Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Zillah wrote: »
    It's a gym, you will see people of all capabilities. Learn to ignore them and focus on yourself. You'll be on a frustrating track in life if you can't learn to get over other people being better at something than you.

I think his point is that the gym instructor was too close to him and was in danger of falling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

shutup wrote: »
    I think his point is that the gym instructor was too close to him and was in danger of falling ?

It didn't read like that was his point at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

It didn't read like that was his point at all.

I just re read it and you’re dead right. I picked it up wrong the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Saw someone over the weekend using a bench beside the dumbbells (against the wall/mirror) , also had a short barbell between the bench and the dumbbell rack , it was not possible to get near those dumbbells as the barbell was blocking that section. The gym wasn’t overly busy but still thought it was a bit selfish if there happened be a particular dumbbell you wanted. If they had shifted their bench back a metre it would have been grand.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

This is less annoying and more amusing, there is a fairly famous guy (or at least well known) in my GYM who likes to work out wearing gold rimmed sun glasses in the GYM. And they match his gold trimmed tracksuit too. To be fair the sunglasses are mostly on the top of his head but he does wander around with them on inside occasionally.

Plus the leather sandles when he is on the threadmill is an odd one, he must get blisters from that with no socks.

Still, each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is it Elton John?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

This is less annoying and more amusing, there is a fairly famous guy (or at least well known) in my GYM who likes to work out wearing gold rimmed sun glasses in the GYM. And they match his gold trimmed tracksuit too. To be fair the sunglasses are mostly on the top of his head but he does wander around with them on inside occasionally.

Plus the leather sandles when he is on the threadmill is an odd one, he must get blisters from that with no socks.

It's Tony McGregor, what do I win?

rpurfield wrote: »

It's Tony McGregor, what do I win?

Coinage.

I thought sandals and no socks was verboten in any (civilised) gym?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I put my bottle on a bench today while I went to get weights. In the mean time, someone took it off and started using the bench. It couldn't have been more than 30 seconds.

Also today I went to get a weight of a rack, and as I picked it up someone said they are using it??? Like who leaves weights on racks if they are using them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I put my bottle on a bench today while I went to get weights. In the mean time, someone took it off and started using the bench. It couldn't have been more than 30 seconds.

Also today I went to get a weight of a rack, and as I picked it up someone said they are using it??? Like who leaves weights on racks if they are using them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This one drives me bananas. How do these people function in life? If you are using a weight, put it literally anywhere except the one place exclusively reserved for weights not currently in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

There was a guy in the gym across from me last week as I was benching. He put his stuff down on the shoulder press machine, then did v-sit ups on the bench press next to me while alternating between that and doing hanging leg raises on the machine. And to top it off, he started lifting his top up to tense at himself in the mirror. I was more impressed by how 1 single person can take up 3 machines simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Zillah wrote: »
    This one drives me bananas. How do these people function in life? If you are using a weight, put it literally anywhere except the one place exclusively reserved for weights not currently in use.

I reply with "no, no youre not using it" and walk off with it in my hand. Dim f*cks that do that in the first place don't know how to react and stand there dumfounded.

The only deadlift bar was lying on the ground with eight plates on it. If there had been those bigger rubbery ones (bumpers?), I'd have taken off the 20kgs, but I just wasn't arsed hefting up that much weight to try slide them off. Nor was anyone else. I've never tried to do it and was looking at it thinking I could injure myself.

Pretty terrible gym etiquette to null and void an entire bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The only deadlift bar was lying on the ground with eight plates on it. If there had been those bigger rubbery ones (bumpers?), I'd have taken off the 20kgs, but I just wasn't arsed hefting up that much weight to try slide them off. Nor was anyone else. I've never tried to do it and was looking at it thinking I could injure myself.

Pretty terrible gym etiquette to null and void an entire bar.

You could have placed a 5kg plate on the ground and roll the inside weight up on it. then its nice and easy to take off plates.

etxp wrote: »
    You could have placed a 5kg plate on the ground and roll the inside weight up on it. then its nice and easy to take off plates.

I'd have never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Begs the question if they did something like that then to get them on. I'll keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I saw a guy picking at calluses on his hands on between sets the other day. Big chunks of flaky skin falling on to the ground.

I can accept that gyms aren't the most hygienic places with the amount of unwashed sweaty hands mauling everything in sight, but that's just additional manky-ness I can do without.

I saw a guy picking at calluses on his hands on between sets the other day. Big chunks of flaky skin falling on to the ground.

I can accept that gyms aren't the most hygienic places with the amount of unwashed sweaty hands mauling everything in sight, but that's just additional manky-ness I can do without.

While I agree, please never Google what dust is made of.

Given how few people seem to wash their hands after using the jacks, he was probably doing you a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

D3V!L wrote: »
    I reply with "no, no youre not using it" and walk off with it in my hand. Dim f*cks that do that in the first place don't know how to react and stand there dumfounded.

Yes, in addition... “you are using it, with a time machine, invisible extendable arms or what the fûck ? Cause if that’s the case I’m eating an Eddie Rockets and having my feet massaged by Scarlett Johansson here ? See I can do it too, just cause you can’t see that either !?”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Empathise but mildly disagree with these two. Water bottle is a weak signifier that you’re coming back since people tend to just leave their bottles everywhere in the gym. It could just as easily be someone claiming a bench as the guy on the next bench being lazy and ignorant and not wanting to bend down and get it. Towel plus water bottle says “you have to touch my sweat if you want this bench, I dare you.” That’s strong. It’s not that I agree with your man taking it, I just see how it happened.

I also used to do bent over rows with dumbbells from the rack. Now I’m an anxious mess so first I’d drape a towel awkwardly over what I was using, then I grew to hate that, then the whole thing wasn’t worth the mild convenience it added so I don’t do it anymore. But it was handy while it lasted. Just made me want a gym in my own home so I could live the rack life to the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

leggo wrote: »
    Empathise but mildly disagree with these two. Water bottle is a weak signifier that you’re coming back since people tend to just leave their bottles everywhere in the gym. It could just as easily be someone claiming a bench as the guy on the next bench being lazy and ignorant and not wanting to bend down and get it. Towel plus water bottle says “you have to touch my sweat if you want this bench, I dare you.” That’s strong. It’s not that I agree with your man taking it, I just see how it happened.

I also used to do bent over rows with dumbbells from the rack. Now I’m an anxious mess so first I’d drape a towel awkwardly over what I was using, then I grew to hate that, then the whole thing wasn’t worth the mild convenience it added so I don’t do it anymore. But it was handy while it lasted. Just made me want a gym in my own home so I could live the rack life to the max.

This and general 'rack life' is going to tip me over edge some day. Bro's see other bro's rack blocking, and thick that's how all the other bro's got swole.

givyjoe wrote: »
    This and general 'rack life' is going to tip me over edge some day. Bro's see other bro's rack blocking, and thick that's how all the other bro's got swole.

It's spelled 'thicc'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

givyjoe wrote: »

Irony will probably get you one day too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

A couple of months ago there was a guy in my gym (gym has about 6 squatting racks) using two racks and a bench in the middle of the floor: I think he was doing circuits of squat (rack), shoulder-press/bench-press (rack), incline dumbell-press (bench). The only mitigation was that he seemed like a noob and that the gym was like 2/3 empty.

What's with the newish thing of people taking over a squat rack to do bent-over barbell rows, and setting the safety bars really low and resting the bar on them so that the bar is like one or two feet off the floor. Why can't they free up the rack, bring the bar out into the middle of the floor, and pick it up off the floor. That's a rhetorical question by the way: there is no justification.

fatbhoy wrote: »

What's with the newish thing of people taking over a squat rack to do bent-over barbell rows, and setting the safety bars really low and resting the bar on them so that the bar is like one or two feet off the floor.

thats the way my trainer showed me so sorry not sorry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Kudos to the guy who called out on another guy who was about to walk out the locker room, leaving a trail of destruction behind him.
    The offender was embarrassed and couldn't manage some sort of apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

silverharp wrote: »
    thats the way my trainer showed me so sorry not sorry :pac:

Oh well if your trainer showed you that way then there must be nothing assholery about it then.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some knob wearing sunglasses in the gym today while he was doing bench press and pull ups.

Plot twist: It was me. Sorry not sorry.

Advertisement