Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Women who sit into their squats on the Smith Machine with little-to-no weight and just go up and down like a slide or a see-saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Oh well if your trainer showed you that way then there must be nothing assholery about it then.

:rolleyes:

There's quite the difference between pulling from knee height and pulling from the ground, that's standard practice for bb rows and rack pulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Foxtrotter

People that camp out on machines. Or drench themselves in perfume, cologne or Axe body spray. When I see people working out in flip flops I secretly hope they drop a plate on their foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

There's quite the difference between pulling from knee height and pulling from the ground, that's standard practice for bb rows and rack pulls.

Then do it off blocks or stacked up plates. Letting the bar drop on the pins/uprights will destroy it. Or use an old bent bar. The lads who pull off the pins in my gym invariably pick the newest shiniest best quality bar to drop on the pins. I die a little inside every time I hear it drop.

It is absolutely not the same as dropping a loaded bar on the floor, which is fine as long as you control it to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sean_0 wrote: »
    Then do it off blocks or stacked up plates. Letting the bar drop on the pins/uprights will destroy it..

Nobody said anything about hopping the bar off the pins. The complaint was people resting the bar on pins during rows. Resting sounds controlled tbh.

I think stacking up the bar on plates so it’s a foot or two off the ground would illicit a different complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

Mellor wrote: »
    Nobody said anything about hopping the bar off the pins. The complaint was people resting the bar on pins during rows. Resting sounds controlled tbh.

I think stacking up the bar on plates so it’s a foot or two off the ground would illicit a different complaint.

Fair enough - resting is grand.

However in the gym I go to there's been a recent trend towards guys doing heavy rows and rack pulls and dropping loaded bars on pins, see it nearly every night. We've got a load of new reasonably good bars and they're being destroyed. Two bent already and bushings gone on another one.

If you're doing any sort of decent rack pull you're not going to be gently placing the bar back down. I've done it myself but I use the old beater bars, or blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Is doing a bunch of exercises upside down a thing now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is doing a bunch of exercises upside down a thing now!?

Best I ever saw was a lad doing lateral raises...while hanging upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Foxtrotter wrote: »
    People that camp out on machines. Or drench themselves in perfume, cologne or Axe body spray. When I see people working out in flip flops I secretly hope they drop a plate on their foot.
    Not trying to be that "one-upper guy" but your comment reminded me of what I saw in the gym last night, I couldn't believe it. Two separate guys were working out barefoot, one of them on the flat bench station putting his dirty feet up on the bench while doing the lift.

Another guy was there wearing a pair of flip flops and another fella I saw wearing shoes that didn't match.

Gym "rules" that you must wear covered shoes rolleyes.png
    My gym has a good few weirdos but this is a new low.

Another story: I was in on Saturday and typical ego lifter guy was there doing his thing. Loading up bars with weight he clearly couldn't handle and proceeding to do quarter reps (that's being generous). He had about 130kg on a bar attempting to do RDL's which involved him basically pushing his arse out 3 inches and then jerking forward. He finishes by dropping it down to 100kg and doing a set or two and then walks off. Just as he was about to walk out the door I call him back and ask if he's finished and replies he was. I said "can you put your weights back then as I need to use that soon, you're not just going to leave 100kg on the ground for someone else to clean up after, are you?". He gives that look a teenager makes when their parents ask them to clean their room. I head back over to the cables to finish a set and when I look back over, he had put back two of the 20kg plates but left two others on (one each side) before fcuking off. Absolute lazy sh!te, I'll be sure to call him out when I see him again during the week. mad.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Outdoor class today... well set up, distanced, marked, covered with two sets of dumbbells per person at our stations 5kgs and 8kgs that you can choose from.

Before the balance with weights section the person behind me just you know just despite having seconds before been told to in the briefing ‘remain in your marked station during the class’ to ensure distancing.... decides to drop into mine, uninvited , remove without asking one set of weights back to her station.

I turn around seeing the muppet now with three sets of dumbbells “ ohhh you have quite a collection haven’t you “ I said with no hint of humor.... “ yes, but I prefer the ones they gave you, better grips, thanks “

Trainer shakes head, i shake brain, hmmm I suppose to be expected, 2020 after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Strumms wrote: »
    Outdoor class today... well set up, distanced, marked, covered with two sets of dumbbells per person at our stations 5kgs and 8kgs that you can choose from.

Before the balance with weights section the person behind me just you know just despite having seconds before been told to in the briefing ‘remain in your marked station during the class’ to ensure distancing.... decides to drop into mine, uninvited , remove without asking one set of weights back to her station.

I turn around seeing the muppet now with three sets of dumbbells “ ohhh you have quite a collection haven’t you “ I said with no hint of humor.... “ yes, but I prefer the ones they gave you, better grips, thanks “

Trainer shakes head, i shake brain, hmmm I suppose to be expected, 2020 after all.

Did anyone do anything about her just taking the weights ? She obviously thinks she can do what she wants .

D3V!L wrote: »
    Did anyone do anything about her just taking the weights ? She obviously thinks she can do what she wants .

nope, prob enough to be doing, probably just put my bag over the spare set tomorrow in case they start the same craic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just to revisit the rows and rack pulls thing discussed a few posts above...

I do think that someone doing bent-over rows should be doing them off the ground.

For the vast majority of trainees there is no reason they cannot deadlift the bar up off the ground and then assume the bent over row position, perform their rows, then drop it to the ground again between sets.

I completely understand that it is more comfortable and easier to load and unload if you set up a rack so that you can rack the bar between sets. But fundamentally, it's blocking the rack for someone who might be doing an exercise that actually requires the rack in order to be able to perform it. I wouldn't go strong like someone earlier and say it's an 'asshole' move, but I do think it's inconsiderate.

Actually if you subscribe to the logic that a rack can be used in this way for a bent-over row then really there's no reason not to apply the same logic to curls. If I'm going up and down in weight on my barbell curls then why shouldn't just use the squat rack as a handy rest between sets?

A rack pull - totally different and yes, clearly does require the rack to perform that movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Just to revisit the rows and rack pulls thing discussed a few posts above...

I do think that someone doing bent-over rows should be doing them off the ground.

For the vast majority of trainees there is no reason they cannot deadlift the bar up off the ground and then assume the bent over row position, perform their rows, then drop it to the ground again between sets.

I completely understand that it is more comfortable and easier to load and unload if you set up a rack so that you can rack the bar between sets. But fundamentally, it's blocking the rack for someone who might be doing an exercise that actually requires the rack in order to be able to perform it. I wouldn't go strong like someone earlier and say it's an 'asshole' move, but I do think it's inconsiderate.

Actually if you subscribe to the logic that a rack can be used in this way for a bent-over row then really there's no reason not to apply the same logic to curls. If I'm going up and down in weight on my barbell curls then why shouldn't just use the squat rack as a handy rest between sets?

A rack pull - totally different and yes, clearly does require the rack to perform that movement.

Come on now, it's quite obviously not the same thing due to the huge differences in weight. Some folks might not deadlift at all (injuries or other reasons). Entirely valid reason for using the rack and nit picking (obviously IMO) to suggest it's inconsiderate.

In my own main fleyfit, the majority of the bars are stored within racks and there's next to no space outside of the racks to do it anyway.

Wasn’t the complaint above about rack pulls?
    It seemed like the initial post confused them with rows.
    givyjoe wrote: »
    Come on now, it's quite obviously not the same thing due to the huge differences in weight. Some folks might not deadlift at all (injuries or other reasons). Entirely valid reason for using the rack and nit picking (obviously IMO) to suggest it's inconsiderate.

If somebody can’t deadlift/pick-up a bar from the floor because of injury or other reasons. They aren’t going to be able to do a bent over row with it.
    If anything doing rows off of pins is more awkward as you need to deadlift negative into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If somebody can’t deadlift/pick-up a bar from the floor because of injury or other reasons. They aren’t going to be able to do a bent over row with it.
    If anything doing rows off of pins is more awkward as you need to deadlift negative into position.

Eh. what? Actually, what to the whole thing... How is that more awkward?!
    Anyway, ridiculous pedantry complaining about the rack being used in that manner.

Anyway, ridiculous pedantry complaining about the rack being used in that manner.

It's fine to use a rack to do rows if the gym isn't busy and there are free racks. But if you're using a rack to do rows when people are waiting on a rack, then it's a bit of a dick move. Yiu don't need a rack for rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's fine to use a rack to do rows if the gym isn't busy and there are free racks. But if you're using a rack to do rows when people are waiting on a rack, then it's a bit of a dick move. Yiu don't need a rack for rows.

Isn't that the close equivalent of "its fine to park across 2 spaces if the car park isnt busy" though?

Sure you can argue that you are in the rack all the time, but just you being there is enough to stop someone else from even coming over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

GreeBo wrote: »
    Isn't that the close equivalent of "its fine to park across 2 spaces if the car park isnt busy" though?

Sure you can argue that you are in the rack all the time, but just you being there is enough to stop someone else from even coming over...

A car is left there until the owner comes back and moves it.

People can react to what's going on around them. If you start doing rows when there's 5 free racks but they fill up unlike a car you can finish up and free the space up.

You're right, I was being a bit facetious about the curls in the squat rack. It's true that the weight is even lighter than on a row, so it is even more obviously unnecessary.

But the principle is the same - the weight involved is a submaximal weight. We all understand that we can easily lift from the ground a weight we are curling.

However, the weight someone uses for a set of bent-over rows is also a submaximal weight. If it is too heavy for them to safely deadlift off the ground before they begin their rows, then they're unlikely to be performing rows with it. If they have an injury that prevents them deadlifting such a relatively light weight off the ground then they definitely are unlikely to be able to row it properly for reps.

Let's be honest, most people set up squat racks to do bent-over rows with because they're just mimicking what they see others do and it makes loading and unloading easier. I'm not suggesting it's malice. But yes, it is unnecessary and it can be inconsiderate if there isn't a squat rack available to someone who actually needs one to train, as Alf rightly says.
    In my own main fleyfit, the majority of the bars are stored within racks and there's next to no space outside of the racks to do it anyway.

There's been plenty of space to do some barbell rows in any Flyefit I've ever been in - even with an Olympic bar. I've been in Swords, Drumcondra, Macken St, Georges St, CHQ.... But maybe things have changed.

• Advertisement

I read it as rack pulls being introduced to the conversation by someone later on. I think the initial post was definitely a reference to using low-set pins as a place to rest a bar between bent-over rows. Could be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Genuine question I like to do rack pull followed by pullups and then onto bent over rows all in the same rack am I a dick?
    Seems like a lot of hassle to have to re set up away from the rack i usually get everything done in 25-30 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have seen a few examples recently of people using the assisted pull-up machine for what I can only imagine is the lightest leg workout imaginable: they put one foot on it with a large counter-weight and push it down with their foot for, like, fifty reps. What does this do for you that body-weight squats don't - am I missing something? Looks like a great way to waste a piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Zillah wrote: »
    I have seen a few examples recently of people using the assisted pull-up machine for what I can only imagine is the lightest leg workout imaginable: they put one foot on it with a large counter-weight and push it down with their foot for, like, fifty reps. What does this do for you that body-weight squats don't - am I missing something? Looks like a great way to waste a piece of equipment.
    Some insta booty workout they saw!

GreeBo wrote: »

I'm not sure how they're comparable.

If there are free racks, then if someone is doing curls in another rack, then they're in no one's way

There's been plenty of space to do some barbell rows in any Flyefit I've ever been in - even with an Olympic bar. I've been in Swords, Drumcondra, Macken St, Georges St, CHQ.... But maybe things have changed.

I was thinking about this in relation to Portobello and despite the size of the place, the layout now re. Covid means there isn't really floor space to move to so you'd just be doing it behind a rack.

This was lashed out of it a while back in this thread. Absolutely nonsense exercise
    I agree it's really odd though. Its basically using to a do a weird single leg squat. Would make more sense to go use the actual squat machine imo
    It's literally like walking very very slowly up a set of stairs in 50% gravity. Walk up a flight of fucking stairs and you've had a tougher work out. There are stairs in the gym. Use those.

And some other lunatic using it for tricep pushdowns.
    Why not just do tricep pushdowns on a regular cable machine? or Step up on to a box like normal. Seems overly complicated to me.

I think it's something that makes people think they are working hard, without actually working hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

If you can't deadlift the weight, you're not going to be able to row it.

I thought it was pretty simple and straightforward.
    If the person can’t pick up the weight off the floor because they are injured, like you said. They aren’t going to be doing bent over rows with the same weight.

In a normal row, you bend over, and row the bar from the floor. Simples.
    People racking the bar on waist high hooks have to walk it away from the rack. If rowing off low pins, they need move pins so low the bar is practically on the floor.
    I just don’t see the point in using the hooks/pins like that. It’s extra set up for no benefit - except for the guys using it to shorten their ROM or cheat reps.

• Advertisement

I’m doing an outdoor class, plenty of space and distancing in the POD but... what’s bugging the **** out of me is the people arriving dead early, claiming their chair and their marked exercise space with jacket / gym bag meaning that the rest of us who are turning up 5 minutes before the class as requested have to take what’s left..

We’ve been asked not to turn up early and hang around due to covid, some of them being ‘yappers’ seem to do it as they want their blahhh blahhh blahhh time regardless with the fellow mouthpiece participants... the trainers are on their break having finished their previous class and don’t show a face until earliest 5 minutes before the class commences.

Even then they are having about 3 people, usually the same ones walk right up to them pointing at this body part, that body part despite a weekly email that for months has been in bold red huge font...” all enquiries regarding your participation in the xyz classes, your health or about xyz fitness MUST be sent via email, or by calling 01- 8450876 / 087-xxxxxxx, due to covid our trainers are only of the ability to facilitate the class and have been advised to not engage in conversation or give verbal advice to participants before or after classes, for their safety and everyones ....

Of course the SAME 3... every class... which is often as they are just trying to start...grrrr

Advertisement