday I will give a whole morning to my glutes and hips covering the max/medial and minimus along with abductors etc.

I would need to be airlifted to hospital if I tried to put that all together, and that's not forgetting hamstrings which I do on back day!!!!

Yep, I'm a bit nuts, but extremely proud of my legs and glutes. Obsessed even!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I’m pretty sure the glutes only role is articulation of the femur, and movement of the hip. Leg bone, leg joint.

Would you consider the deltoid an arm muscle?

That's highly debatable...

I assume you are not referring to the function part you quoted.
    I could be wrong on that. But I don't think I am.
    Then on Saturday I will give a whole morning to my glutes and hips covering the max/medial and minimus along with abductors etc.

I would need to be airlifted to hospital if I tried to put that all together, and that's not forgetting hamstrings which I do on back day!!!!
    Where did I sat anything about putting it all together?
    Glutes and hips is a leg day. You just happen to do two leg days. ;)

JayRoc wrote: »
    Would you consider the deltoid an arm muscle?

Yes. For the reasons above.
    Arm Muscle > Shoulder Muscle > Deltoids > Individual muscles

Shoulders are basically arm arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Must remember that the next time I'm rolling and get locked up 'agh my arm arse'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Shoulders are basically arm arses.

Haha fair enough...that was exactly my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

But for those who have gone beyond beginner/intermediate stage and are into the advanced stage of training it is more typical for their programing to consider the glutes as separate to the legs.

You're talking about maybe 1% of the population, probably far less. Like so few people that it's almost not even worth talking about unless you're a professional bodybuilder whose glutes can only be trained hard once per week.

Vast vast majority of people doing any kind of resistance training will likely optimise strength and muscle gain by doing a split that is more general in nature, where leg/hip muscles are trained on same day (e.g. upper|lower, full body).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That's highly debatable, for most folk trotting around flyfit or paying a personal trainer who has a diploma from the National Training Centre then glutes would be trained on leg day, but for those who have gone beyond beginner/intermediate stage and are into the advanced stage of training it is more typical for their programing to consider the glutes as separate to the legs.

It is highly taxing on the Central Nervous System to give the glutes the level of intensity they need on the same day as hammering the quadriceps, unless the individual is running anabolic compounds.

Then again this is subjective and all depends on the training methods.

I will train quads and calves in an hours time. I will do 4 sets of reverse pyramid front squats, followed by 3 sets of back squats with heels raised on wooden block. Then I will do 6 sets of sissy squats using different foot positioning. Then onto 6 sets of high rep calf raise followed by 3 sets of 'near to failure' heavy as hell calf raises.

Yep, I'm a bit nuts, but extremely proud of my legs and glutes. Obsessed even!

Pics or GTFO.

Joke!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

I beg to differ. Glutes form the gluteal muscle group and although part of the same kinetic chain as legs, they are it's own muscle group.

I could maybe agree with regards to people programming, especially the gimmicky tiktoker' training generation, but alas, at the end of the day, people choose to do what they believe is giving them the results they seek. Wisdom doesn't come to us in a day, and even those of us who want to believe we have it figured out, are prone to make bad choices and/or similar mistakes.

gagomes wrote: »
    I beg to differ. Glutes form the gluteal muscle group and although part of the same kinetic chain as legs, they are it's own muscle group.
    Glutes is just short for gluteal muscle group.
    Being their own muscle group means nothing though. I never suggested they weren’t a muscle group. The Quadriceps are also a muscle group. Does that mean they aren’t a leg muscle? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

what is the consensus with weighted glute work? it was something I had started doing after the summer , gym had the BB hip thruster machine and a kick back one. wasnt something that took long and didnt get in the way of doing anything else. Coincidentally , hamstring niggles I used to get sprinting went away so if it played any role thats good enough for me

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    what is the consensus with weighted glute work? it was something I had started doing after the summer , gym had the BB hip thruster machine and a kick back one. wasnt something that took long and didnt get in the way of doing anything else. Coincidentally , hamstring niggles I used to get sprinting went away so if it played any role thats good enough for me

The glutes are pretty important. Weighted glute work is a good idea. You do deadlifts? Weighted glute work. Anything that is weighted and involves hip extension is weighted glute work.

A lot of those exercises will also work the hamstrings and it's no surprise stronger hamstrings had fewer niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The glutes are pretty important. Weighted glute work is a good idea. You do deadlifts? Weighted glute work. Anything that is weighted and involves hip extension is weighted glute work.

A lot of those exercises will also work the hamstrings and it's no surprise stronger hamstrings had fewer niggles.

I am doing more dead lift - landmine, and some weighted glute bridges just with plates while gyms are closed.

i'd imagine using a bar in the middle of a gym is a bit off putting and time wasting, the machine is great though.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

100% to all of this.
    silverharp wrote: »
    I am doing more dead lift - landmine, and some weighted glute bridges just with plates while gyms are closed.

i'd imagine using a bar in the middle of a gym is a bit off putting and time wasting, the machine is great though.

Loaded glute work is great. Often loaded compounds like deadlifts and deep front squats hit these the most.
    Loading direct isolation exercises are an option too, but the glutes are strong so it gets tricky to get the required load in there.
    A 20kg plate is not much of a struggle for glutes, balancing 80kg on your hips is tricky. Barbell loaded “bridges” (aka hip trusts) are a common way to balance 100kg+ loads on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zyzzin

When groups of untrained people 2 or more, come in and interfere in anyway with your workout when you know they're not sticking around long term. They talk, treat the gym like a meeting place, usually fat, will feel no shame taking up equipment.

This has happened countless times over the years, typically happens when there are both guys and girls in the group.

In my current set up I'm not joking 7 Indian students take up the tiny gym we have to:
    1. Perform traditional dance
    2. Do "yoga"
    3. **** around constantly moving from machine to machine with zero purpose
    4. Judge me because I'm not one of them
    5. Have the cheek to tell me I'm not allowed in because of the 3 person limit but they're OK because they're from "the same household", all 7 of them!

I've devoted myself to this for years, I treat the gym like a temple! To me its the equivalent of their Taj Mahal, and I'm sure in whatever Bollywood culture they've observed, telling me to get out somehow makes them the hero which is a painful thought to bare. If I were to enter some place of worship and was asked to remove my shoes, I would do so immediately due to it being disrespectful not to. They of all people I would have assumed would understand.

(And yes I feel the gym is a sacred place, constant devotion to a higher purpose)

But deep down I find a calmness in the fact that I know they won't train seriously and will continue to be fat ****s all their lives. Most likely never understanding why and growing upset with the world for being the way they are. And if they changed, actually committed themselves to train seriously over years, I'd be equally as happy.

Zyzzin wrote: »
    I've devoted myself to this for years, I treat the gym like a temple!

I though you overdosed in a sauna in Asia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Zyzzin wrote: »
    When groups of untrained people 2 or more, come in and interfere in anyway with your workout when you know they're not sticking around long term. They talk, treat the gym like a meeting place, usually fat, will feel no shame taking up equipment.

This has happened countless times over the years, typically happens when there are both guys and girls in the group.

In my current set up I'm not joking 7 Indian students take up the tiny gym we have to:
    1. Perform traditional dance
    2. Do "yoga"
    3. **** around constantly moving from machine to machine with zero purpose
    4. Judge me because I'm not one of them
    5. Have the cheek to tell me I'm not allowed in because of the 3 person limit but they're OK because they're from "the same household", all 7 of them!

I've devoted myself to this for years, I treat the gym like a temple! To me its the equivalent of their Taj Mahal, and I'm sure in whatever Bollywood culture they've observed, telling me to get out somehow makes them the hero which is a painful thought to bare. If I were to enter some place of worship and was asked to remove my shoes, I would do so immediately due to it being disrespectful not to. They of all people I would have assumed would understand.

(And yes I feel the gym is a sacred place, constant devotion to a higher purpose)

But deep down I find a calmness in the fact that I know they won't train seriously and will continue to be fat ****s all their lives. Most likely never understanding why and growing upset with the world for being the way they are. And if they changed, actually committed themselves to train seriously over years, I'd be equally as happy.

What are your thoughts on Indian people tho?

Advertisement