Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    We need to get Callinan more help inside.. Also a screen in Semple would not look out of place.. Cork were poor on the day but I was happy overall

Not sure the actual footage on screen matches he flight of the ball but I'd still prefer it for effect

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What did people think of our new look half forward line?

McCormack still getting rave reviews which leaves me scratching my head but like Sean Curran it is his first championship game.
    Curran himself looked very raw which is to be expected. Noel was excellent. Put a humongous shift in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Of the new guys starting today John Mc Grath was great Kennedy done ok,but is he better than Bergin? Curran and Mc Cormack done little to convince me that they are better than Forde or Bonner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

tippspur wrote: »
    Of the new guys starting today John Mc Grath was great Kennedy done ok,but is he better than Bergin? Curran and Mc Cormack done little to convince me that they are better than Forde or Bonner.

I think this is a fair assessment but to be fair to McCormack and Curran the game by-passed the half forward line a lot yesterday. Our backs had so much time they were able to drive ball right in to the full forward line without any pressure on them.
    I think it would be unfair to judge anyone by their second half performance, Tipp weren't even trying and they didn't have to either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Dan, I think while you may not have underestimated this tipp side I think you overestimated this Cork team who in reality are a poor team and have been for a number of years, this more than anything suggested to me that tipp would win comfortably.

Have to agree with you Tyson. I got fu****g soaked in the kilinan end and left with 15mins to go. Cork were woeful . As I predicted they attempted to rough us up but this time I was delighted to see a Tipp team give it back in spades.I was very impressed with tipps scoring in atrocious conditions. All in all a very good performance all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

As Dan mentioned above Tipp scored some lovely points in desperate conditions yesterday. Very effective performance - knew Cork would use a sweeper and dealt with it.

Regarding the sweeper system used by Cork and some other teams of late - it's killing the entertainment and excitement of matches - not a good road to be going down for hurling overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,835 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

McCormack still getting rave reviews which leaves me scratching my head but like Sean Curran it is his first championship game.
    Curran himself looked very raw which is to be expected. Noel was excellent. Put a humongous shift in.

Where are you seeing these rave reviews?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Charlie69

tippspur wrote: »

Don't know much about Kennedy but I'm a huge admirer of Kieran Bergin, teak tough and can play it any way you want it. He can play anywhere and a bit like our own Padraig Walsh his versatility has probably made it harder for him to nail down a jersey for Tipp.

Personally I like him at wing back, good man marker and great man to break the tackle and set up an attack. Highly rated by Richie Power which says it all really.

Where are you seeing these rave reviews?

The way they refer to him on premierview, its like we've unearthed another Eoin Kelly. They are even seeing attributes that he doesnt have such as speed and physicality :confused:

marvin80 wrote: »
    As Dan mentioned above Tipp scored some lovely points in desperate conditions yesterday. Very effective performance - knew Cork would use a sweeper and dealt with it.

Regarding the sweeper system used by Cork and some other teams of late - it's killing the entertainment and excitement of matches - not a good road to be going down for hurling overal
    l.

Normally you would think that the negation of the sweeper system yesterday would kill it off but fact is that Cork just dont have the players to implement this system unlike Clare or Waterford and it just seemed so haph-hazard from the Rebels. On top of that, our spare man was Ronan for long parts and his distribution was fantastic.

• Advertisement

The way they refer to him on premierview, its like we've unearthed another Eoin Kelly. They are even seeing attributes that he doesnt have such as speed and physicality :confused:

Wouldn't be too concerned about what a few people on a website are saying, there was 30000 in the stadium yesterday so who are they trying to fool. Both himself and Curran had decent games if unspectacular, but as someone else mentioned our half back line were so dominant that the half forward line was mostly bypassed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Not convinced by McCormack, actually I am, he's not good enough! Curran ahead of Forde I can understand, there is very little doubt that Forde is a better player, but he is a very affective sub, much better when there is more space in the last 20 mins and a great man to take a long range point. Still think that come the business end of the year it will be Bonner at 11 and either Niall O'Meara or Kieran Bergin at 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

That site is a farce Gunner and the knowledge or lack thereof is frightening. Nothing more that a school playground full of the back of the class types.

danganabu wrote: »
    That site is a farce Gunner and the knowledge or lack thereof is frightening. Nothing more that a school playground full of the back of the class types.
    Agree. They wouldn't be as sophisticated as we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Not convinced by McCormack, actually I am, he's not good enough! Curran ahead of Forde I can understand, there is very little doubt that Forde is a better player, but he is a very affective sub, much better when there is more space in the last 20 mins and a great man to take a long range point. Still think that come the business end of the year it will be Bonner at 11 and either Niall O'Meara or Kieran Bergin at 10.

Dunno about bonnar. He isn't a great finisher anyway so he's in there to break things up and compliment the 'dandies'. He' not even doing the 'tearin and draggin' all that well lately- he was woeful against the cats. Fair play to mick ryan for changing things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Kieran Bergin has been tried and failed in the forwards. A good option for half back or midfield. Not sure where your pickingO Meara from. He's injury prone and is probably too small for half forward line. Corks best period possession wise yesterday was when Seanie went off. Forde or Bonner didn't really enhance their chances yesterday IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Paddico

Very few posters here anymore.

MOD:
    Would it be possible to close the thread in the GAA forum and redirect people to here with a link ... or vice verse?

Shame, always liked peoples contribution but they've become few and far between

Paddico wrote: »

MOD:
    Would it be possible to close the thread in the GAA forum and redirect people to here with a link ... or vice verse?

Be careful who you direct to us MOD, we have standards here you know!

MOD:

In retrospect, the two separate threads probably haven't worked out although the vote was tight at the time I felt it would probably be unfair to deny either group their wishes. Its a hell of a pity that threads couldn't be shared over multiple forums, i.e the same thread linked to the GAA page and The Tipperary page.

For GAA, i think it is something perhaps the boards tech team could make an exception for in future? Where could i go with this suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Paddico

MOD:

In retrospect, the two separate threads probably haven't worked out although the vote was tight at the time I felt it would probably be unfair to deny either group their wishes. Its a hell of a pity that threads couldn't be shared over multiple forums, i.e the same thread linked to the GAA page and The Tipperary page.

For GAA, i think it is something perhaps the boards tech team could make an exception for in future? Where could i go with this suggestion?

No idea TG but its just not working. The vote thing was nonsense, ends up with people asking for heads n tails.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

How do you propose for that to happen? At best you could have a link in first post of each thread to the other thread.
    I think threads in both are fine. The GAA thread wont be simply for 2016 and the thread title there should be changed like other county discussion threads there but you could keep separate threads for each calendar year in the tipp forum if that was possible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Are the tipp footballers likely to beat the spread?

They were so, so poor in the league that I wouldn't have any confidence whatsoever in anything more than a 3 point win. I haven't seen any odds for it or anything but I'd pick Tipp by 3, just about.

callaway92 wrote: »
    They were so, so poor in the league that I wouldn't have any confidence whatsoever in anything more than a 3 point win. I haven't seen any odds for it or anything but I'd pick Tipp by 3, just about.

Yeah I think I'll give it a miss, the spread is 6. Liam Kearns getting the excuses in early so doesn't seem too confident.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Yeah I think I'll give it a miss, the spread is 6. Liam Kearns getting the excuses in early so doesn't seem too confident.

I don't blame him, the football team were just starting to look promising last year and now a huge chunk of the panel is gone...and a quality chunk too !! Am very disappointed about it, esp the loss of O Brien who just seems to be deluding himself with hurling.

Tipp two points up down in dungarvan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipp flying it in the second half, big improvement on the first.

Win by 8, decent result, not always easy down there, hopefully give Cork a decent game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We did well to win today, our guys tried hard but we are way behind where we were 12 months ago. Was depressing enough viewing for most of the game.

Even more lucky to win the junior game...we were behind for all of normal time and only levelled it at the death to force extra time.

On a positive note Bill Maher played well, good to see him back !!

Advertisement