Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Flying United business from Dublin. Does that get me Fast Track Security/Shorter queue at American 'security'/access to 51st & green lounge?

• Fast Track security - yes.
    • US Preclearance - I don't think so, from memory, possibly there's a business class queue there, but that's a very quick section anyway. The longer queue is the next part waiting for the Homeland Security agent, and there's no advantage to being business class through that.
    • 51st and Green - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The business queue at American security is the same queue as the priority lane for people in wheelchairs/mobility assistance. You can use it if you’ve a business ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Looking at booking flights and connecting via ZRH with Swiss. They are offering end to end flight from Dublin with a 40 minute connection window in ZRH. I understand this airport to be very efficient and with the end to end offering I am at ease that I would be put on the next available flight if i was to miss the connection. However what would be the chances i make a connection with 40 mins to spare? I understand I would need to do Passport control again.

The business queue at American security is the same queue as the priority lane for people in wheelchairs/mobility assistance. You can use it if you’ve a business ticket.

It's only for the security scan bit though, right? Not the border agents

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's only for the security scan bit though, right? Not the border agents

Yes. There’s no skipping the queue at the border agents unless your crew or you have global entry.

• Advertisement

Anyone done a shortish layover in Dubai with emirates? Ticket giving me 1hr 20m to go DUB-DXB-SIN. Think it’s landing in T3 and take off in T3. Business ticket if it makes a difference?

Know it’d be tight for Heathrow but that’s a whole different kettle :pac:

Anyone done a shortish layover in Dubai with emirates? Ticket giving me 1hr 20m to go DUB-DXB-SIN. Think it’s landing in T3 and take off in T3. Business ticket if it makes a difference?

Know it’d be tight for Heathrow but that’s a whole different kettle :pac:

Are you booking it all with Emirates? They won't offer you a connection that they don't think will work. Plus with being all on the same ticket, if you miss the connection due to a delay, they'll rebook you (particularly as you're flying business).

That said, should be more than doable.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Are you booking it all with Emirates? They won't offer you a connection that they don't think will work. Plus with being all on the same ticket, if you miss the connection due to a delay, they'll rebook you (particularly as you're flying business).

That said, should be more than doable.

booking through a corporate booking tool. all the one ticket. actually changed my parameters a little and ended up getting the earlier flights which weren't showing up earlier that gives me a 2hour and change layover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

I was on to Emirates this morning, we are looking to fly to Rome and use miles as to upgrade, we will be traveling with a 6 month old. We are paying for two adult and one infant economy ticket (she doesnt get a seat and sits on a lap). I was informed that if we use miles for an upgrade the infant will also need to use miles. Doesn't mean she will get a seat or (obviously) a business meal or anything. Quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Jude13 wrote: »
    I was on to Emirates this morning, we are looking to fly to Rome and use miles as to upgrade, we will be traveling with a 6 month old. We are paying for two adult and one infant economy ticket (she doesnt get a seat and sits on a lap). I was informed that if we use miles for an upgrade the infant will also need to use miles. Doesn't mean she will get a seat or (obviously) a business meal or anything. Quite annoying.

You're going to fly to Rome via Dubai instead of direct with another carrier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Nope Dubai to Rome, I thought this was general chat, apologies if it was limited to Dublin

I'm sure you're welcome to post general queries, it's just this is an Irish forum so if you don't specify, people will assume you're flying from Ireland.

dzilla wrote: »
    Looking at booking flights and connecting via ZRH with Swiss. They are offering end to end flight from Dublin with a 40 minute connection window in ZRH. I understand this airport to be very efficient and with the end to end offering I am at ease that I would be put on the next available flight if i was to miss the connection. However what would be the chances i make a connection with 40 mins to spare? I understand I would need to do Passport control again.

Anyone?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is very little chance of checked bags making it even if you do. The slightest delay on the outbound and you're screwed also - although they are liable for reaccomodating you.

L1011 wrote: »
    There is very little chance of checked bags making it even if you do. The slightest delay on the outbound and you're screwed also - although they are liable for reaccomodating you.

Yea I was thinking the same, why do they allow for such a tight booking on the system I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

dzilla wrote: »
    Connected through ZRH with the family on the way back from the hols. 1 hour connection and even had time for lunch and a beer. No passports or security required. Bags even made it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've connected in ZRH with that much time and me and my bags made it. If the flight is on time I would expect everything to be absolutely fine. Any delay and you might be in trouble but that is true of most connections.

Passport control could be an issue, but your bags won't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I see these connects fairly often, and I think to myself, there is possible money to be made as a professional compensation collector. You don't pay tax on compensation awards do you :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ZRH is generally a dream to transfer through, and SWISS are generally very reliable on the Dublin route in my experience (my handle might be biased though!).

Also, coming from Dublin there is no security check at ZRH which makes transferring easy.

If the transfer is short-haul it should be possible, but I'd leave longer for long-haul.

Thank you all. Puts my mind at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm flying Turkish Airlines soon and the flight is on a 737 800. I've checked Seatguru and it'll show me that there is no power at my seat on the V2 and V3 version but won't show anything for V1, which is the most common version. I'd hardly get that lucky that they have power at the seat on the V1 and is there anyway to find out what version I'll be flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Google Flights shows if the aircraft type has power outlets/IFE/Wi-Fi. It only mentions IFE for TK from Dublin so there most likely isn't any power outlets.

AFAIK there's power sockets in Business but not economy. that's DUB - IST.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

VG31 wrote: »
    Google Flights shows if the aircraft type has power outlets/IFE/Wi-Fi. It only mentions IFE for TK from Dublin so there most likely isn't any power outlets.
    AFAIK there's power sockets in Business but not economy. that's DUB - IST.

Thanks. Was thinking that it was a big ask for power in the cheap seats on a 737.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hi, I have a question and I'm finding it hard to get the right answer from Google.

Long story, short; I was flying back from the States on Sunday (1 connection in the US, 1 connection in London, 3 flights total) the first leg was delayed by ~2 hours meaning I missed the subsequent 2 connections.

Thankfully, American Airlines were able to reallocate me without much issue but it still resulted in a 5 hour delay.
    I've been chatting to them and they offered 5k points but I have no interest in opening a frequent flyer program with them, I told them this and they've gone off to review (their informality on Twitter is another thing!).

Does anyone know what the usual process is here, should I be entitled to compensation?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

razorblunt wrote: »
    Hi, I have a question and I'm finding it hard to get the right answer from Google.

Long story, short; I was flying back from the States on Sunday (1 connection in the US, 1 connection in London, 3 flights total) the first leg was delayed by ~2 hours meaning I missed the subsequent 2 connections.

Thankfully, American Airlines were able to reallocate me without much issue but it still resulted in a 5 hour delay.
    I've been chatting to them and they offered 5k points but I have no interest in opening a frequent flyer program with them, I told them this and they've gone off to review (their informality on Twitter is another thing!).

Does anyone know what the usual process is here, should I be entitled to compensation?

Thanks!
    No I don’t think you get anything, non EU airline and you weren’t delayed in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thanks, looks like they've at least offered a $50 flight voucher which is transferable so I'll give it to someone Stateside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

What time does the preclearance at Dublin open?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

What time does the preclearance at Dublin open?
    I think 7-7.30am. I’ve been in there at 8,30am personally for a 1050 departure. Quite a queue ahead of me so I estimated it had been open for an hour already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's been over a decade since I had pleasure of flying with in flight entertainment provided.

I've a couple of upcoming flights on a
    BA B744 and AA A330 & A321s. What's the deal with headphone sockets, do they still use the proprietary connections, and in flight power sockets, are they USB connections?

Advertisement