Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Incredibly frustrating game and the worrying thing is every game Tipp have lost this year they should have won. We've lost the habit of winning tight games. Need to get a whole lot of challenge games in over the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The second goal won't do Mooney any favours, what was he thinking.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Think he had to gamble to have a chance at saving it. The way the player was running at goal he was only ever going to be able to hit it straight or to the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

I was just about to post about that second goal.
    wtf was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I know it's not what happened but....
    It reminded me of when we played as kids and the goalie figuring he was gonna take a hit and diving outa the way pretending he thought that was where the ball was going!

Only saw the last 5 mins but it looked like the old failing of being completely hopeless at winning 50-50 high balls remains. We were completely out fought at the end.

• Advertisement

If you look at the two goals clare scored they both came from their forwards catching high ball. It's a huge attribute in the modern game, Cork done it to Galway earlier, Callanan done it to Galway last year, kilkenny have been doing it for years.

You can never have enough ball winners and we need more.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Nice to see Ronan Maher have a really good performance at centre back, think he's nailed down that position now. Team is starting to take shape now. I think Conor O Brien was a big weakness in the defence today, he's a decent player but surely there's better young defenders in the county?

Was disappointed with our forwards today apart from John McGrath who was very good. Need to sort out the frees. 17 wides... Not good enough. Thought Bergin played well when he came on, think he needs to start come championship.

Think Ryan needs to look at why we are not seeing out games, it may mean dropping and extra player back into the defence for the last 10 minutes, shanahan ran 40 yards through the centre of our defence to score the goal.

Worrying that we haven't really clicked in attack, last few years we would have won today as we would have been further ahead. We were in control for most of the second half without putting it on the scoreboard.

Bubbles hasn't had a great league, Callanan has been injured, bonnar has been poor, Noel McGraths been decent, McCormack & O'Meara average, Forde was good against Dublin and then disappeared, doesn't make for great reading heading into our first championship game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Callanan looks waay off the pace so far
    Maybe if the other players gave him in some decent ball instead of going for hail Mary scores from long distance he might have done a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Maybe losing yesterday was the best thing to happen because as things stand we are not making progress. Mistakes everywhere not least on the sideline. If a junior B manager left a freetaker keep taking frees after missing two sitters he would be ridiculed. Likewise if a forward was allowed run 30yards in on goal without being upended,brought down or whatever there would be hell to pay. It's actually quite scary the state of the senior team at present.

Far too extreme a reaction there. I think the results are a worry because winning is a habit and one that we've lost but we haven't been outplayed by anyone in this league.

We outplayed KK, Waterford and Clare but lost all three. The KK defeat was decisive but we lost by one point against Clare and Waterford. We had no Callinan against Waterford and when he gets up to speed he'll be worth a lot more than 2 points. Another player who's absence has been felt is Jason Forde, just coming back now and he has more scoring ability than Niall O'Meara.

What has me worried is that we aren't scoring goals, 5 in 6 games isn't good enough and only one scored in the 3 games we lost. It's not just the 3points we're missing but the momentum you get from scoring a goal. We conceded goals in the last 10mins of each defeat and it gave the opposition a huge lift. If we were converting our possession we'd be out of sight in all the games but we're not so we need goals and they just haven't been coming.

I think we're in an ok place at the moment, we've been very competitive against the top sides but we're missing a bit of match sharpness. It would have been great to get a league final place to get everyone another run out but i honestly think that when the Championship comes around we have the players to make a major impact.

The only position that i think we're badly short on is corner back. Barrett is in one but Cahill can't stay healthy and for all his endeavour i wouldn't trust O'Brien in Championship. We've very limited options and with the way Ronan Maher has performed at centre back we can't move him. Not sure is Bergin an option there but think we need to try develop another option

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    Far too extreme a reaction there. I think the results are a worry because winning is a habit and one that we've lost but we haven't been outplayed by anyone in this league.

Do you think so? I couldn't give a damn whether we are 'outplayed' or not in the league, or a more recent buzzword, we were 'competitive'. Are you suggesting it was correct to leave Callinan taking frees after missing 2 sitters? Should the clare forward have been allowed in for the second goal?

Do you think so? I couldn't give a damn whether we are 'outplayed' or not in the league, or a more recent buzzword, we were 'competitive'. Are you suggesting it was correct to leave Callinan taking frees after missing 2 sitters? Should the clare forward have been allowed in for the second goal?

So you'd like to see Callinan taken off frees and us dragging forwards to the ground but you don't care if we're outplayed or competitive?

The Clare lad should have been dragged down but after about 4 strides he was out of reach of Barrett, if you watch the replay Barrett wasn't close enough to take him down after their initial collision.
    And I wouldn't take Callinan off the frees, he's a confidence player and better let him work the kinks out of his game. Can't imagine he'll miss those chances come summer.

We have a few things to work on but i definitely don't agree with your assessment that we're in a bad state.

So you'd like to see Callinan taken off frees and us dragging forwards to the ground but you don't care if we're outplayed or competitive?

The Clare lad should have been dragged down but after about 4 strides he was out of reach of Barrett, if you watch the replay Barrett wasn't close enough to take him down after their initial collision.
    And I wouldn't take Callinan off the frees, he's a confidence player and better let him work the kinks out of his game. Can't imagine he'll miss those chances come summer.

We have a few things to work on but i definitely don't agree with your assessment that we're in a bad state.

I didn't say he should be taken off frees for ever, I said that he
    should have been taken off them yesterday. Anyway all the evidence points to another year of close but no cigar. I'd say Cody slept well last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

As much as I was disappointed with the result yesterday today I'm starting to think we might be better off losing that game than facing yet another humiliation up in Nowlan park against the cats,sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

tippspur wrote: »
    As much as I was disappointed with the result yesterday today I'm starting to think we might be better off losing that game than facing yet another humiliation up in Nowlan park against the cats,sad but true.

True
    And the sad thing is that kk aren't even all that great so far and I still can't see us beating them even in a good day....

digzy wrote: »
    True
    And the sad thing is that kk aren't even all that great so far and I still can't see us beating them even in a good day....

Unless the whole squad, management included, get their act together we will have more teams than Kilkenny to worry about.

tippspur wrote: »

Not sure why you think we'd be humiliated. We played well there earlier in the year and we're a better and more settled team now. We should be jumping at the chance to play KK at any opportunity. We sure as hell aren't going to get better by watching them on the tv.

I'm disgusted with the attitude on here and can't believe people are actually scared to play KK. If the players are like that then we definitely would be losers.

Not sure why you think we'd be humiliated. We played well there earlier in the year and we're a better and more settled team now. We should be jumping at the chance to play KK at any opportunity. We sure as hell aren't going to get better by watching them on the tv.

I'm disgusted with the attitude on here and can't believe people are actually scared to play KK. If the players are like that then we definitely would be losers.

What do you mean 'we definately WOULD be losers'.
    It's time for the Tipp suad and a lot of supporters to cop on, failing to win close matches means we ARE losers! I said it here 12 months ago that our attitude is not ferocious enough and that Galway would rough us up. On Sunday last in Ennis I didn't see hurling as Tipp teams should play the game, I saw 6,7 and 8 players bunching and rucking around the ball. I saw half hearted tackles and silly short passes. If you think that's acceptible then fair enough, but I don't.

What do you mean 'we definately WOULD be losers'.
    It's time for the Tipp suad and a lot of supporters to cop on, failing to win close matches means we ARE losers! I said it here 12 months ago that our attitude is not ferocious enough and that Galway would rough us up. On Sunday last in Ennis I didn't see hurling as Tipp teams should play the game, I saw 6,7 and 8 players bunching and rucking around the ball. I saw half hearted tackles and silly short passes. If you think that's acceptible then fair enough, but I don't.

Losers don't even try, if our lads go out and give it their all then i'll never consider them losers. Thinking it's better not to play KK than to play and lose is a cowards attitude and i'd hope none of our players would ever take that attitude. I don't think we've ever gone out to lose but some days we're not good enough, that's sport

In your opinion how should Tipp teams play? Who were the players putting in half hearted tackles?
    I thought one of the real positives on Sunday was how many times Tipp players emerged from rucks with the ball

The bottom line is we have won 4 all Irelands in over 30 years.
    That to me is not good enough. I'll put it this way, if Cody was in charge of us for the last ten or twelve years I believe he would have got more out of us.
    We lose too many close games end of story.

• Advertisement

That to me is not good enough. I'll put it this way, if Cody was in charge of us for the last ten or twelve years I believe he would have got more out of us.

We do, but what's the solution?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Couldn't agree more but we play the hand we're dealt and we haven't Cody. Sheedy gave us every opportunity to go ahead of them but we couldn't take it for a number of different reasons.

What i don't like is the idea of us being afraid of losing so we'd rather not play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Minor footballers lost 1-14 to 1-11 tonight to Cork
    They play Limerick next week. If they win that they play Waterford and If they win that they qualify for semis and will play Cork

Minor footballers lost again by 6 points to Limerick in Thurles.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Disappointing. Alot of first year panellists though so id imagine the experience will do them good

Maybe I'm a bit slow but what way is the county draw this year.EG Borrisokane lost to Loughmore but beat Knockavilla kickhams so are they in the county championship at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Paddico

Add your reply here.

Its been a long time since Tipp minors lost to Limerick, Clare or Waterford.
    Disappointing year for underage football in Tipp

Paddico wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

Its been a long time since Tipp minors lost to Limerick, Clare or Waterford.
    Disappointing year for underage football in Tipp

A relatively young side id imagine minus the likes of Brian Mcgrath. Wouldnt write them off yet. This year will stand to them

Maybe I'm a bit slow but what way is the county draw this year.EG Borrisokane lost to Loughmore but beat Knockavilla kickhams so are they in the county championship at this stage?

?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Borris are in Roinn II so only one team comes out of the group, Borris can't qualify as even if Knockavilla beat Loughmore (:-) I know) it would leave all three on 2 points meaning score difference would come in to it and there is no possible scenario that Borris could finish on top.

On the same score Borris cannot be relegated as they cant finish bottom of the group, I think! Firstly Knockavilla wont beat Loughmore and I'm not sure of the current score differences but I don't think there is any scenario where Borris could be bottom.

But to answer your main question, yes Borris are still in the county championship as are all 30 teams as the divisional winners will re-enter the county Championship. Borris have a bye in the first round of the North if I remember correctly, so are straight into a North QF.

Advertisement