Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's not exactly like Ringrose is small, he's 6'1" and with a couple of decent pre seasons at 89kg's he could easily hit 95kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Then we'll just wait for the next messiah, that's the Leinster way

He IS the messiah. I should know, I've followed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

What if Ringrose never gets any better than he is now and can't make the step up to International rugby.

We'll still have to hear about him endlessly, obviously. The articles will just change narratives, detailing his tragically unfulfilled promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

stephen_n wrote: »
    It's not exactly like Ringrose is small, he's 6'1" and with a couple of decent pre seasons at 89kg's he could easily hit 95kg
    This. It flabbers my gast that people should think he's small. A bit underweight perhaps, but only iin the range of five or six kilos which he should gain naturally over a couple of months.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I presume the team is announced tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

This. It flabbers my gast that people should think he's small. A bit underweight perhaps, but only iin the range of five or six kilos which he should gain naturally over a couple of months.

He does have a light look about him, he's more of a Tommy Bowe then a Rene Ranger...

rising-star-garry-ringrose-explains-why-size-isnt-everything-at-the-centre-position.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He's not small but he doesn't fit the mould of the big powerful centres like Henshaw, even though I'm one of the main advocates for Henshaw being more than just a wrecking ball to use in midfield.

If anything I'd say his frame is something similar to Conor Murray who's 6'1" and 94kg.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Depending on how his exams went he could well be :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Look at Conrad Smith and maybe Ben Smith to a lessor extent. These arent huge men but are fairly tall skillful and can handle themselves. Rugby seems to be obsessed with bulk and power but as Conrad Smith has shown if you can tackle correctly you dont have to be a huge man to play top class test rugby in the centres. Maybe Ringrose is a little bit light compared to others but he can handle himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Can't wait to see Dillane get some gametime on Saturday, genuinely think he'll make a big impact when he comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Murray Kinsella:
    Possible Ireland XV:
    15. Rob Kearney
    14. Andrew Trimble
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    11. Keith Earls
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Conor Murray
    1. Jack McGrath
    2. Rory Best (captain)
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Donnacha Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. CJ Stander
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jamie Heaslip

http://www.the42.ie/van-der-flier-mccloskey-ireland-england-2622584-Feb2016/?utm_source=shortlink

"JOE SCHMIDT IS set to hand Josh van der Flier and Stuart McCloskey their international debuts in Saturday’s Six Nations clash with England at Twickenham."

But to be honest in the article I get the impression he's guessing a little about the fitness of Payne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Murray Kinsella:

http://www.the42.ie/van-der-flier-mccloskey-ireland-england-2622584-Feb2016/?utm_source=shortlink

"JOE SCHMIDT IS set to hand Josh van der Flier and Stuart McCloskey their international debuts in Saturday’s Six Nations clash with England at Twickenham."

But to be honest in the article I get the impression he's guessing a little about the fitness of Payne.

If true it is very good news. Joe being dragged kicking and screaming into the new generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Interesting nonetheless if that is the Payne-less team. Joe reading boards probably, so knows that two newbies will be well received, Earlsie IS a wing and not a 13, a genuine Ulster centre finally gets a go.
    JVDF must look a pretty safe bet at this stage.
    Zeebs out in the cold or fitness issue removing that option.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

If true it is very good news. Joe being dragged kicking and screaming into the new generation

You say that like there's something wrong with the old generation.

That team could beat England

t4aqKxA.jpg

I don't really get Josh VdF's addition to be honest. I don't see what TOD has been doing wrong nor have a noticed VdF being particularly good for Leinster. I must be blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I don't really get Josh VdF's addition to be honest. I don't see what TOD has been doing wrong nor have a noticed VdF being particularly good for Leinster. I must be blind.

I'd recommend specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Indeed, you don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Dillane get some gametime on Saturday, genuinely think he'll make a big impact when he comes on

Hon Kerry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

dragged by who exactly? Do you think he gives two flying Fs what hacks and random punters on the internet say?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

TOD is more of a 6 to me in the way he plays, VDF more of a classic openside. Maybe Joe thinks it's a more balanced backrow with VDF. Don't worry though, he's only keeping the jersey warm til Jake Heenan is IQ, we'll have a true 7 turnover machine then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

lol dragged by who? He is very much his own man and some of these decisions are injury enforced.

He's been top drawer for Leinster to be honest, one of our best players this season overall but it's a big step up and one that Tommy O'Donnell has already made so it's an odd call.

He's no less of an unknown than McCloskey, both gotta swim in the deep end on their first rodeo.

As much as it's nice to see new names come through and there might be a short reprieve from the "conservative Joe" rhetoric, I'd much rather have SOB and Payne available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Gotta agree with you. He is an interesting prospect. But it would be a fastracking like no other, and one that doesnt seem necessary through injury or lack of experienced decent level alternatives. A lot of players have done less yet waited in the wings for literally years to get their chance. His performances for Leinster this year, and I have seen most or all of them, have been good. But not so outstandingly outstanding that they demand inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah now anytime I've watched Lei ster he has stood out to me, but it may be the red scrum cap. But still he looks a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That team could beat England

Not sure about the tight 5, but if confirmed I look forward to seeing that backline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

You say that like there's something wrong with the old generation.
    Are we talking in a general sense about old people or about rugby players gone past their best before date? Would like clarification before responding!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

Gotta agree with you. He is an interesting prospect. But it would be a fastracking like no other, and one that doesnt seem necessary through injury or lack of experienced decent level alternatives. A lot of players had done less yet waited in the wings for literally years to get their chance. His performances for Leinster this year, and I have seen most or all of them, have been good. But no so outstandingly outstanding that they demand inclusion.

VDF has performed every bit as impressively as McCloskey. We have more depth at backrow [tested by injuries to POM, SOB] so there is less of a clamour for VDF. He certainly hasnt looked out of place in the ERCC games he played in either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement