Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Locker10a wrote: »
    So what happens if they don’t get enough volunteers to gate check bags?

I think they keep track and once capacity has been reached, everyone else has no choice but to allow their bag to be put in the hold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

abff wrote: »
    I think they keep track and once capacity has been reached, everyone else has no choice but to allow their bag to be put in the hold.

Well that’s what I thought, so not really optional, if the lockers are full they’re full!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I was on an Ethiopian Airlines flight from Addis to Dublin that was delayed 8 hours, and also had a to wait a few days for my luggage to turn up. Is there a way to claim compensation, or is that not possible since they're not an Eu carrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was on an Ethiopian Airlines flight from Addis to Dublin that was delayed 8 hours, and also had a to wait a few days for my luggage to turn up. Is there a way to claim compensation, or is that not possible since they're not an Eu carrier?

Unfortunately doesn't look like it:
    EU air passenger rights apply:

• If your flight is within the EU and is operated either by an EU or a non-EU airline
    • If your flight arrives in the EU from outside the EU and is operated by an EU airline
    • If your flight departs from the EU to a non-EU country operated by an EU or a non-EU airline

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

MJohnston wrote: »
    Unfortunately doesn't look like it:

His flight falls into the third category - from the EU to non-EU by non-EU carrier.

It is a condition for airlines operating into/out of the EU that they comply with EU regs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    His flight falls into the third category - from the EU to non-EU by non-EU carrier.

It is a condition for airlines operating into/out of the EU that they comply with EU regs.

No, their flight was from non-EU to EU, which is the opposite of what that category is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

MJohnston wrote: »
    No, their flight was from non-EU to EU, which is the opposite of what that category is about.

Yes sorry, just copped.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

:mad::mad::mad: Compo culture alive and well! Claim for everything!!!

Then people wonder why the cost of their flights keep going up. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Their luggage was delayed for days, presumably they had expenses as a result. The airline didn’t deliver the service expected and handle luggage appropriately. They surely shouldn’t be out of pocket for the airlines incompetence. That’s not compo it’s reimbursement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

No you are right, they should seek some form of payment. Maybe also claim that their inflight meal was cold. How about a claim because of the passenger that was beside them was picking their nose the entire flight. In fact while they are at maybe they should try claiming off boards for the bad advice they might have gotten here. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

CLAIM CLAIM CLAIM, its the only way those pesky airlines will learn!!!

I largely agree with you about compo culture, but delayed, lost, luggage should definitely be compensated for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Had my luggage lost for four days when I was in Chicago for a number of meetings almost 30 years ago. Ended up having to buy a new suit, shirt, tie, shoes, etc. The airline offered me 50% of the cost, which I figured was fair enough as I still had the suit, shoes, etc.

I didn't feel I was being unreasonable or adding to insurance/flight costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Then people wonder why the cost of their flights keep going up.

Are the cost of flights going up?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airlines can improve their handling - and sell sensible connections only - and avoid these claims. The Montreal Convention has a sensible enough limit for claims (about 1350 quid at current SDR rates).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I enquired earlier in the year re: T2 and lounges but asking the same now please for T1. Been a couple of years since I flew out of there and in a few weeks will be heading to NCE with the OH using FR via T1. How are the lounge options there these days and whats the prefarable option please ? Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Strumms wrote: »
    I enquired earlier in the year re: T2 and lounges but asking the same now please for T1. Been a couple of years since I flew out of there and in a few weeks will be heading to NCE with the OH using FR via T1. How are the lounge options there these days and whats the prefarable option please ? Many thanks :)
    There’s only one, DAA and it’s pretty poor. Although the coffee has improved 100% since they got a proper machine in the last year or two. After that it’s basic cereals, juices and stale pastries.

You’re better off in Marquette (think that’s the name).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There’s only one, DAA and it’s pretty poor. Although the coffee has improved 100% since they got a proper machine in the last year or two. After that it’s basic cereals, juices and stale pastries.

You’re better off in Marquette (think that’s the name).

Ok yes I might skip it if that’s the case and spend the cash on something a little more substantial. In one of the eateries such as the Marquette. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Would you get away with a weekend style bag as a carry on with Ryanair Im flying with aer lingus but returning with Ryanair which is a pain as I cant take home anything, would I have to pay for a bag 30x37x12, or are they that strict?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I travelled in Nov/Dec and did not see any checking of sizes. The smaller bag should fit under the seat in front so if a soft sided one it could be squashed in if not too full. Take out couple of items and wear them or put in coat pockets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Hey guys, sorry if this isn't in the right section but just looking for some advice! I had booked a return flight Dublin-UK with aer lingus for next week but due to unforeseen circumstances I can no longer go and have booked other flights for dates which I will be able to travel on. I tried to look into the details for the nogo flights (I'm not overly worried about writing off the original fare as it was the cheapest nonrefundable option at the time of booking) but I don't want to be hit with additional charges. Does the missed departure fee apply to bookings that aren't actually checked in on the system, as in the passengers didn't check in prior to takeoff? From what I can see there's an admin fee for trying to cancel the flights too, and I'm already down quite a bit on the basic cost of the return flights and would like to avoid paying anything needlessly, if someone could advise me on what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

Elmidena wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry if this isn't in the right section but just looking for some advice! I had booked a return flight Dublin-UK with aer lingus for next week but due to unforeseen circumstances I can no longer go and have booked other flights for dates which I will be able to travel on. I tried to look into the details for the nogo flights (I'm not overly worried about writing off the original fare as it was the cheapest nonrefundable option at the time of booking) but I don't want to be hit with additional charges. Does the missed departure fee apply to bookings that aren't actually checked in on the system, as in the passengers didn't check in prior to takeoff? From what I can see there's an admin fee for trying to cancel the flights too, and I'm already down quite a bit on the basic cost of the return flights and would like to avoid paying anything needlessly, if someone could advise me on what to do?

Just do nothing. There's no point cancelling the flights as you will probably get nothing back on a UK flight. The "missed departure fee" is the charge for if you miss your flight and want to travel on the next available flight. It's not some kind of penalty for a no-show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

Flybe -
    Why do Flybe flights not turn their transponder on until after take off and before landing, its really annoying when trying to track a live flight.
    And is there a reason why they then decide to use another code for the flight instead of the intended incoming flight code?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rameire wrote: »
    Flybe -
    Why do Flybe flights not turn their transponder on until after take off and before landing, its really annoying when trying to track a live flight.
    And is there a reason why they then decide to use another code for the flight instead of the intended incoming flight code?

They may be picked up by mode S MLAT rather than ADS-B, most of Flybes aircraft are older EJets and Q400s that were not factory fitted with ADS-B

MLAT will drop off on approach and only pick up after landing. Codes I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Does anyone know if British Airways offer the direct service from Heathrow to Nashville all year round?

I looked on their site yesterday and there were no direct flights available for end of March period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Look again, 3x weekly and daily from 31st of March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Have been offered a AA flight from LHR to SFO. In comparasion to EI's service, utside of the DUB direct aspect, what is the AA product like in comparasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Have been offered a AA flight from LHR to SFO. In comparasion to EI's service, utside of the DUB direct aspect, what is the AA product like in comparasion.

You sure that's not a code share on BA metal? AA don't operate that route, SFO is a UA stronghold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

john boye wrote: »
    You sure that's not a code share on BA metal? AA don't operate that route, SFO is a UA stronghold.

Cheers for that, will get some more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Myself & my partner flew into Dublin over the Xmas (I'm Irish, she's Spanish). She presented her National ID card at passport control and was asked (a) where she'd flown from & (b) if she lived in Ireland.

Am I missing something here? Are they entitled to ask such questions to an EU national in possession of the required, legitimate form of ID? i.e. regarding free movement within the EU states.

It's the first time we've ever encountered questions such as these when flying into Ireland. Seemed a bit odd.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

JuanJose wrote: »
    Myself & my partner flew into Dublin over the Xmas (I'm Irish, she's Spanish). She presented her National ID card at passport control and was asked (a) where she'd flown from & (b) if she lived in Ireland.

Am I missing something here? Are they entitled to ask such questions to an EU national in possession of the required, legitimate form of ID? i.e. regarding free movement within the EU states.

It's the first time we've ever encountered questions such as these when flying into Ireland. Seemed a bit odd.

Thanks.

Could be Ireland is not in schengen, but they can ask questions anyway and could even refuse you on certain grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They usually don't bother but yup, they are entitled to ask whatever questions they like. Usually they ask where you are flying from, and what city you live in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Flying United business from Dublin. Does that get me Fast Track Security/Shorter queue at American 'security'/access to 51st & green lounge?

Advertisement