Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Your bag will be checked through to Thailand

For various reasons, visa and passport checks you should present yourself at a staffed check in desk

Aer Lingus is normally very good with onward boarding cards, so if you can make sure you have a seat selected on the Air China flights so Aer Lingus can issue the boarding card

If the Air China boarding card isn't issued in Shannon, collect it at Heathrow or try online check in with Air China

that's great thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I have just checked in online for a return flight from Dublin to Manchester for the end of December to the beginning of January.However,I have only been issued with one boarding pass,for the flight from Dublin to Manchester,and not for the return flight.
    Earlier this year,I booked a return flight from Dublin to Edinburgh,and once I checked in online I was provided with both boarding passes,but as I've just mentioned,not on this occasion.

Can anyone at all here explain this,or do I need to contact Ryanair directly?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Can anyone at all here explain this,or do I need to contact Ryanair directly?
    Thanks in advance.

is it too early to check in for return flight. I think you can only book in 60 days before flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Does anybody know of a direct route from Dublin to Las Vegas? Or is there one in the works that may come soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Does anybody know of a direct route from Dublin to Las Vegas? Or is there one in the works that may come soon?

No and there's unlikely to be one any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I've booked some business flights to various European destinations over the next week, andi was hoping to leave the passport at home and only use my passport card.

But I've realised that the travel booking system we use (Concur) only has my passport number, not my passport card number (they are different).

Checking in the bookings on Aer Lingus' site, they don't have my passport details listed anywhere, so should I be fine to travel with just the card? It's France, Austria, and the UK, none of which require A.P.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No idea if it makes any difference to you (no idea what Concur is), but bear in mind that you can't check in online with Aer Lingus using a passport card.

I got caught with this recently, and had to input my passport number and hope that nobody noticed the difference (they didn't).

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No idea if it makes any difference to you (no idea what Concur is), but bear in mind that you can't check in online with Aer Lingus using a passport card.

I got caught with this recently, and had to input my passport number and hope that nobody noticed the difference (they didn't).

hmmm, when I checked in this morning via the Aer Lingus app, it didn't ask for my passport number at all, iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

MJohnston wrote: »
    hmmm, when I checked in this morning via the Aer Lingus app, it didn't ask for my passport number at all, iirc

Well I definitely was - it was a flight home from Spain - I don't know if the country makes any difference, seeing as I was leaving it.

Anyway, I just said I'd pass it on for what it's worth.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well I definitely was - it was a flight home from Spain - I don't know if the country makes any difference, seeing as I was leaving it.

Anyway, I just said I'd pass it on for what it's worth.

Ah yeah, Spain and Portugal require 'Advance Passenger Information', which is why you would have had to provide that, I think.

Thanks for responding though!

I'll take my passport with me just in case to France, and I'll report back if I didn't need it, just to complete the circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Currently in Portugal. Had to use my main passport for check in. And then on this end the airport had electronic gates that didn't except passport cards. So I had to use main passport here too. Passport cards becoming sort of useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

VG31 wrote: »
    No and there's unlikely to be one any time soon.

Aer Lingus mentioned they would as part of their fleet expansion the other day

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ah yeah, Spain and Portugal require 'Advance Passenger Information', which is why you would have had to provide that, I think.

Thanks for responding though!

I'll take my passport with me just in case to France, and I'll report back if I didn't need it, just to complete the circle.

The UK also has API, but not from Ireland - this is worth noting should you be flying to the UK from elsewhere. I've had to do it from Denmark, then queue in a lengthy immigration queue for over an hour for a single 156 seater aircraft!

Concur is an awful heap of proverbial so I wouldn't trust it to get anything right anyway.

To update on the above - was able to use only a passport card both to and from Paris, not a peep of fuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

15KG (smallest) checked bag from France with Aer Lingus now €37 each way? Really?! :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

15KG (smallest) checked bag from France with Aer Lingus now €37 each way? Really?! :mad:

If true that’s madness! If you’re traveling during busy peak seasons they often check in 10kg hand luggage for free at the check in desk or the gate, due to a limited number of hand luggage being accommodated onboard. If that helps you could possibly avail of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

At that price would you be better off just booking a plus fare that includes your bag?

They have usually been taking bags at checkin for free, signs up at check in desks all summer, but you can’t be sure they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I've just looked at the Aer Lingus website and the 15kg checked bag is coming up both ways between Dublin and Paris as EUR 20 when added online to a saver fare over the Christmas period?

Paris is still a "near" destination.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/checked-baggage/#/tab-0-flights-within-europe

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I've just looked at the Aer Lingus website and the 15kg checked bag is coming up both ways between Dublin and Paris as EUR 20 when added online to a saver fare over the Christmas period?

Paris is still a "near" destination.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/checked-baggage/#/tab-0-flights-within-europe

Flying from Bordeaux which I would have considered a 'near' destination given the flight is 1h40m. Not as close as Paris, no, but until a few weeks ago it was €35 each way. Only €4 more but I thought €35 was ludicrous to begin with.

Flying from Bordeaux which I would have considered a 'near' destination given the flight is 1h40m. Not as close as Paris, no, but until a few weeks ago it was €35 each way. Only €4 more but I thought €35 was ludicrous to begin with.

Bizarrely, it's still €35 when booking a new flight, but €37 for adding a bag to an existent reservation. Is this a punishment fee for not booking everything at once? :confused:

• Advertisement

Bizarrely, it's still €35 when booking a new flight, but €37 for adding a bag to an existent reservation. Is this a punishment fee for not booking everything at once? :confused:

The near charges stretch to a line from Amsterdam to Nantes. Beyond that is “mid” or “far”.

If you add the bag at the time of booking to a saver fare then the €35 charge applies for mid destinations for the 15kg bag.

If you add it online later it’s EUR 37.

That’s all clearly spelt out on the page that I linked to above.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The near charges stretch to a line from Amsterdam to Nantes. Beyond that is “mid” or “far”.

If you add the bag at the time of booking to a saver fare then the €35 charge applies for mid destinations for the 15kg bag.

If you add it online later it’s EUR 37.

That’s all clearly spelt out on the page that I linked to above.

Fair enough. Hands up, I didn't read that page when I made my booking. It just seems like an arbitrary supplement to add but I guess that's the name of the game with low-cost carriers. It was really just a cathartic moan about pricing in general when the bags cost more than the booking. Nothing else to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

I'm flying to Faro with Aer Lingus in a couple of weeks. Their website says that you can use a boarding pass on your smartphone at most airports within Europe but that Donegal and Faro airports don't accept mobile phone boarding passes.

However, there is no problem with using a Ryanair boarding pass on your smartphone at Faro Airport, which I have done twice already this year. Any idea why Aer Lingus have a problem and does anyone know what they're doing (if anything) to rectify it?

And does the problem apply to both outgoing and incoming flights?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Different ground handlers most likely - Ryanair use Groundforce in Portugal, Aer Lingus may use Servisair. Incoming would not know or care about the boarding pass media used at the origin airport in this case. Donegal traffic is handled by the airport itself, there are no handlers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

If it helps, you can check in online and select your seats and reprint your boarding pass at faro airport, this is free of charge

Locker10a wrote: »
    If it helps, you can check in online and select your seats and reprint your boarding pass at faro airport, this is free of charge

Thanks, it's the trip home that's the issue. Getting the boarding card printed can be problematic.

I presume it's ok to use an electronic boarding pass on the flight from Dublin?

abff wrote: »
    I presume it's ok to use an electronic boarding pass on the flight from Dublin?

Sorry, just realised that L1011 already answered this question in his reply to my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI also use groundforce now in Portugal having previously been with Portway. Not exactly sure why it’s an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Here's a slightly random question. If you're checked in and have your boarding pass for a T2 flight, can you go through security in T1? Since airside they are connected with no other security in the middle, technically this should be possible, but also maybe they just don't let you.

Reason is, I'm planning to arrive on a BA flight from LCY at 10.25 in Terminal 1, and hoping to catch a flight to Kerry with EI at 12.10. All going well, I should have time to switch terminals (it's not all on a connecting ticket unfortunately), but it would make life easier if I could go back through the security gates at T1 since the EI flight will probably go from gates down there anyway.

Anyway just asking out of interest. Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Here's a slightly random question. If you're checked in and have your boarding pass for a T2 flight, can you go through security in T1? Since airside they are connected with no other security in the middle, technically this should be possible, but also maybe they just don't let you.

Reason is, I'm planning to arrive on a BA flight from LCY at 10.25 in Terminal 1, and hoping to catch a flight to Kerry with EI at 12.10. All going well, I should have time to switch terminals (it's not all on a connecting ticket unfortunately), but it would make life easier if I could go back through the security gates at T1 since the EI flight will probably go from gates down there anyway.

Anyway just asking out of interest. Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks.

Yes of course you can.

Advertisement